Nisssan Micra (K10) carburettor problems - Alex Walters
Hi All,

I have a J reg Nissan Micra LS 1.0l and until recently has been a wonderfully reliable and economic car.

It has been suffering from problems similar to those reported by drivers of the later micras (fuel injection - air mass meter calibration errors) but of course this isnt fuel injected.

Basicly for the last month or two, the car has had trouble keeping an idle speed, when stopping at junctions the engine stalls, also when, for example, changing down a gear and accelerating onto a roundabout, it also temporarly tries to stall but then picks back up. The engine was also running a little rich shortly before this problem manifested its self.

While playing with the engine at the weekend we managed to get the car running by disconnecting the auto choke, but this however, is far from a suitable solution since the engine runs very very rich and chokes itself on fuel.

Also, it may be related - The spark plugs quickly aquire dry carbon deposits. The car doesn not seem to burn oil at all, but does put out a little bit of black smoke. 2 weeks ago when i was driving I broke down, had to replace head gasket some oil had got into the water system (white gunge under filler cap) but we are unsure if this is just a result of the gasket going or whether it got in before.

Any ideas what could be wrong? I would like to keep the car if i can, rather than just send it off the the big scrap heap in the sky...

Thanks,

Alex
Nisssan Micra (K10) carburettor problems - Number_Cruncher
Hi Alex,

I would begin by stripping and cleaning the carb. If there is an inline fuel filter, consider replacing it. If there isn't, consider installing one.

Pay particular attention to the idling jets and any electrical idle cut off valves.

number_cruncher