Are motorists their own worst enemy? - teabelly
A little bedtime reading swiped without conscience from pistonheads:

Ian Eveleigh ponders on why motorists are letting themselves be demonised

Cue a montage of overlapping news sound-bites: "...nearby residents presented a petition of over 500 signatures demanding traffic calming measures...", "...demonstrators blocked the road for a total of eight hours...", "...since its installation last year the camera has caught 40,000 speeding motorists...".

Where did it all go wrong? There was a time ? not that long ago, even ? when motoring in the UK was not just a means of getting from A to B, but was also something to be enjoyed; something we were allowed to enjoy. Great stretches of road were built for our convenience and pleasure; our mobility was positively encouraged. But somewhere we took a wrong turn and lost our way.

Evil!

Instead of being applauded as a means to visit and explore, the car has become derided as a destroyer of communities. Instead of being seen as a wondrous tool for efficient door-to-door transportation, it has become an artery clogger that we should abandon because it is too slow, yet simultaneously a ruthless ground-coverer that should be reined in because it is too fast.

We are waist-deep in an anti-car age and struggling to find a branch to haul ourselves out by. But how did we get here? How is it that a nation so clearly in love with its cars ? almost regardless of cost ? can also hate them so much? 85 per cent of eligible males and 60 per cent of eligible females hold licences, and teenagers are still tripping over themselves to get mobile by motor at the earliest possible opportunity, so who exactly are we fighting? What is this massive force that makes us feel such guilt for daring to enjoy our cars, that makes us almost ashamed to declare a passion for them in polite company?

Utopia

Sure, there's a handful of small, extremist groups, occupying their time dreaming of a car-free utopia where children can play in the high street and where you can leave your front door unlocked at night. They inflict their vision upon the rest of us a couple of times a year by blocking a main thoroughfare or two (always when the weather is nice, you will note), but they are a minority, nothing to worry about, a small fraction of the population who never got the chance to learn to drive, or whose circumstances mean that they can't afford the unfortunately high cost of car ownership. Their numbers will never stretch beyond that. After all, have you ever heard of anyone who's had a taste of motoring turning their back on it?

Then we've got a government that chooses to lash out at the car. Not through any conviction that it is doing The Right Thing, but because it knows that it can exploit our weakness if it can make us feel bad about our habit. Motorists contribute £42 billion to the economy each year, but in return only £9 billion is spent on transport. Yet guilt buys our silence and our acceptance, and disproportionate reporting that favours sensationalism over education keeps the fear topped up.

Apathy

But the real threat to our motoring pleasure starts much closer to home.

Unlike those small but passionate anti-car groups, ignorance and laziness mean that when we are under attack, we motorists fail to organise ourselves and fight back to redress the balance.

And why is it that councils think we want lower limits, more cameras, restricted access, speed humps and "home zones"? It's because we're asking for them! Sure, we want freedom and rapid progress on our journeys, but in our own street we want everyone to slow down. Well, everyone else , that is, as humorously situated speed traps in response to residents' complaints often prove.

Small Minded?

OK, so you and I, motoring enthusiasts, probably aren't that small-minded, but Mr and Mrs Ordinary Average Car User are. Unthinking drivers taking their mobility for granted. And despite never giving a second thought to improving their own driving skills and behaviour, they know for certain that every other driver out there is under-skilled, inattentive and dangerous, and they want protecting from those reckless individuals passing their doorstep. Trouble is, everywhere is someone's doorstep. So the petitions start, the street furniture moves in, and we all have to tackle the obstacle course. And once one neighbourhood gets it, the next neighbourhood wants it: they need protecting too.

It's this frightening lack of thought from so many, mixed with superb propaganda from relatively few, that has led us to this position where cars are perceived as the root of much evil, and to invest more than is strictly necessary for basic five-seats-and-reasonable-economy transportation makes you best mates with Lucifer himself.

It's a sad state of affairs, but what's even sadder is that a large proportion of the blame lies at our own feet. It seems that when it comes to motoring, we're our own worst enemy.

Discuss!

teabelly
Are motorists their own worst enemy? - Stuartli
It's because the politicians and local councillors need to maintain State power over the populace.

By enforcing such measures and being seemingly determined to get people to switch to public transport (which in any case already can't cope with present day demands in many areas), a stronghold is gradually built up over us.

It also ensures jobs not only for "the boys" - girls too - but also ensures that public services require ever rising staff levels, in spite of claims that such figures are being/will be reduced.

Remember the fuel protests of 2000? New Labour, earlier this year, quietly took measures to ensure that such an embarrassing situation for it would never arise again.

