Computer related questions Volume 10 - Dynamic Dave

******** Thread now full, see volume 11 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=21949

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 10. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

Networking and possible upgrade - Phoenicks
2 questions if anyone can help:

1. i want to do gaming with a friend where we link the systems together. believe i need LAN cable and network card. Do i need anything else? Is it expensive? Hard to set up? Basically what do i need to do to do PC to PC Gaming.

2. Might buy a new pc soon. thinking of the Athlon 64 chip. Is it worth it?

Many Thanks

{Subject header changed to reflect the question being asked. DD}
Networking and possible upgrade - Altea Ego
1/ You need to have a network card in each and two cat5 netwrok cables, and either a network hub OR a Cat5 crossover cable (and dump the two cat5 ordinary cables) Step by step instructions found on the web if you search for \"home networking\"

2/Good chip, not enough software around to exploit its features yet. If you are into gaming specify a fast video card - dont bother with 256mb on the video card it cant all be used so go for a 128mb
Networking and possible upgrade - Kuang
dont bother with 256mb on the video card it cant all be used so go for a 128mb

That definitely used to be the case, but it's not quite so clear-cut now. The problem was that third party manufacturers based their boards on the reference one, but put substandard memory on with a relatively low access speed. This, in conjunction with older AGP buses, meant that you couldn't get the chips filled up before the lags became noticeable and so the extra memory was barely used. In some cases though you could cache the entire texture set for a level (for example), especially with S3 texturing, so you did see a noticeable difference in specific applications.

Now manufacturers are specifying much faster ram on the cards, and there are also the newer faster DDR standard and improved multi channel memory architectures to be taken into account. 256Mb on your video card is now an extremely useful thing to have, especially if you want to futureproof your purchase to some degree against Half-Life 2, Doom 3 and the next generation of hardware intensive game engines.
Only true if you want to run games at resolutions greater that 1280 x 1024 (like 1600 x1200) - Its nothing to do with speed or anything else, purely down to the number of pixels that need to be addressed - ie screen size

Networking and possible upgrade - Kuang
You have to draw a distinction between screenbuffer memory and texture/geometry storage though. You could technically store enough data to draw a 1600x1200x32 screen in under 10mb, but that's just pixel colour values rather than the data used to create them.

As an illustration, you could imagine that an FPS game level could use 50-80Mb of texture data alongside another 20Mb or so of model data, and then the space to process and shuffle stuff around - if you can cram as much stuff as possible into this space in advance then you're reducing the need for transfers between system and video memory and therefore helping to reduce display lag. This becomes even more important as you ramp the screen refresh rate to the level where you're drawing more screen data per second than you could possibly transfer into the video memory (which I think might be where you're coming from).

Bandwidth is always the killer rather than processor speed (which is why you can boost most memory cards far more by overclocking the memory than the core) so the extra local video memory helps to get the crunching out of the way in times of low demand.

Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick here - I've had a day off today, largely away from computers (for a change) so I'm not firing on all memory chips ;)
Networking and possible upgrade - Van Driving Man
If you are thinking of buying a third PC soon, go for the \'hub\' networking option rather than the crossover cable PC - PC) option. Hub has \'expandability\', crossover cable does not (easily).

My local B&Q Superstore has a \'Home Networking\' section, with \'how to do it\' and #what you need\' guides all around. Their prices are better than PC World too! :)
Networking and possible upgrade - DavidHM
Phoenicks - if you\'re the kind of person who upgrades your PC regularly, the Athlon64 is worth going for. I wouldn\'t pay much of a premium for it over an ordinary Athlon, but if it\'s available and you\'re spending the money anyway, it\'s well worth considering. Probably not worth more than £30-£50 more than an equivalent speed rating Athlon.

I also agree with what RF says about video cards. I have a Radeon 9600 Pro with 128MB in my two year old, 1.8GHz Compaq PC and it will probably outperform a 3GHz P4 with a slow card in most games. My 9600 Pro only cost me £80 including VAT.

