Volvo 740 warning light - Alyn Beattie
Hi All

Due to the temporary loss of use of my trusty Carlton I have bought a cheap Volvo 740 GL for towing. Seems to do the job reasonably well. But one problem. The left hand warning light on the dashboard stays on occasionally. It looks like an axle with short lines underneath, all enclosed in a circle. Does anyone know what this means? And how do I fix it

Thanking you all in advance

--
Alyn Beattie

I'm sane, it's the rest of the world that's mad.
Volvo 740 warning light - Halmer
Probably means that your lights are on during the day and you are lighting up the axle of the car in front.

Sorry Alyn, best that I can come up with.
Volvo 740 warning light - Adam {P}
Well Alyn,
I've looked at every single Volvo enthusiasts site and cant' find a damn thing. Can you be a bit more specific re the light or is it really an axle with two lines?

I can tell you what it isn't. It ain't the ABS! That narrows it down!

Volvos seem to have lights for everything including blown bulbs. Here's a thought - I could be way off but you mentioned you use it for towing. Anything to do with the tow bar?

Sorry - that's the best I can come up with.
Adam
Thanks Adam

Yes it certainly looks like an axle. 2 short lines underneath. Don't think its anything to do with towbar as it seems to be standard fitment.

--
Alyn Beattie

Volvo 740 warning light - Adam {P}
Sorry - clutching at straws - it ain't traction contol is it? That would probably be a picture of a wheel though.
Adam
Would a 1989 volvo have traction control? could be.
--
Alyn Beattie

Volvo 740 warning light - SjB {P}
Suggest you try asking the question in the General or Other Models forums at www.volvospy.com. There's a pretty good chance you'll get the answer.
Thanks SjB

Will try that

--
Alyn Beattie

Volvo 740 warning light - defender
volvo 740 handbook says it is the ABS warning light would be worth having it checked ,sorry havent been on for a while or would have replied sooner
Volvo 740 warning light - volvoman
Can't help with the answer as I got shot of my 940 but why not just ring a friendly Volvo dealer and ask?
Volvo 740 warning light - Civic8
Check out brake fluid level.IIRC its the abs light.may be wrong worth a look see.
--
Was mech1
Hi All

Many thanks for all your help. Brake fluid level is fine. Seems it may be a dirty sensor on the ABS. When I can find the time I will clean them all. Currently putting a new quarter chassis on the Landy Series 111, so this is going to have to wait.

Thanks again all. What would we do without the backroom.

--
Alyn Beattie