Another thread on polish - THe Growler
Not to hi-jack daisy1's thread, here's a polish related phenomenon.

I've used Turtle Wax since the dawn of recorded time, it always seemed good enough to me and the right price. However, here's something odd on which maybe the buffs (no pun) out there can throw some light.

My car is metallic black, pretentiously named "Panther Black" by some creative thin-tank at Ford. This week I got round to polishing it for the first time in about 10 months. The sides, roof, boot lid etc came up perfectly and gleam per the expected.

The hood (bonnet) however doesn't clear. The cloth seems to be pushing the polish around rather than bringing it to a shine, and the result is a sort of dull smeared effect. Energetic efforts reduce this somewhat, but the bonnet still doesn't achieve the shine the rest of the car does. Car was cold when washed and polished. I washed the hood again just in case there was something on there that shouldn't have been, result was the same when the wax was reapplied.

Weird or what?
Another thread on polish - BobbyG
Growler, I often find that as well with the bonnet of my car. Don't know if it is due to heat from the engine, more exposure to road particles or whatever.

My way of getting round it has been that when washing car, I also use one of these insect remover (Autoglym again!) which seems to remove any particles on surface.

Lastly, when applying polish to it, I do sections at a time as I found that if I did whole bonnet at one time, it was very hard to get a shiny finish, as you describe, the polish seemed to get moved about without actually rubbing in.
Another thread on polish - holly1
Dont' worry Growler, your problem seems to be the same as mine. Sides and back are great, but roof and bonnet are a nightmare to bring to a shine. I too thought it might be something to do with heat.

I even purchased a car polisher and its no better. I hope to be getting a black car soon and really want to keep it the shiny black it is now.
Well, a voice in the wilderness also (thank you {Sir} Cliff Richard).

My partner's car (identical but 2 years older) is silver and has none of this. Is this because it is silver i.e. different colour paint or because you can't see the same effect?

I love black cars, always have. There is no doubt they show every mark, unlike lighter colours, and one has to be philosophical about this, but this is a particular mystery. I will take it to the local bodyshop tomorrow to see if they have some ideas. Funny thing is, at night you can't see the smears, only in the day.

I did think it had to do with being parked in the tropical sun for hours at a time, but that doesn't make sense since other horizontal surfaces are fine when polished.

If I find anything out which might be useful I will report.

Another thread on polish - Steve S
Growler, I had similar problems with a dark green landy. Try a mild cutting polish like Super Resin, and then coat with extra gloss protection (or similar). You may need a slightly harder cut if it's been like it for a while.

I think it's just that the heat bakes the muck on the top surfaces and they need to be brought down to the paint and re-protected.
Another thread on polish - Mondaywoe
I'm interested to see that in the two threads on polish the word 'Meguiars' has not been used at all. A few months ago there was a big to-do about it on the forums and everyone seemed to be going crazy for it. I've never used it (Turtle wash and wax every wash with occasional binges of Autoglym resin followed immediately by Autolglym gloss)However....the Autoglym tins are getting low and I was toying with the idea.

Anybody using Meguiars?

Graeme
Another thread on polish - Vansboy
Rorry I was at an auction last night, so was unable to proclaim www.meguiars.co.uk

I'm a convert from Mer.

& am surprised you didn't know of it before, Growler - giving it's USA based history!!

VB
Another thread on polish - Mondaywoe
I've no real quarrel with the finish of Autoglym resin + gloss, but it's a pain to apply. The resin leaves lots of white powder and you can't really put on the gloss without having used teh resin first to remove any stubborn marks.

Am I right in thinking that Meguiars is easier to apply, leaves no dust and has a better shine? Does it last? Is it carnuba wax based?

Graeme
C5 - As your car is still newish & black, guess you should use the Gold Class wax.

It is really only suitable for good, clean surfaces, to achieve the best results.Dead easy to apply, they provide a small sponge applicator & I've found best results, after leaving on overnight. other products used previously, I'd always prefered to do a section of a panel, at a time.

No dust problems, like you say.

I've actually just invested in some of their new ultimate polish wipes, rather than their previously prefered terry towling cloths, foam wash & micro fibre wash mitt!Got the whole lot, now!!

