USA Motoring - Cardew(USA)
Those who think that all American motorists have unsophisticated tastes, and aspire to a Cadillac or Lincoln when they can afford it, might be interested in a motoring article I am reading here which lists the best 10 luxury cars under $45,000(approx 25,000 pounds) this includes domestic cars. They are:

BMW 3 Series
Audi A4
BMW 5 Series
Audi A6
Infiniti G35 Coupe
MB CLK
BMW Z4
Saab 9-5 Wagon(Estate)
VW Touareg
Infiniti FX45

The Infiniti is to Nissan what Lexus is to Toyota.

At this price the models are the top of the range often with 4WD. For instance the BMW 330xi with 3.0L 4WD(AWD) has a base price of approx $34K

In this part of America(Atlantic coast of Florida) it seems that the median age of drivers is 70+ and hence one would assume into the traditional 'floating barge' car. However the 'Bread and Butter' market is dominated by Hyundai/Kia/Honda/Toyota and Lexus, Jaguar and Mercedes seem to be the luxury car of choice.
USA Motoring - THe Growler
I concur, as a fairly regular visitor to FL. What is slightly amusing is my American friends and colleagues are all cruising around in exotic imports as you say, while I am lining up at Budget at Tampa Airport to get the biggest Septic Tank I can find!

As for 70+ year old drivers, just watch out for The Snowbirds!

USA Motoring - hillman
Growler
I wish you wouldn't use so many buzz words! What are 'snowbirds'?
I'm pushing 70 myself, glad to hear so many American motorists have survived in what seems to be a hazardous area of the world.
Sorry, Hillman.

Septic Tank=Yank (sometimes used as "Septic", abbr.) "Snowbirds" are the elderly retirees from the Northern US and Canada who come down south to warmer climes to escape the winter and meander around in large Buicks on the Interstate, or worse in monstrous Winnebagos, causing alarm and despondency among other road users. Most weigh about 300 lbs, although I can't tell you what a Winnebago weighs. Thankfully a beneficent Wal-Mart built stores with car parks big enough to hold them all and aisles wide enough to accommodate the Great American Posterior.

Tampa Airport is a place ;+)

HTH
USA Motoring - NowWheels
Those who think that all American motorists have unsophisticated tastes,
and aspire to a Cadillac or Lincoln when they can afford it, might be
interested ina motoring article I am reading here which lists the best
10 luxury cars under $45,000

An article will show the journalist's tastes, not those of the public. A survey woold give a better indication of public tastes, but the real proof of the pudding is in the sales figures.

For myself, I really like the American ability to build really easy-to-drive fuss-free cars with soft ride, which encourage a relaxed driving style. Motoring journalist petrol-heads may prefer the more frenetic driving style of European cars, but is that really where the American public is putting its money?

The harsh ride of so many European luxury cars may make some sense for the sort of 100mile trek which gets you most of the way across most European countries. Distances in America are a completely different ballgame: a 100 mile trip for dinner is a feasible exercise in many places.

Soft ride, cruise control, auto everything, and non-twitchy steering are the tools you need for the long-distance journey on the open road. Has the American buyer really been conned into accepting the markter's myth that a very big sports car is an adequate alternative, let alone a superior option?
Nicely put NW. I would also add that those who smirk at American cars have failed to understand the nature of the road system and the requirements from an automobile in that environment. Imagine driving a Mini for 600 miles in a day on I-95! You'd need half a bottle of Aspro to get the buzzing noise out of your head.

I am also addicted to the feel of a big lazy V-8 under my right boot with its endless surges of quiet fuss-free power. Driving in the US (except Boston on a Friday afternoon and definitely NOT NYC!) is a relatively pleasurable experience. The road system of course was designed round the automobile, which I think is the nub of the matter, whereas UK's for example, evolved with the horse and cart, thus you have an unpredictable set of highways and you never know what to expect.

My favourite for rentals is the Lincoln Town Car (oxymoronically named maybe). Totally stress-free automobile. I often turn the key twice because I didn't hear the engine start, snick it into D, settle back intoi sumptuous leather, head out on the highway, lock the cruise control, let the radio find the local oldies station, kick back and enjoy the ride.

