Volvo 960 cutting out - Tony Prendergast
my 1993 Volvo 960 automatic (140000miles ) has been hitherto trouble free.Now it has started to jrrk when stopped in traffic ( like a sudden power surge ) and, worse, the engine can suddenly cut out when cruising. Switching to neutral and restarting the ignitiongets it going again but its scary to cut out at 70mph on the motorway. My local garage can neither replicate nor diagnose the problem. Any ideas?
Re: Volvo 960 cutting out - ROBIN
Ermmm....welllllll.....its electrical,and it seems sudden,so probably iignition,so something may be getting hot and cutting out,then cutting back in when it cools,but GOKW.
I've got a Volvo boat engine like this,but thats caused by the magneto and my bone idleness in not changing it,and you havent got a magneto.I do hope its not a control unit,but methodicallydisconnecting,wd40ing and rconnecting the ignition circuit cant hurt.A volvo dealer will undoubtedly charge you for a new control unit,labor at about seventy quid an hour and very possibly a tenner for disposal of your old unit(that was not a joke).
They recently charged my mother three times the actual cost of new oil to dispose of the old stuff!
Dont go there!
The franchised motor trade really is getting a little bit naughty with their silly charges,and bearing in mind that they are terrified about losing their monopoly on one hand and really eager to encourage us to use them outside warranty on the other,I can only conclude that they have their heads firmly rammed up their own arses.
The local Cornish Volvo dealer is more likely to see a Boeing 747 in its workshop than mothers Volvo,and the joke is on them,for she likes them and would prefer to use them!