Damage to door - Doc
One of my colleagues? at work has reversed into the front drivers door of my Rover.
Damage is two dents and a broken door mirror. The car was hit with some force.
She has admitted liability and payment will be via her insurance.
I have started to get quotes, but the suggested remedy is not consistent.

No.1: (Rover Main dealer): new door skin.

No.2 (large bodyshop linked to Nissan/Rover/VW dealer: repair to dents only.

No.3 (independant BMW Garage which does bodywork for all makes): new door!

The door now has uneven gaps around the edges.
I have no prices yet.

Can I push for a new door, or will the other insurance company try to go with the cheapest option?

Or can the existing door be sucessfully re-aligned after repair?

The car is in extremely good condition, so I want it returned to its previous state.
Any thoughts?

Damage to door - Sooty Tailpipes
I'g get a new door. As it's her insurance, you have a right to be put in the situation you were before the accident. You didn't have filler in your door, or a door skin which will probably skew the reflection down the flank of your car, and rust at the bottom after a few years. Just get two quotes for "replace door and make good."
Damage to door - spinner
If her insurance is covering it - I'd go for the new door. Take it to the garage and they'll agree with you.
Damage to door - OldPeculiar
If the door has become warped as you suggested in your post then filling or a new skin is never going to make the door fit the gap as well as it used to - get a new door. Is there any damage to the adjacent door or wing or to the hinges etc?
Damage to door - L'escargot
Won't whichever insurance company is paying for the repair want to have one of their assessors approve the cost (and hence the method) of the repair?
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Damage to door - Sooty Tailpipes
They may *want* to, but you have the right to have it repaired at the VBRA (or whatever it's now called) bodyshop of your choice. You will not lose statutory rights if you do, but you may lose rights such as them providing car hire free at the point of use (you would have to pay and claim it back which could take months)
Damage to door - Doc
I have now spoken to several bodyshops and the general concensus seems to be that a new door is not required and that a sucessful repair can be made to the door. (It would seem that if inspected, the other party's insurance company would not agree to a new door)

I am told that a door skin is not necessary, but that if used would show that a repair had been made, as they would not be able to match the factory welding/sealing around the edges(viewed when the door is opened) which may put off future buyers.
Also, a door skin would involve more paint matching with adjacent panels.

I have found a small bodyshop locally and have been able to inspect their work.
As the man said: "if you come here, I will be the one actually working on the repair, but if you go to a large outfit you will never really be sure what has been done, or if the apprentice did it"

I am inclined to use this repairer as he was most helpful and a welcome change from the 'production line' attitude of the large dealers/bodyshops.

What do you think?

Damage to door - Altea Ego
Sounds like a bloke with some pride in his work.
Damage to door - Mondaywoe
Repairs from 'approved' bodyshops usually come with (at least) a 3 year warranty these days. You can always take it back if you're not happy and insist it's done properly.

A new door is possibly not necessary, but do make sure that the frame isn't very slightly twisted - enough to leave uneven gaps around the frame.

Graeme