Computer Related questions Volume 15 - No Do$h

******** Thread now full, see volume 16 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=23045

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 15. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

Colour balance - budu
In moving and re-connecting my computer, I have upset the colour balance. Items scanned come out paler than the original. I have tried re-installing Windows, the Epson printer and the HP scanner, to no effect. Microsoft, HP and Epson online "help" offers no solution. Can anyone assist please?
Colour balance - Mark (RLBS)
Have you checked the scanner settings ?

Open up your scanner software and look under properties or similar.
Colour balance - Civic8
If of the cold cathode type.it may be the cathode.if scanner moved can cause them to move or dislodge on end contacts.had same problem on an epson scanner after moving.was told a new scanner as cheap as getting repaired.unless yours is warranted?
Colour balance - Kuang
Paler on-screen or paler when you print them? The former could be down to both the suggestions already made or even the brightness on the monitor if the control was moved during the relocation (as I demonstrated to a friend recently - the contrast difference can be amazing!). If it's paler when printing, make sure you're not using colour management in the printer settings as this attempts to match the known profile for your monitor which can frequently be inaccurate.
Colour balance - budu
Thanks for this and other messages. The print is paler. I fear there is no reponse to "colour management" in the Epson (printer), Hewlett Packard (scanner) or Windows help facilities, whether built-in or online - even after re-installoing all three sets of software. Any further hints gratefully tried out.
Colour balance - Altea Ego
As described by Mech1, if its the type with a long neon tube in it (cold cathode) that moves along, its been knocked out of alignment screwing up the optical path. If you are handy with a screw driver you could try taking it aprt to see if its fixable.
Colour balance - budu
If it had been knocked out of alignemnt, wouldn't this affect the desktop etc. colours? They are in fact quite normal.
Sending photos via email - Jane
Hello computer minded folk!

What is the best image size, etc to use in order to send a photo via email that retains fairly good quality without taking up loads of disc space or hours to download? At the moment I'm changing the image size to 6in x 4in (standard 35mm size) but am not sure what I should save it as (eg JPEG/PSD/TIFF).

Thanks in advance!

ps. just looked at the preview of my post and it's come up with this at the top:

Warning: Compilation failed: nothing to repeat at offset 5 in /home/www/honestjohn.co.uk/html/scripts/forum/post/fPost.php on line 40

Eh?
--
If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished
Sending photos via email - Altea Ego
I usually find that 640x480 jpeg (.jpg) is ok. Comes out at about 100kb so fairly easy to send.
Sending photos via email - Stuartli
If you have XP, right click on your picture file and select Mail Recipient.

Windows will (should) then give you the option to send Large, Medium or Small pix files - the smallest size will be as low as around 20-25kb. Quality is still file for monitor viewing.

Alternatively, download Irfanview (a superb utility) which can be used to resize pix files (don't forget the plug-ins as well!), or PIXResizer from www.bluefive.pair.com - both can do batch as well as individual files and are freeware.
Sending photos via email - smokie
"If you have XP, right click on your picture file and select Mail Recipient." Won't this only work with a Windows based mail client? i.e. not Hotmail etc...
Sending photos via email - Stuartli
I don't use HotMail but did find this advice:

From the Compose window, press "Attachments."
In the Attachments window, click the "Browse" button.
The "File Upload" dialog box will open.
Select the file that you want to attach from your computer.
Press the "Open" button.
The file will appear in the "Attach File" field.
Press the "Attach to Message" button. The filename and size appear in the "Message Attachments" box.
Repeat steps 2 and 3 to attach as many files as you want.
Press the "Done" button when you are finished.
You will be taken back to the Compose page. You should see the name of the file(s) that you have attached just above the message window.
Sending photos via email - Welliesorter
I'd second the suggestion to use Irfanview which I can't recommend highly enough.

If you use Windows XP there's an even simpler solution: the image resizer available from www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/downloads/powerto...p

You can then select one of several standard sizes by right clicking on the image. Doing so will create a smaller copy of the picture.

Jpeg is the best format for e-mailing but if the pictures are in a different format, keep the originals as these will be of higher quality.
Sending photos via email - malteser
Re-size your photos so that the greater of the height or width is no more than 450 pixels.
This gives a reasonable compromise between file size & quality. Save your photos as .jpg or jpeg files, whichever your photo editor defaults to.
Roger in Spain
Sending photos via email - Jane
Thanks everyone...will give suggestions a go!

