User Roadtest - New Polo - arnold2
I thought a user test might give a useful counterpoint to HJ's review here....

I recently had a Polo 1.2 Twist as a courtesy car for the day, so had chance to throw it around a bit on some Norfolk roads.

First impression inside was 'hello Skoda' - a rather square dash design with monotone plastics actually make it look cheaper than it really is. Looking at an old model Polo (the one with the revised dashboard), I couldn't help thinking both the design & finish were rather better in the older model....

Surprise no 2 was the engine - maybe mine had been flogged to death as a courtesy car, but I don't know where all the 'peppy' performance the reviews I read had gone - mind you, since it weighs as much as a Golf IV, 65bhp isn't a lot... but at least it's fairly smooth. The fuel economy wasn't brilliant, mind.

The biggest shock was the handling, though. I have previously driven the Fabia with the 1.4 100bhp engine, and was pleasantly impressed - smooth over bumps but with good grip. By comparison the Polo was rather fidgety at speed. Cornering was good up to the limit, but the breakaway was rather sudden and alarming.

Sum up ?
Well, it does look classy, but I couldn't help thinking if it was my money, I'd go buy a 2 year old Fabia 1.4 16v instead and save a lot of money.