Computer related questions Volume 11 - Dynamic Dave

******** Thread now full, see volume 12 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=22142

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 11. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

Password Problems - Mike H
Just got hold of a Dell Optiplex P3 500Mhz second hand, I think it\'s got Windows 98 but I ain\'t got that far! It\'s asking me to enter a password, then either press enter to leave password security enabled or ctrl-enter to disable it.....but I haven\'t got the password. How do I circumvent this & switch password security off - got a feeling I did it years ago on my old IBM but can\'t remember how.
Password Problems - Altea Ego
need to know which password.

Is this the Windows password? (you should see a windows splash screen or indication its loading first)

or

Is this the power on (or hard disk) password - not sure what they look like on dell.

No, it\'s the power on password - which is why I don\'t yet know what OS is loaded.
Disabling a Forgotten Password
If you forget the system password, you will be unable to operate the system or change settings in the System Setup program, respectively, until the password is disabled. Disabling the password involves removing the computer covers and changing a jumper setting (twice) on the system board.

To disable a forgotten password, perform the following steps:

Turn off the computer, and remove the covers.
Remove the jumper plug on the PSWD jumper to disable the password(s).
Turn the computer on.
Powering up the system with the PSWD jumper set to the disabled position erases existing password(s).
Before assigning a new system and/or setup password, reset the PSWD jumper to the enabled position.
Turn the computer off.
Replace the jumper plug to enable the password feature.
Replace the computer cover.
Assign a new system and/or setup password. See Assigning a System Password and

docs.us.dell.com/docs/dta/586XMT/00000032.htm#Disa...g a Forgotten Password
Password Problems - borasport20
RF - you\'re on the ball this morning !

He\'s getting quicker support from you than he would from Dell !

As Maunuel would say (or should that be Anjit at the call centre) \"I learn it from a book\"
Thanks, all sorted. Easy when you know how. Have a virtual pint on me.
IPAQ help - SatNav. - Dave Andrews
IPAQ help

i want an Ipaq for use with a satnav system ive got (ipaq addon, not wireless)
ive seen some cheap deals on ebay but am unsure which model would be best. i only need the ipaq for sat nav and am not fussed with any other functions such as bluetooth, wireless lan etc.

can anyone recommend an ipaq model that would be suitable? do i need a certain about of memory, processor speed etc?

the satnav is a \"navman\" which clips onto the back of an ipaq.

any advice would be appreciated. also if anyone has one of these setups how good are they?

thanks in advance

dave
IPAQ help - SatNav. - Altea Ego
I assume from your post you already have the navman sleve? complete with Smartpath Trip and City software?

Let us know what the model of navman you have and an answer will be forthcoming.
not sure which navman it is? no model number on outside? where would i find this info?

got all the smartpath and city software

thanks
should be small black label on it? Its probably a Navman GPS 500
sorry can that, its a 3300, 3400 or a 3450
got it infront now... all its says is

2-Y-A-65-4823
made in new zealand
gps sensor designed and manufactured for ipaq pocket pc
by navman NZ ltd

navman.com

-------------

it has a sat antenna which has

Re-radiating GPS antenna
model RA45
s/n 4508291

hope this helps. i tried to look on the navman website to track what model it was but was having difficulty.

can any ipaq be used with these? im bit scared of buying one off ebay then finding out it doesnt fit!
p.s. the unit is about 2 years old
Right, dont know what it is then. Plug in card or a sleeve with an aerial on top? Describe it. Have a look here www.pocketgps.co.uk/ to see if you can see it- lots of useful info on this site.

Sounds to me like you have a separate re rediating antenna, magnetic plastic blob with a car power plug and a rubber pencil on the end? This is for use on cars with reflective windscreens.

looks like this one
cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...g

"Sounds to me like you have a separate re rediating antenna, magnetic plastic blob with a car power plug and a rubber pencil on the end? This is for use on cars with reflective windscreens.
" - yes

cheers
apparently the model i *think* ive got only works with the 3600,3700,3800,3900 Ipaq's

do you know if any of the other models fit, and are all Ipaq's the same size - in order to fit accesories?
IPAQ help - SatNav. - Mark (RLBS)
>>and are all Ipaq\'s the same size

Pretty much the same size. However, frequently with different sockets in different places.

