Fiat Punto Bonnet Catch - Robin
Tried to open the bonnet of my wife's Fiat Punto (yr 2000) this evening but could not do it. Pulling the handle under the dashboard as usual had no effect. The handle moves OK but the bonnet does not move. Is there another way to do it or is it a trip to the garage?
Fiat Punto Bonnet Catch - Civic8
If the cable has stretched. try pushing down on bonnet while getting someone else to pull and hold the lever. they normally release. if it doesnt. you may have broken wire bit more difficult to correct. If only stretched cable replace.But while doing so dont slam the bonnet..
--
Was mech1
Fiat Punto Bonnet Catch - Kingpin
Perhaps the release under the front of the bonnet has seized slightly. You may sort it out by one person pulling the catch whilst a helper pulls gently on the bonnet edge to persuade it to release. Once open apply generous amount of WD40 or similar to the release mechanism and spring. Should be OK then. I don't think the cable will have snapped or stretched. Similar thing happened to my 2001 model and after oiling no problems. I put it down to dirt. By the way, does yours have a terrible hard ride like mine? It drives me mad, I wish I had a comfortable French hatchback instead.
Crikey, that was fast. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be out in the morning with The Boss to try it out. Intersting that someone says push the bonnet and another says pull it. I'll let you know which works.

I don't know about a hard ride: I don't like driving it really as I find the power steering heavy after driving my Passat. The City setting is OK but feels a bit too light.
If you pull up bonnet while operating lever it wont work. it puts more pressure on release mechanism. as it is already stretched to limit further pressure may snap the cable.causing probs you dont want..Unless already snapped?
--
Was mech1
Fiat Punto Bonnet Catch - Dynamic Dave
With reference to pushing down on the bonnet. Remember the metal is thin and will dent fairly easily. Use your palms of your hands rather than fingertips. That way you'll increase the surface area contact and they'll be less risk of denting.
Thanks DD forgot to mention that..
--
Was mech1
Well, problem solved. A light tug on the bonnet at the same time as the catch was pulled opened the bonnet easily.

However, we now have a new problem. (no, not a busted bonnet release cable). I filled up the washer bottle but not much went in before overflowing. When I tried the windscreen washer, nothing happened. The Looks like the washer system is blocked. We did not have time to investigate so apart from the obvious cleaning of the jets with a wire, is there anything else we should do to clear it out?
Fiat Punto Bonnet Catch - greatspirit
The hard ride is due to the low profile tyres
Fit smaller diameter wheels with high profile tyres and the ride will improve however you may get away with just fitting high profile tyres on the same wheels
Fiat Punto Bonnet Catch - Halmer
There is a small black valve that branches into two fixed under the bonnet.

Pull the pipe off where it feeds into the valve and operate the washer squirter. If water comes out at this point the valve is probably knackered/blocked. They cost £2 from the main dealers.
Fiat Punto Bonnet Catch - Halmer
Further - if you lightly oil the bonnet mechanism at the front of the engine (with the bonnet up) whilst asking someone to pull the cable release so that you can se where to squirt the oil, it will work in future without having to pull/push the lid.
Fiat Punto Bonnet Catch - autumnboy
its a common problem. adjust the rubber like stops on the sides of the bonnet to push the bonnet open when the handle is pulled.