406 2.1TD cat replacement - Mapsimus
Time has come to replace the catalytic converter on my 1996 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD, as the contents have become loose, causing an annoying rattle.

My mechanic and former MOT Tester, tells me that as there is no emission test for this car, I do not actually have to replace it, but merely use a replacement section of pipe. This is a standard Peugeot part apparently.

I would be grateful if any Back-Roomers can recommend this alteration, or advise me against for any reason. I seem to recall a thread, perhaps 12 months ago now, where someone said it totally transformed the car with a large increase in torque. The downside apparently was an annoying resonance from the exhaust.

I look forward to any reply, for or against.

Mapsimus
Long time Reader - First time Poster
406 2.1TD cat replacement - dieselhead
The catalyst also acts in a similar way to an expansion box so removing it is likely to increase exhaust noise but wont affect the mot smoke opacity test. Peugeot 306 owners are fortunate in that they can use a pre-1995 front pipe that includes an expansion box in place of the catalyst. Could be that a similar part is available for the 406 for models that don't have to meet Euro III exhaust regs.
406 2.1TD cat replacement - P 2501
I have not taken the cat out of mine myself, but i have only heard good reports from people who have. performance (couple of extra horse power,and more torque low down) and economy (couple of extra mpg)seem to benefit from cat removal.

I will certainly not be replacing the cat on mine if it ever goes.
406 2.1TD cat replacement - DL
Agreed on the 306 - something I have done on many myself.

For the 406, I'm not aware of a non cat front pipe - perhaps removing the front pipe and having a section accurately welded in place of the cat is an option.

Find a good local exhuast manufacturer......don't get ripped off for a diesel cat.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Thanks for the replies chaps. I have been assured that there is indeed a direct replacement pipe available, but whether it has an expansion chamber built in is another matter. This I will have to find out, no rush for this though, I'm thinking next Spring is soon enough.
Another option that has been suggested, is to actually keep the cat unit, but remove the inners. How easy this is I do not know, or whether it's feasible on this car.

I'll get back to you one day with some results, favourable I hope.
Thanks

Mapsimus
406 2.1TD cat replacement - P 2501
Yest i think the cat can be "rodded" out by basically just poking it to little bits and removing it that way.
406 2.1TD cat replacement - DL
But don't allow yourself or anybody nearby to breathe the dust created..

Very poisonous and almost certainly carcinogenic.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Cheers guys, I think this is the way to go. I take good note about the dust.

Thanks again.

Mapsimus
406 2.1TD cat replacement - Reggie
Sorry to pick up this old thread, but I am in a similar position to what Mapsimus was.

The weld on my downpipe to cat is now blowing a bit on my 406 2.1td. I knew something was amiss as I could clearly hear the turbo whistling, whereas before I could, but only just.

As Peugeot want £250 + vat, and have denied any knowledge of the above mentioned "straight through pipe", did you Mapsimus or anybody else ever source this pipe as I would be very interested. I have had another quote for £181 + vat from an independant, but even this is very expensive.
My other line of attack is that I may get it welded if possible as the pipe in and the cat itself don't appear corroded, only the weld does, but I'm no welding expert and getting somebody to do it is always difficult.
Any help will be appreciated.

Reggie
My local garage is going to "take a look at it tomorrow", so I shall see if they are prepared or able to weld it.

Reggie
It's sorted. They said it was too thin to weld, and have fitted a new one for £150 with a two year guarantee. A bad enough hit on the wallet, but a bit cheaper than the Peugeot price.

Reggie