Bio Diesel - Dave Croker
Hi there
I own a Peugeot 406 HDi on a 02 plate, and I want to try running it on Bio Diesel at 5 or 10% but I cant find out from Peugeot UK if this will harm the engine. They claim to have no information on the subject!
I also have the option of using 100% Bio Diesel, but as the car is still under warranty I don't want to cause any problems.
So far all only problem could be with any rubber seals in the fuel line, but I think all new cars use synthetic rubber.
I am aware not to change to 100% in one go due to it's cleaning action.
Regards
Dave Croker
Bio Diesel - andymc {P}
Peugeot-Citroen recently upped their warranty cover to include the use of up to 30% biodiesel blended with derv. I haven't heard that they have made any modifications to the HDI engine in order to facilitate this, so you can feel safe about using it. To be quite honest, if the fuel meets the appropriate industry standards then I see no reason why you shouldn't use 100%. As this is a French car, it's worth remembering that all "normal" diesel sold in France contains around 5% biodiesel.

Synthetic rubber parts have been in use by all manufacturers ever since the advent of ULSD in the early nineties, and are unaffected by biodiesel. In fact, even a car old enough to contain natural rubber components would probably be perfectly fine, as the rubber would be so vulcanised by now it could survive a nuclear bomb!

Feel free to search for posts under my name and using the term "biodiesel", there have been loads over the last couple of years or so. Whereabouts is your source for 100% biodiesel, btw?
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Bio Diesel - wd 40
Andy -
there are no biodiesel retailers in my part of the world. What's to stop me putting 2 litres of veg oil in the tank every time i fill up ?

Bio Diesel - andymc {P}
Over time, using straight vegetable oil as fuel can lead to coking of injectors. Not saying it definitely will, especially in the proportions you're talking about, but it is a risk you'd want to be aware of. Vegoil also becomes very viscous in cool temperatures (almost like the kind of spread you can use straight from the fridge!) and this can cause clogging of fuel lines etc. Again, if heavily diluted with derv this would be much less of an issue but what is going through your fuel system (especially fuel pump) would still be more viscous than derv or biodiesel.

Also, unless you plan to declare to C&E that you're using vegoil as fuel and are prepared to fill out all the forms and pay the duty, you'd be breaking the law and if caught could face confiscation of your car, a large fine and/or prison for duty evasion. You could also be presented with a bill for unpaid duty based not on the amount of fuel there was in your tank at the time, but on the number of miles on your odometer, which they will assume have all been done on non-duty-paid fuel, at least for the length of time you've owned the car.

You can convert your engine to run on pure vegoil by installing a fuel pre-heating system, or a two-tank system, but it's a bit more expensive and will obviously void your warranty if you have one, as well as counting as a modification for insurance purposes.

Roughly whereabouts are you?
--
andymc
Bio Diesel - wd 40
Roughly whereabouts are you?
--

'border country' in NW england - i.e when doing a county search I could use Lancs, Cheshire, Merseyside or Greater Manchester, but all these counties are totally devoid of biodiesel retailers according to www.biodieselfillingstations.co.uk/alloutlets.htm

even tesco's arent selling their 'global diesel' in this part of the world. (And no way should it be more expensive than normal diesel)

there is a wholesaler in Southport I believe, but I don't think thats a viable option.
I'm just curious to see if there is any observable difference, and what I might do is buy a 20litre jerry can and stick a litre of veg oil in it then fill it with forecourt diesel, and run like that just for a few weeks - what do you think ?

Bio Diesel - v8man
There is a good article in this months Car Mechanics mag about running diesel cars on chip fat oil. Unfortunately it is not suitable for HDIs.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
Bio Diesel - Schnitzel
Just do it Dave, nothing ventured nothing gained. Someone has to be brave enough to do it, and many people have. The trouble is, there is a lot of misinformation on the net by the enemies of biofuels and their agents, so it's more of an art than a science. Put some diesel in a jar, swill it around, shake it, for a few minutes, get used to it's charateristics using your eyes and motor functions, then add vegetable oil and see how much the properties change. There are all kinds of molecular-level interactions which may be of significance. For example, (its over a decade since I did Chemistry at school) but vegoil is di-polar, and diesel is a mixture of polar, non-polar and bipolar, so it should act as both H donors and H acceptor to cancel out the self-attraction of vegetable oil that makes it gloopy.
Bio Diesel - v8man
Gosh!! I did O Level chemistry at school and I don't remember that lot. Mind you, I was mucking about a lot!
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
Bio Diesel - Sofa Spud
>>>"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do"

What, all in one car?