--
If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished
Sending photos via email - THe Growler
Irfanviewer definitely. Junk every other overweight overfeatured over complex graphics programe you've got and use that. Wouldn't touch anything else. Its "sharpen" feature is also a boon if you scan and send pics you took with a cheap camera.
Best Photo editing suite... - Pugugly {P}
Need a better one than the bog standard odak one that came woth the camera. Any suggestions ?
Best Photo editing suite... - smokie
I've used Paintshop Pro for many years and have been pleased, but there are probably better ones out there now...
Best Photo editing suite... - billy25
"picture-it" photo and print studio is also quite versatile, quite a big program, comes on five CD's.

billy.
Best Photo editing suite... - Baskerville
You could try The Gimp, which is an open source (free to download) image editing suite similar to Photoshop. It's built for Linux but the Windows version is here:

www.gimp.org/windows/

Another alternative is the image editing suite that comes with OpenOffice.org and StarOffice. Downloadable free at www.openoffice.org

The latter is the one I use as The Gimp is just too feature-laden for me.

Enjoy.
Best Photo editing suite... - Baskerville
I should have added that modified, custom versions of The Gimp are used in Hollywood to make animated movies such as the Scooby Doo films. It's pretty powerful.
Best Photo editing suite... - Kuang
If you want a nice slick simple editing package with a remarkable amount of power 'behind the scenes' consider Photoshop Elements. It allows you to quickly and easily do routine jobs (resizing, colour corrections, cropping, etc) but also has the ability to throw some snazzy special effects around and allow genuine creativity. The interface is geared towards getting the job done rather than being overly technical, and it provides a good foundation in case you want to get into Photoshop later. It's not quite as cheap as some of the alternatives, but it's well worth it.
Best Photo editing suite... - Stuartli
Most photo editing programs will do pretty much what you require - magazine cover disks often include them or you can download one from Tucows etc.

Serif is also keen to give away the earlier or previous version of its digital imaging software and you may well have had offers by post.
Best Photo editing suite... - Pugugly {P}
Thanks for the advice,I got paint shop pro....
Update on PCI to USB - wemyss
In volume 14 I asked for advice on how to get the recently installed PCI to USB card to work and got many useful ideas. To bring this up to date
There was no driver with the card and no maker?s name on the box.
Little help from the shop apart from it needs a driver installing which I was well aware of.
No Win 98 update available and after trying different card manufacturers drivers my Windows crashed and eventually had to reinstall. Many hours later when I had this up and running I took the card out and found a small chip with the name Ali and a 4 digit number.
I went to the Ali site and found they were a chip manufacturers for others to use in their products. They also did driver downloads and I located the one on my card. It gave four different optional drivers and chose one to download and install. This worked and it then showed up in system/devices.
To ensure it was working I bought a USB cable and changed my Epson printer to USB and it worked OK.
I now presume it will be OK to change to broadband in the future and the modem will operate.
My reinstall of windows wasn?t a good clean one and several programmes had to be reloaded including Windows explorer.
Since this I have a little problem with the main discussion page on this site which now is a bit unstable. When I move the mouse cursor over this page the whole lot shivers and is flashing. Funnily enough this doesn?t seem to occur much on other web sites. Have checked mouse settings etc. Any ideas??
Update on PCI to USB - Citroënian {P}
Hi Alvin,

Well done on finding the drivers for the PCI card. It's a bit concerning that you write "...reinstall of windows wasn't a good clean one..." If it's not right to start with you may end up chasing your tail sorting problems. If your PC (or budget) is up to it, XP Pro is on a different planet for drivers and compatibility. Most things turn up and work correctly from a simple install.

My guess for the main page shivering and flashing would be something to do with video - if you've got a PCI video card it may be conflicting with the PCI-USB or there may just be a driver conflict with the Ali and video drivers. 98 (& 95 & Me & NT) can be troublesome to troubleshoot

Best of luck,
Lee.

--
Lee
MINI adventure in progress
Update on PCI to USB - Citroënian {P}
Just read the above again - you can tell I work in I.T. - "Oh yes, it's unwell. Better buy yourself a new one now."

Sorry!