Also, some are not supported by some.

e.g. the GPRS/GSM Backpack physically fits the 3\'s and the 5\'s. But its flakey on all the 5\'s and flat out doesn\'t work on the 5550.

So it depends exactly which accessories you\'re talking of.

What you really need is No Dosh since I believe he\'s got exactly the set up that you\'re looking for. He\'s not around right now; Dave says he\'s out on Bournemouth Beach in his deck chair with the other pensioners; but he\'ll be around later.

{\"Dave says he\'s out on Bournemouth Beach\" Not quite what I said, but close enough. DD}

Mandrake Linux help please - Pezzer
I recently installed Mandrake Linux Community 10 as a result of reading various posts on the subject here. Everything is up and running ok and I am starting to find my way around.
However despite various Googles and Forum searches I cant find out how I alter my wireless card settings eg SSID, WEP etc.
I think Mandrake is detecting my wireless card and everything works ok when I use a wired connection,but SWMBO is less than amused with the cable stretching across the house (especially as I had convinced her that the wireless router was 'essential' and would get rid of all those wires). I'm sure it will be a command line instruction but all the forums I look at are a bit over my head and seem to assume a basic level of knowledge. Any advice would be greatly appreciated along with any suggestions of reading material to get me up to speed. Many thanks in advance P

(PS I seem to have 'lost' my first attempt at this so apologies if turns out to be a dupplicate)
Mandrake Linux help please - Altea Ego
Ah well as I said in the same posts you read, some tinkering in command line level and some technical knowledge is required. Linux is not yet (by about 18 months to two years) ready for widespread home use.

here is a possible workround

"Getting wireless cards to work with Linux can be tricky as some manufacturers refuse to release Linux drivers. You can get around this by using a "wrapper" found here, which allows you to use the Windows driver. The wrapper tricks the driver into thinking it is on a Windows machine.
For those who have Centrino Wireless technology, you can obtain a "wrapper" here. Intel has not released a Linux driver for it. If you use a "wrapper", you will also need to download the appropriate Windows wireless card driver."

The wrapper is here
ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

get used to much delving into the various newsgroups and FAQ's

Mandrake Linux help please - Phil I
RFP speaks truth "get used to delving into various forums and help pages"

You will find this one v.useful

pclinux.org/

Do not forget Community is right on the edge of the bleeding edge so you must expect to find a few rough edges there. Do not get disheartened though. It is worth the effort just to get away from the virus (virii?) that go along with MS oS.

Happy Browsing with Firebird/Opera/ u name it theres a lot of em!!

Phil I.
Mandrake Linux help please - bartycrouch
Can you give some details on the setup, wireless card etc?
Mandrake Linux help please - Pezzer

These are the details of my card from Harddrake :

Vendor: Broadcom Corporation

Bus: PCI

Bus identification: 14e4:4320:1799:7000

Location on the bus:0:b:0

Description: BCM94306 802.11g NIC

Module: unknown

Media class: NETWORK_OTHER

It is a Belkin 54g card and corresponding Belkin 54g router. Had assumed that it had detected the card and therefore I needed to configure the settings.

Thanks for the replies.
Mandrake Linux help please - Welliesorter
I have Mandrake 10.0 Community. I don't have anything as exotic as a wireless network so I can't really help you with your specific problem, except to suggest that you try posting in the alt.os.linux.mandrake newsgroup, having first searched its archive at groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en .

People there are usually pretty helpful as long as you post your question intelligently and provide plenty of info about your setup.

Don't forget that the Community version isn't the final release of 10.0. It's effectively a public release candidate. There have been literally hundreds of updates issued since it was released. The Official version (the one that'll appear in shrink wrapped boxes) is more recent but only currently available for download to Mandrake Club members.

Mandrake Linux help please - Baskerville
I'm afraid you're not in luck with that card--yet. As far as I know there are no "finished" Linux drivers for 54g. To compound the problem Belkin are among the least helpful companies when it comes to releasing information about their chipsets and/or providing drivers. You should be able to get it working with the wrapper though, with a bit of hassle. Your best bet may be to source a cheap card with the Prism2 chipset. Take a look at the following page for Linux-compatible cards:

www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz

I picked up an SMC card with that chipset that works very well (no wrappers or extra drivers required) in Linux for GBP14, so it shouldn't be a major expense. The 11b cards are starting to phase out now so there are deals: Netgear, Linksys and SMC are generally Linux friendly since most of their products use Linux-based firmware. Having said that, reverse engineered drivers will be along very soon; and companies like HP are increasingly pushing Linux too, so proprietary drivers for these things won't be long either. Anyway, given that 11mbps is far, far faster than the broadband pipe my network is connected to, I don't care.

