Mitsubishi Commander import - Crinkly Dave
One of my friends has a 1996 grey import Commander 2.9 Diesel on which the crank pulley has been wobbling
The local stealer has diagnosed a damaged pulley. First quote was that the pulley (£220) would take 4 weeks to arrive, but they have now requoted for 2 days if he pays up front. He intends having a local independent fit it, to avoid dealer hourly rates.
The Service manager has now suggested that if the key is damaged the cost could rise to approx £800.
I am a bit puzzled at this. I have known this happen on other makes, where the pulley keyway,key or crank keyway has failed. If the key itself has failed, but not the crank keyway, the cost would only be a few extra pennies. If the crank keyway has gone, the correct cure is a new crank. This would be more than £800.
I have not had a chance to examine the damage, as my last look at the thing resulted in me chipping my front tooth and splitting my lower lip (don't ask)
Has anyone else any experience of this fault or its repair
Mitsubishi Commander import - Collos25
What do you mean by a crank pully ,the flywheel or the front end pully?
The pulley at the cambelt end/front of the engine, driving alternator & air con etc
Mitsubishi Commander import - T Lucas
If there is any damage,clean and weld,i know a Pajero that has covered 25,000 miles+ with this repair.
An update
Not yet examined the pulley, but have spoken to my friend a little more. As I expected the main dealer has quoted £600-800 for a new crank, but without explaining it is an engine out and and lots of dismantling etc. I explained that if he were to do this a secondhand engine may be cheaper. He wasn\'t too happy at this.
My suggestion was to let the independent look at it, but if he were to find the crank keyway was damaged, change the cambelt, put a bevel on the end of the crank and pulley, and weld it on. If it don\'t work you haven\'t lost a lot, and still need a secondhand engine. If it does work, you have 40-50k before the cambelt fails and you still need a new engine. It is going there tomorrow.
Thank you \"T Lucas\" for suggesting the same course of action.
Before you feel too sorry for him, he did recall hearing a noise from the engine for 3-4 weeks before bothering to take it into a garage to look at it!
The dealer did say the pulley was a modified one, so this may be more common than I expected with Mitsubishi
Thanks to you all for the suggestions
All now sorted
He took the pulley to the independent who sold him the grey import. As he had had it for less than a year, and out of warranty they did it for "trade" price.
He took the pulley, and they fitted it (plus an oil seal, bolt on alternator broken by my hamfisted friend, and 2 drive belts for £75 all in. One of the advantages of living in a depressed part of the Midlands
Sounds like the outer pulley may have been separated from inner by a rubber insert, which had failed.