--
Lee
MINI adventure in progress
Presario problem (vol 14) - Hugo {P}
Just a note to thank everyone for their replies to my original question.

I think I will try to get a copy of Win 98 secind edition and load that.

Thanks again

H
Excel s/sheet in word document - Mapmaker
I have a Word document with two embedded Excel spreadsheets.

When somebody else prints, one comes out with grid lines, the other doesn't. (On my computer, neither comes out with grid lines - which is what I want.)

Help....! Thanks
Excel s/sheet in word document - Mark (RLBS)
From Excel tools/options/view/window options/gridlines
Thanks Mark, but the problem is in printing - rather than when being viewed. (I've tried it, and it doesn't work.)

Any other ideas?
Turning the gridlines to white appears to have worked though!
Excel s/sheet in word document - NVH
Other alternatives:
File>Page setup>Sheet ->>check box gridlines
and
Format Cells>Border...
Nero Problem - SpamCan61 {P}
Calling all Nero users...

I\'ve recently bought a new PC which came bundled with the latest \'nero\' v6 CD / DVD burning software . My main usage of this software is for drag & drop file transfer - my old machine uses Adaptec DirectCD which does the job fine.

However using the nero \'InCD\' equivalent on my new machine is mind blowingly slow - about 20 mins. to drag & drop about 200M of data from my hard drive to the disk in the burner - which is the all singing all dancing Pioneer 107D. That transfer would take 5 mins max on the old machine.

So is this normal behaviour for Nero? Burning audio CDs is 100% OK( 4 mins. max) and burning data to DVDs works fine. Just the packet writing stuff that is a complete PITA :-/
Nero Problem - Civic8
I did try it but found it too slow.Adaptec is faster but isnt adaptec anymore.recently found WMP 9 works well and copies faster than Adaptec did.it also writes data discs as well any files including MP3`s which I use a lot.it also wipes cdrw faster as well.
Nero Problem - SpamCan61 {P}
Okey dokey I'll give wmp9 a go; although I haven't played with it enough to see if it can do drag & drop copying as well as 'normal' data disks
Printer Problem - Epson Colour 680 - BobbyG
I cannot print. My PC tells me that there is an internal error with my printer and to call an engineer. Ink levels are ok. It is not even letting me do nozzle checks etc.

When the ink cartridges "park" they do so at the far end of the printer so I cannot even take the cartridges out as they are unaccessible there. When I press the button to bring them to the middle to get changed nothing happens.

What can go wrong with a printer? Is there anything I can do or are these effectively "disposable" in today's society?
Printer Problem - Epson Colour 680 - Civic8
What can go wrong with a printer? Is there anything I can do or are these effectively "disposable" in today's society?

lots really.would think its a sofware prob.would you mind stating what printer it is.cant really answer till we know.many an answer if facts known>?
Mech, as per the header, Epson Colour 680!
Its an inkjet type printer. Any help appreciated.
Printer Problem - Epson Colour 680 - DavidHM
Try installing it on another computer, with fresh software downloaded from the internet and burned onto CD. If that works then you know it's a software problem. If it doesn't then it's almost certainly the printer itself that's at fault.

If that doesn't work, it's hard to see what can be done. The equivalent printer, the C64, is about £50 online - try www.ebuyer.com - and that won't get much repair work for you.

Epsons do tend to have longevity problems, but their cloned ink is very cheap. HPs cost more to run, but tend to last longer. Canons have cheap ink and probably last longer than Epsons. Lexmarks, however, tend to be very expensive and the quality isn't always the best.
www.epson.co.uk

would gather you have tried it for any updates.sorry didnt read properly.hope it helps.if not a prob with printer.I`ve had these for years never had a prob apart from cost of ink
Printer Problem - Epson Colour 680 - Altea Ego
Sorry to say I think the printer is screwed, sounds to me like the stepper* motor is suspect. My Epson 640 lasted 4 years before the jets got too clogged to work any more so bought a c64 for 49 quid down the local computer fair. Beware some of the cheap epson 64 deals they dont include ink carts or usb cable in the price.

