Citroen C3 1.4HDI 16v - Boab
Hello all. Just wondering if anyone else out there has any information or is having the same problem as myself. Basically on Monday while driving along my car began to accelerate on its own. After regaining control the engine continued to rev at 3 thousand revs. It?s now in the hands of the dealer and Citroen UK don?t seem all that bothered telling me it?s perfectly ok and to let them fix it under warranty. Basically im left thinking this is a pretty dangerous fault on this car I mean surely if something fails the car should stop not accelerate to whatever speed it likes. it looks like the middle of October before it returns to the road. Any comments or thoughts welcome.
Citroen C3 1.4HDI 16v - IanT
Sounds like the Accelerator Position Sensor (located on the accelerator pedal bracket), or, if you're really unlucky, the Powertrain Control Module (the main electronics bit in the engine compartment).

If it's the APS, I would be extremely upset that Citroen are forecasting 3 weeks off the road for a five minute fix.

The PCM won't take much more than 5 minutes to swap either. But I just about prepared to accept the PCM might not be so readily available off the shelf.

These comments are based on Ford's 1.4 TDCi 8v Diesel, which is basically the same engine.

Ian
Thank you Ian. Well you?re not the only one that?s disappointed and upset with Citroen. I must be really unlucky I guess as it must be my PCM that?s bust. I really can?t get over this as a safety issue I mean they should at least fail safe i.e. your car slows down not speeds up. How many of these things are a ticking time bomb in the uk alone. Ive already made my mind up that when I get forced by Citroen to take it back im selling it as I don?t want to be in the drivers seat when it goes wrong again.All I can say is how many accidents or worse deaths is it going to take before Citroen sort this out.
Just a quick update. Cars been off the road since the 20th September and no sign of a repair soon. The acceleration problems seem to have been cured or so im told (not driven it yet). However all the other electrical faults mainly problems with the pre heating are proving most troublesome for Citroen. At the time of writing this im told my cars in bits loads of new parts have been fitted and more are on order but the faults continue. Im told this is an isolated incident but I know of another in my area that?s suffering the same problems. Citroens attitude stinks and I can truly say this will be the last French car I will ever own. Seems these day loyalty to a particular brand means nothing. Any future Citroen drivers out their beware.
Citroen C3 1.4HDI 16v - Canon Fodder
Boab - How old is your car, when did you buy it, and did you buy it from new?

Your legal rights in this type of situation are strong, have a look at the two red 'Guidance Notes' PDF files from this link which neatly summarise the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 - a very powerful piece of consumer law which applies if you bought the car after March 31st 2003.

www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/saleandsupply.htm

CF
Citroen C3 1.4HDI 16v - Reggie
I didn't think that the new generation of diesels used the pre-heating plus unless it is extremely cold outside, at somewhere around freezing or below?

My C3 diesel 16v doesn't appear to use its pre heating plugs at all, and starts up instantaneously without the need to wait.

I am sorry to hear you've had a bad experience with your C3. Mine has nearly done 14,000 miles now with nothing going wrong........yet.

Reggie
Thanks for the info Canon. The car has now just passed its first birthday and it was bought new on the first of september 2003. Its covered just over 14000 miles but ive been told by the legal folks i have no chance of rejecting it now its a year old. At the moment it looks like citroen are determined to fix it whatever the cost and return it. As for the topic of compensation well so far ive been offered a free service. Ive told them where to stick that as its just an insult. Its also in the hands of the judge in the Sunday mail newspaper. Ive so far been told that the dealer is refusing to speak to the paper so that says it all. Im at my wits end with it now and ive now been told this friday for its return. "i dont think so" i will keep you posted on further developments as they happen.
Citroen C3 1.4HDI 16v - Sesshoumaru
I have a Citroen C3 Pluriel which I bought new in summer 2003. It has started to develop this problem as well. While driving the accelerator pedal will stay stuck on fully open for a few seconds. It is currently in with my local citroen dealer. Did you ever get your C3 fixed satisfactorily? and did they tell you what caused the problem? Thanks!
Hi. Well where to start. i should begin by saying my car was of the road for just over a month. The car had many problems but the big one was the accelerator. It turns out that the c3 has an electronic pedal. In my car this unit had failed totally causing my engine to rev its head off. Sounds like yours is heading the same way Sesshoumaru. The warrenty list for my car must have been like 10 miles long as loads of other bits were causing the dealership major problems. In the end it was just way to much to handle for me i mean thats not what you buy a brand new car for. The day i picked the thing up i traded it in for a brand new 1.6ts mazda 3. I have to say best move i ever made. Coming up for its 4 month birthday now and now a single creak or fault to be had. Citroen no more and i will never buy another. Hope you guys get on better with your C3s and that you get it fixed soon.
Any other questions feel free to post.
Citroen C3 1.4HDI 16v - Marianne
I have a Citroen C3 Pluriel which I bought new in 2003. I'mhaving terrible problems and ifyou want to email to discuss things.