If you can choose the exact specification you want from your supplier, then it\'s worth doing - or even consider building it yourself.
If you do buy a regular athlon, dont think you can upgrade to a 64 later, you cant without changing the motherboard.
Networking and possible upgrade - Civic8
In answer to no/2 if you get it it will make it future proof for a good time.As for gaming do get a good card more memory/faster processor the better.as games get more mem hungry at least the card will take the strain off your main mem.giving better graphics and seemless playing ie no freezing.even slightest amount of freezing is annoying slows the game down.
Thanks for all your responses, and well, i didnt realise it would raise such aresponse!

I'm buying it because my old computers getting a little bit past it and cant handle the newest games. So i'll be getting rid of the old system.

I dont want to upgrade the existing system because: a) its an athlon 650 and i'd have to change literally everything & b) its nice to have a change!

I've had my old system for 4 years and i tend to keep PC's for a while and i'm not much of a 'continual upgrader' - i'd rather buy one that will be ok (future-proofed) for the coming 3-5 years - hence the Athlon 64 chip as i understand that they are bringing out software specifically for it over the coming years. I also want a graphics card/memory that will serve me well for the coming years and not have me wanting another one within a year.

Regards building one, I've looked at the cost of the chip, motherboard, memory, graphics card and more specifically the TFT screen and it seems the package deals by someone like Mesh, Evesham etc dont seem a whole lot more of a cost than building it myself - based on a £300 + monitor being included in the package. Also i have someone else to shout at if it goes wrong!

Is there much difference between the Athlon 64 and the Pentium 4 chip?

Any other tips gratefully received.

Re the Athlon64 and the pentium. yes price. The nearest pentium that comes close to the athlon64 (pentium 3.4ee I think) is HUGELY expnsive in comparison. Now is not a good time to buy a Pentium they are changing the fabrication and the pin design as we speak ready for the next generation.

Personally I am waiting a bit befor my next upgrade, because I always stick with Intel, but for you I would not hesitate in saying buy an athlon 64 and you wont be disapointed, specify the best graphics card you can afford.

Thanks RF - i wasnt sure but kinda confirmed my thoughts.

Anyone got any tips on grpahics cards? The ATI Radeon 9xxx series looks good, but anyone got any thoughts on the Geeforce 5XXX series cards?

I'll certainly post my prospective purchase on here when i decide to see what you guys think.
Networking and possible upgrade - DavidHM
Not a huge issue. I went for a Radeon because it offered more bang for my buck, but if you're not a gamer or into other 3D work, I can't see any huge benefit in going for one or the other. I play the occasional game, particularly racing - if I were building a general purpose system, I'd probably put in a Radeon 9600SE (about £50 for the card) but if you're comparing pre-built systems with different make cards, I wouldn't really be too concerned.

FX5200 cards are quite slow, the 9200SE isn't great either, but anything higher (except possibly an FX5600, which is expensive for what it is) will be fine for you. If you're just using standard Windows applications, almost anything will do though.
Networking and possible upgrade - frostbite
Just had a leaflet stuffed through the door detailing an incredibly hi-spec system based on the AMD 64 3200 with 1gbRAM, 200gbHD, ATI 128mb 9800, TV card, DVD rw, and *lots* of etceteras.

It's £799 (w/o monitor) and only possible drawback is that it's made by Time, who, IIRC do not have a stunning reputation.

Website at www.thecomputershop.co.uk
Networking and possible upgrade - frostbite
Just had a look at the website and that model is NOT listed yet - the leaflet says "offer starts 29th April for 3 days" so maybe it's not going to appear on the site until then.

The leaflet also says "broadband and network ready, 10/100 Abit"
Networking and possible upgrade - amol
Hi DavidHM,

I am interested in buying a new PC and know a fair bit about computers from my IT background. I unfortunately dont know enough to be able to pick and choose the right components to build a PC. I would appreciate if you could help me put one together. If thats OK with you, I'll send you a mail with that I am looking for.