As said before, try a software reload, or install it on another computer, but i think it will fail. If you fancy tinkering, try taking it apart and check the r/h position switch/sensor, or wd40 on the stepper motor. (the thing that moves the belt that shifts the print head l & r). Sometimes the ribbon cable (connects to the head) comes loose. Printers these days (well small home ones) are chuckaway items, sold at a loss, money made on consumeables.
Printer Problem - Epson Colour 680 - buzbee
A couple of printer tips. Make sure the printer faults are not due to either a faulty cable or one that is too long. And it is worth testing a faulty printer using a short cable to your PC, say only a few feet, particularly if it is a parallel port connection.

Some motherboard parallel ports do not have enough drive for a long cable. I know, I had one, and finally solved the problem by building a buffer (for the signals TO the printer) to drive my 6 metres/yards of cable.

It was poor motherboard design economy because the printer had plenty of drive for its return handshake signals. Without the buffer, the PC gave the impression it had sent the file, yet printer did nothing. The signals when they got there were too weak.

Secondly, to get at cartridges in an Epson 740 (and hopefully yours) before they are empty, switch the printer off while they are moving so as to stop them where you can get at them.

On an Epsom 740 I afterwards gently push the head/cartridges back to their proper end stop before switching on, as starting my printer with heads otherwise can result in 'not-good' noise as the belt ratchets to correct.

I find Print-Rite cartridges keep the heads free longer and can disolve some persistant head blockages, not fully solved by the usual press-button clean, if the printer is then left overnight to give the solvent a chance.
There is another poss.I did once have a problem with the data lead to the printer.took me ages to work out why mine would not work but that is the only problem I ever had.just a thought
Printer Problem - Epson Colour 680 - IanT
Bobby - Your problem is definitely a hardware fault. Even if the 680 is disconnected from the PC, it should still move the cartridges to the centre position when the "centre cartridges" button is pressed (the bottom button).

Ian
They dont unless the inks are run out.either black or colour they do have an installed checker on this so if the ink is ok printer jet/jets return to normal possition.pressing the button and holding wont work if printer is being told ink is above lowest.it could be hardware fault but I doubt anything to do with ink
Sorry to have to disagree with you, mech1. I've got one of these printers and it operates exactly as I described.

Ian
Don`t appologise if wrong only glad to hear why.more than happy to learn more about these machines.I only stated what I know I think any help is wanted as to the prob.but as stated not had one on epson apart from what I mentioned.
Guys, thanks for all the suggestions. Now about to attempt to dismantle it, reload all software and try different cables if possible.

Will also try as many of your suggestions as I can. Will let you know how I do!

Thanks again
Ian, once it is switched on, the printer head moves left to right a couple of times and then parks on the RHS and the red light on the second button flashes.
I have tried switching the power off half way through this when the cartridges are in the "window" and checked them but they seem fine.
When I press the bottom button nothing moves.
So to summarise, the ink looks ok, the belts and motor "look" ok in that they are moving from left to right. I cannot see any paper jammed in it anywhere. I think that perhaps answers some of the suggestions already kindly provided?
Any last suggestions before RIP??
"Once it is switched on, the printer head moves left to right a couple of times and then parks on the RHS". This would be correct behaviour if the left/right movement was only about 3 to 4 cm. The cartridges should not move into the central window, so you shouldn't be able to switch the power off halfway through to get access to the cartridges.

My guess is that whatever is supposed to detect the carriage position isn't doing so.

BTW The left/right initialisation only happens after a "cold start" - i.e. you turn the power on at the mains and then press the "power" button. There is no initialisation if the printer is on, you turn it off (with the power button) and then turn it on again.

Ian
Cheers for that Ian, tried everything yesterday and made no difference. Print head was moving the full length of the printer and back.
Thanks again for all the suggestions.
MSXMLR.DLL file. What is it\'s purpose? - THe Growler
What is the purpose of the MSXMLR.DLL file? I tried to repair my IE6 but I\'m told I don\'t have said file and to reinstall everything. Get away I thought, what a waste of good drinking time.
MSXMLR.DLL file. What is it\'s purpose? - Adam {P}
Growls,

>>What is the purpose of the MSXMLR.DLL file?<<

Not got a clue (not good for an I.T. student) but reinstalling \'everything\' isnt\' as bad as it sounds. You should only need to reinstall IE6 which should at max take around 10 minutes......no wait - you are right - what a waste of good drinking time!

