which pads and discs for pug 306? - greg
Hi

I need new front discs and pads all round on my 98 306 xsi (2.0 16v). I would like my braking performance to be better so what would anyone suggest I get? I drive normally - that is to say no track days, no particularly frequent late braking - just normal road use.

Disc-wise I will go for the same plain ventilated design I have now, but what make?

I have considered EBC greenstuff and Mintex 1144 pads which appear to be for 'fast road' use. I have read that these may not feel any different from standard pads until they have some heat in them, so is there any point in me spending the extra on them? I shan't be doing any frequent 80 - 0 stops.

I have also considered standard black EBC pads. I wonder if these are the same as OEM pads, or will they offer any improvement?

Finally, as my pads and front discs are on their way out, will new standard ones (once bedded in) feel better anyway?

Thanks in advance..

Greg
which pads and discs for pug 306? - DL
Personally I would endorse the Mintex "Brake Boxes" - two discs and a set of standard pads in a box, as a kit. I can't believe how cheap these are for some top-noth kit.

I wouldn't bother with EBC pads, they seem very harsh on the discs.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
which pads and discs for pug 306? - Cyd
I have EBC Turbo Groove discs and Greenstuff pads on my Rover 820 Turbo. I would thoroughly recommend both as a very decent and cost effective upgrade.

The Greenstuffs work fine from cold and give a great progressive feel.
Does anyone know where I can get a mintex brake box from? I can't find a price or info about it on the internet anywhere. Would standard pads from a company like Mintex give improved performance over an OEM pad?

Mintex say that their 1144 'fast road' pad gives you the confidence of a standard OEM pad from cold and performs better at higher temperatures. I wonder whether I would ever reach these high temperatures to actually make spending the extra money worthwhile. I wonder if the EBC Greenstuff pads are the same? I have read that they eat discs more than the 1144, but I think they are cheaper, so much a muchness perhaps?
To continue...

I've been making some calls.

Partco offered me Unipart pads and discs. Standard stuff - £81 all in.

Another offered me standard Mintex stuff at £110 all in.

Last one offered me Apec pads and Brake engineering discs all in for £110.

Any thoughts on Unipart versus Mintex vs the last lot? It's a minefield! What's the point in me spending an extra £30 over the unipart bits?
DL;
"they seem very harsh on the discs".....where did you get this from??? Ever tried them? I find them very kind to my discs (as stated in EBCs blurb) despite pulling up a 1450kg, 200bhp car under the influence of my leaden right foot.

Greg;
"What's the point in me spending an extra £30 over the unipart bits?".....in your original post you asked for better braking.

which pads and discs for pug 306? - DL
I speak from experience with my VR6 Golf - along with a few other EBC 'owners'

But I am happy to see positive feedback regarding these remarkably dust-free pads.....
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Maybe there's some variability from disc to disc. However all pads also wear out discs too, so I suggest this is a price worth paying for the improved braking.

I had Mintex 1144 on my Rover prior to the Greenstuffs. Both worked fine from cold, neither were harsh on the discs. However the Greenstuffs give a more progressive feel and better pull up overall. The Greenstuffs are also more resistant to fade when hot. Having spoken to EBC, they recommend Red Stuff for my car due to its weight - these are kinder to the disc in that they take more of the heat away from the disc surface, thus reducing the risk of warpage (a problem on my motor)

I would think that on a Pug you are less likely to experiance fade than on my Rover, due to the lighter weight car.

Yes, the dust free aspect is a big bonus. I hardly ever have to clean my alloys anymore and when I do it's very easy.