Got it all now - Mrs Vansboys Mx5 will be treated to a full valet, early next week.

VB
Yes I know MER and of course Meguiars and Mothers also. They are imports however and about 3X the price of T/Wax. That's a lot of San Miguel to an old pensioner like me...... I'm a cheap Charlie, I even buy my polishing cloths off the vendors who stroll thru the traffic jams selling stuff.

Well I did take the car to the bodyshop and they did exactly what Steve S suggested, just buffed it all back to basics and rewaxed it. It does look better, but I couldn't any real reason as to why it should be the bonnet and not the roof etc. Slight language difficulty, they wanted also to sell me a "washover" to make the car shine better (their words). Wassat?
Another thread on polish - J Bonington Jagworth
"Weird or what?"

A combination of sun and engine heat, I should think. Probably bakes it really hard and the polish just skates off. You'll either have to use something with a bit more bite (but careful if it's clear lacquer on top) or some tar-remover type solvent before trying again (or use a clear polish). You could always ask your Ford dealer, I suppose...
Another thread on polish - bugged {P}
Have I got this right autoglym super resin polish is a cutting agent????? Does this mean its like t-cut and removes paint???

I have just bought a bottle im not sure the mini needs this yet??

I plan to keep the car a while and want to keep the paintwork as nice as possible, whats the best to use?? Does anyone use zymol?? U can order it on the internet and they do a very basic wax in halfords?? U can get a special wax just for dark grey minis, the kit is £49 i believe and comes with wax and HD cleanse. Help, i thought id bought the right thing and now you've all confused me!!! Is Zymol a gimick or is it really good, everything in it in natural whihc i like the idea of and it smells fab but what is the best to use.

Thanks
Another thread on polish - Smartdealer
On a new car where the paint should be unblemished all I would use is the Autoglymn extra high gloss protection. The super resin polish does have a little bit of "cut" (not like T-cut though) and it will be useful for the odd light scratch or mark but the extra gloss sealant is all you should need for now. Read the instructions with this one though as you have to leave for about an hour and the car needs to be bone dry. Pick a good day for it!

If your mini does need a bit more work than this then super resin first and then go over with high gloss. Those 2 bottles should last a long time and the result should be showroom standard on a newish car.
ooohhh thankyou, thats better, When i got the beetle I got this big autoglym kit that was great, had everything in i needed and more. Got the mini and went to replace some things and got this huge bottle of super resin polish and was worried when i opened this thread! Apparently when i finish work today im told we NEED to visit halfords for something or another so i shall get the high gloss protection as well.

One onther question, autoglym polishing clothes, are they 100% cotton? they seem very rough compared to the soft t-shirts i used to use on the beetle? what is the best to polish with?

Got a neat pack of polishing clothes in halfords the other day though, there are 3 blue cloths of varying thickness etc in a pack, i thought i would have one for windows and glass, one for the alloys to polish them and one for the interior dash etc.
they are all for different jobs by what it says on the pack and look pretty good!
Another thread on polish - Smartdealer
Not sure about what the autoglym cloths are made of. think it's cotton. They are washable though so will last a while. They do appear a little rough but they seem to work well for me. Halfords also do some similar cloths which seem OK as well. Gave up using that stockinette stuff ages ago - bits everywhere!
me too, drove me mad, still finding bits of fluff and cotton for days after!

Thanks for the help anyway, hopefully the big black cloud outside will dump itself on the airport and I can have a nice dry afternoon washing and polishing my newest toy!

Theres something very therapeutic about polishing a car after a hard day at work.
Another thread on polish - frostbite
"Theres something very therapeutic about polishing a car after a hard day at work."

Any time you feel in need of therapy, I will be delighted to donate my car.
Bring it over!! im one of those nutters who likes doing it, i get it from my dad! he likes it, always out there on a saturday morning polishing away! i always used to get roped it to help being the oldest!
Another thread on polish - Negger
There are obviously some sad, sad people around. Tinkering with the old banger one day, when neighbouring Farmer called by. He had aged 360 Volvo that he'd had from new (18 years previously) and had been parked up in corner of barn for two years due to arrival of new Discovery (big mistake - but different story) I collected Volvo, checked it over, Mot'd no problem, put 12K on it, Mot'd again no problem, put another 13K on, due another MOT, looking pretty tatty by now, so washed it for the first time (apart from windows/lights when manure gets too thick to see through), Result ?, car failed test miserably and had to drive it straight to the scrappy! Moral - Wash a car and it will fail its MOT!!!!!!
Never had a car thats needed an MOT, mini wont for another three years either.

