Travelling to Silverstone for F1 GP - mfarrow
Hi

I'm going to be travelling for the first time to Silverstone for next weeks grand prix and was wondering what peoples' experiences are when it comes to setting off times/traffic conditions.

Ideally I'd like to arrive at a time when there's not much traffic around. I don't mind arriving early(ish), say 10:00.

I'd be travelling to the circuit from the M1 going southbound and I have a parking pass for circuit parking (as opposed to Park & Ride).

Any comments or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Mike Farrow
Travelling to Silverstone for F1 GP - Altea Ego
Right well first things first, 10:00am is not early enough. From memory there is a warm up session at 9:00am. (the price you paid you might as well get full value)

The A43 is now dual carriageway all the way, and on race day I think this is going to be one way into the track and one way out, Be prepared for some jams but all in all its much better than it used to be.

I shall be going on Friday, pitching the tent, and leaving on Monday morning. See you there.
Travelling to Silverstone for F1 GP - Stuartli
According to news reports on plans to close Northampton's A43 to non-race traffic on the Friday (July 9) of the 20004 GP weekend, a further move is a 'one-way' system for the M40 and M1.

All four lanes of the dual carriageway A43 will also be available for ticket-holders, according to new media reports and local traffic will be diverted.

Travelling to Silverstone for F1 GP - Mark (RLBS)
>>I shall be going on Friday

Hey RF, I live not so far from there. Fancy a pint on the Friday night ?

Anybody else ?
Travelling to Silverstone for F1 GP - Altea Ego
Sorry mate, not this time - i will be in a crowd of blokes and in no fit state to drive anywhere ;)
Travelling to Silverstone for F1 GP - Morris Ox
Result of next weekend's British GP:

1) Schumacher
2) Button
3) Barrichello
4) Trulli
5) Raikkonen
6) Coulthard
7) Montoya
8) Fisichella

Sure you'll have fund, but don't rely on the F1 race supplying it.
Sure you'll have fun spotting that I put fund...
Travelling to Silverstone for F1 GP - Thommo
If your talking about race day then 06:00am is too late!

If mega rich go by helicopter, otherwise:

I would advise either go by motorbike or if in a car then park anywhere you can in Towcester and walk/cycle to the track (about 4 miles).

Getting in and out will be a nightmare as usual.
Travelling to Silverstone for F1 GP - NARU
Last time I went (a couple of years ago), I turned up early for my helicopter (on an airfield about 5 miles south of the circuit) and its was too cloudy for it to fly. So I had to drive the last 5 miles. I wouldn't have minded, but I'd wasted an hour waiting for the chopper!

As it turned out, the traffic was fine - a complete contrast to every other time I'd been to the race.

If I were going next weekend, I'd aim to arrive at the circuit by 8:30 am absolute latest. Probably 7am.

Have a great time. I've been for about 8 of the last 10 years, but decided to skip it last year and this.
At last, the truth - Bernie Ecclestone IS a member of the BR!!
Travelling to Silverstone for F1 GP - Wilco {P}
Public Service Annonucement - from the Milton Keynes Citizen.

"The A43 between M1 J15A and the M40 J10 will be closed to through traffic on 9/10/11 July.

Non-race traffic will be diverted along the A508, A422 & A421 or vice versa."

More information at

www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/misc/silverston...m
www.northants.police.uk/silverstone_main.asp
www.brdc.co.uk/events.cfm/flag/2/be_id/6/bep_id/6

Me- I'll be away for the weekend as the number of helicopter flights in the locality makes you feel like an extra in Apocalypse Now.
Travelling to Silverstone for F1 GP - Bromptonaut
For the benefit of those approaching from the east the A45 has been re routed around Northampton. After the Queen Eleanor interchange it now follows the former route of the A508 to M1/J15. The section from Queen Eleanor to J16 has been de trunked and appears to have lost its number altogether. The signage has not been consistently amended.