vauxhall vectra/noise - pastyman
Hi chaps,

I have a 1800 Vectra on a X plate (2000) and i have a slight problem with noise.
I'll be driving along and as soon as the engine gets to approx 3000 rpm i will get a fast ticking noise, almost like a tappet is out of adjustment, the noise is only there when my foot is on the throttle as soon as i let go the noise stops.
My Vauxhall dealer said it is nothing to worry about, but then again they couldn't explain it either.
I was wondering if anyone in the back room could shed some light on the situation for me.
Many thanks.

Pastyman...
vauxhall vectra/noise - Mark (RLBS)
is it the injectors ? I had a cavalier that made a similar noise and that's what it turned out to be.

Annoying, but never did any harm.
vauxhall vectra/noise - Dynamic Dave

Blowing exaust manifold gasket?

There's been a previous mention of one of the corner studs snapping off on a Vauxhall Astra:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=22052

vauxhall vectra/noise - volvos60T5SE
Hi, I had the exact same problem on my y red SRi, I would agree with 'Dynamic Dave'. On my vectra, the problem was the exhaust manifold, only £250 to replace!

Hope this has helped!!!!
vauxhall vectra/noise - brianrh
I had a strange ticking noise on my 99 (T) Vectra which seemed to be coming from behind the right handside of the dash. It would generally be present somewhere between 2500 - 3000 rpm but only when cruising. On accelerating or de-accelerating it would dissappear. This turned out to be the known fault of resonance in a peice of corrugated pipe connected to the carbon canister in the front offside wheelarch. My Vauxhall dealer replaced it free of charge and the noise has never come back.

I don't know if Vauxhall stopped fitting this pipe but they were certainly aware of the problem. Hope this helps.
Hello Backroom,
Regarding this post.

I took my Vectra into my local main dealer under warranty and a fitter worth his salt finally found the cause of the tapping noise at 2500/3000 rpm, it wasn't any of the causes as mentioned in previous posts, it turned out to be a butterfly valve of some sort that is fitted in the inlet manifold, at the said rev range the butterfly starts to chatter and thats the cause. A new inlet manifold was fitted and hey presto, no more noise.
Hope this helps anyone else out there in case they have the same problem.

Pastyman...
Further to the previous post,,

The inlet manifold was replaced as the butterfly valve and manifold are a one piece unit.
Including the labour, this would have cost me a few pence shy of £500, theres a lot to be said for extra warranties.

Pastyman...
vauxhall vectra/noise - cheddar
Hi, I concur with brianrh 100%, I had a V6 Vectra with precicely the symptoms you describe, replacing the corugated pipe with smooth bore piping did the trick.

Regards.