THanks
Networking and possible upgrade - Dalglish
>>
know enough to be able to pick and choose the right
components to build a PC. I would appreciate if you could
help me put one together.

amol:

go to www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml

and search for articles by

Rick Maybury

Bootcamp 322: build your own PC, part two
(Filed: 21/04/2004)

Bootcamp 321: build your own PC - part one
Bootcamp 320: Linux - part three
Bootcamp 319: Linux - part two
Bootcamp 318: Linux - what's it all about?
Bootcamp 317: power perils
Bootcamp 316: spring clean and upgrade, part four
Bootcamp 315: spring clean and upgrade, part three
Bootcamp 314: spring clean and upgrade, part two
Bootcamp 313: spring clean and upgrade, part one

Check out www.pcpro.co.uk they tell you about the new nVidia geforce 6800 ultra thats apparently coming out in may.looks good
Networking and possible upgrade - Baskerville
If you're into self building, take a look at:

www.hoojum.com/

Wow wow and thrice wow.
Yes the gforce 6800 ultra is *the* latest and greatest video card and it really does zoooooooooom and beats any ATi

However, its very very power hungry (needs two power inputs), its going to be very expensive and very hard to get for a few months till the makers ramp up, and there are problems with the windows drivers at the moment. Best stick with a good radeon for the moment,
Ok I didnt mention that RF but as its power is what it says I reckon it will do well with gamers.and apparently the article I read about it said it was a pre production model says it may be better.on release.As I recall most new graphics cards had driver problems before release.So I doubt in this case 6800 ultra will have any probs.And ps I dont dissagree with what you said.Time will tell.
A quick reminder. - Dynamic Dave

A fair bit of editing has been needed in previous volumes of the \"computer related questions\" & \"I have a question\" threads.

So therefore a quick reminder to people:-

When posting a NEW question, please \"Reply to\" the first message in this thread, i.e. the topmost one? This keeps each question in it\'s own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions.

If a moderator has to move it around, then there\'s a strong chance of accidentally deleting your post instead.

Please don\'t forget to also include your question within the subject header.

Obviously when replying to any existing questions, just reply to those as per normal.

DD, BR Moderator.

Slow computer - John24
System 98SE 20Gb H/D K6/2 500 Processsor 256 Mb RAM.
Until 3/4 days ago had no problem, but now find system very slow and Norton System Doctor indicates almost 100 % constant processor usage even when I'm not doing anything. How can I identify what is going on?
Thanks in anticipation.
Slow computer - Altea Ego
you need to update your av program with the latest signature, then run an av scan. then press alt/ctrl/delete for task manager click on processes, then tell us what process is hogging the cpu.
Slow computer - John24
I run AVG and Zone Alarm but as a double check I ran Housecall from Trend Micro with zero results - a clean sweep. Ctrl/Alt/Del brings up a Close Program window but no task manager. However I noticed 'Rulaunch' on the list and a Google search threw up lots of complaints about this. I don't run MacAfee anti-virus but I recently installed Quickclean from a magazine CD. I removed Rulaunch from system and -bingo- back to normal.
Thanks for your help.
Slow computer - Kuang
I actually pulled Norton system tools + virus checker off an XP Home box yesterday because it was completely killing the startup process and causing it to hang before it'd even initialised the taskbar.. yours probably doesn't need the same drastic action, but as I've been on the receiving end of Norton's strops on more than one occasion I thought it worth mentioning :)
Scandisk Report - Bad Sectors. - THe Growler
2 month old computer. Pentium 4 2.66, 512k ram, 40 Gb Maxtor HD.
Scandisk reports bad sectors and has moved data to other area.
Nothing to worry about or short/long term problem?

Advice please before I go to computer shop and wave warranty.

Thank you.

Scandisk Report - Bad Sectors. - Civic8
If you go to the maxtor webb site they have a diagnostics program try that before you take it back.in a lot of cases the program can correct any problems you are having.IIRC it has to be put on floppy first.I think its www.maxtor.com
Scandisk Report - Bad Sectors. - Mark (RLBS)
As it stands, no particular issue. But it could be an indication of things to come. I'd wave the warranty.
Scandisk Report - Bad Sectors. - Altea Ego
Depends on number of sectors. Most disks will loose a few over its life, if any more pop up shortly then get it changed.
Scandisk Report - Bad Sectors. - Van Driving Man
Only 2 months old and showing bad sectors???

