Computer related questions Volume 14 - No Do$h

******** Thread now full, see volume 15 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=22699

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 14. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892
PCI to USB card install problem - wemyss
Planning to move to broadband and on my win 98 there was no USB connection so yesterday installed a PCI to UBS card with two connections on.
No problems there as windows recognised it and installed it.
However it did at one stage say it could not find a driver. I tried windows update with no success.
In control panel/system it shows.
Ali PCI to USB open host controller.
USB root hub
Ali PCI to USB open host controller
USB root hub.
The above all have drivers and it says no problems with them.
PCI Universal serial bus. This one has a yellow question mark with an exclamation mark through it.
Checking properties it has no driver and I am unable to find one.
This card has no manufacturers name on it or its box and is made in China although a chip on it has the name Ali as shown above.
Reading up I find a question mark with an exclamation means it has problems.
I did wonder if it was because there was no device plugged into it and it would then require a driver for the device.
Any help or advice please would be most welcome. Only after installing did I find written on the box Driver software 98 SE,2000,ME & XP. Could that be the problem.

PCI to USB card install problem - smokie
If the card didn't come with a disk or CD then I'd contact the seller - they usually would (I think!)

However, if you have a choice of USB or ethernet connection for your broadband (NTL used to give you the choice), I would recommend ethernet on Windows 98 rather than USB, especially older Win98.

A couple of mates have had problems with "running out of resources" when using USB for their broadband. Swapping to ethernet completely cured it. (Having said that, these go back a while so maybe the broadband hardware has changed to reduce this risk)

Ethernet cards are usually under a tenner
PCI to USB card install problem - Civic8
Would depend on version of win/98 installed.early versions dont support usb unless OEM ie manufacturer installed its own drivers.what version have you.?
Mine is the early win/98 but according to the Microsoft site they are able to use USB.
Have contacted the shop but they are unable to help at the moment but will look into it.
I think the drivers needed must be in 98SE but unless I know the name of the card manufacturer little I can do.
support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;2...8

if that wont work then go smokies route.But as pc wasnt supplied with usb would assume it wasnt meant.Having said that some win 95 were supplied with usb but worked according to OEM as said before.??.isnt there any webb site or company name that that can be traced?
PCI to USB card install problem - smokie
Mech - possinly not. I recently bought a 8x DVD writer from PC World but I don't have a clue who it was made by. No drivers with it, but it worked 1st time - if it hadn't I would be after a refund from the shop.
In order for a machine to work on any win/system it has to be either plug & play ie windoz recognises the machine.or it has its own drivers.As you didnt mention your OS can only assume it was a later version of 98/ME.please correct if wrong appologies if I am.????
A correction to what I said all 98 versions support USB it was a case of some manufacturers did not install usb.
I don`t know if you have tried this but looks interesting
www.usbman.com/Guides/ali_tips_and_tricks.htm
PCI to USB card install problem - DavidHM
Drivers are likely to be here: www.ali.com.tw/eng/support/drivers.php although it depends on the exact card which chipset it includes.

I have an ALI USB2/Firewire card in my PC and it works fine, but you would need to know exactly which chipset is on your card before installation. I agree with the advice to use a router or ethernet modem. www.ebuyer.com/ has a rather good one for about £22.
Thanks for the replies. My OS is win 98 not SE or ME and is the first in this series. It is plug and play and did in fact locate the PCI to USB card and installed it.
It shows up in Control panel as PCI universal serial bus but with no driver. At the same time time it also placed Ali PCI to USB open host controller and also USB root hub in the system both with Ali drivers which windows must have supplied itself.
However the one marked PCI universal bus is the one marked as having the problem.
Not knowing the make of the card other than it had a chip marked Ali on it makes it difficult to locate a driver.
Tried dozens yesterday and each time windows warned that this is not the driver for this device and advised not to load it.
PCI to USB card install problem - Baskerville
Is it on here?

list.driverguide.com/list/company57/
PCI to USB card install problem - Phil I
Thanks for this link Chris. Useful site for all drivers.(non-motoring type:-)

