Lotus Elan Sprint - Motormark
I have just purchased a Lotus Elan Sprint vintage 1972.

I have a couple of problems/queries if anybody out there can point me in right direction or offer possivble solutions I would be grateful.

1. 4 speed gearbox is very difficulkt to get out of reverse, in fact I have to manhandle it.
2. Drivers electric window intermitant on down movement
3. Cant locate fan or heater controls (no manual and all switches have no markings), heater appears to be ON

Regards
Mark

mark.hetherington@jacobs.com
Lotus Elan Sprint - tr7v8
1. Sounds like dragging clutch, which on these is a right PITA cos if I remember the engine comes out to do it and access to do that isn't easy. What about 1st is that sometime graunching?
Don't keep forcing it because you'll bend the selector forks or break the gearlever.

2. Possibly a dodgy earth or switch although if an earth I'd expect more of an issue raising than lowering as it takes more power. Elan electrics are interesting to say the least.....

3. Can't remember it was around 30 years ago when I worked on these.

Jim
Jim, thanks for response,
1. No First is not dragging, is it possible to adjust clutch?
2. Ill check switch first

All the best
Mark
Lotus Elan Sprint - madf
I has an S3 coupe. As I recall (switches memory on) the clutch was hydraulic so no adjustment possible. (I sold a spare slave cylinder on ebay two years ago..)

Memory whirrs into off mode again.

madf

Stuck on the M25 tonight I gave this a bit more thought (sad muppet or what). From memory the 2000E box has a detent made from nylon at the base of the gearlever socket, its possible that this has started to break up. Remove gearlever gaiter and undo large nylon nut and investigate, probably worth using some fresh grease, do not x thread nut when replacing. The only other thing would be a bent fork/broken detent spring but its rare on reverse more likely on 1st or 2nd. Unless someones auto tested it!

Jim
Jim, thanks again I will have a look this weekend when I have the time.

Another query if you wouldnt mind
Where is the best place to jack and support the car, concerned over strenght of plastic body

Regards
Mark
Do not jack on the body, jack on the chassis preferably with a piece of wood to spread the load.
It would be worth becoming a member of Club Lotus as they sell reprints of the original manual & also could give you much better info from current knowledge than I can from 30 years ago...

Jim
Lotus Elan Sprint - gsb
Sorry, I can't help with your problems but search on Ebay under lotus elan and I expect you might find manuals and other elan bits and pieces.

(I used to have a 1970 S4. Wish I still had)
Lotus Elan Sprint - Aretas
If you do get into the unfortunate position of having to remove the engine/gearbox, leave the exhaust manifold bolted to the head. You cannot remove the exhaust manifold while the engine is in place.
Lotus Elan Sprint - pug3
I had a 1966 S3 for nine years until it was stolen and never recovered.

The clutch can be adjusted. The slave cylinder has a rod which fits into the clutch fork. The rod is threaded with a large nut and lock nut which adjusts the effective length of the rod.

The windows stick in the guides and need regular maintenance. The window, frame and motor can be removed as one unit which gives access to the operating cables pulleys etc which need greasing. I found the cables would rust then snap and I used bicycle inner gear cables as replacements.

The heater valve control is screwed into the cylinder head next to the thermostat housing and is operated by a wire (similar to the old choke cables) and is the first pull button on the left on the dash. The heater fan switch is just to the right.

To jack the car the jack the jack must be placed under the front or rear lower wishbones (workshop manual).

I soon found out that Lotus stands for Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious........but it was worth it!