Wave warranty - I would suggest sooner rather than later.
Disks are Made with bad sectors.....
Scandisk Report - Bad Sectors. - smokie
No, discs can have bad sectors during production - they aren't a deliberate feature!

My opinion would be that if there were new bad bits on a 2 month old disk then it should go back without delay.
That is what i meant - I didnt mean to imply they were put on as a feature!
Scandisk Report - Bad Sectors. - smokie
Sorry, I sounded picky!
Scandisk Report - Bad Sectors. - Civic8
I bought a second H/D for mine years ago.after 3 months had the same problem.I used the software from maxtor.sent the report by e`mail to them.Maxtor replied by sending a freepost label to print off I sent it back and it was replaced within 7 days.still using it.I was led to believe bad sectors get worse over a short space of time due to abnormal platter surface.if some one wants to correct me on this am willing to hear it.
Printer cartridges - Civic8
I posted a note about printer cartridges a while back.about them lasting longer than the warning light states.just to put you in the picture.A warning light comes up on the printer saying you have run/running out of either colour or black ink.I thought I would try opening the mechanism and close it again.Just to see what happens.Both lights went out and 54 sheets of text so far and 4xA4 photos at high resolution am still going makes you wonder.Ps this is only an observation not running any co down.please delete mods if considered out of order?
Printer cartridges - terryb
Mech1
I agree. I just keep printing until colour quality/blackness fades. Cartridges last about twice what the software would have us believe.

As an aside, we've recently had a new shop open in our village called Cartridge World. The ethos is to refill rather than landfill. They're brilliant - less than half the price of new replacements and the refill the cartridges with the *full* amount of ink/toner, not the 60% full that new full-price oem stuff has in it. I also had a new cartridge (not from them) where the yellow wasn't running - they got it started for me foc. They said it was always yellow that gave problems.

They also (I think) have an internet service but it's a franchise business so look out for new shops opening near you! Recommended.
--
Terry

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand"
Printer cartridges - malteser
As another aside - try inksaver - www.inksaver.com to regulate the amount of ink you use for each print job.
It's not a free program, but it is freely available :)
Roger.
Printer cartridges - Civic8
I just keep printing until colour quality/blackness fades

I cannot do that due to software if the black runs out according to software/I cannot print same with colour.I only tried this just to see if what has been said before would actually work.from my point it does.and strangely while I was out today my little girl printed another 25 pages of mixed due to a school project.software says cartridges are at 3/4 full.I wonder?
Printer cartridges - terryb
Have you tried fooling the software by pretending you've installed a new cartridge? Take out the old and re-insert it, go through whatever lining-up procedures you have to do and it should work okay until the ink dries up.
--
Terry

Warning Barclays. - Altea Ego
Mods - with your indulgence, and by all means move this to the I have a computer question later but leave here for a day or two (maybe made read only?)

Just recieved a very official looking, nicely formatted, note from Barclays i-Banking. Barclays logo and everything. It states.

Details Confirmation
SECURITY ALERT: PIease read this important message
As the Technical service of bank have been currently updating the software, we kindly ask you to follow the reference given below to confirm your data, otherwise your access to the system may be bIocked.
PIease foIIow the link below to fill the form "DetaiIs Confirmation":
www.personaI.barcIays.co.uk/goto/pfsoIb_Iogin

Problem is - I dont have a Barclays account, and closer examination of all the message headers reveals its sent to loads of people with similar email addresses to mine.

ITS A SCAM - THEFT - an attempt to get your bank details.

I wouldnt normally bother to distribute warnings like this, but this one looks *very* good.

Warning Barclays. - No Do$h
Made \"Sticky\" for 24 hours, then we will add it to the IHACRQ thread.

FWIW, the website seems to have been disabled so I guess Barclays were on the ball and got it pulled.