Happy Motoring Phil I
PCI to USB card install problem - billy25
hi alvin,
came across this, dont know if its any help to you,
(bah..cant do links)
so, google under microsoft 158906, 2nd site down( buds windows troubles) look for article 158906.

billy

p.s
if you go to windows98 support centre, there`s tons of useful articles and fault finders available.
PCI to USB card install problem - Dalglish
billy 25

re:
bah..cant do links

>>

dynamic dave has provided a lesson on links at

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=3&t=11...7
Chris, have been to this site and downloaded a driver which appeared to be the nearest one applicable. It downloads it to windows system but havent been able to install it yet as there isnt an install option with it.
Billy have just looked at this. It means going into the bios to alter settings which I had already done earlier today.
Unfortunately it crashed my computer and I finished up having to reinstall windows and Norton.
left me a little gun shy about tinkering again with the bios but will no doubt regain my courage in a few hours.
Will study your link in detail.
alvin
I would suggest if a prob with install ie no drivers take it back..I gather from post I made before the webb site did explain a problem with this card or one similar.it also tells you how to cure it.Bios settings will make a difference in that if the bios is not configured correctly it wont work.but unless you know what you are doing or are guided through this leave alone.
PCI to USB card install problem - Mark (RLBS)
Go to device drivers (control planel, system, hardware, device drivers - from memory, so maybe not exactly correct), Then choose the device, choose a new driver, point it at tne new file, and away you go - maybe.
Soket de trois Trojan - No Do$h
Is this the single most persistent Trojan Horse on the internet? I'm getting more than 60 hits an hour on my firewall.

Anyone else finding their firewall/antivirus lit up like a christmas tree right now?
Soket de trois Trojan - Dynamic Dave
Is this the single most persistent Trojan Horse on the internet?

No Idea. I just let my firewall (Zone Alarm) get on with it in the background.

Soket de trois Trojan - IanT
I've spent some time looking up "Soket de Trois" in Google. There's lots of opinion out there (mostly recycled) but little evidence-based fact. My reading of the situation is:

1. Soket has been around many years.
2. The Norton (Symantec) web site says there has been at most 2 sites infected by it worldwide!!
3. There is just the occasional mention of it in Google dated before May 2004.
4. A flood of complaints about it started in May 2004 - all by users of Norton Internet Security. And, where mentioned, all by users who have just "Live-Updated" their systems.
5. A friend uses Norton and has started getting the Soket warnings.
6. I use Zone Alarm and don't get any warnings (because I've set it not to display warnings).
7. Zone Alarm doesn't give names to hacker attacks, but the ZA logs show steady activity throughout May, with a pattern consistent with what other people report for Soket.

8. BUT there has been absolutely zero activity in Zone Alarm of any sort since May 25th.

Conclusion:
Set Norton to not display Soket warnings (I think you get an option to do this on the same screen as the Soket warning).

And then forget about it.
Ian
1 item remaining - harry m
think something similar on last computer volume.on opening a thread in discussion i get 90% of the time 1 item remaining it says opening page http//honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/indexhtm?f=2&t=then obscured by green bars,same on technical only 4&t.any ideas only started the last couple of days only on this forum.not the end of the world just very annoying thanks harrym sorry it never opens
1 item remaining - L'escargot
think something similar on last computer volume.on opening a thread in
discussion i get 90% of the time 1 item remaining it
says opening page http//honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/indexhtm?f=2&t=then obscured by green bars,same on technical only
4&t.any ideas only started the last couple of days only on
this forum.not the end of the world just very annoying thanks
harrym sorry it never opens

