The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 21 - Dynamic Dave

**** THREAD CLOSED, PLEASE CONTINUE DISCUSSION IN

"The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 22" ****

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=22716

For the continued discussion of all things pertaining to Speed Cameras.

Volume Twenty filled up.

This is Volume 21, 20 is closed but can be viewed here:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20856

There is no need to repeat anything since earlier volumes will not be deleted, although I am quite sure that this will not stop you.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18846

The Speed Camera Thread XXI - Dynamic Dave

Following on from the conversation in the cats eyes thread about speed cameras being mounted in cats eyes....

Hi-tech speed cameras hidden on Scots M-way

"CAT'S eyes that can clock your speed, read your number plate and check your TYRES have been fitted on a Scots motorway.

The Government claim the hi-tech spies won't be used to fine drivers.

But if the cat's eye cameras catch you speeding, they can send your car's number to an electronic road sign that will flash it up for everyone to see."

Rest of the report here:- snipurl.com/5w2k

The Speed Camera Thread XXI - martint123
Maybe a more balanced view than the paranoid press??

www.theregister.com/2004/04/22/transport_tech/

The Speed Camera Thread XXI - Van Driving Man
Two new 'Truvelo' style cameras were installed on a stretch of road near here recently.

Driving (at precisely 40mph m'lud!) past them today I noted that the lens on both camreas appeared opaque - like a white filter over the lens - but more noticeably, nowhere around the cameras was there any sign of in-road sensors or ANY work on the road to install same.

Do the latest Truvelos not need the sensors that the older versions have, or do these cameras sound non-operational (albeit perhaps temporarily) ?
The Speed Camera Thread XXI - patently
They could be infra-red - I think this distinguishes muddy number plates better and copes with headlights.

Might be wrong, though.
The Speed Camera Thread XXI - Adam {P}
Don't they have a magenta filter on so as not to blind the driver thus causing an accident thus rendering speed cameras usele....sorry - ran away with myself there.
--
"Ah...beer - my only weakness - my achilles heel if you will"
The Speed Camera Thread XXI - Van Driving Man
I did think about the 'opaque' lens covers being IR filters, but I am still puzzled about the lack of any road sensors.
Well - I would guess that either a) Dummies or b) not got around to setting the strips into the road. Similar case outside uni (see Barrier thread!) Gatso outside but no lines on road. Camera just appeared one day!
--
"Ah...beer - my only weakness - my achilles heel if you will"
The Speed Camera Thread XXI - Dave Andrews
couple of Truvelo cameras have appeared on the Belfry road in the Midlands. can anyone answer the following...

why are the cameras forward facing in order to catch the front number plate of a vehicle - as motorbikes dont have number plates on the front then they will only ever catch cars.
this seems unfair to car drivers. any views? and is this legal?
The Speed Camera Thread XXI - Deryck Tintagel
Just been that way this afternoon. I think that the one near the Belfry on the north-bound carriageway is a GATSO and the other close to Bassetts Pole is a Truvelo.

I don't think that SPECS are on the M42 as there are a few GATSOs clearly visible.
The Speed Camera Thread XXI - teabelly
With the dft's announcement yesterday that average speeds on roads have increased does anyone think that this is a cynical ploy to justify the existing policy and toughen it up as the fatality figures for 2003 are about to show a rise for the first time in aeons (current estimates are around the 5-6% mark up on 2002) More interestingly will the dft use the regression to the mean argument and claim it's just a blip ;-)
teabelly
Road Angel - Dave Andrews
hi has anyone had experience of using the Road Angel camera detection system? Thinking about purchasing one. Your views appreciated.

thanks

dave
Road Angel - Dynamic Dave
Obviously there might be some fresh views on this, but to be going on with, if you goto Forum search (just under where you log in out.)

Enter "Road Angel" (with the quotes) into the subject box. For example:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=20...4

{ps, At some later point, this will move to one of the speeding threads. DD}

Road Angel - mark999
From personal experience its the best money I have spent on an accessory. The accident blackspot detection is excellent and it has never missed a beat in detecting fixed cameras.
I have not yet had a mobile camera pointed at me so I cannot vouch for the mobile camera detection.

A couple of points to think about:-

some cars with heated windscreens need the optional ariel

You need a computer with a serial port (many laptops dont have one and usb to serial converters on win xp don't always work - all is not lost as you can buy the modem for updates)
Road Angel - Dynamic Dave
Tsk, I knew there was something I had to move across to a speeding thread.

Anyhow, I noticed PC World were selling the Road Angel for £299.97 last week (####). Some £30 or so cheaper than anywhere else I could find on the net.

tinyurl.com/2jxs4

(####)Typically out of stock at the moment though.