Incidentally, if you download the updates, Mandrake 10 Community magically becomes "final."

Enjoy.
Mandrake Linux help please - Welliesorter
ChrisR,

which Mandrake Update site are you using? There have been issues with some update mirrors lately.

Mandrake Linux help please - Baskerville
Welliesorter

As far as I know somebody lashed up the move to new mirrors but it's all well now. The last time I updated (last week) I just took the first one on the list and it worked fine, but I'm using Mepis most of the time for work these days as I find having a lot of different software options useful and it seems to give better wireless range than Mandrake for some reason. I'm also finding the Debian package management system more user friendly. There are currently four operating systems on our household leisure PC and I can't decide which one I like best.

Chris
Mandrake Linux help please - bartycrouch
From the link below it looks like you may have a chance and Mandrake 10 is supposed to have it already (not sure if this relates to the "community" version - I am still on 9.1 as my main distro and very happy.

ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/supported_chipsets.html

Best of luck!
New virus/worm: Sasser / Sasser B - Van Driving Man
This one has made the news this morning, and some AV sites say it is spreading fast, so it may be worth ensuring your firewall, AV software, and Windows Updates are all up to speed. Win2000, WinXP, Win Server 2003 are the affected O/S's.

The worm repeatedly restarts the PC, but has no other malicious payload.

This worm is not spread by email, but vulnerable PCs are scanned and infected where possible, exploiting a MS security flaw which was announced 18 days ago. A properly configured firewall should protect your PC, as should installation of the MS Security Patch.

More details and removal instructions at: securityresponse.symantec.com/

New virus/worm: Sasser / Sasser B - Civic8
That tells me why I`ve had 4 updates in 24 hours from Avast.
Microsoft Auto Updates - BobbyG
I keep getting automatic update notification from MS telling me that there are updates available.
But when I click on it, it is the same update that, according to my history, I have installed several times over!
It is 817787 Security pdate Windows Media Player 7.1

Why does it keep telling me to update this?
Microsoft Auto Updates - Civic8
Search for Go > > > > > October 2003, Flaw in Windows Media Player Skins Downloading could allow Code Execution (QFE 817787) October 2003, Flaw in Windows Media Player Skins Downloading could allow Code Execution (817787) A critical update has been issued for Windows XP

I have had the update as well or should I say more than once.flaws are being found all the time but as long as it comes from M/soft and no one else wouldnt worry.
Which type of mouse mat? - L'escargot
If I use a mat having a hardish surface, the mouse ball tends to skid and not rotate. If I use a soft surface mat, the surface soon starts to peel off. What's the solution?
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Which type of mouse mat? - Pezzer
L'escargot, simple get an optical mouse they are not expensive and then you dont need a mouse mat at all because they work on most surfaces, also they dont get clagged up like the standard ones.
Which type of mouse mat? - smokie
Better still, a rechargeable optical then you can do away with the cable hanging out of the back.

Mine is a Packard Bell from PC World some years back. The mouse sits on a cradle (which incorporates the receiver) to get recharged, rather than having to swap batteries around.
Which type of mouse mat? - Mark (RLBS)
Use the hard mouse mat and fairly frequently clean the ball. I don't mean just the wheels, I mean the ball itself. Bluetack is a pretty good way of doing it.
Which type of mouse mat? - Kuang
Dropping the ball into hot water, giving it a few minutes to soak and then rubbing it with a clean cloth works wonders too - the rubber softens and releases the dirt far easier.
Which type of mouse mat? - Dwight Van Driver
If your taking the ball out then look inside at the two bars which run NS EW. At the point where the ball hits them they pick up a residue of fluff and gung so clean them as well.