I get this as well. It doesn't seem to prevent me from doing what I want to do, so I just ignore it.
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Fax Software. - THe Growler
Can\'t find any fax software that will work with DSL. using W98SE.
Any ideas? Only ones I can find are for dial-up.
Fax Software. - Baskerville
I use DSL for Internet and I\'ve kept my old fax/modem attached to the phone line for the sole purpose of dialling fax numbers. Resurrect your old modem and plug it in.
Fax Software. - THe Growler
I don\'t have a modem I\'m afraid. I also realised you have to leave your machine switched on all the time for inbound faxes. Aw, hell I\'ll just buy another cheap Brother fax machine to replace my clapped out one. They do photocopies too. Thanks anyway : )
Fax Software. - billy25
hi growler,
take a look here...www.dslreports.com/faq/136
Apparently you cant fax over DSL???
Fax Software. - smokie
What you might be able to do is sign up for a 3rd party fax service which would link to you email client. I had a product from www.yac.com (but there are probably others) which gave me a single phone number for voice, fax etc. Just checked their page, looks like £30 subscription, and incoming callers call you on a premium rate number. Not sure 1) what outbound faxes cost or 2) whether you would access to a similar service where you are.
Fax Software. - frostbite
Cheapest option would be to locate a modem on eBay/ebid - you only need 14.4k for fax, so a 28.8 for pennies will do fine, a 56 will also stand in as reserve in case your b/b modem keels over.
Windows Millennium - Cardew
I run Windows Millennium(ME) on BT Broadband.

I looked at a couple of official notices about recent viruses and ME was not affected. I have been told that ME is less susceptible to viruses etc than other OS. This is because relatively few PCs use this OS compared to Win 98 which Preceded it and Win 2000 and XP that followed it; and the naughty person who writes the virus codes can\'t be bothered with another version.

Is the above Urban Myth?
Windows Millennium - Civic8
As far as I`m aware yes.ME is or was a stopgap between 98 and XP
although a bit more advanced than 98 it can still be affected would suggest keeping up a descent firewall assuming you use one.and keeping any anti virus up to date.ME is not exempt from viruses.
Windows Millennium - Welliesorter
Windows ME is so closely related to Windows 98 that I can't imagine it being any less susceptible to viruses. It wouldn't be necessary for a virus writer to create a separate version for it.

Windows ME is so closely related to Windows 98 that I
can't imagine it being any less susceptible to viruses. It wouldn't
be necessary for a virus writer to create a separate version
for it.

That is what I would have thought. However the notices on a couple of recent viruses gave detail of the OS affected and did not include ME.
don`t think you are exempt in any way shape or form.if they want to mess you up they will.I made my point before.its up to you.??
Windows Millennium - Altea Ego
Any virus written to exploit 98 will affect ME. Take it as a given and you wont be hurt.
don`t think you are exempt in any way shape or form.if
they want to mess you up they will.I made my point
before.its up to you.??

Mech1,
Thank you for your advice.

I appreciate the dangers of viruses and I do take precautions which is why I examine the technical notices from Microsoft and other agencies.

I was simply asking if anyone knew if the statement that ME was less susceptible(not immune) to viruses was based on fact.

C
Windows Millennium - Altea Ego
It is possible to write a specific virus for 98 and not ME and vice versa.

The majority of the holes exploited in 98 are scripts or TCPIP stack.
AS this has to be standard for comms and applications to work across 98 and ME then both are equally at risk.

This is why most viruses infect 98/ME/2000 & XP.
... However the notices on
a couple of recent viruses gave detail of the OS affected
and did not include ME.

Maybe an oversight? As others have said, it was only ever a stop-gap version. It was basically Windows 98 with a few updates and DOS hidden more carefully. There was only a short period between its launch and that of Windows XP.

Maybe an oversight? As others have said, it was only ever
a stop-gap version. It was basically Windows 98 with a few
updates and DOS hidden more carefully. There was only a short
period between its launch and that of Windows XP.

From what you and RF have said it seems that ME is probably just as susceptible.

Just a point - Windows 2000 was produced for a good while after Windows ME ceased and before XP was launched
Windows Millennium - smokie
Hi Cardew

Re your just a point - Microsoft's "problem" is that large corporates have commited to a particular OS and the time and effort involved in migrating to a later version is considerable, so M$ have to continue to support earlier operating systems in order to keep them happy.
Windows 2000 replaced Windows NT4, and actually pre-dated ME.

