VR6 morning 'problems' - Meko
I've just bought a 96 (N Reg) Golf VR6 and had a slight problem on 2 occasions, both have been on wet mornings.

After firing her up everything seems ok but the revs will drop and then the car cuts out. This will go on for a few minutes or so and then everything will be ok. This morining everything fired up ok but when i got onto the main road and put my foot down there was hardly any power there and it cut out again. Fired her up again and everything was ok.

I've owned the car a week now and this has happened on Monday and now today but everything else is perfect.. any suggestions?

Cheers
VR6 morning 'problems' - Number_Cruncher
Hi Meko,

My first suggestion would be to have a thorough check of the ignition high tension system. It sounds like the high tension electricity is finding another path in the damp, rather than behaving itself and jumping the spark plug gap.

number_cruncher
VR6 morning 'problems' - BB
Sounds like a coil pack problem to me. Trace the HT leads back to a black box (around 4" x 3") bolted onto the RHS of the head. Look for any signs of cracking in the outer casing. If you can't see any, leave the car running and look for sparks around that area. (DONT TOUCH IT.) Do it at night if necessary.

If you do need a new one, it will cost you around £200 for a Beru made coil pack from a VW independent parts dealer. It is a very easy job to do yourself, takes about 15 mins.
VR6 morning 'problems' - DL
I'd 100% agree with you BB - the look-at-night trick is a good one.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
VR6 morning 'problems' - mak
Hi Meko,
Nice car and if it is the ignition try www.probedistributors.co.uk they may be cheaper. These were recommended on a VAG enthusiasts site.
Hope this helps.
Martin.
VR6 morning 'problems' - Meko
Thanks for the advice folks, luckily everything has been ok for the past few days.. may have to hope for the best for a bit as moving house and all money is going to that.
VR6 morning 'problems' - M2
Sorry, but that problem won't go away, next time it is humid or rains, it will come back. I know, I just realized that after two years and a few trips to my local VW dealership that the real problem is the coil pack. Since it is dark outside at the moment, try this. Start the car, lift the hood, and using a spray bottle, spray a light mist of water at your coil pack. After a few seconds if you see a nice light show, and hear snap, crackle and pop, then you have a cracked coil pack. I just saw this myself. Now the good news, you can remove the coil pack and try to epoxy the cracks yourself, or if you have friends in the US of A, have one visit their local Pep Boys auto parts store and pick you up a Borg Warner E635 Coil Pack (Pep Boys part number 7-07390-18893). Not cheap, $165-200, but a heck of a whole lot cheaper than your VW dealership! Sorry, I've looked, Pep Boys does not sell them on-line, nor can I find anyone who does.

Cheers! M2
By the way, as someone said earlier, DO NOT TOUCH IT while the engine is running. Also, the Beru coil packs are crap, that is what is in there in the first place and look what happened to it!

Cheers! M2
VR6 morning 'problems' - blinky
I agree sounds like a coil pack / distributor / rotor arm problem. Had a similar thing on my Corsa.
VR6 morning 'problems' - Ford Dagenham
Hello

What happened with your corsa.

I have a friend at work who's corsa just dies when its being used.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Might want to read this...

chris.quietlife.net/passat/coilpack.html

I removed my coil pack but found it was a sealed unit, so I cannot disassemble it as described above. However, I did use 'J.B. Weld' to seal around the edges, hopefully that will help. Otherwise I will replace it.

Cheers! M2