Hence the tales, for instance, that Gordon Brown would hold off/abandon introducing his Budget fuel tax increases if necessary due to rising oil prices. If you believe that you'll etc....:-))

Are motorists their own worst enemy? - Robbie
Can you imagine what it would do to the economy if the do gooders and the Government got their way by reducing car use by, say, twenty-five per cent or more?

Twenty-five per cent less cars sold; proportionately less petrol and other taxable items; twenty-five per cent less road tax.

Big increase in unemployment, with a consequent decrease in income tax and national insurance.

Just think of the knock-on effects.

It is just rhetoric spewed from the mouths of politicians.

Are motorists their own worst enemy? - nick
Can you imagine what it would do to the economy if
the do gooders and the Government got their way by reducing
car use by, say, twenty-five per cent or more?
Twenty-five per cent less cars sold; proportionately less petrol and other
taxable items; twenty-five per cent less road tax.
Big increase in unemployment, with a consequent decrease in income tax
and national insurance.
Just think of the knock-on effects.
It is just rhetoric spewed from the mouths of politicians.

Not a problem, people would just spend their money on something else. Everything is taxed one way or another.
Are motorists their own worst enemy? - Andrew-T
I don't go along with stuart's explanation, which seems a bit too cynical and sour. I prefer to reduce it to the simple fact that too many car owners try to 'enjoy' themselves at once. Almost anywhere south of Preston or Leeds the population is just too dense. To test this, go to Northumberland or south Scotland, it's a different world. To me, that's why the problem can only be solved by persuading quite a few drivers not to. Any ideas?
Are motorists their own worst enemy? - Robin Reliant
"Any Ideas?"

Yup. Lead by example and quit motoring.

Or is it only every one else who should do this.
Are motorists their own worst enemy? - THe Growler
Consider emigration. Somewhere nice and sunny. Terrible \"trapik\" but you have a driver anyway, cheap gas, cold beer, beautiful women and live on £1,000 a month, pay no tax, have a night out with your squeeze for about 12 quid....start a business, IT consulting works well, or recruitment of skilled workers for overseas jobs.

Contact Growler Consultants. We can help.
Are motorists their own worst enemy? - Sooty Tailpipes
I agree with stuartli.

I have found some old photos on the internet - about 20-35 years old - of the area where I live. What strikes me, is how beautiful it looks, not much has changed really, what is most striking is how little signage and street furniture there is.

A roundabout is just that, a big junction is just that, now it's a forest of poles and garish signs with PC messages such as ...

Cyclists dismount, new traffic signal phasing, right turners beware of oncoming traffic, bus lane enforced 24 hours, etc...... the road is covered in lines, chevrons, coloured swathes, symbols and orders.

It all looks like an industrial snakepit compared to the road on the old picrures that was just plain with white lines, and mice grass verges where there are now triangles of crumbling tarmac covered in broken glass and ballast, and a speed camera.
Are motorists their own worst enemy? - Altea Ego
Its very simple, so simple that people miss it. There are more cars, considerably more cars on the road than there was 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago. The problem is that land space hasnt increased to cope with them all.

More cars + same space = competing interests.

By all means look at old photographs of your pretty town and comment on the absence of road furniture and features, but dont miss one important fact, the photo has less cars in it

Why do we have more cars? because we can. we can afford them, more than one for each family. we have the money to use them as well.
Are motorists their own worst enemy? - Adam {P}
Here Here.

More common sense and good words from RF.
Adam
Re cynical and sour....

Read some of the postings in the middle and towards the end of this thread and then reconsider...:-)

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=24...4

People have cars because they want to go where they want, when they want, both as individuals and for maximum convenience compared to public transport.

The government can implore us as much as possible to use public transport (in fact I have a free travel pass that covers buses, tains and ferries over a massive area) but if it doesn't go where you want, or takes six times longer than by car, you don't use it.

I do use my pass - usually when I'm having an evening out on the Guinness or to nip into the town centre - but many of the journeys I make are across, rather than along, the routes used by local buses.

So I use my car instead. It saves four bus journeys in most cases and takes a fraction of the time.

Moreover, if it's a shopping trip, I've no intention of lugging several heavy bags of shopping on and off buses.
Are motorists their own worst enemy? - Baskerville
>Cyclists dismount, new traffic signal phasing, right turners beware of oncoming traffic, bus lane enforced 24 hours, etc.....

In what bizarre corner of Daily Mail world do you live? How on earth could these be politically correct? Three of them offer very useful information and one of them is an instruction indicating the end of a cycle path.