DVD
Which type of mouse mat? - Pugugly {P}
Buy yourself an optical one..
Which type of mouse mat? - Altea Ego
all together now

buy an optical mouse.....
Which type of mouse mat? - Civic8
If you get the optical mouse you wont need to worry about surface.I have used mine on hardwood shelf glass overlay works fine.
Virus Warning - hillman
Backroomers, Virus warning!
Has anybody met the SASSER virus? It apparently stalks the internet looking for vulnerable computers. When it finds one it downloads into the hard drive, crashes the computer, reboots it, crashes again and reboots adnauseam. It is recommended not to stay on the internet more than 5 to 7 minutes.

Thank you, I?m off.

I\'ll leave this here for 24 hours, then move it to the appropriate computer questions thread. ND.
Virus Warning - No Do$h
Info on the virus and how to protect against it here:

www.updatexp.com/sasser-worm.html

If you have run Windows Update since 14 April you will be fine. If not, suggest you nip over to MS asap for your weekly snoop at the updates.

ND
Virus Warning - Altea Ego
"Thank you, I?m off."

Get a firewall (ie zone alarm www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/zn...n )

and then come back and join us other protected persons.

Virus Warning - Pugugly {P}
Does anybody know the update serial number..?
Virus Warning - Dwight Van Driver
PU

Did mine 14.4. for Windows ME

Critical Update for I/Expl 6 Service Pack KB831167

Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Exp 6 Service Pack 1 KB837009

Does this help?
DVD
Virus Warning - DavidHM
Windows XP SP2 Beta RC1 - KB838909 on 16.04.2004
wooooooa XP service pack 2 is a release candidate in beta only, not yet due for escape in the public domain, take care if you choose this route as the real SP2 may not load up on release.
Virus Warning - DavidHM
Panic not, RF... it's a real SP2 from Microsoft, as it's now in public beta.
and you will see in the read me that being beta code it has to be taken off before the real SP2 (now delayed for release much later in the year) can be put back on.
Virus Warning - Civic8
are network-aware worms that do not require e-mail or user interaction to spread. Sasser takes advantage of a buffer-overrun flaw in the Local Security Authority Subsystem (LSASS), which allows an attacker to gain control of infected systems. Microsoft patched the flow with MS04-011on April 13. The worms use a bootstrap effect to infect new machines first then download the full code from a previously infected machine later. Sasser (w32.sasser.a) and Sasser.b (w32.sasser.b) are both 15,872 bytes in length and randomly scans local networks and the Internet to look for additional systems to infect. This scanning could slow normal traffic on the Internet.

Vulnerable systems include Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 that have not installed the Microsoft Security Bulletin patch MS04-011, and are not running desktop firewall software. Sasser does not affect any other version of Windows, nor Linux, Unix, Mac OS, or any other operating system.

Microsoft has created a special page on how to prevent a Sasser infection. Basically, a desktop firewall should protect vulnerable systems until the Microsoft security patch can be downloaded. If you do not have a personal firewall, you should install one first to limit the affects of the Sasser worm. The Microsoft security patch MS04-011 is available .A message I had
Thanks one and all....updates had been installed on auto-update.
"Numerous virus writers are spreading a "clean up" and "prevention tool" for this virus by email, which is of course nothing of the sort, but is actually one of a series of viruses instead. Please do not use email attachments to act as Antivirus, official virus protection software or tools from the web sites of recognised Antivirus companies/Microsoft should be the only trusted sources. Due to the possibility of spoofed links do not use links embedded in emails to visit AV websites, use links provided by installed antivirus software or manual entry of the addresses into the Internet Browser to visit the sites concerned"

Evesham - thanking them for the warning and passing it on.(hope they don't mind)
OE links not working - frostbite
I have just discovered that any links sent by email do not work from within Outlook Express - I'm sure they did previously.

There is some brief HD activity when I click on them, but nothing happens.

Could this be petulant MS software responding to my exclusive use of Firefox? Even so, why wouldn't it start up Explorer?
OE links not working - J Bonington Jagworth
"petulant MS software"

LOL! More likely a petulant virus, though. I love Firefox - it makes even Opera seem a bit clunky - and it may be that you've got something like Sasser that scuppers OE and IE. You have to be using Win2k or XP for it to affect you (a good reason for using good ol' Win98 IMHO), but if you are, there's a quick fix at:

securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w...l

The rub for IE users with Sasser is that they won't be able to download it, of course... :-(
OE links not working - frostbite
Thanks. I solved the problem by running IE up before I clicked on the link (W98 btw).

