Buying a car with no tax, moving it - was8v
Have been offered a bargain used car with MOT but no tax.

Snag is it needs to be moved tomorrow on public roads to be mine.

I can insure it but it will have no tax.

The car also has a headlight out. Car will be moved in daylight.

It is actually impossible for me to tax it the same day i buy it (insurance docs wont come through in time and faxes arent accepted)

Any ideas on what i can do? Is there any way of taxing it or a break in the law that lets you move a recently bought car?

Present owner cannot tax it as it is not insured.

I realise I would risk a £1000 fine if I drive the car untaxed.

Anyone else think this is a ridiculous situation?
Buying a car with no tax, moving it - henry k
I have taxed a car on the same day as buying it, by first collecting the Insurance doc in person.
I did it on Christmas Eve by going to Direct Line in Croydon.
Enquire of your insurer if it is possible to collect it or a cover note assuming geography permits.
Buying a car with no tax, moving it - was8v
thanks for the suggestion but i've got to take the car from derby to lancaster, so no where near croydon! (direct line is also my insurer!).

hmm just thought, i wonder if a local insurance broker will insure me for a day or offer a 14 day cooling off period like direct line etc. Could sort it tomorrow am then go see the car then tax it...

any other suggestions?
Buying a car with no tax, moving it - Galaxy
Arrange insurance over the telephone but make sure you are covered for the day you wish to move the car.

Book an MOT test at a garage in Lancaster for the same day, and you are allowed to drive an untaxed car to a pre-booked MOT test. The fact that it has a current MOT can just be forgotten, I think.

I used to think that the pre-booked MOT had to be at a local garage but someone said on here a while back that it doesn't. Try doing a search for the relevant explanation.
Buying a car with no tax, moving it - Dwight Van Driver
So you have Insurance and a current MOT but no Excise Licence and a front light not maintained in good and effecient working order. You want to move vehicle home.

If you drive the vehicle without Excise Licence and you are stopped then technically you are using the vehicle without an Excise Licence. This is a REVENUE OFFENCE. Stopping Officer, if he persists in reporting you after your truthful explanation, will submit a Form CLE 2/6 to DVLA. So if stopped, with priority, you go to Post Office with V5 piece from previous owner, ask for Form V10, produce MOT, Insurance and cheque and take out a current Licence. As a result, by the time Form Cle 2/6 has landed with DVLA then their records will show vehicle taxed.

Now if it is an ANPR/DVLA Enforcement check, I feel you may well be able to make out a case against evasion if you have the forms ready to show.

Regarding the wonky headlight, Reg 23(3) Road Vehicle Lighting Regs 1989 allow the use of a vehicle during sunrise and sunset with a lighting defect providing the defect occurred during the current journey OR arrangements have been made to rectify with all reasonable expedition.

Don't forget to send the V5 part to notify change of ownership.

DVD
Buying a car with no tax, moving it - blinky
You might be able to print off your insurance details from Direct Line's website via your login. That would act as a cover note for tax purposes. (One of the advantages of buying insurance from them online - pay your premium and get an instant cover note).
Buying a car with no tax, moving it - Sofa Spud
Depends how big a bargain the car is, but it might be worth hiring a small self-drive single-car transporter which can be driven on a car licence. However it might be difficult to find a vehicle for hire at short notice.

Cheers, SS
Buying a car with no tax, moving it - Zaphod_Beeblebrox
simply go to the local tax office, and you will be able to tax it. they can contact the insuarance comapny for confirmation it is insured, a post office cant, but the tax office can
Buying a car with no tax, moving it - kithmo
Don't know what it costs these days, but the simplest way would be to hire a trailer for the day.
Buying a car with no tax, moving it - nomark
I bought a car and drove it for 3 months before i realised the tax disc was in date but for another ford vehicle :/
will always check in future!!!!
Buying a car with no tax, moving it - johnmac
AFAIK you get about 2eeks between changinf tax till yuo get you new disk.

Also i used to drive about with no tax a couple of years ago because i couldnt afford any, i was told that as long as you backdate your new disk i would be fine.