Cheers

Adam
MSXMLR.DLL file. What is it\'s purpose? - THe Growler
Sorry to appear obtuse but I thought you had to reinstall the entire Windows (that\'s what it seemed from the screen message I got, not something I have an overwhelming urge to do as you may well imagine), how do you get just the IE6?

Why can\'t software manufacturers make things that WORK properly?

MSXMLR.DLL file. What is it\'s purpose? - Adam {P}
Ahhh - reinstalling everything is a different matter....although it is unusual especially for a problem only with I.E. What does the message say?

Try and uninstall I.E first to make sure you have a clean slate and then whack this on:

www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=...n

Of course, if this doesn\'t work then you may need to reinstall everything....oh dear.

Cheers

Adam
MSXMLR.DLL file. What is it\'s purpose? - Another John H
What is the purpose of the MSXMLR.DLL file? I tried to
repair my IE6 but I\'m told I don\'t have said file
and to reinstall everything. Get away I thought, what a waste
of good drinking time.

It would seem to be for parsing Xtended Markup Language..

See also

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;2...8
MSXMLR.DLL file. What is it's purpose? - THe Growler
Thanks all for your responses. This looks like a case of the solution being worse than the problem, so I'll have that other drink instead :+)

A further question: I mentioned the every-few-seconds responses on my firewall. I found out how to do the "who is" thing and entered some of the numbers. Turns out the main instigator is the DSL Task Force Unit of the Philippine Long Distance telephone Company, my phone provider. They use lots of numbers and eventually I got bored of entering them.

Why would this be I wonder? I suppose it's less alarming than some teenage hacker in Kazakhstan.

MSXMLR.DLL file. What is it's purpose? - Kuang
Tracing unauthorised access attempts through the IP address is often a lot tougher than you'd think - when you see an IP address, you're almost always seeing the address of a modem owned by the service provider, and not the address of the person doing the deed. Service providers purchase large ranges of IP addresses, so you'll often see a lot of numbers belonging to the same source. Unless the 'whois' response shows a company who you know give out static IP addresses (eg. broadband providers) then it probably won't lead you to who you think it will!

As for the 'every few seconds' thing - you get lots of script-kiddies running port scanners on massive ranges of IP addresses to probe for typical vulnerabilities, with unprotected windows fileshares being the main one. A lot of UK providers don't seem to do anything at all about this, even though it's quite clear what's happening...
access attempts? - THe Growler
Thanks K, intriguing to this non-tech.

I did the Gibson check and it says my firewall is fine. Should I worry?

(LOL meanwhile I've backed up my 800 page auto-biography memoirs script on to 2 different CD-R's........)
access attempts? - malteser
To be published here in weekly instalments, Growler?
Roger in Spain
access attempts? - Kuang
GRCs intrusion test is pretty good, so the strongest threats you have to worry about if you pass will be egress attacks from your computer (eg. trojans phoning home) or vulnerabilities relating to the firewall software itself - nothing regular updates can't fix!

I use Zonealarm and update it as soon as new versions become available and it's been fantastic - it handles ingress and egress attacks, and gets my vote for one of the ultimate PC freebies (alongside AVG antivirus and Winamp).
MSXMLR.DLL file. What is it's purpose? - Stuartli
www.perfectxml.com/MSXMLVersion.asp?r=3&p=1&c=1
Shutdown Message - Robin Reliant
About three out of every four times I shut my pc down I get the following message on the screen - The instruction referenced memory at 0x771c1bf4 The instruction 0x00000008 could not be read.

If I ignore it the message stays on the screen for about ten seconds and then shutdown continues as normal. Nothing else seems to be affected, but it is driving me up the wall. Any ideas?

BTW, this seems to have happened after installing and then uninstalling AOL, an ISP whose software always seems to cause me problems whenever I have tried to use it.
Shutdown Message - frostbite
I think you have it in the BTW there - AOL software tends to invade like a virus.

Perhaps a freeware registry checker/cleaner would sort this?
Adware and a Chat. - Dwight Van Driver
Couple of points:

1. Many of you are operating Spybot to get rid of adware etc.
Like me no doubt it will have been the 2.1. version. A sweep of my box yesterday with this revealed nothing. Having read today that there is a new free version 3.1. available for download, I zapped off the old one and loaded the new. Gawd almighty - a sweep with it revealed fifteen possible problems to be fixed.