No Dosh
Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk

Now moved to Computer Related Questions ND 07:35 28/04/2004
Dead Monitor? - Tim Allcott
I'm checking over a system before passing it on to someone (long story) all was well, but now, on powering up the monitor (Belinea Maxdata, built 1999 with built in speakers) Power light turns on green, tube doesn't start, and, after 10 secs,there is an audible click, and powerlight turns orange.
Is this a simple fix, or a quick trip to the tip?
Tim{P}
Dead Monitor? - frostbite
Sounds like it's going to standby. Certainly worth checking the connections inside the plug - if the logic is expecting a line to go high and it doesn't due to broken joint, then it will go to standby.
Dead Monitor? - Van Driving Man
Also check the connections, leads and output from the PC's video card (have you another monitor lying around?) as the description you give could also be no video signal from the PC.
Dead Monitor? - Tim Allcott
Thanks both. The monitor is now at home, so I've checked it on this PC and it's definitely the monitor! Is the plug not a sealed unit? Would I need to replace the whole data lead to the monitor?
Tim{P}
Dead Monitor? - Civic8
Plugs are sealed now and have been for a long time if the fuse is ok the the data lead would be the next check.I doubt it would be data lead but in most cases the lead is built into the monitor ie only the plug to back of pc exists.I dont know yours so it could well have one.if so you could try a new one see what happens.but normally if monitor fails it will be monitor.especially if tried on another pc.just my thoughts
active x problems - Imagos
HELP....I'm trying to look at a calender on a holiday web site but keep getting the message.

"THIS PAGE PROVIDES POTENTIALLY UNSAFE INFORMATION TO AN ACTIVE X CONTROL. YOUR CURRENT SECURITY SETTINGS PROHIBIT RUNNING CONTROLS IN THIS MANNER. AS A RESULT THIS PAGE MAY NOT DISPLAY PROPERLY."

I have tried TOOLS> INTERNET OPTIONS > SECURITY

AND CUSTOMISED LEVELS .

ALSO ADVANCED AND CHECKED AND UN-CHECKED BOXES.

i have now set all active x and security fields as default with no joy.

anyone help please.

ps it's not the site i've tried it on other pc's with no problems
active x problems - Mark (RLBS)
What's the URL ?

WHat happens if you *TEMPORARILY* set your security to the lowest setting possible, turn off your firewall (if any) and disable any ad-spottign software ?
the url is www.mytravel.co.uk

tried security to low and firewall off still no luck.
active x problems - Mark (RLBS)
Strange. I put my security up to high and it immediately would not display that calender so I;m guessing its security related.

One thing to try on the off-chance is to make sure you have cleared down all your internet temporary files.

Are you using a customer level of security or one of the default levels ?
D'oh!! went to bottom of page on my travel were it says help on here there is a technical isuues page there it tells you if probs with calender you must download latest java plug-in. tried this now all ok! should have looked there first!

thanks for help mark..
Internet Explorer crashing... - Mark (RLBS)
Anybody else suffering from this while reading this site, or just me ?
Internet Explorer crashing... - terryb
I'm okay on XP professional
--
Terry

Internet Explorer crashing... - Dynamic Dave
No probs here.

btw, in case you weren\'t aware, there\'s a computer related thread for these type of questions ;o)

It gave me great pleasure to move this here...... :o) ND
Internet Explorer crashing... - NowWheels
I wouldn't torture myself by using Exploder!

Try a more modern browser such as Opera or Mozilla or the excellent Firefox. They are all faster and more stable than IE, as well as much easier to use, and they they don't have the security holes which plague IE

Firefox: www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
Opera: www.opera.com/download/
Mozilla: www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/download/
Internet Explorer crashing... - Stephen
Yes I agree. I use Firefox on the Mac and find it to be the best browser for that platform. However for the PC, MSoft have extended IE with some neat content management features not present in other browsers and it is a pretty quick browser at that.

Mark's problem I am sure lies with the Flash content in the Volvo ad at the top of the page.

----------------------------------
Stephen Khoo
www.khoosys.net
>>Mark's problem I am sure lies with the Flash content in the Volvo ad at the top of the page.