Until XP came along there were two completely separate versions of Windows:
  • Windows 3.11 - 95 - 98 - ME - a pretty front end for MSDOS and more likely to be used by home users.
  • Windows NT 3.51, NT 4.0, 2000 - not based on DOS and more likely to be used by corporate users.
All these were replaced by Windows XP but this was really an update of the NT/2000 line.

ME was the end of the line: it wasn't updated. To replicate the old split between the earlier versions, a Home and Professional version of XP were introduced. However, these aren't two different OSes. Home is just Professional with some features stripped out.

There's a website showing a Windows timeline in nauseating detail at www.levenez.com/windows . It's certainly helping me with my insomnia...
Welliesorter,
Thanks for the information. I certainly hadn't appreciated that Win 2000 pre-dated Win ME.

For some reason many of the main manufactures of home use PCs stopped using ME and started loading 2000 quite a while before XP was launched.

May I ask a further question. Daughter has just acquired a laptop from work with XP Professional pre-loaded. She has the unused discs for this OS and the Certificate of Authenticity. As she uses the family desktop quite a bit I was considering upgrading it from ME to XP using those discs.

Are there any problems in carrying out this upgrading? The PC is a Pentium 3 - 800 with 128mb RAM
C
Cardew.as far as I`m aware its a reload disc your talking about ugrading yours with.I doubt it will work as the disc will only have drivers and software for the laptop.plus it will when inserted check your pc and if no components found that it recognises.will refuse to load.I could be wrong but have tried it myself and it refused
Windows Millennium - Baskerville
Windows ME is generally considered to have been a disaster, both from the point of view of its reliability and its sales. My own experience with Win ME was absolutely ghastly and is the main reason I no longer use any Microsoft products unless I have no choice, usually on other people's computers. Having said that, Windows XP does seem much more reliable from what I've heard. Your computer should be able to handle XP quite well for things like Internet, email, and wordprocessing, though it will struggle with games. It would definitely be worth getting another 128mb of RAM. However you will not be able to install XP from the laptop disks as (apart from that being illegal) they will be set up to load only on that exact machine. Even if you could, you have to register XP with MS so they'd know. If you're fed up and want a windows-like alternative, try Xandros Linux www.xandros.com. For $90 it will even run MS Office and several other Windows programs. Xandros takes about an hour to install and will partition the harddisk for you so you can keep Windows on there. You could download Mandrake Linux www.mandrakelinux.com for free.
Windows Millennium - Robin Reliant
Chris,

You seem to be in the vast majority in slating ME, but I had it for about two years and regret getting rid of that particular PC.

I never had any bother with the OS at all and found it miles better than XP. Perhaps I was just lucky, but I would be interested to hear why others regarded ME as a poor system.
Windows Millennium - Baskerville
Perhaps I was just lucky,
but I would be interested to hear why others regarded ME
as a poor system.

As with all OSs performance will vary depending on the hardware you have. For me, running it on a laptop, ME was a complete nightmare. It hung roughly every hour and caused data loss when it did. The only way to avoid it was to preempt the hang with a reboot. Given this was a machine that worked for its living a reboot every 50 minutes or so was not acceptable. As I say ME may have been more stable on different hardware.
Windows Millennium - Kuang
..I would be interested to hear why others regarded ME as a poor system.

At one point I was getting one callout a week to remove ME from people's PCs and stick 98SE back on. The main problem (for me, at least) was that it had the mother of all memory leaks and would frequently thrash the harddrive as the swapfile usage became silly. It suffered from a few massive instability problems with fairly common devices as well, not to mention extremely poor performance for many gamers. There were quite a few cases of it corrupting vast areas of the harddrive, but I never managed to identify why this happened.
I can think of two potential areas of problem.

1) If the disks are stamped with the computer manufacturers name, it will almost definitely only load on the brand of system. (e.g. Dell XP disks look for a Dell bios otherwise they won't load).

2) And of course the license key. I guess that's what the Cert of Auth is? Companies may use cloning software to produce many identical systems for corporate use, and depending on their licence agreement with M$ they may use the Corporate Edition, which effectively allows multiple use of the same license. This may mean that your license would be valid. However, if the license (code) has been used in installation of the machine, and you re-use it on another machine, once you connect to the internet it will find that it has already been installed on another system (witha different hardware configuration) and you will not be able to register the operating system (and I believe it will eventually stop running, in some form).