2. One for the consideration of you experts and regulars. Can someone with Aol, or a different ISP, all visit the same Chat Room somewhere? If possible then if time and date arranged we could meet up for a natter. ?

DVD
Adware and a Chat. - malteser
Thanks for that VERY useful tip DVD !
I have just installed and run the latest version and can report a similar situation with extra spy threats revealed!
There are loads of extra features, too - well worth the upgrade.
Roger in Spain
Adware and a Chat. - THe Growler
Try also Spy Sweeper www.webroot.com

It is memory resident unlike the others and I find it picks up stuff that Ad-Aware and Search & Destroy don't. It also protects your browser. I've tried most of them and IMO this is the best.
Adware and a Chat. - Adam {P}
Something I use DVD to keep in touch with my mates is something called MSN Messenger. It works very similar to a chat room. Most of you will have some early version of it on your comptuer as standard with windows. You get a free passport ( a posh name for a user name and password)and sign in. Then you add all the other addresses of people you know and when they come online, you get a nice little message and you can talk to them real time. One of the main advantages is that it isn't web based so you don't need to wait for the brower to download applets and all that rubbish - it is an independent program. Other good features include a file send facility which is great for sending photos.

I'm blabbering:

www.msn.co.uk/messenger/Default.asp?Ath=f

will probably expiain it better.

Cheers

Adam

P.S. - I don't work for MSN.
Adware and a Chat. - Dalglish
dvd:
thanks for the tip about updated spybot v1.3 - note 1.3 not 3.1 ;-)
i have v1.2 and have been using the built in update faciltiy which has failed to pick up the new version even though it has been out for over a month!
Adware and a Chat. - Stuartli
If you mean Search and Destroy it's version 1.2 and now 1.3 - not the reverse...:-)
The Reply to This Message didn't seem to insert it in the correct place in this instance.
Adware and a Chat. - Dynamic Dave
The Reply to This Message didn\'t seem to insert it in
the correct place in this instance.

It did if you view the thread in \"view threaded\" mode.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=22699&...t

If in doubt, then quote some of the text to which you\'re replying to. ie, don\'t quote it all, only the relavent bits.

DD.
>It did if you view the thread in "view threaded" mode.

It is...:-)
Watching TV on the PC - Durelli
With Football being a main TV feature at present and me being stuck at work while the England game is on...

does anyone know how I can get TV on my work computer?
Are there websites broadcasting it? Either legally or illegally?
Is there anything that I can buy reasonably cheaply to plug into the computer to watch it?

Apparently our building doesn\'t get good reception, but I\'ll be trying a portable TV first.

cheers

Durelli - son of a famous Italian tyre maker
Watching TV on the PC - frostbite
Lots of computer TV cards on eBay/ebid for just a few pounds BUT - will you get it before England get knocked out AND they usually need a pretty good signal to work.
Watching TV on the PC - Dynamic Dave
AND they usually need a pretty good signal to work.

As well as a TV licence.
Watching TV on the PC - malteser
>> AND they usually need a pretty good signal to work.
As well as a TV licence.

Aha - THAT'S why they lost to les frogs - not a strong enough signal!
We really must speak to Sven!
Roger in Spain
Mobile phone virus - henry k
It has now been reported:
The CABIR worm can infect the latest phones using the Symbian OS.
Bluetooth users watch out.
Google gives lots of results. e.g.
www.net-security.org/press.php?id=2219

The good news is, if it is the "wild", it is not one that screws up the phone.
Mobile phone virus - Welliesorter
Perhaps this belongs in computer-related questions?

The point many of the articles make is that you have to accept the worm to receive it. Unlike a computer worm, it won't crawl into your phone silently. On the other hand, many e-mail viruses have spread as the result of people being dim enough to click on unknown attachments.

The lesson is, turn off Bluetooth on your phone if you don't use it, or at least make sure you aren't normally discoverable by other devices. To be honest, I'd be more worried about people downloading my phone book than passing on worms or viruses.

Mobile phone virus - Mark (RLBS)
Will be moved later.
Mobile phone virus - Mapmaker
To be honest, I'd be more worried about people downloading my phone book than passing on worms or viruses.

Afraid they'd get hold of your little black book...?
Mobile phone virus - Welliesorter
Afraid they'd get hold of your little black book...?

