Stolen hand/service book - CM
SWMBO left the car unlocked on the weekend and of course someone went through it. They left behind the stereo (which she keeps in the glove box), the blue badge (apparently quite a good trade in these) but did steal the hand book and service manual.

Presumably as the service manual had full dealer stamps and only 59k for a P reg this is what might have been of interest (for clocking purposes). I cannot think why else they would want it but if there are any more sinister reasons can someone let me know please?
Stolen hand/service book - Blue {P}
If they managed to take anything from the car with your home address on it then they now know where the car is kept, and also, they may be able to use information in the service book to obtain a key from a Vauxhall dealer.

However, I reckon that is really, really unlikely, as I think the dealer would ask to see the logbook as well as the chassis number before cutting a key, you are most likely right, they will Tippex out the reg and chassis number of your car and use it in a clocked vehicle.

Blue
Stolen hand/service book - Colin M
This is the reason I have never kept any of the documentation in my cars. Plenty of new vehicles have little trays fitted to keep the service book (eg Audi and Porsche under the steering wheel) but I have always advised my customers never to keep these in the car.

Was the tax disc stolen as well? If so you have some cloning on your hands and standby for all the speeding and parking tickets to start coming through the post :-(

Stolen hand/service book - martint123
Yes, might be worth reporting theft to plod just in case of future cloning problems.
Stolen hand/service book - Roberson

Hi,

That would really pee me off. You now have no service history with your car, unless you kept the invoices separate from the stamp book, which would mean a small drop in value if you try and sell the car.

I agree that the only real reason why it would be stolen would be for to with clocked vehicles. For extra piece of mind, in case they do try and get a duplicate key, invest in a wheel lock or similar device. For varying small sums of money, it may put your mind at rest, plus you may get money off your insurance too.

"This is the reason I have never kept any of the documentation in my cars. Plenty of new vehicles have little trays fitted to keep the service book (eg Audi and Porsche under the steering wheel) but I have always advised my customers never to keep these in the car." I did remove these from the car when my sister owned it because someone broke in for some CD's and a bag of M&Ms (but only got empty cases, ha ha ha) But then I thought that no one would really break in to a 11 year old car for its documentation, so I put them back. Surely this only applies to newer/more expensive cars?

Roberson
Stolen hand/service book - Vansboy
some CD's and a bag of M&Ms (but only got empty cases, ha ha ha)

But they stll broke in!!

we had to replace some side glass - more costly than a windscreen - on a customers Omega, 'cos hed left a cheap umbrella laying on the seat. Resulting in a low life getting home a bit dryer.

Best hide stuff away, or better still not leaving it in the car.

VB
Stolen hand/service book - Colin M
Roberson, it applies to all cars. Why make the fencing of a stolen vehicle even easier by providing the thief with all the manuals, a full service history and some personal information (eg insurance certificate) relating to you?

Stolen hand/service book - Roberson
Hi again,

Perhaps I should have made myself a little clearer (I don?t mean that in a smug way) The items that were put back in to the car were of minimal use to a thief. The service history and log book are obviously kept inside the house, and insurance certificate is kept on my persons. This only leaves the instruction manual, radio manual, dealer network map and initial sales invoice from when the car was new (does not contain my details) and a service book, (unstamped). Granted, the unstamped service book should indeed be removed as this has chassis number and the like inside. Also the fact it is unstamped makes it all the more useful for clocking.

Come to think of it, the initial sales invoice may also contain the VIN number, so I may also remove that.

Now that I own the car, I leave nothing on display at all, like CDs etc.

Roberson
Stolen hand/service book - CM
the follow up.......

Oh what joys I have had this morning. The toe rags who went through the car the other day stealing the service book also took a £1 coin from one of those little compartments that cars have.

This morning at 4am the car got smashed into and the £1 coin that was put back was taken along with the time clock for a blue badge (the main card was left behind)!

I don't mind the breaking in financially as I have a zero excess but it peeves me because of all the hassle getting a replacement.

They didn't even bother going through the glove box where SWMBO keeps the radio.

What surprises me is that these yoofs are not fast asleep at this time...
Stolen hand/service book - Texan
You may be able to get a replacement book from ebay.
If you buy one from a dealer it will probable have
'Duplicate' stamped all over it. I would suggest you
look for one on ebay and chase up the dealers who serviced
it and ask very nicely if they will restamp it.
Stolen hand/service book - OldPeculiar
You never know, maybe you'll find your own book on Ebay!