Road Angel - philipb
From personal experience its the best money I have spent on
an accessory. The accident blackspot detection is excellent and it has
never missed a beat in detecting fixed cameras.
I have not yet had a mobile camera pointed at me
so I cannot vouch for the mobile camera detection.
A couple of points to think about:-
some cars with heated windscreens need the optional ariel
You need a computer with a serial port (many laptops dont
have one and usb to serial converters on win xp don\'t
always work - all is not lost as you can buy
the modem for updates)

I have just bought the latest version of the Road Angel from my VW dealership when I picked up my Touran Sport TDi. This includes a Laser Detector as well as the GPS-based listing of accident blackspots and speed cameras.

My version works via a USB cable as seems happy with Windows XP Professional (although it isn\'t officially registered as \"Windows Safe\").

In the future, all satellite navigation systems would incorporate the same technology and probably update their software via mobile telephone links. Given the cost of pay-as-you go calls, surely an annual subscription to such a service would surely be quite reasonable. Maybe something for the 2006 Model Year?
does anyone know if \'SPECS\' speed cameras have to be painted yellow? on the overhead signs on M42 birmingham there are small white cameras above each of the lanes. are these Specs cameras or the RAC traffic monitoring cameras?

thanks

dave
The Speed Camera Thread XXI - Altea Ego
Dont know if they have to be, but most of the ones I have seen are not. If you get nicked by a specs you cant use the fact its not yellow as a defence.

The ones you describe dont sound like specs cameras.
The Speed Camera Thread XXI - Rob C
The SPECS cameras in the M6 roadworks were white, but had a yellow board behind them.
There is a set of white cameras at the bottom of the M1, where it joins the M25, as well.
"There is a set of white cameras at the bottom of the M1, where it joins the M25, as well. "

are these the cameras on the side of the road on tall poles (one each side of the road)?
The Speed Camera Thread XXI - No Do$h
I think these are just traffic monitoring cameras, allowing the motorway control centres to identify potential trouble spots/accidents etc.

I initially thought these were SPECS as well following a number of spurious warnings from my SatNav but turned out they had been falsely reported as such (see threads passim) to the people running the camera database.
The Speed Camera Thread XXI - quizman
Are these SPECS cameras sited at the roadworks on the Thelwall viaduct?

I have just been done, doing 49 mph in a 40 mph speed limit in the roadworks on the M6. I did not see a camera, and was very unpleasantly surprised to get my notice of intended prosecution.

Of course in roadworks one should be very careful, but this was a saturday whan nobody was working. Having to pay £60 and get 3 points on my previosly clean licence makes me rather cross.

I wish the police would concentrate on the increasing number of lunatics which we all see on ever trip nowadays.
The Speed Camera Thread XXI - smokie
Yes Thelwell viaduct had SPECS ;ast time I went over it. They are overhead witha coloured (albeit somewhat washed out) board behind. 3 or 4 sets IIRC.
The Speed Camera Thread XXI - dino
Can anyone please help.

I have been apparently caught doing 59mph in a 50mph limit on the A491 Stourbridge Rd towards Bromsgrove (Eastbound) (A), DQ03.

I have read the limits 10% + 2mph which takes the limit to 57mph. The mobile trap is placed approximately 100 ? 150 meters around a corner after the sign to change to 50mph from the 60mph limit.

Therefore, I was travelling at approximately 60mph (Duel carriageway) on seeing the sign proceeded to slow down but had only reached 59mph after 100 meters.

Is there any ruling on distance to slow down after speed restriction changes?
Should the mobile camera be placed on 100 meters after a bend?
Should I question the accuracy (calibration) of the equipment (2mph)?
Any other advise

Thanks for you help in advance

My understanding is that the 10% + 2mph is a discretionary figure used by some (not all) forces when stopped by a patrol. It does not constitute a "speed limit".

Speed limits apply from the point of the sign, not from any point beyond the sign, so it is the driver's responsibility to slow sufficiently so he is travelling within the posted liit at the time of passing the sign.

There is no ruling about the siting of cameras, although there is guidance which Partnerships can follow. This includes signage.

So, sorry, I don't think you have a leg to stand on.
The Speed Camera Thread XXI - DavidHM
Except that you'd have slowed down a lot more than that when trying, and an actual 59 is probably an indicated 62 or so.

Assuming the notice is validly issued, and you were the driver, I'm with Smokie. Caught fair and square.
"Is there any ruling on distance to slow down after speed restriction changes?"

Yep its 000 yards after the sign. ie the limit applies AT the sign, As everyone else says, sounds like a fair cop to me and you will have a problem getting out of this one.
The Speed Camera Thread XXI - Alyn Beattie
Hi Dino

You are still innocent until proven guilty. There is no harm in asking for the evidence of your guilt, the type of camera used,etc. We all know these things are for revenue gathering. Make them earn their money.
--
Alyn Beattie

I'm sane, it's the rest of the world that's mad.
I believe some forces charge for you to see the pic.

They are only revenue gathering where the driver is guilty of speeding.

It's a good idea to prevaricate and "make them earn their money" though...