If you are at all handy with PCs, buy yourself a new BIG hard disk (80gb are around £50 now!), put it in your computer as C drive, move your old disk to D drive and do a clean install of XP onto it. Ensure you get all the M$ updates and critical patches BEFORE you do anything else (if you have time, before being hit by Sasser or it's friends!). It will ask to to register with M$ - try it and see what happens. If it works, you can easily reinstall all your other software onto it then move your docs etc from the D drive - later using that as a place to backup you important stuff. I believe strongly that a new OS is an opportunity to have a fresh start!
Xp has to be activated by M$ either by phone or through the internet.and just by installing you are bound by licencing terms and conditions which I think means a licencing fee would need to be paid in order to get it activated.bearing in mind changing hard drive wont make any difference to whether the os will install.Due to checking operation of XP before install.correct me if wrong?
IIRC I installed XP Pro (legit version) on a new drive. During install I had to enter the code which was with the CD. So without that you won't get it installed.

However, registration is slightly different and, again IIRC, I could use the OS for a limited time without registering it (although I may be thinking of XP Office here).

However again, if the laptop was installed from a corporate image, chances are that they will have used their corporate license rather than that with the CD (if it is there) so (if it is there) it should be a valid and unregistered code.

M$ checks for and disallows duplicate registrations using the same code.

And I suppose in theory, although the code may not have been registered, the software/code could be considered unauthorised.

I didn't mean to suggest that adding a hard drive would make the install work any differently. The idea of that was to 1) make sure that it installs OK, and can be registered, without destroying data or OS on existing hard drive and 2) provide a "clean install". Keeping the old disk in the system as D drive means that once you are ready you can transfer all documents etc easily.
Thanks for all your advice. I would experiment with linux if it were not for the fact that SWMO and daughter use the PC. Despite both having a Masters degree, if there is the slightest change in what appears on screen when they switch on, they are up in arms. They still haven't forgiven me for changing from Win 3.1!!

I kicked of this subject because I had been told that ME was less susceptible to viruses than 98/2000/XP; seemingly this is not so. I contemplated upgrading to XP Pro simply because it is a newer system.

It has been assumed that I am unhappy with ME which is not really so and I don't think my posts have implied this. I bought 3 Gateway PC's in August 2000 - all with ME. They were available on an amazing(legal) deal. My son has one, another is at my home, and the third where I lived during week. The one that gets the most use sometimes 'hangs' particularly during shut-down. M$ recognise it is a problem with ME but their fix hasn't totally solved it. I get round it by disconnecting BT Broadband before shutting down.

The other 2 machines have never had a problem other than occasionally hanging; one is on BT Broadband and the other dial up.

In my place in Florida(where I am off tomorrow) I have a new PC(2.6ghz, 256mb RAM) with XP Home as the OS and that occasionally hangs. I have never used a PC that didn't.

C

Compaq Presario 7471 restore disk - Hugo {P}
Hi

I wonder if anyone can help.

I have one of these desktop machines, not the one I'm connected to the internet on. I am trying to find a set of restore or system disks for it.

I have had the machine from new but lost the disks when we moved. This has not been a problem until now when the children are at my ankles because they cannot play the Sims!

I have contacted HP (who now own compaq) who say I have to buy a replacement. Problem is I am tight and do not want to do this.

Does anyone know of a good 2nd hand accessory shop that may have a library of these that I could buy off, or does anyone have a busted machine that they still have the disks for?

Thanks in advance

Hugo
Compaq Presario 7471 restore disk - Altea Ego
Hugo

what was it pre loaded with and whats wrong with it?

To get it working you can load a new OS on it, and load the required drivers from here

h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=9...0

(if it was 98 - there is another page for the other os drivers.)

Compaq Presario 7471 restore disk - Citroënian {P}
Should think you'll find an O/S disk (not specifically for the 7471) on eBay and with the drivers link above, off you go.

