Golf Mk2 1600 Driver - Core plug leak. - pmh
I have finally (I hope)traced the intermittent water leak (sometimes nothing a week, sometimes a litre) from the coolant. It appears that the smallest of leaks is coming from the Core plug on the Off side of the inlet manifold ( I presume that it has a water heated manifold. The pipe work is at best described as confused.)

Has any body got experience of changing this core plug in situ? Access is reasonable, I cannot tell if its leaking from the edges or is perforated with age. Advice would be appreciated. Alternatively what is the effect of removing water flow from the inlet manifold?

pmh (was peter)
I should have added that I think water feed / return is via hoses, although it maybe that return path is via the cylinder head. Anybody know for sure?

pmh (was peter)
I have now determined that the water feed is actually from the head via an O ring sealed joint. SO my Alt option is not available. It looks as tho there are acually 3 core plugs in the manifold! The leaky one appears to have perforated in the centre, so the others mat not be far behind!

Someone must have tried changing a core plug in situ. The VW spares tell me that they sell a few of these!

pmh (was peter)
Job done. 15 minutes including draining and topping up afterwards.

The leaky old one was very, very thin and this made it more difficult to remove. A small hooked pry bar would be easier to use than the large screwdriver that was to hand.

For reference there are total 3 core plugs in the inlet manifold, 2 are possible to change in situ. The 3rd would be more problematic, it looks as though it may be possible if you remove the carb. But acces would probably still be difficult.

pmh (was peter)
Golf Mk2 1600 Driver - Core plug leak. - Cliff Pope
Congratulations pmh - I have never before seen a one-man thread that entirely solved the posed problem!

I had been about to post that in my experience core plugs are very easy to replace in situ, as long as there is access to prise them out, and space to swing a hammer to tap them in.
Sound move to replace them all while you were at it.