Buying a car with no tax, moving it - Rosanbo
Well you did this a few weeks ago, so it's irrelevant now, but I like galaxy's suggestion and Dwight Van driver aswell.

If it were me I'd just insure it and go and get it. If plod stops you (unlikely) just tell them and have the filled in V10 form and the reciept for the car ready to show them.

I think Dwight is right, if you have no tax you are usually told by DVLA to back date your tax and that is the end of the matter. I think plod would not want to prosecute you through the courts. Mitigating circumstances and all that.

When I buy from auction there is no tax disc, I just insure it and drive it home. The way I look at it is, if you are going to be back-dating the tax to the start of the month anyway then what is the big deal? It's not like you are driving it all the time without tax, you are driving it on the day you have purchased it.

What did you end up doing?
Buying a car with no tax, moving it - wrinx
I can see one problem with all this....as far as my knowledge goes (could be VERY wrong here!) if you had an accident driving a non-taxed vehicle then you are missing one of the three legal necessities for being on the road, these being insurance, MOT and Tax and therefore the other two are treated as void.....ergo you are NOT insured!

Hope I'm wrong.

wrinx
Buying a car with no tax, moving it - martint123
If you read the declaration you sign when getting tax, then you will see that the fine and punishment is vastly greater when you say it hasn't been on the road when it actually has. All it takes is a neighbour you've upset or someone to start checking V5 change dates compared to tax application dates and it starts getting expensive.
Buying a car with no tax, moving it - Mapmaker
>>If you read the declaration you sign when getting tax, then you will see that the fine and punishment is vastly greater when you say it hasn't been on the road when it actually has.

But they give you a month to do this. So you should hang on until the 1st of the month, and then you have 31 days to fix the car. Then, when you apply for the licence, with effect from 1st August, you can tick the box to say that the car has not been moved on public roads since you bought it for any period when it will not (by now) have been taxed.

Afraid there's nothing for it but a trailer. And it's not entirely unreasonable for the law to limit the use of old wrecks on the road. That you have just bought it is no excuse for having an unlicenced, unroadworthy vehicle!
Buying a car with no tax, moving it - Cliff Pope
Afraid there's nothing for it but a trailer. And it's
not entirely unreasonable for the law to limit the use of
old wrecks on the road. That you have just bought
it is no excuse for having an unlicenced, unroadworthy vehicle!

The MOT method works quite well, and is perfectly legal. Just make sure you a) book the MOT and b) don't be tempted to do anything else except collect the car, go to the MOT, return home.
It's a bit unfair labelling all untaxed cars as old wrecks. There are perfectly valid reasons for letting the tax expire on a sound car (bought replacement car, death sale, recent restoration, etc).
Buying a car with no tax, moving it - Mark (RLBS)
>>Hope I'm wrong.

You are. Tax is not relevant to insurance, and MOT is usually, although NOT always, also irrelevant; provided that you can show that the car was roadworthy and would have passed an MOT.
Buying a car with no tax, moving it - Astro
So the only legal ways to move an untaxed car is to either a: Hire a trailer, assuming you have a car with a tow bar, or b: book an MOT at a nearby garage the day you move it, even though you know it will fail.

Last time I MOT?d a car it cost just over £40, what would it cost to hire a trailer?

Paul
Buying a car with no tax, moving it - Stuartli
If the non-working headlight is only due to the bulb having gone, it surely can't be too difficult to fit a new bulb?

Why not arrange for the car to be MOT'd at the nearest National centre to where you are collecting the vehicle (see National's website for nearest branch), especially as the MOT will be done at half-price?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Buying a car with no tax, moving it - henry k
If the non-working headlight is only due to the bulb having
gone, it surely can't be too difficult to fit a new
bulb?

>>
It can be if you do not have the proper instructions.
See my post on changing a Mondeo headlamp bulb
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=27...8
Buying a car with no tax, moving it - frostbite
Look at the date of the original posting chaps!
Buying a car with no tax, moving it - martint123
Doesn't matter really - still valid.