--
Lee
MINI adventure in progress
Compaq Presario 7471 restore disk - Hugo {P}
Thanks both Cit anf RF.

The main problem is that it starts to check the disk for errors each time it is switched on, even though it is shut down properly.

I have a copy of win 98, but there is a 2nd ed on the PC and I can't over install it using the disk as the disk is an earlier edition.

Thanks

H
Compaq Presario 7471 restore disk - Civic8
Do you have a floppy disc so you can reformat the disc.from what you say you have a partitioned disc ie split into 2 can you get it into windows safe mode you may be able to get a startup floppy disc from there?
Compaq Presario 7471 restore disk - IanT
Search www.ebay.co.uk for "Presario Restore" - Worldwide.

The one that comes up says you will need to have your own separate licensed copy of Windows to do a complete reformat and reinstall. Either use the Windows CD from your other PC, or get another one from ebay.

For instance, Windows 98SE is readily available - seach for "Windows 98SE" - ignore all the special utility disks, and make sure you get the genuine full version (not the update version).

Ian

Compaq Presario 7471 restore disk - smokie
Hang on a minute, this is 21st century tech support - "reload the system"

That usually has all kinds of unwanted side effects. My approach is to try to fix problems, when that has failed then reload it.

If your only problem is that it is running checkdisk when it starts up, fix that first.

Start up in safe mode and let the checkdisk run. It may restart a number of times - for hours an hours - but usually it will cmplete eventually. It takes a lot of patience.

Once that has finished and failed, THEN see what else might be wrong and try to fix that. If you cannot fix it, THEN reload.

Compaq Presario 7471 restore disk - Altea Ego
It is often a very good idea to reload your o/s after a period of time. Windows 95/Me/98 gets choked with crud, 2k/XP less so but still suffers after a period of time. A reload is like a new engine at times.
>>That usually has all kinds of unwanted side effects. My approach is to try to fix problems, when that has failed then reload it.
In the time it has been running you can reload and be back up and running better than you was before.I think if a problem cannot be sorted in a short time reload is best option.I`ve done it often enough.
Compaq Presario 7471 restore disk - smokie
I am not anti reloads, in fact I recently promoted them in an answer to Cardew. But is you have a lot of stuff installed, and a lot of personal files and settings, unless you have all the original media, passwords and know what you are doing with settings, it can be more than just a few minutes work. Just updating the M$ patches over non-broadband would take an age these days!

All I was really trying to say is the instinct these days is to not bother trying to fix a minor problem, it is to reload. Even on my corporate laptop they wanted to reload just because the modem had stopped working. It was pretty obvious it was a hardware fault, and it was a serious inconvenience to me to lose settings etc, and I ike to think I know what I'm doing. I guess it's ignorance, laziness or a combination of the two.
I dissagree but see what you are saying.if you have the backup then do it if not try to save what you have.unfortunatly as I found out on many occasion it dont work.I have spent many an hour trying to sort out a problem on ME.and have no doubt others have as well.ME has always been unstable whatever you do win 98 I didnt even try so no comment there.I started on windoz 95 and am self taught any probs I sort out myself.a point you made about XP it has to be activated registering is entirely different it only registers you for any problems that need to be answered from tech/support.
Compaq Presario 7471 restore disk - malteser
I agree with you, mech1 - ME as an OS was extremely unstable and produced lots of "blue screen of death" occasions!
I quite like fiddling with our PC and I get really bored waiting for XP to misbehave so I can play around with it!
That's probably why I have 7 browsers, four email clients, and all the spyware destroyers you can think of, installed. SWMBO gets really cross when I change the default browser & email clients around just for the hell of it:)
Roger in Spain
Prevent software downloading - Win98 - Chicken Madras
Does anyone know of a way to prevent users downloading software on a Windows 98 machine? I know there\'s a setting within Internet Explorer\'s options to prevent this, but it\'s easily overridden if you know what you\'re doing (the error message basically tells you what to do!).

