Peugeot 607 HDi Particle Filter - DL
I've heard about these....a particle filter fitted to the exhaust system of a Diesel car.

More than just a catalyst, it is a form of particle filter (How it works, I don't know!) I'm sure a google search will tell all.

I know it is the source of many warranty claims, often in excess of £2000! When it fails or malfunctions, there is often no option but to replace it when the dashboard light comes on.

Images of it fitted to the car can be seen here, just out of interest.

groups.msn.com/honestjohn/interestingshots.msnw?Pa...2
Peugeot 607 HDi Particle Filter - RichardW
DL,

AFAIK it catches the soot particles, then when they have built up sufficiently, another fluid (some sort of peroxide IIRC) is injected (there should be a tank for this in the boot somewhere that needs refilling every 50k miles or so) which causes the accumulated soot to burn in the filter and be released as 'clean' CO2 and water. Don't know how often the 'burn' occurs though.

0.3 k is pretty clean!! I think all Euro IV diesels will need a particle filter, so expect to be replacing some of them in thr future!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Some info gleaned from the net....quite in-depth, but fascinating nonetheless!

Many variations of this method have been made, that of Peugeot developed for passenger cars may serve as an example in the following:

Cerium-Oxide is used as additive to the fuel for decreasing the ignition temperature of the soot by about 200oC; this is by far not sufficient in case of passenger cars, the temperature of the exhaust is increased on top of it by about 100oC by means of after-injection of fuel.

Taken from the webpage www.akpf.org/pub/2003_particle_traps.pdf
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
www.psa-peugeot-citroen.com/modules/fap/anglais/in...l

Wow - what a "How things work", eh? Superb.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Peugeot 607 HDi Particle Filter - Mondaywoe
My C5 has the particle filter. It is amazingly effective! The car has done 37,000 miles and you can still poke your finger in the end of the exhaust pipe and take it out clean (the inside of the pipe is still shiny metal!)I have never - ever - seen anything coming out of the exhaust.

The downside might be when I reach 50,000 miles. Apparently the filter needs servicing then and that alone can cost as much as £500. I'm not sure if you're paying for labour to remove and power wash the thing or if it's the price of a top up of EOLYS fluid. Have heard a few horror stories, though!

My C5 has the 2.2 HDI with balancer shafts. This, coupled with the particle filter makes it a very civilised motor - quiet, smooth and clean. More so, in fact, than many petrol engines.

Graeme