It is a genuine threat. See news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3642627.stm

and

makeashorterlink.com/?L2EC34C57

Mobile phone virus - patently
The new 3 series has a bluetooth interface to the phone. On handover, the dealer showed in great detail how to make sure that text messages etc were deleted from both the phone and the car and how to avoid displaying the whole phone book...

I gained the distinct impression that there had been embarassing incidents of unintentional disclosure to SWMBOs...
Mobile phone virus - Mapmaker
SsWMBO, ssshurely!
Mobile phone virus - patently
Only if spelt out in full, mapmaker!

Of course, if I had been wrong then surely the correction would be TWMBO?
Computer freezes - Doc
I am running a Gateway with Windows ME.

Recently on both start-up and shut down the computer "freezes" and will not respond even to contl-alt-delete.
I am forced to switch it off at the wall socket. ( the off switch on the computer will not work)

On re-starting, I get a message saying improper shutdown detected and the Scan Disc program starts, but will not complete! It just keeps attempting to complete, and then starts the process again. I then have to cancel it in order to get IE.
I have up-to-date virus software and a firewall.
Any ideas?

Computer freezes - Dwight Van Driver
Welcome to the club Doc.

Mine does that intermittently.

Do an AV/Spy Bot check and then

Have a good clean out- Disk Clean, Search and delete:

*.tmp

files.

Defrag, Scan disk thorough (later two in Safe Mode) and you just may get it back.

Also visit

www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winme

Do a search and you will find this seems to be a common problem.

DVD

Computer freezes - BB
I have a similar problem.
I have just installed a Belkin router for use with laptop (Dell Latitude) with a PCMCIA Wifi card.
I cannot shut down and have to turn it off at the wall. I have used Norton to try and fix the problem, but with no success.
Is yours a laptop? If so, have you tried with PCMCIA in and out whilst booting up?

Computer freezes - Doc
BB: no, it is not a laptop.

DVD: thanks for the info. I'll give it a try, although the defrag doesn't seem to be working.

Computer freezes - frostbite
No help with the main problem I'm afraid - just checking to see if yours, like most computers nowadays, needs the 'off button' to be held for 2-3 seconds to work?
Computer freezes - malteser
I had the same problem of shutdown "hangs" with ME - IMHO the absolute pits of operating systems
I changed to XP Home and very rarely get any problems at all!
Power cuts are not infrequent here and even after such a forced shutdown XP starts again quite happily - go on spend the money for XP !
Roger in Spain
Computer freezes - Chicken Madras
Doc,

To save switching your PC off at the wall, just press and hold in the on/off switch for ten seconds. It'll then switch itself off and you can press the on/off switch again to restart it.

This trick apparently works for all PCs. I didn't know about it until a few months ago and it has saved me countless bruises to my head rummaging under desks to pull plugs out of walls.

Hope this helps!
CM
Computer freezes - Civic8
Not allways for ME.in most cases when ME locks up.mains shut off is the only way to do it./glad I have XP much more stable.
Computer freezes - Adam {P}
Not wishing to turn this into a debate but XP? STABLE? ARE YOU MAD?

2000 Pro - the way to go definitely
XP? STABLE? ARE YOU MAD?
so whats 2000 Pro then.XP updated version.ps don`t shout I heard you.
Computer freezes - Robin Reliant
Don't know if this is relevant, but I have on two occasions had the same problem. Both occurred after installing AOL's free trial offer, the worst effected case being when I was using ME. Same again with XP recently, tho' not as bad.

When I had the problem with ME I made countless calls to the AOL helpline but nothing they suggested would sort it out, and one of their operators said it was a known problem with AOL on some pc's, though others denied having heard of it.

If you are running AOL it may be worth uninstalling it and seeing if that helps.
Computer freezes - Adam {P}
Sorry Mech - the Caps were accidental but then I thought - "What the hey - I'll leave them in to convey my point."
Sorry Mech - the Caps were accidental but then I thought - "What the hey - I'll leave them in to convey my point."

Whatever you`re point good or bad shouting.for me and others wont get you heard.I normally dont bother with shouting ie dont reply and would rather mods sorted.but would suggest you are more carefull in future.I have seen enough on other forums.and dont wish to see it here.I hope you see my point.?