Selling a vintage registration plate - footy_72
I'm buying a 42 year old car with it's original numberplate LLL NNN (L=letter N=number).

Is it possible to sell that plate, and then get a new age related plate from the DVLA?

Selling a vintage registration plate - Mark (RLBS)
I seem to remember that whilst you are permitted to have a plate implying an older age than your vehicle actually is, you are not permitted to have one showing a newer age.

So I'd think probably no.
Selling a vintage registration plate - Myles
I think what Footy means is that if he were to sell the original registration mark could it be replaced with one appropriate to the age of the vehicle - in which case, I'm pretty sure the answer is "Yes".
Selling a vintage registration plate - NARU
Please don't! The car's managed to keep its number for 42 years - please let it continue!
Selling a vintage registration plate - Mapmaker
Footy in fact has a great money-making scheme.

1. Buy an old car with an ageless registration plate ABC 123.

2. Sell plate ABC 123 to punter 1 for loadsamoney.

3. Get DVLA to allocate suitable ageless registration plate ABC 124.

4. Sell plate ABC 124 to punter 2 for cash.

5. Add '1' to plate number. Add '1' to punter number.

6. Goto 3

Result - extreme wealth
Selling a vintage registration plate - footy_72
mapmaker, you've found me out.

although i was only planning on doing it the one time!

i know it would be a shame, but it could raise me a couple of grand, which would help with the restoration of said car.

Selling a vintage registration plate - Older_not_wiser
OK - factor in the DVLA "retention fee" (I think it's called) at £80 (or was)
- and hassle of selling at what? £200? -
not such a money-spinner.
Selling a vintage registration plate - just a bloke
- and hassle of selling at what? £200? -
not such a money-spinner.

Well it does rather depend upon what the plate is... cos some of them sell for ludicrous(sp?) sums of money.

JaB
Selling a vintage registration plate - 9000
I don't think replacement plates issued by DVLA after the sale of the original 'ageless' plate are transferable.
Selling a vintage registration plate - NARU
9000 is right - the replacement number is non-transferrable. The age related plates were brought in so that older cars didn't have to have in indignity of a Q plate, but absolutely non transferrable.
Selling a vintage registration plate - Mapmaker
Poor beetle. A name change after all these years. How would you feel, footy_73?!!
Selling a vintage registration plate - RichardW
Sadly, it's not a great money making scheme as the car from which the number is transferred has to have a current MOT.

I think the only time you get a non-transferable plate is if you get the original number back for a vehicle that was not on the road during the early 80's and the number was not registered on DVLA's computer. You have to get good evidence of the original number for DVLA to oblige though!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....