As RF said: we have a lot of cars now and they take up a lot of space.
Are motorists their own worst enemy? - malteser
There is a simple answer which would, at a stroke, solve the problem of too many cars and rampant house price inflation in the South East while at the same time solving many of the unemployment problems in the North of England.

It will never be implemented. Why? Because it involves moving the seat of Government and government supporting civil servants to a location in say, North Yorkshire/North Lancashire or Northumberland/Cumberland.
The politicians and the chattering classes would fight tooth and nail to prevent their being banished to the "uncivilised" north !
"Oh my dear, how could one live north of Watford"!
Roger. (in the UK for 3 more weeks and then back to the sun! )
There are a number of government national services provided in the North of England, including the General Registry Office for England and Wales in my own home town. The work was moved there during the Second World War.

There are also a number of Government Offices in various regions around the country - this covers the work of the North West office:

www.go-nw.gov.uk/

No doubt others will mention other central government diversifications and more, of course, would be welcome other than talking shops; however, a personal view is that London should remain the main seat of government.

Are motorists their own worst enemy? - Rob C
>>. After all, have you ever heard of anyone who's had a taste of motoring turning their back on it?<<

I did like this bit, because before I learnt to drive (as late as 24 years old) I was fervantly anti-car, and pro public transport for all.

Then I got a car and discovered the freedom I had suddenly gained.

It will always be difficult to get car-owners en-masse to stand up together, because we span such a huge section of society.
Combine that with the Great British mentality of "not making a fuss" and we'll carry on paying that extra few pence per litre.
Are motorists their own worst enemy? - Sofa Spud
I'm in the pro-motoring lobby, re. both private motoring and commercial road transport. But that doesn't stop me from being in favour of moving towards ever more efficient vehicles powered by a sustainable fuel source (biodiesel seems most promising).

Also I am in favour of reducing our overall transport needs. Things like more working from home one or two days a week (in jobs where that's possible), less long distance commuting, not using the car to drive half a mile to the corner shop for a loaf of bread etc., etc.

Cheers, SS
Are motorists their own worst enemy? - teabelly
The statistic about lots of journeys being under 2 miles so the person could walk or cycle instead which has been bandied about recently: Has anyone checked who these people are as they could be old or disabled and therefore *unable* to walk to the nearest shop? The population is ageing and therefore there will be more short journeys by car, especially as if you're a little unsteady on your feet clambering up and down buses is not always easy. There will be some people that still do short journeys not in this category but again no one asks why and assumes laziness. It could easily be because they don't have the 30 minutes (shop 1 mile away, 3 mph walking pace) or so a round trip would take and 10 minutes by car is the only time they have to do the trip.

The government don't want us to stop using the car. Having a no car week where everyone just walked, cycled or got PT would cripple the economy. Perhaps motorists should threaten to do just that and see what happens! We could even be meaner and say in x months time we are all going to stop using cars altogether so the government jolly well ought to get the public transport capacity in place to take us to work/shopping etc. It wouldn't happen and we'll all be back to our cars within a fortnight!

Encouraging home working is a much more sensible solution but one that probably won't be adopted due to the nature of the british boss. They like to lord themselves over their work force so if the work force aren't present then their role becomes more difficult. IT staff could probably monitor remote staff productivity more easily and I am sure someone will write a ' management' program to chivy staff along and offer words of discomfort when required.

What I do find mystifying is that the government is happy to build our way out of a housing shortage, thus increasing pollution with all the extra energy and concrete required far in excess of the pollution created by building roads to combat that shortage and allowing for increased travel. Cars have become much more environmentallly friendly and now often put out cleaner air than they take in. If you remove them from the road then air quality could in fact worsen! The government relies on us using more of things to bring them the money they need. If we use less then the whole applecart is upset.
teabelly
>>Cars have become much
more environmentallly friendly and now often put out cleaner air than
they take in.

Ha Ha Ha. I hope you meant that as a joke, because the logic certainly is.
>>Ha Ha Ha. I hope you meant that as a joke, because the logic certainly is.">>

The joke's on you to some extent. At least 10 years ago Saab proved that its Trionic system actually produced cleaner air from the exhaust than taken in from the London atmosphere.

See this link www.autowire.net/1999-5.html for the words: "Saab, one of the smallest auto manufacturers, has never been short on innovation. Their latest development is the Trionic Engine Management System, a sophisticated form of combustion control operated by the industry's first 32-bit microprocessor, developed by Motorola and ingeniously applied by Saab. The degree to which clean emissions are produced is startling. When tested in London on a production Saab 9000 CS, it was found that the outside air entering the engine's intake system was dirtier than the stream coming out of the tailpipe."