A pop-up causing problems ? Surely you jest ??

I seem to be in at the moment, but every now and again it just consistently bombs every tiem I try to access.
Internet Explorer crashing... - Stargazer {P}
Volvo ad? what Volvo ad? I just have an AA banner.

(Flash enabled Mozilla on linux box, popups NOT disabled)

I never did see the old volvo ad that everyone complained about.

I only mention this since it occurs that HJ should know if adverts are not visible to readers.

cheers

Ian L.
Internet Explorer crashing... - Van Driving Man
Fine here on IE6.

Have you downloaded any MS patches lately??
Internet Explorer crashing... - borasport20
crashed on me yesterday evening, reading one of DD's posts in the IHAQ thread - (IE6, W98SE). The other browser i had open on another page was not affected, and the problem did not recur when I revisited the same thread in the backroom.

browsing from work at the moment (IE6, XP) - no problem

--
just 'cos I know what I'm saying doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about

Internet Explorer crashing... - Rebecca {P}
Yes a nightmare - but seems to be better now. I was beginning to think I'd been kicked out due to the Girltalk thread!

Phew - freedom of speech continues!
Internet Explorer crashing... - tdiist
Yes, I've had crashes viewing HJ, the BR only. Any other site has been fine. Started yesterday morning. Using Exporer & XP (Work).

Keep up the good work.
boys, boys... - borasport20
will you pleeeeeeze stop moving this thread around when i'm trying to post to it !

'thread does not exist' indeed

boys, boys... - Mapmaker
I was blaming our IT, but yes, keeps on crashing on me (running XP, IE 6.0.2800 etc. etc.
boys, boys... - No Do$h
It's that Mark abusing his moderating powers.

Tsk-tsk.

No Dosh
Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
Internet Explorer crashing... - Stargazer {P}
Just trying from another machine, win2000, IE6.0.2008, no problems at all.

No volvo ad either!

Ian L.
Internet Explorer crashing... - Chad.R
You are not alone! I've had this twice this morning and once yesterday.

(XP Pro, IE 6.0.2800)

Chad.
Internet Explorer crashing... - Myles
Crashing here too. Using IE6 and Windows NT 4.0.

On the subject of other browsers, I'm a recent convert to Safari on Mac, and think it's the dog's.
Internet Explorer crashing... - madf
IE6, W XP Pro, Norton Anti Spam.. no problems.. except on rare ocassion when site is down..:-(

No Op Sytsem crashes with XP Pro - ever..

madf

Internet Explorer crashing... - Vin {P}
Yes, and it's happened about a dozen times today. It only happens on my XP home machine (I'm now working on my W2000 work PC) and it happens immediately I start the site up.

Very annoying indeed

V
Internet Explorer crashing... - Clanger
IE 6 on Windows ME, no probs up here in God's country.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Internet Explorer crashing... - pmh
Yes crashed twicw this am.

IE5.00 Running under W98 SE.

and I thought it was just me!

pmh (was peter)
Internet Explorer crashing... - No Do$h
No problems here. XP Pro and IE6.02800 XPSP2.

What Volvo ad?
I am somewhat concerned that this was happening, admittedly its not now, and today is a very quiet day in the Backroom.

I wonder if its happening to a bunch of others who can't get in here to mention it.
Internet Explorer crashing... - Huss
Mark

It is still happening!

Just lost connection to site twice between 15:50 and 15:55.

It's never happended before.

Huss.....newbie
Internet Explorer crashing... - Chas{P}
No probs here. IE6.0, XP Pro.

However our email server is being bombarded with some new junk that's trying to trash it.

Our IT crew are on to it and will report back....
Internet Explorer crashing... - patpending
No probs here (IE 6)...

shame, I haven't seen that nice Land-Rover thing for a bit, thought I might get one too!

pat
Internet Explorer crashing... - PoloGirl
Blimey...yes - I thought I was going to have to do some actual work this morning as I couldn't get into the site at all.

Happy to say all seems to be working again now!