But you can still get a nice comfortable Jap to drive in the US like the Camry. But nothing beats a big pick-up truck IMHO!

The same goes for bikes. The manic way Jap engines require to spool up in order to produce any action is no match for the instant on-demand kick in the back I get from my Harley. Plus I hate all that plastic and how cheap and industrial everything looks underneath it. Once on the open road you virtually never change gear and the thing feels like it will take you to the ends of the earth without missing a beat. Albeit not at 147 mph but who in their right mind would want to go that fast on a public road anyway?

Now then, must chase up those trans parts for my wretched Mustang........
USA Motoring - Cardew(USA)
NoWheels,
Can't argue with your post NW - although some points.

Firstly, although the article is the opinion of a journalist, there is little doubt that opinions like this are influencing the cars produced and sold in USA. The top selling cars in the USA have been dominated by Toyota and Honda in recent years, with Korean cars catching up fast.

I have driven a lot of American cars over the years - mainly rental - and IMO there is no doubt that they have changed for the better. The Chrysler 300M - about E Class Merc size - I had for a few weeks was excellent and light years ahead of similar size US cars of yesteryear.

Regarding the "Soft ride, cruise control, auto everything, and non-twitchy steering". Foreign cars produced for the USA market have different suspension settings etc than, say, the European market. That said, they are still more responsive than the luxury cars that used to be produced by Cadillac, Lincoln etc.

Fuel economy is far more important these days with petrol costing 30p a litre!! This is why the V8 so beloved by Growler is becoming a rarity and 4cyl is the norm for most cars with 6cyl in the majority of up-market models.

However reliability is still the strongest selling point, which is why the market for imports is dominated by Japanese/Korean/German manufacturers and French & Italian cars are only noticeable by their absence.

C
30p a litre? goodness, we're on 24p/ltr already for 95 octane and there are rumours of a military coup already if the oil companies don't roll back the price.

/gloat mode off

I once drove a Pontiac GrandAM from Vancouver to Montreal. An econmomy enviro-car and a load of the proverbial. I thought halfway through the trip maybe I should call my lawyer to update my will, it took so long. The US doesn't do small cars well.

What I want is either a mean muscle car with a lunatic cam and 4 barrels poking through the hood which will deplete irreplaceable natural resources at an alarming rate and which was conceived pre-Nanny Era, and which I can enjoy with no conscience whatever while giving the mataphorical salute to those miseries in open-toed sandals and their 2 CV's made out of recycled Spam cans, or else my favourite automobile equivalent of an aircraft carrier (linc or Caddy will do) wafting me gently down I-something or other while Willy Nelson's Greatest Hits remind me what proper music is all about.

Yes before someone asks it, I like Denny's and No 6 motels aren't bad either. Howard Johnsons at a pinch.

Town Car is alive and well, glad to say. Cardew come on, driving anythinmg less than a V-8 is simply un-American!

USA Motoring - Quinny
'Yes before someone asks it, I like Denny's'

Having just returned from FL 2 days ago,I preferred Perkins to Denny's.I found the service at Denny's on I-Drive terrible,whereas the service at Perkins across the road on Sand Lake Dr was first class.

Ken.
USA Motoring - Mark (RLBS)
I love Denny's - the amount of nights on the way back from San Francisco I would dive into the Denny's at Foster City for a big breakfast and endless coffee - love it !
USA Motoring - uk2usa
The people that I work with here in the US are mostly British/Indian/Korean/Chinese. Almost all of them buy Japanese or Korean cars. Even most of my American friends do the same. A friend of mine has a mid 90's GMC Sierra pickup. It feels absolutely prehistoric to drive. The steering is vague beyond beleif to the point you wonder whether its connected to the wheels. Make a right turn even a low speed and the tires (tyres?) will screech and it feels like the door handles are scraping the road. Stand on the gas pedal and admittedly it makes a nice noise but it isnt THAT fast. Dont even ask how much fuel it uses. I really wonder why people want to buy such scrap.
USA Motoring - uk2usa
Oh yeah and regarding American bikes and the low down torque that was being discussed earlier, I agree it is fun. You really do need to get the Japanese bike engines spinning much faster before they do anything. However, I kinda like having the throttle wide open at 10K rpm on my Honda CBR 600!
10k rpm?! Bit hooliganish-what? My Hog gets its act together around 800! I jest.