The problem was caused by changing my email address and attempting to change the info with Paypal. They sent me a mail with a 'click here to activate' button instead of a url I could have c&p'd.

Only another 8 sites to go........
IE still crashing... - Mapmaker
... on this site. Haven't noticed it elsewhere.
IE still crashing... - Mark (RLBS)
blocking pop-ups can prevent additional windows appearing.

Sometimes, depending on the site/product, clicking a link will automatically generate an extra window (as this site does) which will then be blocked.
adverts popping-up on xp desktop!! - billy25
morning all,
my friend has just bought a computer, 2.5ghz,80mb h/d, and 512megs mem, running windows xp. the last week he says he has started getting "ads" popping-up on his desktop.
being slightly unfamiliar with xp, i suggested that he download zonealarm,spy-bot, and ad-aware etc, which he says he has done. however, when he tries to install zonealarm he gets the error message "this is not a valid windows installation". i believe that there is a feature on xp that allows you to "turn back" the registry to an earlier time, so if i was to reset it to the day of purchase, would this cure his problems?
any help greatly appreciated, thanks.

billy.
adverts popping-up on xp desktop!! - Welliesorter
What form do the ads take? Are they in the form of Messenger Service boxes or are they small web pages, similar to the pop ads you get on certain web sites?

I've seen both on the same unpatched XP machine. If they're Messenger Service boxes, the advertisers are exploiting a feature called the Windows Messenger Service (not to be confused with Windows or MSN Messenger). This is intended as a quick and easy way of sending messages to users on a network but spammers have discovered a loophole that enables them to send messages to anyone on the internet with a vulnerable PC. A firewall, even if it's only the built-in XP one, should prevent them. It's also a good idea to disable the Messenger Service itself. See makeashorterlink.com/?G23525244 for information on this.

If the ads take the form of web pop-ups and aren't associated with the web pages your friend is visiting, the browser has probably been infected with some form of hijacker. AdAware or Sybot Search and Destroy (www.safer-networking.org - beware of similarly named imitations) should take care of that. They're free so you may as well have both. Using a browser other than Internet Explorer would also help, partly because these hijackers target IE, but also because most other browsers now have built in pop-up blockers. My preference is for Mozilla Firefox.

I'm afraid I don't know the reason for the ZoneAlarm problem. I used it for several years without problems. I'm now using Kerio Personal Firewall. Like ZoneAlarm, it has a free version that's good enough for the average user but it's not quite as easy to set up.

Yes, Windows XP does enable you to roll back the system to an earlier date, provided that System Restore is enabled. By default you'll find this under Programs - Accessories - System Tools. It can be a useful way of rescuing you from problems but bear in mind that it'll have the effect of removing any programs installed since the date of your chosen restore point.

thanks welliesorter,
the machine is only a fortnight old, and according to him, he has not installed anything on it yet,it's only been used on the net. i haven't seen the machine yet, so at this point i have no idea what form the "ads" are taking, or how he has his firewall set up etc (apparently it came with the "norton" suite installed, firewall, a/v,and utilities). i'm supposed to be going around on monday to see if i can help him out at all, so until then i wont have much more info,but thanks for the feelers. i think i will disable the messenger service anyway,cos i can't see him needing it. as it is in factory condition as far as installations go, i cant see it causing any probs as far as rolling the registry back. do you think that zonealarm is a better firewall than norton, if so should i disable norton or remove it prior to setting the zonealarm up for him.

many thanks,
billy.
If the machine is only a fortnight old, and hasn't had anything new installed, then I'd definitely try System Restore, provided that there's a suitable restore point available. Once that's done I'd go to the Windows Update site and install all the updates, especially those marked as 'critical'. If this has never been done before, you'll be shocked at the number of updates available.

I'm afraid I have no experience of the Norton firewall but would probably leave it in place, rather than bothering with the free alternative, if I found it pre-installed on a new PC. Just make sure that Norton and the built in XP firewall are enabled.

The advice on updates also applies to the Norton software. You need to run the Live Update feature regularly. This is especially important with virus definitions.

One pitfall to watch out for is that the version of Norton Antivirus supplied with new PCs only qualifies for three months of free updates. Although the software nags you to buy a subscription, many don't bother. I've known several people to get something nasty because their copy of Norton hasn't been updated after the initial three months.