Internet Explorer crashing... - THe Growler
Yes.

I gave up with Opera and Firefox (took for ever to load). Don't talk to me about XP, it's awful. Slow and not intuitive. Hard to use. I tried it and went back to 98SE.

What I find is when PC-cillin auto-downloads an update, IE6 crashes then. Still I think IE6 is better than the alternatives.

Internet Explorer crashing... - Andrew-T
Standalone Windows 98 (stable) and Explorer. Sometimes whole PC crashes, not while reading, usually when posting. Thought it was problem with broadband. Not sure if it is always on HJ site, but could be. Is there a known problem?
Internet Explorer crashing... - madf
XP Pro easy to use. Even I can! If I as an ignorant Scot (what other type is there?) can surely the English expats can learn ..............:-)

madf

Internet Explorer crashing... - Pugugly {P}
IE6 XP (Home) it crashed - on line reporting declared Flash was at fault.
Same as mine then.

It would appear that the Volvo ad (who'd have guessed) in in Flash 7.0 and something in it is flakey.

I will raise the matter and it will be handled with the normal alacrity.
Internet Explorer crashing... - andymc {P}
My PC locked up earlier this evening, while I was trying to post a reply on another thread. I was also trying to manually check for and update to Norton AV at the same time as posting that reply. At first I was able to highlight & copy the text from the Post Reply screen, but still couldn't paste it anywhere - I tried opening MS Word, then WordPad, then Notepad, then MS Works, but each time I got a message saying the object I was trying to access had been deleted. I even tried opening an existing MS Word document to paste it in there, but that made matters worse - an error message about Winword wouldn't go away even when I hit the ok/close button, nor could I make the CtrlAltDel window appear. Ended up closing everything else (2 IE windows & OutlookExpress), tried to restart but the Start key wouldn't function. Last resort, power off, wait a mo, power on. All seems to work ok now.

Win 98, Office 97, Norton System Utilities/Internet Security/AV, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D. I've also never seen the Volvo ad!
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmmm, doughnuts
"Analysis Information
Thank you for submitting an error report. An error occurred in:
Flash Player
Flash Player was created by Macromedia, Inc.. Please contact Macromedia, Inc. for assistance and troubleshooting information or, to find out if a solution is available. For more information, see the Macromedia, Inc. Web site."

What Microsoft said. Did the IQ test by the way...SWMBO beat me.

Internet Explorer crashing... - Dalglish
"Thank you for submitting an error report. An error occurred in:
Flash Player "

i have been gettting these for a few days now, but not on this site. this happens even though flash is disabled on my pc.

for those of you who may not be aware, there is another issue to investigate. if your ie6 version has had update q835732 recently installed, it may cause problems with cpu usage etc. :

groups.google.com/groups?q=835732&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF...N

www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/28/ms_testing_u-turn.../
Dalglish,

How do I find out whether I have downloaded this update ?

Thanks
Internet Explorer crashing... - Kevin
PU,

Click on 'Help', 'About Internet Explorer'.

It should tell you which updates are installed.

Kevin...
Internet Explorer crashing... - Chad.R
If you click on "Help" and then "About Intenet Explorer", the resulting window should have info about any "Update Versions" that have been deployed.

Chad.
Problems logging in using Opera - Robin
I have Opera 7 on my home PC and IE on the one at work. Last night I could not log in at home. Each time I entered username and password it was rejected and I was sent back to the login screen. I even asked the system to email me my password in case I had got it wrong. Caps key was not pressed and pop-ups were enabled. I have had no problems in the past using Opera. I have logged in this morning with the same registration details as last night using IE.

Any ideas about why this might be?
Problems logging in using Opera - Kuang
What was it you couldn't log into?

Two things to try can be found in the preferences under security - disable the magic wand in case it's got itself in a twist, and make sure everything is enabled under the 'security protocols' button.
StarOffice/OpenOffice.org - Welliesorter
Further to the discussion of StarOffice/OpenOffice.org in an earlier thread, there's an article on the subject at makeashorterlink.com/?O20362A28