Diesel Dashboard Warning Light ? - philomeena
About to buy a diesel for the first time.

Sat in one today, key in ignition and turned to put the electrics on (so I could check the lights n stuff) but didn't start the car.

On the dashboard.. along with the usual red battery lamp that stays on if you don't start the car.. a yellow engine icon with a fan in the middle also was on & didn't go out.

Like I said.. complete Diesel newbie

What does that mean? Should it have been on?
Diesel Dashboard Warning Light ? - Happy Blue!
You say you did not start the car?

In that case it just the engine managment light that should go out when the car starts. The same thing happens in modern petrol cars as well.

What should go on (briefly) and then go out before starting the car is the orange glow plug light; it looks light a coil of wire.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Ahhh.. thats OK then. I don't think my battered old punto has engine management LOL!

On the subject of the glow plug light..
I was once told that when starting a diesel I should turn the key so the dash lights up.. but not start the engine till the glow plug light has gone out.
Is this (still) true? or do you just stick the key in and start it like a petrol?
Diesel Dashboard Warning Light ? - Quinny100
Modern direct injection diesel engines do not use the glow plugs for starting except at very low temperatures. So you can just stick the key in and start it like a petrol.
Diesel Dashboard Warning Light ? - Sooty Tailpipes
On a modern common rail diesel, you just start it like a petrol, and the glowplugs are not normally used. In others, the heat up time can be so quick that you can start it like a petrol, you can also fit these newer plugs to some older diesels.

The punto has the same light, but with an injection nozzle symbol.
YOU.. deserve a pint!

I've had my Punto 6 years and never known (but often wondered) what the nozzle light meant! :)
Diesel Dashboard Warning Light ? - PhilW
Don't wish to sound rude - but did you look in the manual??
Diesel Dashboard Warning Light ? - cheddar
Had a colleague who had a Cavalier 1.7 TD for two years, always complained about starting and rough running until warm, eventually someone mentioned the need to allow the glow plug light to go out, started 1st time every time, sweet as a nut! Just shows the value of reading the hand book.