Cheers, SS

Bio Diesel - Biblebasher
If you use veg oil as an additive, premix it 50/50 with parafin then pour it in. I use approx 4 litres of this mix with the rest being forecourt derv(fuel tank capacity 50 litres). Normally I buy Sains****'s own label veg oil @ about 60p a litre(less if you buy greater quantities).
Bio Diesel - Dynamic Dave
Normally I buy Sains****'s own label....

As you're not talking about Sainsburys in a negative manner, what is the point in trying to obscure the name? It's like saying "I took my car to a Va***all/F**d/Ho**a dealership" It's blatently obvious what word you've obscured.

DD. BR Moderator.
Bio Diesel - andymc {P}
I seem to have missed the earlier query about mixing 1 litre of vegoil with 19 of derv - sorry about that. I guess that in the short term there should be no physical problem with it, even at this time of year, as the effect of low temperatures on the vegoil should be counteracted by the antigel agents in the derv. Longer-term use could lead to coking of cylinders, although with such a small proportion of vegoil to derv it would probably take a long time for this to manifest itself.

Aside from that, I would remind anybody interested in this that if you put vegoil, paraffin, kerosene etc in your car's fuel tank, you are legally required to pay the Road Fuel Duty on it. You can contact Customs & Excise to find out how to register, complete the paperwork, etc. Ordinary derv bought at the pumps includes the cost of the fuel duty, of course.

As this issue can affect you quite profoundly, I feel it's worth going into a little more detail here.

If you are caught by police/C&E with illegal fuel in your car, the penalties can be (and always are) severe. The minimum you are looking at is a £750 fine, but your car could be impounded/confiscated, you could be presented with a bill for unpaid duty based not on the size of your fuel tank, but on the figure displayed on your odometer. Say you drive a car with 50000 miles up. How would you like to be forced to pay the equivalent of 50000 miles' worth of road fuel duty?

C&E have greater powers than the police in terms of *not* requiring a warrant to search your house, car, garage, place of business, etc., if they suspect duty evasion. They can stop you as you drive your car and rather than asking if they can dip your tank, they inform you that they are going to dip your tank. You do not have the right to refuse. While some people perceive the risk as being minimal, it only takes one nosy neighbour or someone with a grudge to shop you. People occasionally complain about police "disinterest" when they report a crime. I can assure you that if C&E become aware of duty evasion, they will follow it up.

Happy driving!
--
andymc
Bio Diesel - Schnitzel
Please be aware that C&E do NOT have powers to enter your place of dwelling.

Also do not use a rebateable fuel such as gas oil, paraffin/kerosene,
It is illegal to put these fuels into the tank of any vehicle with a registration document, except for excepted vehicles (gritters, excavators etc..)

Rebateable fuels will stain your fuel system red or yellow, and they can test the filter and seize your vehicle even if there is no rebateable fuel in the vehicle.

It is not illegal to use vegetable oil, however you must pay duty, and this may be done retrospectively, although they will usually insist that you should have registered with them first.
Bio Diesel - Schnitzel
www.hmce.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/downloadFile?...4

Bio Diesel - chrisa
just having a look at some threads and came across this one,,, and must put the record straight

there are 2 types of bio diesel,
veg based with methanol and veg based without methanol.

methanol based bio diesel which is whats sold in certain filling stations will not harm modern engines(its actually a mix of normal with bio), it will however eat the rubber seals in fuel lines etc in older engines, so check first. New VW handbooks now contain sections on the use of methanol based diesel.

You will probably find that your car runs better on it.

however, remember the original diesel engine was designed to run on peanut oil, modern engines are designed to run on crude based diesel, mainly because of its anti waxing properties at low winter temperatures, in winter use only a mix of 80 normal to 20 bio.

veg based diesel is totally different. Your car will run (just) on veg oil, but when the oil cools it waxes and cloggs injectors resulting in a big bill. A mix of whitespirit and veg oil 70-30 works but is more expensive than ordinary diesel.

Bio fuel of northwales blends veg oil with spirit to produce a type of fuel, but it is thick and does clogg injectors, merc and vw engines seem to be the best in handling it, mainly because they need to as germany uses large amounts of veg based bio fuel.

unfortunitly, customs does have the right to enter your house if they think you are producing fuel for use. You can pay vat on it yourself every month via a special form but it opens you up to inspections which will happen.

