Problems with Gear Change. Rover 416 - Car
I own a 99 Rover 416 and have a slight concern with the gearchange on my car.

On occasions going from 4th to 3rd can be awkward. i.e. the gear lever moves smoothly out of 4th into neutral then it seems to get stuck; usually if I release pressure on the gear lever then push into third if goes in, other times it changes from 4th to 3rd with no problems.

Reverse can sometimes although be awaked to get into, on odd occasions have to lift and press down clutch twice before getting reverse.

The other thing is that when changing gear there is a sort of of clonking noise when going from gear to gear, especially 4th to 5th and 2nd to 3rd, but again this does not always occur

Any suggestions as to what this might be and the cure would be appreciated.
Problems with Gear Change - Mikey Jay
Is the gear linkage controled by rod or cable? If it is cable operated check that this is correctly adjusted. You will need a Haynes or manufacturers workshop manual. Reverse is often quite difficult to select.Mikey
Problems with Gear Change - Car
I've just looked in the Haynes Manual and in the general info section on gearbox it to say's it is rod mechanism but no where does it mention how to check the settings or is this not possible on a rod mechanism?

Thanks
Problems with Gear Change - Peasant
Any linkage types I have seen are adjustable.
The haynes nanual should cover it under removal / refitting. (?)

Problems with Gear Change - IanT
It was hard to change from 1st to 2nd on my 306, though it was only really a problem when the engine was cold. Actions taken:

1. Change gearbox oil. No obvious improvement.

2. Change clutch cable. Clutch movement now much lighter, but didn't improve 1st to 2nd change.

3. Spray gearchange linkage joints with WD40. Noticeable improvement, but it didn't last long before back to normal.

4. Dismantle gearchange linkage and remove from car. Clean, grease and reassemble (without readjustment). Noticeable improvement in change from 1st to 2nd, but the overall gear change "feel" is worse since everything feels looser than previous. And it is a bit "clonkier" than it was. Haynes recommends a special grease for the the joints (may only apply to 306), but I used copper grease - only a smear required.

Conclusion. Action 4 was right, but it might have been better with the correct grease.

Ian
Problems with Gear Change. Rover 416 - Civic8
Same prob on 414.has been for a while.linkage is fine its the box causing it.has been a prob on these since they come out.it as far as I know isnt a fault.though it should be classed as.I think classed as characteristic of box.may be wrong.
--
Was mech1
Problems with Gear Change. Rover 416 - MarkSmith
Hi,

Can't help with the gearchange problem, but to make it easier to get into reverse, try selecting fifth before reverse. Don't understand why this works, but it does (on mine anyway).

Cheers,
Mark
Problems with Gear Change. Rover 416 - Hawesy1982
As Ian T suggested, when this problem occurs on 306's it is invariably the linkage mechanism drying up and becoming stiff. A good clean helps this.

Obviously your Rover may be different, but i would try this fix anyway as it takes just 10 minutes of your time and costs pennies for the grease.