Number plate styles - Richard Hall
Does anyone know what the true situation is with the new style number plates? I received a leaflet from DVLA which states that the new typeface will apply to the plates of vehicles registered from 1 September 2001 and to all replacement plates issued from that date. Presumably this means that if you break a number plate and go to Halfords for a new one, the replacement has to be in the new typeface. Fair enough except:

1. Pre 1973 cars were previously allowed to use silver on black number plates. Does this concession still apply, and are you allowed to use the old typeface if you have replacement silver on black plates made?

2. Post 1973 classic cars - if you have just finished restoring, say, a 1974 Triumph TR6, do you have to use the new style lettering, which will look as much out of period as reflective plates on a Jowett Javelin.

3. Is it now illegal to sell reflective plates with the old style lettering?

And I wonder why they changed the typeface anyway. The leaflet states it is to make it 'easier for number plates to be read'. I suspect that the words the DVLA missed out on the end of that sentence are 'by speed cameras'.
Re: Number plate styles - Andy
What happens when you only replace one number plate which has broken? Are you left with one old-style and one new-style number plate? Sexy...!!!
Re: Number plate styles - John Slaughter
This one came up in Practical Classics a while back. It seems that from Sept 2001 only vehicles built (not just registered) up to end 1972 can still use Black on White plates. (ie free tax = black on white plates) There is a change here as the allowance for black on white plates has been pulled back from end 1973, so a few '73 cars are apparently required to have a plate change to reflective.

The lettering style now used isn't that different from that previously in use, so this isn't a great problem. Whether the older larger size used pre '63 is still acceptable I don't know, but I assume so. I don't intend to get new plates for my Minor!

Regards

john
Re: Number plate styles - Ian Aspinall
I believe American and other imported cars whose number plate surrounds are designed to take a small square motorbike-style plate are also exempt.

In answer to Andy's question, yes. I saw a car like that the other day - most odd.
Re: Number plate styles - Nick Ireland
Slightly "off Thread" but I was just in an accessory shop and they say that they will not now make up plates without a V5 and proof of identity. Is this a way to cut out the number plate cloning people? Sign in the shop said that it was a requirement wef 1st September 2001.
Re: Number plate styles - Dan J
Nick Ireland wrote:
Slightly "off Thread" but I was just in an accessory shop and they say that they will not now make up plates without a V5 and proof of identity. Is this a way to cut out the number plate cloning people? Sign in the shop said that it was a requirement wef 1st September 2001.

In a word, yes!
Re: Number plate styles - John Kenyon
Nick Ireland wrote:
>
> Slightly "off Thread" but I was just in an accessory shop and
> they say that they will not now make up plates without a V5
> and proof of identity. Is this a way to cut out the number
> plate cloning people? Sign in the shop said that it was a
> requirement wef 1st September 2001.

Yes.
See Part 2 of the Vehicles (Crime) Act 2001 at
www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts2001/20010003...m

The rules regarding registration marks can be found at
The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001
www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2001/20010561.htm

/john
Re: Number plate styles - Andrew Barnes
Interesting, I bought a pair of new plates (for my import) in the new format from Halfords, no questions asked!

Andrew
Re: Number plate styles - Kev
Yeah, it also wont stop bent small shop keepers not asking any questions for a few quid extra will it?
Kev

P.S I still think the best way of number plates is to register the drivers rather than the vehicle, which could then be put on your driving licence. Therefore quick and easy check to see if the registered driver is driver his/her car. Not quite worked out how it would work for joint owners, hmmm
Re: Number plate styles - Brian
Does that mean that caravan and trailer shops can no longer supply the sticky yellow backings and letters to make up yourself?
Re: Number plate styles - Andy
A visit to the 'drive the flag' site might be interesting. Try www.drivetheflag.org.uk
Andy.