ReganTuri@aol.com

{Repeated postings deleted. DD}
Citroen C3 1.4HDI 16v - GreatestDancer
same car here - mine's been fine up until now - done 21k miles on it, i also find that i've never seen the pre-heating light come on, no matter how cold the morning is

things that bug me are:

-if you put the airflow onto the windscreen it automatically puts on the aircon (v. annoying)
- i don't understand how to use the maximum speed monitor and there's no mention of it in the manual
- whenever you brake hard it automatically puts on the hazards (i know this is a feature but it's stupid it makes me look like a pleb every time i slam on the anchors)
- biggest problem (it's booked into citroen to have this fixed) is if you're pulling away and you change gear fast, you lose the turbo. only thing to do is to let off the accelerator for about 5 seconds, then try it slowly, this makes the turbo come back... not good when you're trying to overtake someone and you've got no power at all :(

apart from that it's a good car - crazy handling (reminds me of my old 2cv) but very willing engine (apart from losing the turbo as above)

Rich
Citroen C3 1.4HDI 16v - Sesshoumaru
You press the overspeed warning button and then the light comes on. Then travel at the speed you want to set it to. Then hold in the overspeed button until you hear a tone. Then its set :) You never had a problem with the engine shooting up to maximum rpm without touching the accelerator?
Citroen C3 1.4HDI 16v - Clanger
-if you put the airflow onto the windscreen it automatically puts
on the aircon (v. annoying)

Air con dries out the air and helps get rid of any mist that might be on the screen. Quite logical I would have thought. If you have the SX, the air con switch is just there or thereabouts; turn it off.

- whenever you brake hard it automatically puts on the hazards
(i know this is a feature but it's stupid it makes
me look like a pleb every time i slam on the
anchors)

The hazards come on when the emergency brake assist is activated. If you are using the car's emergency braking function so often that the results annoy you, perhaps you could look at developing more anticipation in your driving in case you suddenly find a truck in your boot. As a bonus, you may find that your brakes and tyres last longer.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Citroen C3 1.4HDI 16v - Erika
Hi,

I am not sure if this how to get another note listed, but here goes.

I have experienced several times both the sticking of my accelerator. This was not a pleasant experience last evening when I came very close to meeting my maker. Traveling along at 65 mph on the normal commute home I accelerated past a lorry just about to enter my lane (without the normal courtesy of any indication) hence having accelerated the pedal remained depressed and I was not able to relive the pedal from this position...........having tried to flick the pedal back up with my foot (to no avail) I then tried in vain to change the gears in an attempt to change the speed and acceleration, taking the car from automatic to manual gear selections on the consol...........hmmm but to no avail, I then switched back and forth from manual to automatic via the gear change selector now starting to reaching panic mode and fast approaching the traffic in front of me I starting to brake heavily bit again with little to no impact on way beginning to fell like a completely out of control car.........

Having then gone into panic mode - Hazard lights to the action and pulling onto the hard shoulder still unable to stop the racing car engine, breaking hard to no avail -only option (with fingers crossed) was to turn off the engine........phew 5,4,3,2,1, Stopped ! Ok stomach you can return from my mouth !

Having composed myself, I decide to restart the engine and see what was in store............seemed ok, so I proceeded with the drive home in a very gingerly fashion.

If Citroen know of this fault then best the get their act together else they may have blood on their hands !