I remember it well because I wrote a piece on it at the time, along with a photograph showing the test.

The fourth paragraph in this link will also prove a major surprise to you:

www.saab.co.uk/main/GB/en/pressreleases_archive.xm...e

Moreover, modern cars only produce about a fiftieth of unwanted emissions compared to five to 10 years ago.
Are motorists their own worst enemy? - frostbite
Although a committed motorist, I would support a monthly (say 1st Sunday) 'car free day'.

Takes cover....
>>Although a committed motorist, I would support a monthly (say 1st Sunday) 'car free day'.>>

What on earth for?

Shutting down four coal fired power stations permanently would immediately remove the equivalent of all the cars' emissions on UK roads at a stroke on a day for day basis for both.

Where were they getting the two figures from? What temperatures were the two gases at? Is it an absolute measure or a percentage? Which metal oxides from the catalyst have replaced the NOX etc. and were they measured? Did they measure hydrocarbons? Is SAAB's press release a reliable and unbiased source for this information?

Just a few questions I'd like the answers to.
>Did they measure hydrocarbons?

Just noticed they did. Blame the vino.
Are motorists their own worst enemy? - doug_523i
I've often wondered about "Cyclists dismount" signs, why?? Just because a cycle lane ends doesn't mean I can't ride on the road, it's just clutter.

I notice that when planning permission is given for a new estate, or a shopping park, they don't upgrade the roads to cope, that's what causes congestion, building shops and houses without upgrading the infrastructure. Several new housing estates have been built in my area, and not one of them included a shop, pub, or even a bus stop. How are the residents supposed to get food, or go to work?
>>Just a few questions I'd like the answers to.>>

As the test was conducted, as I clearly stated, in the early 1990s, it's difficult to remember the exact details of the testing, but the RAC being involved seems to ring a bell.

Those were the days when the Internet was still a twinkle in most computer system owners' eyes, so finding out the exact test details would not be that easy.

It was only in the later part of the last decade that manufacturers' Press Relations departments began to use floppies, CD-ROMs and, even later, websites to provide digitally based information as well as on sheets of A4.

However, the tests attracted considerable publicity at the time and, as Saab has continued to gradually improve its Tionic systems, it can only be presumed that similar tests today may well prove even more satisfactory.
Of course engines are much cleaner than they were, but I doubt many chemists would agree that taking some air and combining hydrocarbons with it can ever leave you with cleaner air overall. As with many of these things I think it's smoke and mirrors: clever selection of the target chemicals (what's considered bad, and what ok?) and (I suspect) measuring the gases under different conditions. For example, measuring the ambient air at average temperatures (say 15 deg C) and then at exhaust pipe temperatures will result in different concentrations of impurities for a given volume of air assuming the pressure stays the same. I'll bet the exhaust gases were measured at a much higher temperature than the ambient air. Just guessing of course, but this is all about marketing after all. If petrol engines could be used to clean air we'd be attaching exhaust pipes to airconditioning units and my eyes wouldn't hurt when I visit London or LA.
I'll bet the exhaust gases were measured at a much higher temperature than the ambient air.>>

As far as I remember the tests were carried out on the road. Naturally the exhaust gases would be at a higher temperature than the ambient air.

Why be so pessimistic? At least car manufacturers have been working on cleaning up exhaust emissions for some considerable time now and the vastly reduced levels indicate a considerable measure of success.

It's only the politically correct and the do-gooders contriving to have our cars perceived as evil monsters destroying the world, that makes those unaware of these vast improvements blaming cars for all the world's ills.

Buses, trucks, planes, ships and power stations (especially poorly maintained diesel powered buses and trucks), along with the horrendous pollution from some third world countries, contribute far more unwanted emissions overall.
when I visit London or LA.>>

LA? Considering that California has the most strict pollution control laws/rules in the world - you virtually can't even have a cigarette anywhere - I'm surprised at that....
Are motorists their own worst enemy? - A Dent{P}
> At least 10 years ago Saab proved that its Trionic system actually produced cleaner air from the exhaust than taken in from the London atmosphere.<

No science required here I think.

Next backroom poll: Would you prefer to stand in a closed room full of London air, or a closed room full of Trionic system exhaust gases?

i.e who wants to be naturally deselected.