But we are discussing USA Motoring. Has any one here been pulled by a US Highway Patrol?

Wow, scary. I was pulled over on the Florida Turnpike at about 2 a.m. by a 300lb female cop (yup Raybans at that time of night) with partner hovering in the background, hand hovering above holster, police radio chattering the background. License and registration please. Takes and walks back to patrol car which is lit up like a Christmas tree. Yours truly sweating just waiting for "Get out of the car! Hands above your head. Spread 'em!"

Ms Dunkin' Donuts returns. Explains they're looking for a black Buick like this one and they see I'm a visitor, apologize for the inconvenience...phew....

Then I got my new Road King back in 1997 in Chattanooga. TN is a beautiful state with excellent largely deserted winding country roads. So I have my new Hog and am laying it into the bends a bit in the hope I can get sparks of the floorboards if I don't bottle out. A black and white lurks in a side turning and sees me coming. Pulls out and follows. I'm rehearsing the sorry officer stuff (I was most definitely speeding). No lights, but he pulls alongside and waves me down. I pull into a layby by the lake.

"Sorry sir, hope y'all don't mind. I wanted to check out the new Harley with the fuel injection. Thinkin' of gettin' one meself".
Finds out I'm a Brit and is amazed, I might just as well be from Mars in that part of the world. So we have a long conversation about bikes. "Y'all have a nice day now and ride real careful".

But what I like about driving in the States is you can set out with virtually no plan for the day and you can always find service and motels at any time in any place you want at prices which won't break the bank. Provided you speak enough broken Spanish to communicate with the clerk at reception......LOL

USA Motoring - trancer
My previous vehicle was a 1993 GMC Sierra pickup, and yes Growler it had a 5.7 litre V8 (sorry, no carbs). The thing to remember, uk, is that trucks were not meant to be driven as cars and many people find that out to their detriment. One only has to check the local insurance company auctions to see how many rolled SUVs and trucks are there...mostly new and most likely rolled by someone changing to one from a car. Although they are used as personal transport, trucks were designed as work vehicles and when one has to spend many hours a day in one you want the lightest possible steering and braking.

I have spent 13-14 hours straight in mine many times when towing my bike up to the TN and NC mountains (Growler knows why) and to arrive feeling fresh at the end of the journey can only be attributed to lighter than light steering, an ungodly powerful Aircon, plush sofa-like seats, silky smooth autobox, and cruise control. The big thirsty V8 really came into its own when the cruise was set at 85 MPH and you knew that no uphill climb would cause it to break a sweat. Just effortless motoring right to the end.

As for the doorhandles scraping the road when cornering, your friend's truck must have had a seriously worn suspension. Because of the need for load carrying, truck suspensions are usually quite stiff and you could be pretty much assured of minimal body roll when cornering, much less than a standard car in any case.
>>>>>>>>I have spent 13-14 hours straight in mine many times when towing my bike up to the TN and NC mountains (Growler knows why) and to arrive feeling fresh at the end of the journey can only be attributed to lighter than light steering, an ungodly powerful Aircon, plush sofa-like seats, silky smooth autobox, and cruise control. The big thirsty V8 really came into its own when the cruise was set at 85 MPH and you knew that no uphill climb would cause it to break a sweat. Just effortless motoring right to the end.

There is a God. Darn it, I miss my F-150.......

USA Motoring - uk2usa
I got pulled over by the highway patrol in southern AZ. Was speeding a little, not much, maybe 10 mph over the limit in a deserted area. I was still pretty new to the US and didnt know the procedure here. Jumped out of the car (bad idea!) wearing just a pair of shorts (no shirt or shoes!). The guy is like \"What the hell are you doing\", so I replied \"Oh, am I meant to stay in the car?\". He soon realised I wasn\'t a threat, and on hearing the Scottish accent, he was intrigued. Guess you don\'t get many Scottish people of Indian descent in Southern Arizona! After telling me about the time he went to play golf in Ireland (during which I did my best to look interested), he told me to drive slowly then he left.
USA Motoring - hillman
I just love this website!!