Im not sad either, im extremly happy, I have a fantastic new car that i am thrilled to bits with.

Another thread on polish - frostbite
I, on the other hand, have never had one that didn't, (except before the MOT was introduced.

Reading Negger's post has made me withdraw my generous offer, since I'm not sure that re-arranging all that rust would be beneficial.
Couldn't agree more frostbite. I loathe cleaning and polishing cars. Waste of good drinking time. About time manufacturers made cars with paint that never needed it...... :+(
Another thread on polish - Civic8
Er. that was the idea of metalic paint. No need to spend time polishing when you can have a drink after washing. 5 minute job
--
Was mech1
Metallic or not, you DO have to polish it. After 10 months mine was dull. It gets washed but that's with deep well water (no mains in the sub-division where I live) which, while filtered, certainly has some deposits still in it. Housemaid does that thankfully, so exercising the elbow joints can be devoted to more alcoholic pursuits!

But we also live in the world's fourth most polluted metropolis, so undoubtedly some of the gunge settles out of the air and interacts with the paint and the only way to remove this seems to be polishing.

Another thread on polish - Stuartli
>>Have I got this right autoglym super resin polish is a cutting agent????? >>

I was a bit surprised as I use this product so did a bit of searching. This is one description of Autoglym Super Resin Polish:

"Periodic polishing gently removes harmful surface contaminants and imparts a tough, glossy, protective barrier to preserve expensive paintwork from the harsh environment. Internationally acclaimed, Autoglym Super Resin Polish is the ultimate combination cleaner, polish and sealant.

"Autoglym Super Resin Polish is extremely easy to use and ideal for all types and colors of new or moderately oxidized vehicle paintwork, including metallic, clearcoat and modern water based finishes. Autoglym Super Resin Polish contains low molecular weight resins which provide exceptional cosmetic effect and excellent protection from common environmental hazards."

Got it in June as part of a giant pack of AutoGlym products for my 103rd birthday - did my entire car and it's still gleaming.
If ANY product is described as a POLISH, rather than WAX, you should expect it to be, even mildly, abrasive.

& I'm one of those sad ones, that also enjoys the therapy, of deatailing (USA term) a vehicle!!

VB
Another thread on polish - Stuartli
>>If ANY product is described as a POLISH>>

Then what about shoe polish?
Another thread on polish - Civic8
>>"Periodic polishing gently removes harmful surface contaminants and imparts a tough, glossy, protective barrier to preserve expensive paintwork from the harsh environment. Internationally acclaimed, Autoglym Super Resin Polish is the ultimate combination cleaner, polish and sealant.

I think you will find it uses chemicals. which remove dirt onto
cloth. unlike wax. which rubs in with any dirt on the body.in some cases causes mild scratching of surface. and is nothing to do with. or. work in the same way as T CUT. As Autoglym dries it seals the pores in the paint. MER works the same way. and certain others. I have used Autoglym for years. and sometimes find if you put too much on difficult to rub off. My second choice would be MER

--
Was mech1
Another thread on polish - SlidingPillar
As said earlier, any automotive product described as a polish will be abrasive.

From tests carried out on the radiator of my vintage car which being german silver, not chrome, a mild abrasive is needed.

Autoglym resin polish is abrasive, but not much. Pretty well what you would expect. Not much cop on the radiator as far too much effort needed.

T Cut has proven to be just the biz for this. Abrasive enough, yet nowhere near as aggressive as metal polishes. I'd never use it on paint though!

And going beyond, plastic sidesceens, nothing expensive needed, brasso works superbly.

Scratches in glass and hard to shift films (can happen to new cars). Jewelers rouge. You need to protect the paint or insides from this as it will scratch paint. Mix with water, and use small hand held polisher. By hand does work but needs mucho elbow grease. A well known windscreen company gave me a pot so I guess they buy it in bulk for not much.