All this talk is completely pointless however, the british government is about to pass a law that changes how veg based diesel can be produced and used. If you produce veg diesel without the use of methanol, you will need to be registered as a bio waste handler and recycler, which is very expensive, also anyone who uses your fuel will have to be registered as a bio waste user, hmmm another expensive job making it pointless.

shame the rest of europe is using veg based bio diesel and we are basicly banning it. or making it very hard to produce and use.

the final answer ---- reduce fuel tax on diesel and save the worlds oil reserves.
Bio Diesel - andymc {P}
First of all on the issue of powers of C&E - I've read the relevant section of the document above and am a bit perplexed. The reason for this is that the practice obviously does not match the theory. I'm aware of at least one person whose private dwelling was raided by C&E unannounced and without being told "we have a warrant to search your premises" - at least, that is my information. It's always possible I was misinformed. Regardless, he had a substantial amount of illegal material in the house, so they had him bang to rights on that score, but what they did clearly contradicts what is written in that document. I'll see if I can find out more.

On the issue of types of biodiesel -
Oh dear, this could be a thorny one, but I hope not. I would like to be supportive of all renewable fuels, since I am an advocate of biodiesel and renewables myself, but I cannot advocate that anyone should buy the product described above as "a mix of white spirit and veg oil 70-30". This is not biodiesel. The best explanation/definition I have encountered for these fuel products so far is that they are a mix of vegetable oil unspecified "thinners" - sometimes, but not always, white spirit.

To be referred to as "biodiesel", the fuel has to be the result of a chemical reaction between vegetable oil and either methanol or ethanol, the end product of which is called an ester - hence the abbreviation RME, for Rape Methyl Ester. This name means the biodiesel (ester) has been made by reacting rapeseed oil with methanol. Any vegetable oil will do, it doesn't have to be rapeseed (in fact you can even use animal tallows), but there must be a chemical reaction rather than just a non-reactive mix of substances which are then put into the fuel tank together. Otherwise, you do not have biodiesel - as described above, you have straight vegetable oil, in this case mixed with a solvent but not chemically altered in any way.

I had substantial correspondence with some users/advocates of this product last year. Unfortunately, despite multiple attempts, I did not get specific answers to specific questions about:
- the content of the fuel (i.e. what the thinners are put in when white spirit is not used)
- any awareness they had personally of potential damage it could do to engines
- whether any research had been done by the producers to show that using this substance as fuel would/wouldn't cause engine damage
- whether it was produced to meet any recognised fuel standard
- whether the company selling the product would undertake to repair (or pay for repairs of) any such damage to their customers' engines, should this occur.
As I say, I received no clear answers to these questions. I can only make the general observation that it's one thing for people to choose to experiment with their own cars in the full knowledge of what they are doing. It's another for people not to be made aware of any risks they *may* be taking when buying an alternative fuel they (mistakenly) believe to be biodiesel.

Biodiesel (in other words, the ester product) is not being banned, and is subject to a 20% fuel duty concession from the treasury. There are recognised standards for this fuel which I have reproduced on this site before.

On another point, I am at the beginning of my fourth winter on biodiesel. The lowest proportion mix with derv I have used is 90% biodiesel to 10% derv. If the fuel is produced to the recognised industry standard, a bio:derv blend as low as 20:80 is not necessary in our climate. By the way, I'm fairly sure one only needs to register as a bio-waste handler if the feedstock is waste cooking oil rather than fresh, unused cooking oil. I agree that for those wishing to make their own alternative fuel for private use, there should be a much more benevolent legislative regime. However, I believe that all commercial producers/suppliers should be held to the same quality standards.

