SORN and retaxing - pmh
My summer car is currently SORNed. Having been to the Post Office this am to get it taxed from 1/5 (so I can use it if the sun stays out this weekend) they refuse to tax it saying it can only be taxed on the last 2 days of the month preceding the new validity. (I had always thought that you were allowed to pretax 14 days in advance).

I have looked thro DVLA site to find this 'rule' and failed! Can
anybody find it? or know if this is a new rule.

Clever money making scheme, introduce new SORN penalties and then make it difficult to retax.

pmh (was peter)
SORN and retaxing - stokie
Are you saying it's 2 days for SORNed vehicles but 14 days for currently taxed ('til end of April) ones?
SORN and retaxing - Quinny100
If you have an existing tax disc (ie you have a renewal notice), then you can have a new disc 14 days before the old one expires.

If you have no tax, then you have to buy a disc valid from the date of purchase. The concession to this is that they will issue a disc valid from the first of the following month on the last two days of the current month, although really you are actually driving without road tax if you use the car before the valid from date of the tax disc.

They have to draw the line somewhere.
SORN and retaxing - pmh
Yes I understand the logic (and the rules re use) but where is it written down?

pmh (was peter)
SORN and retaxing - Dwight Van Driver
Surely at your young age pmh a trip to the optician is not necesssary or is it?

All at the DVLA site:

When can I apply for a licence?

If there has been no break in licensing dates, you can apply to renew your vehicle licence from the 15th day of the month in which the existing licence is due to expire. If there has been a break in licensing of a month or more, we cannot issue you with a licence more than two working days before it is due to start. A licence comes into force on the day it is issued. If you take the licence out in advance, it comes into force on the first day of the next month and should not be displayed on your vehicle until then. If you are taking your vehicle abroad, see 'What if my vehicle licence is due to expire while I am abroad?'.

DVD
SORN and retaxing - pmh
DVD

ok I have put my glasses on and have now found it on the DVLA website! Thanks. Trouble is with glasses on I cant read the number plate at the requisite distance.

PS
If you are bored, have a read of the rules re 'if the vehicles is abroad'. Confusion abounds! Anyway, how do you apply for SORN if you are already abroad? And I still do not understand what concern it is of the DVLA that a vehicle needs to be UK taxed whilst abroad. Ok, I can accept that the foreign licensing authority may have an issue, but surely the DVLA is only interested in if the vehicle is on the UK public highway or similar. PPS I have posted on this before.

pmh (was peter)
SORN and retaxing - martint123
Its an EC thing - DVLA collects VED for car abroad on behalf of other EU members. Think of the Swiss who collect road tax when you enter their country. (why don't we do it to the Swiss??)

SORN and retaxing - pmh
The Swiss only collect if you wish to use there excellent motorway system.

I can accept there MAY be a reciprocity agreement within the EEC, but DVLA make no mention of different requirements for different countries.

pmh (was peter)
SORN and retaxing - Dwight Van Driver
.......surely the DVLA is only interested in if the vehicle is on the UK public highway or similar. ......

Exactly pmh. Irrespective of what a foreign power may require, IIRC generally a taxed vehicle is a requirement. Likewise, the minute the wheels hit terra firma UK then unless taxed, two offences. No Tax and fail to display.

DVD
SORN and retaxing - Doc
they refuse to tax it saying it can only be taxed
on the last 2 days of the month preceding the new
validity. >>

I think you will find this is stated on the V10 form you used to apply.