If your friend is too tight to pay for the continued subscription (I was last time mine expired) there are freebie AV programs, of which AVG is the best known.

manythanks,welliesorter, advice noted and taken.
i will see whats happening on monday, and may well be picking your brains again!!
thankyou for now,
billy.
adverts popping-up on xp desktop!! - Mark (RLBS)
Don't panic too much, if its a new machine it may well just be the stuff encouraging you to take one ISP or another, this virus checker or another, and all the other stuff which is loaded on a machine when you buy it.

If it is that, it dries up pretty quickly.
adverts popping-up on xp desktop!! - Baskerville
>the machine is only a fortnight old, and according to him, he has not installed anything on it yet,it's only been used on the net

What do you mean only been used on the net? That's about the most dangerous thing you can do with a new machine, since new machines don't come with the patches installed. It is something of a scandal that this is so when Microsoft makes such a show of being concerned with security. Has he downloaded all the updates, service packs, patches, and sticking plasters to cover its gaping wounds? If not the machine will have been infected almost as soon as an Internet connection was established. It could take several hours of downloading even with broadband to patch it.
unfortunately chrisR, i wouldn't think he will have done,he'll just have plugged in and gone surfin,i'll try and put them on for him on monday, but as you say it may be too late,and several hours work may be needed. as i said earlier, i'm unfamiliar with xp, but i know where to come for good advice if we get stuck!! keep a watch on this thread mon-thursday next week :-)
thanks all,
billy.
adverts popping-up on xp desktop!! - smokie
You may find that the PC was supplied with a "factory image" on CD.

If you are in any doubt about the state of the system, you might be better to go back to that rather than try to use system restore. I'm no expert on Restore points but I think they are usually taken either manually or during certain software installs, so you may have no restore point to go back to anyway.

When setting up a friend's new computer a month or so back, I'd finished the XP install and connected to his broadband to download the M$ patches and virus updates. I was bombarded with virii each time. I'd get a couple of minutes activity complete (eg queue the M$ patches) then get rebooted. I ended up downloading the (many) patches virtually one by one, starting with teh one which cured Blaster last year.
adverts popping-up on xp desktop!! - J Bonington Jagworth
"It could take several hours of downloading even with broadband to patch it."

Indeed - which is why even people who know to do it sometimes don't bother. It could take days using dial-up!

I've been using Windows 98 since it came out, and see no reason to 'upgrade'. 98 was scheduled for extinction (i.e. no more factory support) from last January, but M$ was so worried that users might switch to something else that would operate on existing hardware (like Linux) they have promised to support 98 until 2006.

I use Linux too, but it's not for everyone - yet.
adverts popping-up on xp desktop!! - Civic8
When you say just bought do you mean new.or is it secondhand.before you say anymore would suggest looking at it first.I have doubts registry will do any good but if you do roll it.back it up.before doing so.not having read the other posts may be late here.on any installation of XP updates should be had as soon as connected to internet.including any virus updates.firewall.Messenger can be a prob as it isnt to do with M/S.and if updates arent obtained messages will get through.not so much a prob after.least I didnt find it to be.it is now disabled
I didnt read your first post.When you get a new Pc it is preinstalled with XP.but after up and running (ps not certain of some makes)you have to basicaly register either by phone or by internet.cant remember what its called.what happens or should with new pc XP takes system inventory and sends this to microsoft.in turn pc gets confirmation it is a genuine XP not a copied version.if this has not been done some software wont install as they search for this confirmation code.and it is always best to download the updates as soon as able.if not you can order the CD from microsoft.When I got my first pc with XP I had same problem.if you want an anti virus thats good/free try www.avast.com and install home edition it works very well.Using system restore wont cure the prob.But then I may be wrong
adverts popping-up on xp desktop!! - J Bonington Jagworth
"www.avast.com"

Thanks for that! I've been using AVG, which I quite like, but it's useful to have an alternative.

Pleased to hear today that the writer of the Sasser virus has been caught. Perhaps if they put him to a firing squad, it might give the others pause for thought...
Pleased to hear today that the writer of the Sasser virus
has been caught. Perhaps if they put him to a firing squad,
it might give the others pause for thought...

I get the impression it gives them a buzz ie who can do the most damage.firing squad too good?