Motorists have only motors in common, so diverse are they. That is just not enough to bring a nation of individuals together because all to often the topic (even if clear cut) will be high-jacked for political purposes , everyone will smell that and walk away. In any case, it?s a world wide problem.

There is something that industry can and should do right now, and that is encourage people to work from home where possible and if required. That needs a change of mindset on having a work place, will have insurance, working hours and other implications but it can be done. The commute could be halved.

The analogy with being indoors is irrelevant as the situation would not arise.
Are motorists their own worst enemy? - Cardew
>> when I visit London or LA.>>
LA? Considering that California has the most strict pollution control laws/rules
in the world - you virtually can't even have a cigarette
anywhere - I'm surprised at that....

LA had the reputation for the worst pollution from vehicles of any city in the USA. The huge number of vehicles on the road and the geographic layout combined to give a virtually permanent smog.

"Situated in a basin surrounded by mountains and sea, wind speeds are low on average due to frequent temperature inversions = pollutants do not readily dispense. Breeze just cause trapped pollutants to be circulated around the basin. Plenty of sunshine causes photochemical reactions such as ozone formation."

It was largely the plight of LA that drove the introduction of the very strict pollution laws in California.

I haven't been for some years now but from the hills around LA you could always see the yellow cloud over the San Fernando valley. I am going again next month so it will be interesting to see if there is any improvement.

I'm not pessimistic about this Stuart--internal combustion engines are far cleaner than they used to be and will get cleaner. But that's partly because cleaning up emissions is the only target the car industry reasonably can follow if they want to be seen to be doing something; anything else means fewer car sales and poorer results for share holders. Hence they play up their achievement and play down the inherent limitations of the technology. They'll continue to do that until legislation combined with competition forces change and then they'll go as far as they have to and no further--that's business. Great strides have been made, but reducing tailpipe emissions is not the whole answer I'm afraid.

As for LA, well I ve been there a few times in recent years and it varies depending on the weather. I'm a country bumpkin so maybe I notice bad air more than hardened urban dwellers, but I usually find it pretty bad for the first day or so--must be rough on asthmatics. The reasons are partly geographical as Cardew said, plus the area of the LA conurbation is roughly the same size as the island of Eire, so you're never out of it. We're also talking about a lot of cars in California: last time I drove into San Francisco from the north (a couple of years ago now) I sat in a crawling jam that was 120 miles long, the equivalent of a jam from the northern end of the M5 right into central London. We don't have a problem by those standards.
Are motorists their own worst enemy? - Dalglish
my eyes wouldn't hurt when I visit London or LA

>>

its the clean air that is hurting your eyes! :: ;-) ::

seriously though, as i said in another thread, even if britain cut down its use of oil to zero, it would make virtually no impact on the world climate or oil resources.

see
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=24...5

Are motorists their own worst enemy? - patently
Is SAAB's press release a reliable and unbiased source for this information?

"When scientists from the Government's Warren Spring environmental research laboratory at Stevenage drove a Saab through the City of London,..."

(my emphasis)

Looks kosher enough for me.
Are motorists their own worst enemy? - barney100
We need a national leave your car at home week and do everything that the authorities hold dear. Get on the bus, the train your bike...saw a bike today on the pavement travelling beside the cycle lane...or plan b, drive exactly as the law would have us,it would bankrupt the police, local authorities and be very satisfying. Stick rigidly to speed limits,be strong and do not overtake on the inside,middle lane hog no longer, no jumping red lights and let lorries out.
Are motorists their own worst enemy? - somebody
>>Instead of being applauded as a means to visit and explore, the car has become derided as a destroyer of communities. Instead of being seen as a wondrous tool for efficient door-to-door transportation, it has become an artery clogger that we should abandon because it is too slow, yet simultaneously a ruthless ground-coverer that should be reined in because it is too fast<<

Welcome to the Socialist state. Socialists hate cars because they represent the ultimate in personal freedom. They would prefer everyone to use the corporation tram. But Socialists are hypocrites, too, "do as I say, not do as I do". Hence Blair goes everywhere flat out in a gas guzzling Range Rover with a bunch of heavily armed bully boys for protection. Most of the Government have their kids in private schools. They go to the private sector for medical care. Etc., Etc. But for you and I - the proles - guns are bad (except for criminals); for transport you should use the corporation tram; send your kids to Bogg Lane comprehensive; wait a year to get your back surgery.

Unfortunately with a brief exception while Margaret Thatcher pulled Britain back from the brink, the country has been governed by Socialists since the 1940s and there is no reasonable alternative going forward.

Emigrate.
Are motorists their own worst enemy? - tartanraider
Usually.....