Help, please, re accident in France - 007
Please can any Backroomer give me the benefit of their experience in the following circumstances.

A friend and his wife were driving in France and had reached a ?T? junction at which they had to turn right. The road to the left appeared to be clear so they commenced their turn. As they did so there was a tremendous bang....a motorcyclist had collided with their near-side wing!

The motorcyclist was taken to hospital. My friends were taken to the nearest Police Station. They were detained for several hours but after making a statement and paying 70euro, were allowed to go.

Eighteen months later they have received a summons to appear in Court in two weeks time to answer charges in relation to the accident.

The paperwork is, of course, in French so the first thing they have to do is to get it translated and then, I suppose, find an appropriate Lawyer...perhaps their Insurance Company or Motoring Organisation can help.

Any other suggestions, please?

I thought the rule in France was that one gives way to traffic joining from the right.

Help, please, re accident in France - Mapmaker
>I thought the rule in France was that one gives way to traffic joining from the right.

Scarcely so these days (mercifully!). Most French roads have give way, or stop signs that indicate that the priorité a droite does not apply. In the 'good old' days, you used to get farm tractors turning out into the main road with no indication of their intention.
Help, please, re accident in France - mfarrow
Do you mean the 'nearside' as in on the left of the car facing forward, or the right?

Sorry, just wanted to clarify which 'nearside' (British or Frent roads).
Help, please, re accident in France - 007
Do you mean the 'nearside' as in on the left of
the car facing forward, or the right?
Sorry, just wanted to clarify which 'nearside' (British or French roads).

Good question! Habit! I should have said 'off-side'.
Help, please, re accident in France - BobbyG
Think this is one to pass to the insurance company, its what most people pay the extra "legal protection" premium for.
Help, please, re accident in France - martint123
ISTR that in France any accident between a cycle/motorcycle and a car was deemed to the car drivers fault unless proved otherwise.
AA or RAC legal assistance would be a good starting point if you had cover with them.

Martin
Help, please, re accident in France - malteser
Ignore the summons and holiday in Spain instead!
--
Roger. (in the UK for 2 more weeks and then back to the sun! )
Help, please, re accident in France - madux
The road with priority in France is signposted by a yellow diamond, crossed out if you enter, for example, a village where you no longer have priority. Much as I sympathise with your friend,(he obviously would not have pulled out had he seen the motorcyclist) he can't say "I didn't see him" and then say "I thought I had priority"!