BMW 525d Touring (Aug 2004) Engine Fire - Sick_as_a_parrot
I'm writing to ask if anyone has heard anything about the new 5 Series Touring (E61) going on fire?

I bought a brand new BMW 525d (E61) on the 20th of August and 20days later it went up in flames. There was no warning that the car was having problems but I suspect an electrical fault. The only thing that I did notice was that the iDrive was going a bit wonky.

I was doing about 50mph in busy traffic on the motorway in Italy when I noticed that the car was losing power and smoke was pouring out of the back of it. Fortunately, I got the car on to the hard shoulder just as the power steering and accelerator failed. There was a lot of brown smoke coming from under the bonnet. As I released the bonnet latch, black smoked bellowed from either side. The on board computer sounded an alarm and signalled to leave the car. As I opened the door, flames started shooting out on the left hand side of the bonnet. I obviously ran a safe distance from the car as I thought it would explode (I?ve since been told that this only happens in the movies!). It took approximately 35-40minutes for the fire brigade to arrive and put out the fire which by that time had melted the entire front of my car and engulfed the passenger shell. There was basically nothing left of the car or any of my possessions inside it.

As I said I only had this car for 20 days and had done 2500 miles as I travelled across Europe with my family. A total of 7 tanks of diesel went into it and the 7th full tank was emptied out by the fire brigade after the fire was extinguished.

I need to know of any little fires that may have happened to the new 5 series. Or any electrical faults that could have lead to a fire. BMW reckon that my insurance company needs to prove that there was a mechanical or electrical fault before BMW will get involved but the car is a burnt out shell.

BMW 525d Touring (Aug 2004) Engine Fire - Canon Fodder

Sicko,

BMW reckon that my insurance company needs to prove that there was a mechanical or electrical fault before BMW will get involved but the car is a burnt out shell.

A fault as opposed to what? Are they saying your 3 week old car caught fire for some other reason than a fault? Like what? I'm presuming you hadn't fired up a barbecue in the cavernous boot?

Are they trying to get out of replacing the car with a new one or giving you your money back? If so I think they're trying it on. Under the sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 if the car is under 6 months old then it's up to the retailer to prove that the car DID NOT have a fault. You, or your insurers, don't have to prove anything.

I'd contact the retailer [not BMW cust. Serv.] and talk about a replacement.

CF

BMW 525d Touring (Aug 2004) Engine Fire - runboy
Whilst this may be a simple analogy, If you had bought a brand new TV set which went up in smoke after 3 weeks of use, I suspect Currys/Comet etc would not query a replacement.

So why the heck is BMW quibling over the many thousands of pounds you've paid it for a useable product? Some people!
BMW 525d Touring (Aug 2004) Engine Fire - No Do$h
.>> Whilst this may be a simple analogy, If you had bought
a brand new TV set which went up in smoke after
3 weeks of use, I suspect Currys/Comet etc would not query
a replacement.

Because many car and lorry fires these days aren't caused by an inherent onboard fault, but caused instead by ingestion of burning material.

If you wondered why people can get so peeved at those who hurl their ciggy butts out the window, imagine what would happen if you were unfortunate to have that butt drawin in through your air intake. You now have a glowing ember sat next to a paper or oil/foam element in winds in excess of 100mph. Next thing you know you have burning air filter and plastic housing. From there the burnt out car is a matter of minutes away.

It's now believed that the Mont Blanc tunnel fire was started in this manner, with burning material entering the filter housing on the truck at the seat of the blaze.

As for the I-Drive playing up [BMW salesman mode]They all do that..... Sir.[/BMW salesman mode]

No Dosh - Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk

Fair point ND, although with the reversed burden of proof specified in the legislation I quoted above, it's for BMW to prove the car wasn't at fault, not for Sick_Boy to prove it was.

CF
The insurance company will inspect the vehicle and establish cause. That's what they have engineers for.

If the fault lies with manufacture they will then pursue BMW for the loss, always assuming the Bavarians don't leap in with a generous offer in the name of customer service.
BMW 525d Touring (Aug 2004) Engine Fire - runboy
Not wanting to detract from your misery, but I read that some people are calling for an inquiry into fires starting under the drivers seats of Volvo's.

One insurer, Norwich Union, is questioning a fire that started and reports suggest it could be the electric seat motor and a fault therein.
BMW 525d Touring (Aug 2004) Engine Fire - patently
Wow. I always knew Volvo had the best front seat heating, but that's a bit more than I bargained for.
Hi CF,

Thanks very much for your input. It has proved valuable. The insurance guy dealing with my case had never heard of this Act. He is now in agreement that we have an avenue to explore.

I obviously want to protect my 'no claims' and need to recover my possessions lost in the fire. As you can imagine my car was heavily laden with personal possessions as I was travelling across Europe with my family.

Anyway, thank you again and I will post the outcome on this thread.

If you could advise on how to post pictures, I will put pictures of my car on this thread just to show the seriousness of my case.

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

Here's a link to a good DTI summary of the Act - the 'traders guidance' is the best one to read.

www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/saleandsupply.htm

This only really applies to the car, where you are definitly entitled to a new one or your money back as discussed above.

Your situation is obviously more complex because of the additional loss of possesions, and subsequent involvement of the insurance company - best of luck with that, I'm not too sure how the two things will/can dovetail in together.

CF

BMW 525d Touring (Aug 2004) Engine Fire - Altea Ego
How do you tell if your I-Drive is playing up?
How do you tell if your I-Drive is playing up?

Simple. You've got the key in the ignition? Then your i-Drive is playing up.
BMW 525d Touring (Aug 2004) Engine Fire - patently
I wish I'd thought of that one!
I was starting to get a message from the iDrive telling me that I have to put the gear stick to 'P'arked and to press the brake pedal to start the car. I was doing this and the car even started.

So, I suspected a fault! As it doesn't make sense to display this message if you are doing everything properly and the car is starting.
BMW 525d Touring (Aug 2004) Engine Fire - Adam {P}
Really don't know anything about the BM's but it may just be playing it safe and telling you all the time. Of course I could be completely wrong.
Adam