renew anti-freeze - Alvin Booth
Just about to renew the anti-freeze on my Vectra TDi.
How do you get to the bottom hose to drain down. Does the complete plastic undershield have to come off?.
And are there any bleed points on this engine or is it a good easy fill up.
Thanks for any info.
Alvin.
Re: renew anti-freeze - Steve
Late Vauxhalls have a kind anti-freeze that must not be mixed with other types,and should last a long time,best check first.
Re: renew anti-freeze - Andy Bairsto
Alvin ,I would be a little cautious here has steve says because just removing the bottom hose will not drain the heater or the all the engine block.I am sure the Profi mechanics will give you a better definitive answer
Re: renew anti-freeze - Mike Jacobs
If I were you Alvin I would get a copy of the workshop manual.Haynes should tell you. A mistake in the refilling process could cost you dear. Sorry if I sound blindingly obvious.
Kind regards,
Mike.
Re: renew anti-freeze - Alvin Booth
Thanks fella's Im certainly glad I asked for the following reasons.
Mike refers to the Haynes manual which I do have. In this the sevice schedule for the vectra shows a coolant change for all models at 2 years regardless of mileage. mine is a 98R.
However Steve says Vauxhall have a kind of anti-freeze which lasts a long time and should not be mixed.
This led me to look at the Vauxhall service/maintenance book which came with the car for dealer stamping etc.
This itemises service schedule A. normal mileage B. over 20000 and C. additional and severe operating conditions.
This shows no coolant change at all (apart from annual checks) except for the Sintra every 5 years and Omega-B with X25DT engine after 4 years (which is my engine in the vectra) and this only applies if they are operating in schedule C severe conditions!.
These schedules go up to 12 years in the book.
This is in effect saying that no coolant changes are required for ever apart from the above exceptions.
I am amazed and delighted also but it does beg a few questions such as why haynes show 2 years and does this mean that other late marques also require no coolant change. Anyway thanks guys it look as if you have saved me from a pig of a job in gaining access. Anyone interested in a gallon of Bluecol cheap, I only bought it yesterday!!!
Alvin
Re: renew anti-freeze - Dave N
Be careful Alvin as many cars are best filled with a vacuum device to ensure proper filling. And yes, the undertray comes off. Look on the bright side though, you can put some anti-corrsion grease on the fixings so you can remove it again in future. On the Ford Focus service disk, for instance, they state quite clearly DO NOT DRAIN COOLANT on the instructions for a number of operations where removing coolant would normally be the norm (if you see what I mean), and when you see the procedure for changing the coolant on these you understand why.

I'm sure someone else here will have more Vauxhall specific info.
Thanks for that Dave. I thought the method shown shown in the Haynes book was a bit shallow and sounded to easy. ( Simply disconnect the bottom hose drain down and refill....refill and run the engine up to operating temperature shown by the electric fan running..check level and top up if necessary)
After hearing what yourself and the others have said I wouldn't attempt the job now even if it were shown to be needed.
regards
Alvin
Dave,
What is a vacuum device?? I've never heard of that one before.
Alvin
Re: renew anti-freeze - Mike Jacobs
Alvin,why not check the specific gravity of your existing antifreeze with an antifreeze hydrometer ? I bought one for £1 a couple of years ago. At least that will tell you if your antifreeze is ok shouldn't it? Unless I am mistaken antifreeze is changed every two years (depending on type) because it loses its ability to prevent freezing. If yours is of the long lasting type the hydrometer will give a correct reading, provided the correct amount was installed.Better still ask the dealer to check it for you just in case my hypothesis is wrong.
Re: renew anti-freeze - Andrew Tarr
No, antifreeze does not lose its 'anti-freeze' - it loses its anti-corrosion ability. If that did not matter the stuff could be left much longer.

Alvin - HJ says Haynes manuals are intended for home users with cars no longer under warranty. Therefore your manual may apply to a model older than yours, which may have had a more conventional antifreeze.
Re: renew anti-freeze - David W
Alvin,

So Vauxhall say the anti-freeze is suitable for the life of the car....

Bit like they say the 16V timing belt is good for 80,000mls, whereas many poor folk discover the thing flies apart after 45,000mls and costs near on a grand to repair.

Unless an automotive chemist can convince me otherwise I'll continue to advise two yearly changes for all coolants.

David
Re: renew anti-freeze - Dave N
It's a little device that goes in the filler cap, then you can vacuum all the air out of the cooling system. All the rubber hoses collapse flat, then you backfill with coolant. You can get compressed air operated ones, but I have one that runs off the high vacuum pump I use for vacuuming a/c systems, and this gets down to much lower levels. The theory is, no air-no air locks. Works pretty well and saves a lot of faffing around.
Re: renew anti-freeze - richard price
My boxster has a life time antifreeze the product is developed by ELF cost about £13 per ltr - does any one know where I might be able to by the same product cheaper?.