I\'d be obliged for any advice as I\'m rebuilding SWMBO\'s son\'s PC for the fourth time now after he has downloaded some undesirable files and screwed it up. He has been warned before about this, but I think that if there\'s no way of doing it in Windows, I may have to invest in a length of 4\" x 2\" !!
Prevent software downloading - Win98 - DavidHM
Consider getting an upgrade to XP and giving him a limited account (parts for a useable machine should be a little over £200, plus the software if the existing one won\'t handle it).

Alternatively you could invest in some filtering software that blocks access to sites that you consider undesirable, e.g., porn, but there\'s no reason why you couldn\'t extend that to spyware and the like, especially if it\'s a particular program that\'s causing the problem.

(If you have a broadband network then blocking the ports that file sharing programs use, and password protecting the router, may provide another level of defence).
Many thanks for the advice DavidHM. Deep down I didn\'t think there was going to be a solution without spending some money! His PC is getting on a bit (333Mhz, 256MB RAM) but it is enough for doing his school homework with... when he\'s not downloading software his friends have \"recommended\". When will children realise that there\'s no such thing as a free lunch..?! (I clocked over 150 items of spyware the last time I scanned it).

Anyway I digress. I\'ll have a look for some filtering software as per your recommendation first before splashing out. Sooner or later we\'ll have to upgrade his PC but I think his pocket money will be coming direct to me in \"repair fees\" for a while to come!

Thanks again and all the best
Prevent software downloading - Win98 - Dalglish
chicken madras

try zonealarm with web filtering.

it has a password facility.
Thanks Dalglish - I\'ll give it a go. I\'ve put zonealarm on his PC now as I\'ve got the hump with Norton products.
Prevent software downloading - Win98 - Dalglish
chicken madras

there is also a basic web filter built in within internet explorer.

go to tools, internet-options, content, enable content-advisor,

then

use approved-sites tab to set those you want to block/allow
and
use the general tab to set your \"supervisor\" password.

Fantastic! Thanks for that Dalglish - this is definitely worth investigating.
Dalglish - please accept a bottle of virtual Tattinger with my compliments and thanks.

Following your advice I've enabled content filtering and set an administrator password which only I and SWMBO know. There are only a few pages which can be accessed now (bbc.co.uk, tesco.net (default page) and Google.co.uk). If anyone tries to access another page, they are prompted to enter the admin password. This is PERFECT! I'm feeling confident that this will be the last time I have to rebuild his PC due to net misuse...!

Prevent software downloading - Win98 - Cardew
Does it stop him from entering an unsuitable site via links in Google?
Yes! Unless we've explicitly allowed him to visit a site, a prompt box comes up asking for the supervisor password to continue. We've let him loose on all the "Final Fantasy" and "Let's download some free games and lots of spyware/viruses" sites via Google and it has been a 100% success.

Musicmatch Jukebox - BobbyG
For years I have used Musicmatch Jukebox, having subscribed to their "Plus" service. I am not sure exactly what version I was using but when I went into it yesterday for the first time in a while, it updated to version 8.0.

Now, when I am copying from an audio cd to my computer it takes ages, ie. I have just copied a standard CD and it took an hour whereas it previously only took 10-15 mins. I have checked in all the various settings options and really can't find anything to increase the speed.

Anyone any ideas? All other aspects of my actual computer are unchanged.
Musicmatch Jukebox - Citroënian {P}
IIRC Musicmatch throttle (i.e. reduce the speed) of music copied in unregistered copies of its software, perhaps it needs to be registered again.

HTH,
Lee.

--
Lee
MINI adventure in progress
Musicmatch Jukebox - billy25
bobbyG,
is this for copying off the net, or copying a CD that you have to your p.c?
Musicmatch Jukebox - BobbyG
Billy, this is copying my audio CDs (originals) to my computer.
Musicmatch Jukebox - Welliesorter
I haven't used Musicmatch for a while because I was too tight to pay for the full version.

There's plenty of software that'll do the same thing for free. Try CDex from cdexos.sourceforge.net/

Musicmatch Jukebox - billy25
sorry bobbyG,
as i don't know this program,i can't help, but check that you aren't saving the tracks as .wav files by default as opposed to mp3, as that could explain the longer copying times, it may have reverted to .wav during the upgrade. Also just check that you haven't a cd ripper attached to your sound card software, quite alot have, and you may find it quicker to use that than musicmatch.

billy.
Trivial computer related question - L'escargot
Does a computer have a longer life if it is left on all day rather than being switched on and off as required?

