1997 astra dash lights - darren sass
I have just bought a 97 P Astra, and the heater panel is not lighting when the lights are turned on.

How do you gain access to the bulb? I have tried undoing the 2 screws at the bottom edges of the panel, and removed the stereo but still cannot free the panel to see the bulb.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Darren
1997 astra dash lights - elekie&a/c doctor
Access to these bulbs is a right pig!!!The best plan is to remove the stereo & its cage & reach down to rear of heater panel to bulb holders .Very awkward.The correct way is to remove the whole front panel & heater control assy & hang it forward for access.Note,these bulbs illuminate with ignition on ,not lights on.
1997 astra dash lights - Victorbox
"Note, these bulbs illuminate with ignition on ,not lights on." .... which is why like the Mk3 Cavalier they burn out with amazing regularity. On the Cavalier you start by removing the steering wheel cowl plus other delicate bits of plastic under the speedo before you can get at the heater bulb in the centre of the dash! I once saw a neat modification where the heater controls bulb was wired from the clock illumination bulb so it only came on with the sidelights thereby probably tripling its life.
1997 astra dash lights - darren sass
Thanks for your reply.

Is it just the one bulb holder I need to locate? Once I have removed the stereo and its cage is it just a matter of pulling the bulb holder from the heater dials assembly?

I had the stereo out yesterday as I was removing the Vauxhall factory fit radio so as to fit a CD player, and I must admit it didn't look that easy!

Thanks
1997 astra dash lights - David Horn
I gave up and paid my local dealer £30 to change all 3 bulbs. Trust me, it's not worth the hassle of trying to do it yourself.