Rapid Trye Wear - VW Passat - Sofa Spud
The front tyres on my Passat have worn right down, on the innermost edges only, in 8,000 miles, indicating a tracking problem. The previous front tyres, of exactly the same type, had done 23,000 miles and were transferred to the rear where they\'ve done another 8,000, making a total of 31,000 miles.

I queried this with the tyre retail chain involved, and the response was that I\'d probably hit a pot-hole and in any case tracking should be checked every 3 months. OK, for 100% precision, maybe - but surely adjusting the steering so frequently could in itself lead to problems with locknuts and threads.

I thought steering linkages are the one item that\'s always over-engineered for safety reasons - I can\'t believe it could be so delicate.

The fitter used a blowtorch to free the locknut when he did the tracking - I\'ve since learned that this should never be done. The tracking equipment gave the correct reading, but if the linkage was hot at the time, would the components contract sufficiently when cold to give toe-out bad enough for this level of wear?

Any opinions?

Cheers, Sofa Spud
Rapid Trye Wear - Bill Payer
Sorry, not clear from post: when was the tracking checked? At the time when the front tyres where replaced at 23K miles? If so, why was it checked - did something indicate that it needed checking?
Are you saying the tyres did 23K miles, then the tracking was adjusted, then the new only did 8K miles?
Rapid Trye Wear - Sofa Spud
The tracking was checked and adjusted when the new tyres were fitted. There was slightly greater wear on the outer edges of the old (23,000 mile) tyres - but not severe - they're still on the back, 8,000 miles later, and only now coming up for replacement.

I'm wondering if the rapid wear on the INNER edges of the new tyres could be from adjusting the tracking when the linkage had been heated with the blowtorch, so that it was wrong when it had cooled and contracted slightly.

Thanks, SS
Rapid Trye Wear - Aprilia
I'm wondering if the rapid wear on the INNER edges of
the new tyres could be from adjusting the tracking when the
linkage had been heated with the blowtorch, so that it was
wrong when it had cooled and contracted slightly.
Thanks, SS

Unlikely since I assume the fitter only heated the area around the locknut to free it off. The percentage expansion over the whole tie-rod length would be tiny.
More likely the fitter just set your toe wrong. Since its a Passat it might be worth checking your suspension bushes and balljoints - they can wear prematurely.
>>Are you saying the tyres did 23K miles, then the tracking was adjusted, then the new only did 8K miles?

Yes

Thanks SS
Rapid Trye Wear - Peter D
Clealry the adjustment was incorrectly done and seriuos toe has worn the tyres I would Insist the tyre retailer change your tyres at there expense minus the 8000 miles use and they pay the VW main dealership to align you tracking properly. Regards Peter
Rapid Trye Wear - SjB {P}
Although it sounds like your setup was poorly done, don't forget, as many people seem to, that it's not only toe in / out that affects tyre wear. One other cause can be camber.

A previous car of mine suffered from bad tyre wear on the inner edges, and the cause turned out to be incorrect camber of one front strut (even though both tyres wore badly). The error was tiny (minutes, not degrees), but the effect significant.

History was that after getting well and truly fed up with the 'fast fit' brigade, I pursuaded the Leasco to allow me to visit a full suspension pit, with technicians who knew how to use their kit. It was only then that the cause was found, and no manner of tinkling with track rods would have solved it.
Rapid Trye Wear - Sooty Tailpipes
Yes, I agree SJB, had a similar problem, where the 4 wheel alignment places said it was all OK, but I still suffered irregular tyre wear and camber drifting. My front Camber was out of spec but everywhere said that was OK and not adjustable anyway. Eventually I found somewhere which understood the problem, and they undid the strut bolts and had someone hold the wheel while they did them up, so that they were both bang on to the end of the permissable range that would cure my symtoms. The result was amazing, The car was much more precise and agile, and no more irregular tyre-choming. They could have fitted adjustable cam-bolts, but these were £80iah and they didn't have them for my car in stock. If I suspect it slips, I would buy these and have it done again.
>>One other cause can be camber.

I'd thought of this - but would adjusting the tracking suddenly affect the camber that much if no other alterations are made?

Cheers, SS

PS sorry about the bad spelling mistake in the title - I'll write out my corrections 3 times:
tyre tyre tyre
Rapid Tyre Wear - Dr Rubber
SS,
On my old polo (and may other VW motors), both the camber and toe in are adjustable. In one instance the tracking (toe) was spot on, but the camber was out.
Not many fast fit places have the kit to check this, but most VAG places do. Prices vary, but its worth doing (I get it checked every inspection service).
Joe