At the moment I use my computer 5 or 6 times a day, and I switch it off after every session. The amount of electricity used is not an issue, but as it is my home computer the potential fire hazard of leaving a computer unattended is relevant.
--
Trivial computer related question - frostbite
There is a certain amount of thermal wear & tear by switching on and off as you describe, plus the extra hd wear that results from all that booting up.

If your monitor goes to standby after inactivity, I would suggest you leave it on until the final planned daily use - doesn't sound like 24/7 powerup is justified in your case.
Trivial computer related question - L'escargot
There is a certain amount of thermal wear & tear by
switching on and off as you describe, plus the extra hd
wear that results from all that booting up.
If your monitor goes to standby after inactivity, I would suggest
you leave it on until the final planned daily use -
doesn't sound like 24/7 powerup is justified in your case.

I've tried putting my computer onto Standby instead of switching it off and I find it works OK at my current abode. I gave up putting it onto Standby at my previous address because I found that it woke up every time I went anywhere near it, and it became a habit to not use that method even after I moved house. Perhaps the floors at my former abode were too springy, and the computer thought I had moved the mouse.

--
Trivial computer related question - Baskerville
I'd leave it on all day and just switch off at night. The fire risk from the computer is very slight; it's monitors you have to watch out for, so just switch that off if you're worried. The ancient scrounged computer I use as a file server, which lives in the loft, has been running solid without even a reboot since Easter.
Trivial computer related question - Stuartli
It's generally considered best to leave your system on standby if not in use until the end of the day (i.e. PowerSaving features) than constantly switching it on and off - servers, for instance, are on permanently.

However, I have a system (the mobo is now five years old) which has been turned on and off many thousands of times during that period and everything, including the micro on-off switch, still operates as smoothly as on the first day.
BT and Broadband. - Pugugly {P}
Any truth in the alleged myth that dial up speeds slow down when Broadband is about to be be launched in a particular area.
BT and Broadband. - Welliesorter
Any truth in the alleged myth that dial up speeds slow
down when Broadband is about to be be launched in a
particular area.

How would they do that? BT is a heavily regulated business and the regulator would come down on them like a ton of bricks, even if it were possible. BT also uses a huge number of temporary agency staff who really couldn't be relied on to keep a scam like that to themselves.

BT and Broadband. - Kuang
Surprisingly my previously fine Freeserve dialup has suffered immensely since Wanadoo took over. I've wondered if this is to do with their push towards broadband...
BT and Broadband. - Welliesorter
Surprisingly my previously fine Freeserve dialup has suffered immensely since Wanadoo
took over.

Wanadoo (France Telecom) actually bought Freeserve several years ago. It's only recently that they changed the name.

BT and Broadband. - Adam {P}
Funny this should come up. For years, we were with a Dial Up ISP who were owned by Telewest and ended in ...yonder. (I wont' compromise the site by giving the name" Anyway, for 2 years it was faultless. Always connecting first time, reliable connection etc etc. Then we start getting people knocking asking if we want broadband and letters through the door etc etc. From then on, the service went downhill to the point were I would be lucky to hold a connection for more than 2 minutes. Needless to say we were angry so we rang up and got told, I tell you no lie, "well, Broadband is the way of the future now sir" Needless to say we not only ditched the ISP but got rid of the Telewest phone lines.

Coincidence?

Firewall. Large number of attacks - THe Growler
I think it was ND who mentioned recently his firewall was repelling an unusually large number of attacks. The last 2-3 days mine is getting attacked every 8-10 secondss via (from a rough count on the log) about the same 10 sites.

I am using the PC-Cillin 2002 firewall that came with the PC.

What gives out there I wonder?
Firewall. Large number of attacks - No Do$h
It seems that a trojan by the name of Sokets de Trois is ripping across the globe. VERY persistent if dumb trojan.