306 xsi 99 erratic revving - Dave P
I bought a 306 xsi on a v plate and from the day I left the garage I've been getting problems with it. When running normal it loses power and "kangaroos" as though it is running out of fuel.It also idles erraticaly and has stalled a few times.

I took the car back to the garage and it was blamed on an oil pressure sensor. It was apparently clogged up and when cleaned out the car ran smoothly for a couple of months. But the oil gauge varies every time i turn the car on.

I've read other articles talking about a stepper motor in the older models causing similar problems and was wondering if this affects the 2l 16v models too.

The other problem is the fans kick in at strange times and my large red stop sign comes on on the dashboard.

I was thinking it was just the temperature and oil sensors but was intersested if anyone else had experienced similar problems

Help would be much appreciated

Dave P
306 xsi 99 erratic revving - LeePower
Hi

Check & clean the 3 temp sensors plugs by the thermostat.

1 x Blue
1 x Brown
1 x Green

Yes it has 3, dont ask, its french! lol
Peugeot sensors are wired so that if they or the wiring goes faulty, the fans will run & the stop light will come on.

Is the throtle cable adjusted correct?

Garages & people play about with this & make matters worse, Have a look where the little clip is that stops it going through the bracket.

You should see a black plastic sheath with grooves in it & the clip in one of them, there should be 3 whole grooves between the clip & the washer/rubber stop.

The cable needs this free play for the ECU to work at warm up & adjust the idle speed.
306 xsi 99 erratic revving - r1ch1e
Sounds to me like the lambda sensor is faulty. Try taking it out and giving it a clean up to see if anything improves.
306 xsi 99 erratic revving - Ross Lavery
Also what sort of plugs you got in it mate, they dont like much apart from OE Ones.

Coil packs used to be hot faivorite on the XU10 J4s, used to change a few on a regular basis, failing this would agree with the above Lambda Sensor

Cheers
306 xsi 99 erratic revving - cholin
I have a 406TD which is occasionally prone to rev up and down, sometimes quite alarmingly, could this be the lambda sensor? If it has one. If so what is it, what is its purpose and where is it?! Please.
306 xsi 99 erratic revving - r1ch1e
The TD doesnt have one, unless its a hdi?? Has it got the EGHR valve as some do and some dont, try unplugging it if it has, if it runs better thats the problem. If not its most likely dirty injectors. Chuck some millers injector cleaner in the tank and a bit in the fuel filter housing then give it a blast out in 3rd gear. Works wonders.
306 xsi 99 erratic revving - cholin
O.k. on the millers. But would have to admit that the what and where of the EGHR valve is as much a mystery to me as the Lambda sensor. Always willing to learn though. The car appears to be a 2.1 406 DT LX.