oil choice for a classic porsche 911 - Drew20
I've just bought this car as a project. It is still a good runner but the bodywork is a mess.
the oil pressure is running a little low, unsuprising after 120k and 30 years of wear. I have no idea what oil is in at the mo but its good and black and probs needs changing.

what oil would you guys recommend for a moderate miles 30 year old 911 engine

FYI I'm getting about 22psi at 2200 when I should be getting about 30-35ish

thanks
oil choice for a classic porsche 911 - Roger Jones
Castrol GTX labelled "for engines with over 75,000 miles". Don't you dare flush the engine! I'd change the oil immediately and change it again after 1000 miles of good running.

Having said that, I will ask a neighbour who deals in used Porsches and will let you know what he says.
oil choice for a classic porsche 911 - SjB {P}
And look for the hidden internal rust at the base of the front screen pillars.

Good luck though. I'd love to have the time and money to purchase an original 3.3 turbo Whale Tail four speed, restore it to 'as new', and use it. Often. Definitely the landmark car of my teenage years. The horrid kit car called a Lambo Countach never did it for me, but the Porker did in spades.

A friend is currently 90% of the way through fully restoring an early 2.0 litre Sport model, so have a lot of fun with whatever model yours is!
oil choice for a classic porsche 911 - tr7v8
It always used to be a Shell monograde recommended for these in fact Shell Rotella which is a diesel oil. Don't run a modern multigrade unless it's specifically recommended. It's air cooled so oil is the cooling medium as well as lubrication, they're also dry sumped which makes it even more critical.

Jim
oil choice for a classic porsche 911 - Mapmaker
If you change the tar (!) you should get better pressure.
oil choice for a classic porsche 911 - Victorbox
Take a look at the Penrite oil range at www.penrite.co.uk/nextpage.php?navlink=vehiclespre...d
oil choice for a classic porsche 911 - Roger Jones
Further to my first post, here's what my neighbour says:

It's not unusual for the oil pressure to be low at tickover on
a car of that age, as long as it does go up when it's at 3500-6000 rpm. I would use a good 10-40 semi. GTX Magnitex seems like a good bet; its what I run my car on. The thinner 0-35 such as Mobil 1 would be of no benefit to a car of that age, as it is likely to make it smoke &/or promote oil leaks as it's too thin.
oil choice for a classic porsche 911 - tr7v8
I stand corrected!

When the car was new, Porsche recommended single-grade oils for these cars, SAE 30 for the summer and either SAE 20 or SAE 20W-20 in the winter for temperatures from +5F to 32F (-15C to 0C), of SAE 10 for constant temperatures below +5F (+15C). Normally, I recommend that you follow the suggestions in the owners manuals, but a lot has changed in the past twenty or so years.

Porsche revised its oil recommendations for these early cars about ten years ago to a multi-grade oil. The engines in these older cars were built for use with motor oils which were available at the time these cars were built. Because these earlier oils were thicker than what is usually available today, the engines internal clearances were greater than the more modern engines built since the mid seventies. Porsche also recommends not using synthetic oils in these early engines because of different types of seal and gasket materials used in them.

The cars affected by these updated recommendations are: the Type 356 (all 356, 356A, 356B, and 356C). Type 912, Type 914-4 and 916-6 (and the 916), Type 901, and Type 911 through 2.4-liter models built in 1973. The new recommendations are:

For Summer or warm climates:
SAE20W-50
SAE20W-40
SAE40
For Winter use and in cold climates:
SAE 15W-40
SAE 10W-30

Jim
oil choice for a classic porsche 911 - THe Growler
With a bit of experience of "old" (read "classics") cars let me share my experience.

1. Synthetic is definitely unsuitable. It is very searching and will find out all kinds of leaks on an old engine;

2. Absolutely do not use any kind of flushing oil;

3. Buy the cheapest 20/50 or similar you can find, drain the oil, refill with the cheap stuff and run that for 10 mins then drain again;

4. Refill with a good semi-synth and change the filter;

5. Do the whole thing again after 1000 miles.

HTH

G.