--
andymc
Bio Diesel - pullgees
A 2derv :1cooking oil ratio has no ill effects on older diesels. Pre mixing is not necessary either. Coking problems is just a worry theory. By the time that happens if it happens the aging vehicle will be due for replacing anyway.
Bio Diesel - Schnitzel
Yes, I run 50:50 in a BMW tds, have done for around 50,000 miles 2.5 years, and the engine is sweet as a dicky bird! I also have no coking or injector fouling problems touch wood. I don't use additives as a rule, I just thing food-grade oil is so clean due to the horrific process it goes through before being put in clear bottles!
Bio Diesel - andymc {P}
Fair enough. With such a high derv content I would guess there's little enought risk of coking anyway, but I freely admit I don't know enough about running SVO as fuel to comment more than I already have. I wouldn't put straight vegoil in my own car, but each to their own. This sort of reinforces what I was getting at before - you are doing this with your own car, you know what risks there might be and you're making an informed decision with your own property. Of greater concern to me would be the possible effects of unspecified solvents used to "thin" vegetable oil, with the resulting mix sold commercially as road fuel.
--
andymc
Bio Diesel - horsepower
I've been running a 2001 citroen HDI on esterified biodiesel (from ID oils near York), for last few hundred miles - the tank is now pure biodiesel, I reckon. Runs great, but two questions please - It is a bit slower to start in the morning now (i.e. turns over 2-3 times before firing, instead of instant like it used to) - is this because the weather is colder? and the engine has done 84000 miles, teh filters and oil were changed when I ought it at 80000 miles, and I ran it on mineral diesel or Rix diesel until fairly recently, so is it due a change again. If I have to start using Rix again (I live about 50 miles from york, so can't be sure will always be able to use bio), will I have to change filters a third time, when I return to bio?
TIA

Bio Diesel - andymc {P}
Not sure about the slower starting - thinking back, I guess something similar has happened with my cars, but only on very rare occasions after a particularly cold night, when it maybe takes fractionally longer for the engine to "catch". To be honest, I don't think it's anything to do with using biodiesel, as this would when there has been a fairly severe frost overnight. When I say slightly longer, I'm talking literally fractions of a second longer for me to run the starter motor. I've never had the experience of sitting there with the starter motor chugging away, failing to get the engine going - my cars have always started first time, every time, without a struggle.

One thing that can happen is that if a car has done a lot of miles on derv, there's a possibility that a certain amount of sludge has accumulated in the fuel system. This is normal, especially if the derv previously used hasn't always been top quality. However, biodiesel is a solvent for this stuff (in much the same way as commercial injector cleaners are, I suppose) and cleans the fuel system out till it's clean as a whistle. Whatever gunge is cleaned out will be deposited in the fuel filter, which (if there's a lot) can lead to a slightly suffocated engine until the filter is changed. It has happened to me, much more noticeably with the old 525 TD than with the Passat, even though both had about 90k miles on the clock when I acquired them. This is why I advise anyone changing over for the first time to straight biodiesel (B100) or a blend with a high bio content (say, B50 or higher) that it's better to do so a relatively short time before a service - say 1000 miles or so. That way, you're replacing the fuel filter anyway and it has time to accumulate the extra gunge. Once you've started using biodiesel on a semi-regular basis (say, as little as every tenth fill) it will keep your system cleaner, so you shouldn't get the same build-up and sudden flush-out of dirt - I can't see it happening again.

BTW, my supplier is about 50 miles from me as well - when I call in, I'm in the habit of filling as many jerrycans/drums as will fit in the boot. That can keep me going for six or seven weeks at a time. If I do run out, I just run on derv until I get more biodiesel - hasn't caused a problem in nearly 100k miles. I've bought a fuel pump that attaches to my battery drill, so filling the car from a jerrycan on the driveway is quick and easy. If you do this, just make sure you wipe up any spills from the paintwork straight away, or it could have the same effect as using washing-up liquid as screenwash.

One last thought - I don't know off the top of my head what ID sells, but is the biodiesel you're getting from Rix a 5% blend? If so, there's not much difference between running on that and running on derv. My comments apply to running on a higher proportion of biodiesel - 50% or more.
--
andymc
Bio Diesel - horsepower
many thanks, andymc. Will do a service ASAP!

The Rix is the B5:M95 stuff, ID is B100%, esterified from waste fryer oil.
Bio Diesel - andymc {P}
It might actually be worth waiting another few hundred miles before doing a service, just to make sure that the same thing doesn't happen to your next fuel filter - give it enough time that most or all of the gunge is cleaned out onto the one you're about to replace.

Also, if you're not doing the service yourself, ask your mechanic not to dump the filter, so you can cut it open and have a look inside. Then you'll know whether or not any excess gunge has been cleaned out of the system.
--
andymc
Bio Diesel - big al pug hdi
can anyone tell me if the common rail engine, the HDI produced by peugeot/Citroen can run on biodiesel (i mean blends stronger than 50% bio)? Also, for the same engine, are there any issues with running about 5% blend of pure, new vegetable oil in the tank with conventional derv?
Bio Diesel - andymc {P}
PSA diesels are warranted to run on up to 30% blend. However, I have never come across a valid reason as to why it shouldn't be 100%. I used that in a brand new Clio dci for about 12k miles with no ill effects.

