Registered Owner vs Keeper of the car - girlydriver
A little poser for you nice people...

Does having a different 'owner' of the vehicle to the registered keeper have an effect upon insurance?

I ask as I was planning to insure my new Almera in my other half's name, but have me as the registered keeper. Tesco have printed an old cover note which they've sent to our garage that has no mention of me on it, so the garage have refused to register the car to me. So, for now, the car will be registered to, and insured by my other half.

However, come renewal, I shall be the "main" driver of the car and thus shall be insuring it, with my other half as the named driver. (as I have more NCB!)

Does having the insurance in another name other than the registered keeper bump up the premium? Does it matter if the registered keeper is named on the policy?

Registered Owner vs Keeper of the car - No Do$h
I'm a little confused; why would you want to insure the car in your other half's name at purchase if you have the higher NCB? There's also the issue that as the main driver, you should be the insured.

As regards keeper, it makes little difference. After all, it is registered keeper, not owner. It does give some indication of likely user but nothing more than that.
It's only a temporary thing as my insurance runs out in the next month, yet hers continues until July next year - no point in cancelling her insurance to renew mine... yet - the saving by switching isn't enough. (we're going down from two cars to one)

Once her insurance runs out, then I'll insure the vehicle in my name with the higher NCB to apply.

Just checking that I can definitely insure the vehicle and pondering on whether her owning it would increase the premium in any way...
It shouldn't pose a problem. If you share the same address and you are genuinely the main driver then the fact that it is registered in your other half's name really shouldn't present a problem. There may be questions asked if there is a claim whilst your other half is driving as the insurers may question whether you were genuinely the main driver, however if you explain all this outset I don't see an issue.
Registered Owner vs Keeper of the car - Happy Blue!
There is really no such thing a registered owner.

The registered keeper is the person responbile for the car. So that person will get the speeding and parking tickets etc and will receive the notifications to tax and MoT it.

Like with any other product, the owner is the person who can prove they paid for it; i.e. thay have a receipt. Sometime cars are sold at auction without a V5 because they are taken from debtors. So, you take the receipt from the auction house and show it to the DVLA who will give you a new V5 in your name.

From an insurance perspective, the main insured should be the keeper, but sometimes cars get swapped around families without changing the registered keeper, but the main insured gets changed. My insurance co is happy to accept this, but on first reg it won't work as the car will be registered in the name on the insurance certificate which you give to the dealer.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Thank you.. that solves that.

I guess my main concern was because we're two women.. and can't legally be 'spouses' on insurance documents. I see that the term 'partner' has crept into use now, which helps a bit!
Given the statistical anomaly (cough) that suggests women have a better claims record, you should be getting paid to insure, not the other way round!

This unheeded moment of misogyny was bought to you by No Dosh the individual (not in moderator mode) in a mad moment of tongue-in-cheek brevity.
Registered Owner vs Keeper of the car - Stuartli
If you are the registered owner of a vehicle but are not the main driver for insurance purposes, most insurance companies request that this fact be made clear when applying for insurance cover.

It doesn't preclude anyone from being the main driver even if they are not the owner but their age, experience etc are all taken into account in assessing the premium.
Registered Owner vs Keeper of the car - CG
You must have an insurable interest in the item you are seeking to cover. That is a fundamental principle of insurance. If you are seeking to insure something owned by someone else, and are not likely to suffer a loss in the event of its loss or destruction, then the chances are you are in breach of this requirement, and could come unstuck in the event of a claim.
Registered Owner vs Keeper of the car - cheddar
I case CG is refering to the old chestnut of parent insuring car owned by kid though never driving it.

Back to first post, other factor is that if registerd owner is changed a a later date (even if at same address) then this will show as "one previous owner" on reg doc effecting the vehicles value.

Registered Owner vs Keeper of the car - Cliff Pope
There must be a legal way of registering "ownership" as opposed to being the registered keeper or main driver, otherwise chaufeurs would keep driving off with their employers' Rollers.
Registered Owner vs Keeper of the car - Happy Blue!
Cliff,

not that I have personal experience of this, but I would have thought that the chauffeurs employer would be the registered keeper?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Registered Owner vs Keeper of the car - Stuartli
>>There must be a legal way of registering "ownership" as opposed>>

There is - the name provided to the DVLA as the registered owner and correctly shown on the V5 and V11 forms.
Registered Owner vs Keeper of the car - Bromptonaut
>>There must be a legal way of registering "ownership" as opposed>>
There is - the name provided to the DVLA as the
registered owner and correctly shown on the V5 and V11 forms.

No, the V5 shows the keeper, notes A on the front and 1 on the reverse give an explicit caution that the keeper is not necessarily the legal owner.

Who exactly is the keeper can be grey area with pool and lease cars. DVLA database tries to serve two masters; enforcement of traffic law and liability for MVL duty and sometimes falls between the stools.