A usefull feature of avast it can be used as screensaver so it scans while your away from pc.not had that with others
adverts popping-up on xp desktop!! - L'escargot
I installed the Google toolbar which blocks the vast majority of ads, and to deal with messages I set my privacy level to block their cookies individually.

Am I being naive in thinking that it's this simple?
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
adverts popping-up on xp desktop!! - Mark (RLBS)
It mostly is that simple. But don't forget that the large part what you are doing is stopping adverts.

Ideally you would also have a virus scanner, firewall and something to block the smarter advert software.

All pretty easy to install.

Personally I like Panda for Virus, Zone Alarm for firewall and Ad-Aware for the rest.
It mostly is that simple. But don't forget that the large
part what you are doing is stopping adverts.

I suspect the original problem related not to legitimate ads but to either Messenger Service spam or one of the many Internet Explorere hijackers.

I know it's been mentioned here previously, but there are privacy concerns with the Google toolbar.
TVR Software - SteveH42
No, not motoring related as you might think! Can anyone recommend some decent TVR software to use with my Tevion (Aldi) TV capture card? The software that comes with it is good in terms of functionality but is terribly unreliable - I've had it hang when it starts recording or when the system comes out of hibernation and it often 'loses' settings, often resulting in missing audio. The software supplied is by Honestech. Someone at work recommended Nandub but that seems a right pain to set up so if anyone knows of anything easy and reliable it would be most appreciate. Then all I'd need is something to change channel on the NTL box and I'd really be sorted. :)
TVR Software - John R @ Work {P}
Steve,
The Tevion card (as supplied recently by Aldi) has a Philips chipset so Chris TV software should be OK with it.
www.chris-tv.com/index.html

Also Show Shifter (a basic (simple not language)copy of SS was on a Windows XP mag not too long ago.

also see www.tv-cards.com/

John R
TVR Software - Civic8
As a matter of interest do you run Xp if so the page file size or virtual memmory I think is preset to 180 meg.This on some software causes probs.ie VM is not large enough to transfer recordings ie hanging.but this also is dependant on base mem as well.only say this as I have had probs with very large photos.if you have changed this setting then appologise.
TVR Software - SteveH42
I do run XP (Pro) but have successfully recorded files up to 14GB - it seems to be mainly when walking up from Hibernate mode that it doesn't work. I did try the MS MPEG4 codec which crashed as well but I find that MPEG2 gives better results with ice hockey as well, mainly because the software I have allows you to up the bit-rate which it doesn't on MPEG4.
Avert Banners - Hotmail. - THe Growler
I have asked this before but I didn\'t get anywhere. Why do I banners in violent colours occuping half the page in Hotmail telling me in Polish I can apply for a US Green Card? Worse they flash on and off blindingly.

Growlette\'s Hotmail is Philippines-oriented as should mine be. Hotmail help is worse than useless.

Someone help me out here.
Avert Banners - Hotmail. - THe Growler
As you were, Corporal, as you were. Stand at ease. My clever and insightful partner jus showed me.......
Vinyl to CD Recording - Nsar
I'd like to record some of my vinyl collection to CD via my PC (rather than fork out for new CDs). I've found a couple of sites which talk me through doing it by downloading an Adobe programme and connecting into my sound card, but I'm a strictly plug and play sort of chap and would have no idea how to do this last bit. Does a gizmo exist which would allow me to hook up my turntable into the back of my PC - I'm running XP Pro. I've looked on the Maplin site but can't spot anything.
Cheers
Vinyl to CD Recording - Mark (RLBS)
What type are the output sockets on the turntable ? Actually you'd be better plugging it into your amp. What outputs does that have ?
Vinyl to CD Recording - Altea Ego
Hate to disagree with mark but unless your amp has "line level" outputs then the output level will be too high and overdrive the input of any PC sound card.

Your deck probably comes with phono plugs. Sound cards come with jack plugs. You will need a phono to stereo jack plug conversion cable. Choose your recording program of choice, most enable the use of features to reduce clicks. Record your files and cut to cd. If you record one side of an album in one go then it will be one big track on CD unless you use the program to cut it into seperate audio files.