As for mixing in 5% vegetable oil, there is still the possibility (however slight) of the same risks described above in previous posts. This would also be a breach of warranty, if there's still a valid one.
--
andymc
Bio Diesel from ID Oils nin York - pazza
Hi Horsepower,

I live in York and drive a Citroen HDi too and would like to start using bio-diesel.

Are you still using bio-diesel from ID Oils ?

Even using TESCO Diesel (5% bio mixture) my car is still slow to start on cold mornings; 4 to 5 turns when the temperature is below 5oC.

Varoius Bio-Diesel Forums recommend changing the cars filters soon after switching to bio-diesel as it acts a cleaning agent. So you may need to replace the low pressure filter at the front.

Can you let me know how you are getting on with using Bio Diesel from ID Oils too, as then I to may buy some from them.

Regards

Pazza
Bio Diesel from ID Oils nin York - Dynamic Dave
Hi Horsepower,

Pazza, unfortunately he hasn't been back to this forum since Sun 14 Nov 2004.

DD. BR Moderator.
Bio Diesel - DP
The handbook for my wife's Polo 1.9D (R plate) actually mentions that RME biodiesel can be used instead of conventional diesel fuel.
Bio Diesel - andymc {P}
Yep, all VAG diesels have been warranted to use 100% biodiesel for years. It's only more recently that other manufacturers have started to catch up.
--
andymc
Bio Diesel - big al pug hdi
Hi,

How have you got on with the peugeot issues regardign using biodiesel, i'd be interested to know, bieng an owner of a 307 HDI myself
Bio Diesel - andymc {P}
Just an update with some information that's new to me ...

For those who run on vegetable oil (not biodiesel) - I found out yesterday that running vegetable oil as fuel can often result in polymerisation of the engine oil, causing it to become much more viscous and far less effective in lubricating the engine. It would seem this is because of the glycerol content - which is removed when changing vegetable oil into biodiesel. I don't know whether/how much this effect would be reduced if you mix vegetable oil with derv, or in what proportions etc. I was told that if you run on pure vegetable oil, you'd probably need to change the engine oil as often as every 2-3k miles. I'll post any more details I can find out as soon as I can.
--
andymc
Bio Diesel - machika
Aside from the technical issues, is vegetable oil a cheaper alternative? What is the cost of buying it (in bulk), including any tax to be paid?
Bio Diesel - Schnitzel
Veg oil is about £9-£10 for £20 litres at the moment.
Usually rape or soya. Tax is about 60p a litre the same as Petrol and Diesel, as it is not classed as a Biofuel to the relevant regulatory standard, so you don't get the 25p rebate that you do for proper biodiesel.
Bio Diesel - machika
So it is about 50p/litre to buy, plus 60p/litre for tax. That is pretty expensive fuel. What is the point of buying it then?
Bio Diesel - andymc {P}
You can often get it for free/very cheap from your local chippy after they have used it to cook the chips with. People have been doing it for years. Filter out all the burnt crunchy bits and if you live in a cold climate like ours, install a pre-heater system in your car (or a small second fuel tank for starting & stopping on derv), or mix it in the proportion of your choice with derv, and away you go. Also, it is a lot cleaner as a fuel than derv or petrol in terms of tailpipe emissions, plus it is renewable.
Personally I prefer biodiesel (especially after what I discovered the other day), but each to their own. As for buying fresh cooking oil for 50p a litre, not everyone is scrupulous enough to register with C&E to pay the duty when using it as fuel ...
--
andymc
Bio Diesel - glowplug
SVO in a HDi.
Just do it Dave, nothing ventured nothing gained

So who pays if it knackers up his injector pump? I used to put SVO in my 405TD but a HDi is a lot more expensive to fix, could even cost more than the car's worth.

Be careful and weigh up the risks. If it's a £100 car then why not but if it's worth more or you depend on it join a Casino instead.

Steve.
---
Xantia HDi. - Float on!
Bio Diesel - queensclose
i,m a bit new and wet behind the ears. would my toyota estima run fine using 50% diesel and 50% sunflower oil