Ford Warranty - andy4
If I buy a 12-18 month old (UK Spec)Ford Mondeo will it definitely come with the balance of the original 3 year warranty.
I gather the original warranty is one year plus 2 years free optional. Am I right to assume the optional 2 years is only valid if the car is serviced by Ford. Would I have to register the new ownership with Ford?

Grateful for advice.

Andy
Ford Warranty - Aprilia
Yes, the 'extra' two years are a kind of insurance-type warranty provided by Ford dealers - its not manufacturer backed. There are a variety of 'terms and conditions' which apply - one of them being that the vehicle is serviced by Ford.
Ford Warranty - smoke
For the age of car you are looking at, for the extra two years warranty, i think the service has to be done at a ford dealer. However just fyi, on fords sold after the change in law in May, the extra two years warranty still stands even if the car is not serviced at a ford dealership (though they still havn't changed their paperwork in the manual), as long as manufacturer's parts are used etc etc.
It may be worth checking with ford UK to see if the same may be true for your age of vehicle, and if so can they give it to you in writing. If they say yes, then you are away, and if they say no, there is no loss.
cheers
SO
Ford Warranty - Aprilia
on fords sold
after the change in law in May, the extra two years
warranty still stands even if the car is not serviced at
a ford dealership (though they still havn't changed their paperwork in
the manual), as long as manufacturer's parts are used etc etc.

I am not an expert on this so I *may* be wrong, but I thought the Block Exemption law changes to which you refer only apply to manufacturer's warranties. Other warranties (i.e. insurance-back type, which is being referred to here) can apply any conditions that they choose - including being tied in to a dealer.
Ford have had lots of time to change their paperwork; the new regs. came in last October and where planned about five years ago!
Ford Warranty - smoke
Heya Aprila, I thought that as well, which is why when i got my new fiesta in June i phoned up Ford UK to ask. Their reply was thus:
1) For the first year actual manufacturer's warranty you don't have to get it serviced at ford, just evidence of ford parts and schedule used
2)For the next two years of basic "Ford protect Classic" (3yr 60k) which is given to you "free". You still can have the car serviced anywhere as long as evidence of ford parts is given
3) If you decide to take out ford "premium plans" (3/4/5 years) which you can only do before you book your first service, then you have to get the car serviced at Ford only.
Ford Warranty - Canon Fodder

Bear in mind it'll be 3 years or 60,000 miles - whichever is the sooner Andy, so a mega-mileage repmobile will effectivly only have a 2-year warranty.

CF