Low Profile v Comfort - Steve S
How much of the lumpy ride for low profile tyres is down to the tyre diameter or brand?

I chose to have 17" wheels on my A4 on the basis that I didn't like any of the 16" options. However, on checking the tyres are Conti-sports 235/45. Would changing to a 235/50 in a softer compound make much difference?

The Contis are great on smooth roads. Presumably Germany doesn't have potholes or cheapo tarmac on badly maintained B roads.
Low Profile v Comfort - AngryJonny
Well, it would increase the diameter of your wheel by about an inch, and therefore the circumference by about 3 inches. This will make your speedo read a little differently - you'll travel a futher 3 inches for every wheel turn that the speedo reads. (Have I got my sums right here?)

As for the compound... a softer compound will grip better but wear faster. Won't make any difference to the bumpiness of the ride though, I wouldn't have thought.

I think the major reason for the harshness of the ride is do with the "Audi" badge on the grille.
Low Profile v Comfort - Stuartli
>>I think the major reason for the harshness of the ride is do with the "Audi" badge on the grille.>>

Now, now...:-)

More to do with the lack of tyre sidewalls to absorb some of the bumps on Great British roads...:-(
Low Profile v Comfort - Happy Blue!
Given the average speed of most of my driving (urban driving - not just a slow driver!) I much prefer high profile tyres purely due to comfort. They are the best way to improve the ride. Ditch the 17" and get 15" wheels and higher profile tyres.

Many years ago (about 8) we bought an Honda Accord 4WS which had Dunlop SP Sports. The ride was much worse that the FWD Accord we also ran. I wrote to LJK Setright who wrote about many things, but also about his beloved Honda Prelude 4WS. He advised some Avons. I ordered some at a tyre place located at the far end of a cobbled road. I drive down to it with the car crashing to its bump stops and making a total racket. I drove out to almost total calm. The ride and noise were improved by a huge amount. Wet grip was also reasonable but wear was poor. Pity they don't make them any more.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Low Profile v Comfort - Sooty Tailpipes
Also, when you buy tyres, get the lowest speed rating you need to fulfill the requirements of the handbook (and thus your insurance)
ie If it says V rates, get V, not W or Z.

I read this on a FAQ page of a tyre manufacturer. Like we go over 150mph anyway!
Low Profile v Comfort - Dalglish
it would increase the diameter of your wheel by about an inch

>>

doesn't diametre of
17" wheels + low profile tyres = 16" wheels + high profile tyres?
Low Profile v Comfort - Altea Ego
Almost

17" wheel +low profile = 16" wheel + medium profile = 15" wheel and high profile.

What ever way you look at it, low profile = poorer ride than the same car with higher profile tyres.

Low Profile v Comfort - AngryJonny
doesn't diametre of 17" wheels + low profile tyres = 16"
wheels + high profile tyres?

My understanding was that Steve was thinking of putting higher profile tyres on his existing 17" rims, meaning a greater wheel diameter. If you reduce the size of your rims you can have a higher profile tyre and keep the same wheel diameter.

I have 15" rims with 225/60 tyres on them. The ride is lovely.