Insurance - Fully Comp? - Adam {P}
Hello all,
After my first year of car ownership (and third party insurance in my name) I have decided that I will upgrade to fully comp insurance as it's only a touch more in the second year. Anyway, I have been told that fully comprehensive cover entitles you to drive any other car third party? Is this true? It would be most helpful as sometimes I play taxi to my Mum and Dad when they want to go out for a drink so being able to drive his would make a lot more sense on those occasions.

Your input would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Adam
Insurance - Fully Comp? - StuW
Don't think having fully comp insurance would make any difference as it only covers your car not the other person's. I imagine it depend on the insurance company though, my dad has his car on third party fire and theft and he can drive other peoples cars with their permission i think it depends how old you are.
I'm 19 at the moment and have third party insurance in my name on my car and i asked if i could drive other people cars with their permission and i was told this only applies to people over 25.
Insurance - Fully Comp? - DavidHM
Adski, IIRC you're 20?

Having fully comp, as Stu says, generally only kicks in once you're 25, and then sometimes even when you have TPF&T, such as Churchill.

Also, I don't know what car your parents have, but how popular would you be if your third party only cover for their car meant their car couldn't be repaired if you crashed it?
Insurance - Fully Comp? - PoloGirl
Adski, it depends entirely on your policy. I'm fully comp, but it would be extra for me to be able to drive other people's cars, and it doesn't become an automatic right upon turning 25 either. It has to be written in your policy, not just assumed as something that comes with being fully comp.

Would probably be cheaper for you to pay to be added as a named driver on your parents' policy.
I'm 19 in August so probably the worst age ever in the insurer's eyes. Dad drives a Focus which I actually learnt in but I can see how it would be very bad if I crashed it. I'll start ringing around now and see what happens.

THanks very much for your replies.

Cheers

Adam
Insurance - Fully Comp? - BobbyG
Adski, couple of thoughts for you to ponder on.

Lady recently ran into back of my aunt's 206. Lady had borrowed her fathers car as hers was in the garage. Thought she was covered 3rd party under her own insurance but was under 25 and transpires that she wasn't (genuine mistake). Result - her father's Clio smashed up, 206 smashed up, and , as "I go to press", no insurance for either!

Unless it was a banger, I would never drive a car third party as a relatively small bump could result in a couple of grand out of pocket. Just not worth it.
I see your point Bobby. The ironic thing is is that my car is currently only third party so I think whatever the 'other car scenario' is I'll have to go fully comp as my car has been broken into since I got it. At the minute, third party is costing me a cool 2 grand (ish). I *think* that Fully comp will be 1700 ish this year but I'm not sure.

Thanks again

Adam
Insurance - Fully Comp? - martint123
At your age, I'd think twice about claiming if it was broken into. Think of the lost no claims, bumped premium etc.
I'm on fully comp, but thats only because its the same price as TPFT. Having a car and two bikes any claim for me would cost the earth.
Martin
Insurance - Fully Comp? - DavidHM
If your aunt's 206 was only insured third party, then obviously her own insurance won't pay up, but as a last resort, an action in the Small Claims Court would mean your aunt shouldn't be out of pocket. Not pleasant or necessarily recommended by any means, but if the alternative is having no car, present one on finance, etc...
David, Aunt's car is fully comp so if worse comes to the worse she can claim on her own insurance. The latest update is that her insurance company has advised her that the other party's company may well pay for the damage to her 206, but not to the other party's car.
Insurance - Fully Comp? - David Horn
Regardless of whether the other insurance company agrees to pay or not, your Aunt's insurance company should provide a service, free of charge, to recover damages on your behalf through the small claims court if necessary. IIRC, taking legal action on your behalf is an advertised benefit to most I.C.'s and if they can also recover their costs, you'll see no effect on your NCB either. I may be wrong, but I think it's worth giving them a ring to see what they say. IE, in a "What if..." sort of manner.
Aunt has now had it confirmed that other car's insurance will pay for repairs to her car. Don't know what is happening to the other car though!!