Your turntable needs to have a ceramic cartridge, if it has a magnetic cartridge it will need to have a pre-amp.
Vinyl to CD Recording - SteveH42
Going though an amp will be easiest - as well as having a preamp, they also have a filter that restores the correct frequency response - Vinyl does not record in a linear manner. You can of course do the necessary processing on the PC but it's easier to just record a straight signal and be done.

The easiest way to get sound from an amp is to use the tape loop - the Rec Out will be line level. Of course, if you have other line outs they will work just as well.
Vinyl to CD Recording - Civic8
I think we need to know what cartridge you have fitted to the deck.RF was right as in type of cartridge magnetic is lower output but better sound.connections arent always the same so a description of connections would be helpful ie some decks use a cable that connect direct to amp others have phono sockets on back of deck which you need a cable to connect to the amp? sorry to confuse?
Vinyl to CD Recording - smokie
My mate started downloading his vinyl onto MP3s. He has a lot of vinyl and used some very sophisticated hardware and software to remove the hiss and scratches.

About half way through he project he realised it would be a lot less effort and give a better result if he were to download the items...
You need a conversion program to do that.unless the program used included wave to mp3 conversion.broadband is the only fast way to do it.as a matter of interest downloading the music apart from the legal side.still needs checking for viruses.but beware it is a minefield out there many files are not what they say.So you could well download porn rather than what you actually want.so I would stick to doing it the hard way.having said that it wont take long to convert wave to mp3`s.will depend on pc
Vinyl to CD Recording - Welliesorter
My mate started downloading his vinyl onto MP3s.

Anyone considering this needs to realise that MP3s use lossy compression. This means the sound quality won't be as good as the original. To keep the quality, you need to use an uncompressed format such as wav.

There's nothing wrong with MP3, it's just important to recognise that the loss of quality is irreversible.

Sorry would dissagree on that.MP3 comes from as I recall MPEG 2.please correct if wrong.mp3 actually cuts out frequencys that we cannot hear.so cutting down on the size of the record.loss of quality wont come into it.Bearing in mind it is digital.
mp3 actually cuts out frequencys that we cannot
hear.so cutting down on the size of the record.loss of quality
wont come into it.

It's a bit like jpeg for pictures. It's good enough for most people and for most purposes. You're right in saying that it works by throwing away the frequencies that we can't hear but how successfully it does this depends on the level of compression. As with jpeg, there's a trade-off between file size and quality: the bigger the file the lower the level of compression and the higher the quality.

As an experiment, try encoding MP3s at very high and very low bit rates (another plug for the free CDex from cdexos.sourceforge.net ). You will notice the difference.

I use MP3 in my car or to listen to music at my PC and I'm perfectly happy with the quality but it's still not going to be quite as good as the original CD. Using a bitrate of 160 kbps is enough to fool my uncritical ears but I know someone who claims that he can hear the difference and has stopped using MP3 on his car player because it's not good enough. He is something of a car audio anorak though.
Vinyl to CD Recording - Baskerville
>actually cuts out frequencys that we cannot hear.so cutting down on the size of the record.loss of quality wont come into it.

All sounds are a combination of frequencies, many of which we can't hear on their own but will affect the overall quality of the sound. Recording in MP3 format is a bit like not adding salt to your bag of chips. They are still chips but not quite as good. This will be more noticeable if you have a good musical ear and/or good quality playback equipment.
We posted at the same minute!

Just to clarify, you can convert MP3 to wav (I'd recommend CDex for converting in both directions and for ripping CDs) but you'll still have the loss of quality associated with the original MP3 compression.

Having said that, provided that MP3s are at a reasonably high bitrate, I'd rather live with the effects of compression than the crackle and pop of vinyl. I sold my turntable 17 years ago and can't bring myself to get nostalgic about the big black discs.

You don't need to do the conversion to create an audio CD from MP3s. Most CD creation software (eg Nero) will do it for you.
Vinyl to CD Recording - Kuang
This might not be entirely relevant, but Richer Sounds actually sell a fairly decent turntable with a built-in digital output stage for that very purpose.
Vinyl to CD Recording - Nsar
Nice one Kuang, my brain was starting to hurt after all that info above. I suppose the other option is to join my local library as much of what I want to convert is mainstream stuff anyway that will be there on CD - my more esoteric stuff may have to remain the domain of late night, headphones and a bottle of wine territory.
Thanks for all the replies, it's good to know how much you don't about how stuff works.