citroen ax starting problems - cmm
Hi

I had left my citroen ax in the driveway for a couple of days and when I tried to start it today it took about 4/5 attempts to start. I recently had to leave it in because it was overheating, and the mechanic fitted a new thermostat, flushed out the radiator and engine coolant and fitted a new radiator cap.

Since then I have heard what sounds like running water coming from beneath my feet particularly when I accelerate, although there is no wet patch beneath the pedals. I also had to top up the coolant levels with about 1/2 litre, though they were all topped up and checked when the car was fixed - on 22nd May. I can't see any visible leaks coming from below the car.

Has anyone had any similar problems to this? If this may be a big job to fix, I would be seriously thinking of getting rid of the car, as it's already been to the mechanic 4 times already this year!! :-(

Many Thanks in advance!
CMM
citroen ax starting problems - Peter D
Yes your mechanical has left air in the system and should be bleed out, of the car that is not the mechanic that is. The manual illudes to the bleeding procedure. Regards Peter
Thanks for the advice, Peter. I promise I won't go and bleed the mechanic by mistake!! :-)
CMM
citroen ax starting problems - greaser pv
You don't tell us if it's diesel !

However , your starting problems may stem from a water ingress into a cylinder caused by a faulty head gasket , esp. as you say you have experienced over-heating problems......
Sorry! It's a petrol engine - I would have thought that would have been something the mechanic would have looked at, but I will check up on that...though the engine hasn't overheated since the thermostat was replaced?
Many Thanks
CMM
citroen ax starting problems - Kingpin
Pretty sure this is an air lock - my 2001 Punto had similar gurgling noised from the heater region. Trapped wind (!).
I managed to bleed it out by gentle persuasion and topping up the radiator with the air bleed screws open, massaging the coolant hoses to release the air. If work has been done recently on the cooling system then this would suggest the system not re-filled correctly. If could possibly cause starting problems, perhaps a temperature sender not getting correct reading? Get the coolant sorted out first then see if the starting problem persists.