Or is it? Who's money is it really? I think it's yours and mine...

On second thoughts Dino, just cough up like a good citizen!!

:-)

btw don't get me wrong, I am anti speed cameras and also anti speed limits (well maybe that's putting it a bit strong - anti for me at least!). But if caught fair and square I think a little wriggle is OK, but at the end of the day if it's a fair cop then one should take what's coming.
Not that bothered about the £60 fine its the points.

I just dont want the points. I would accept and pay up if I had of been really speeding but slowing down from a 60 limit within 100 meters or so, not really fair.

The Speed Camera Thread XXI - Flat in Fifth
" just dont want the points. I would accept and pay up if I had of been really speeding but slowing down from a 60 limit within 100 meters or so, not really fair."

To provide a little background info to the area where Dino's driving resulted in a NoIP.

Divided carriageay 60 limit.
Warning signs showing road narrowing etc.
First sight of 50 sign just entering a gradual left hand bend.
50 limit starts after 0.2 miles
Camera warning sign after another 0.1 miles
Speedmaster DS3 detection loops after another 0.1 miles.
Van visible from over 0.1 mile.

To summarise 0.4 mile to slow from 60 to 50. Even just easing off the gas does it. Even if you pass the 50 limit @ 60. Of course you probably weren't doing 60 in the 60 either.

Hands up methinks. And I hope your defence submission is factually more accurate than the info posted in your questions. Sorry if that comes across as abrupt.

On a slightly sympathetic note, the history of this particular road shows it to have a high collision record. the aforementioned 60 limit and cameras at other locations had no effect. Main problem being a number of junctions with one in particular being a problem. Personally used to avoid using this junction as it was a dangerous spot.

The road has been significantly re-engineered with introduction of slip roads, turning lanes and principally all traffic light controlled. The approach to the traffic lights is just over a brow 0.6 mile after the DS3 measurement point. Flashing traffic queue ahead signs in place to warn traffic approaching over the brow.

What I find disappointing is that the road re-engineering was not allowed to be in place for any time to see the effect on collisions before the introduction of lowered limits and camera enforcement. Wonder what gets the credit for sorting this true accident blackspot?

What other things are normal to ask for.

Photo.
Calibration report of Camera before and after. (close to limit)?

Please help
Yep, go for the lot. Let us know how you get on.
The Speed Camera Thread XXI - Stargazer {P}
A44 Woodstock, two very visible cameras just inside the 30mph limit, one of which is regularly turned around to face the other carriageway. Yesterday this latter camera was looking rather sooty and the worse for wear (missing yellow cladding). This morning
white van in attendance and camera being repaired/replaced.
The Speed Camera Thread XXI - BrianW
Two new cameras put up yesterday on the Seven Sisters Road, N London eastbound.
One at Finsbury Park 150 yards before the Green Lanes junction.
One between St Anne's Road junction and Seven Sisters station.

That make 14 or 15 to negotiate on my round trip !
2002 Camera Convictions - BrianW
The number of speeding convictions by camera for 2002 has just been released: one and a half million, up from half a million in 1999.
Wonder why it takes 16 months to add the figures up?

I am expecting 2003 to top 2 million.
2002 Camera Convictions - Malcolm_L
So, a 200% increase between 1999 and 2002 in speeding convictions yet road deaths actually increased in 2003.

Justification for speed cameras is starting to look a tad difficult.

I would like to see a stronger police presence, because cameras are no deterrent to bad driving.
2002 Camera Convictions - smokie
Were there any other factors? More drivers on the road or anything? Just curious...
2002 Camera Convictions - Malcolm_L
My very personal opinion is that public perception is that roads are safer, therefore get complacent.

I still can't believe the number of folk I see on motorways without seatbelts, for chrissake you're doing 80 -What do you think will happen if it all goes pear shaped?

Some people need protecting from themselves let alone other folk.
2002 Camera Convictions - martint123
I read somewhere this week that some scamera partnership is going to be putting the photographic evidence up an a web site some time in the future. Others may follow suit. Reason stated was freedom of information act or some bit of it that comes into force shortly.
I guess it keeps costs down as well so they can keep more of their lolly.
2002 Camera Convictions - Nortones2
That road deaths have increased does not mean that it was due to cameras! Logical fallacy surely, without evidence? How many other factors could have been involved? Increase in drunk/drugged drivers? More elderly drivers year on year? More younger drivers year on year? More vehicles on the road? More radar detectors sold? Fewer traffic police? Bad luck? In fact any increase, if caused by other factors, may have been moderated by the growth in speed camera usage:) Just to clarify, I am not keen on the things, but I expect more cameras, because of the lack of self-discipline by drivers. Evidenced by that woeful writer in the DT article. Like several in this thread, would welcome MORE traffic police to look for other, sometimes more dangerous, driving errors.
Speed Limit / Camera A40 Monmouth - Deryck Tintagel
I went through the Monmouthshire area last week and this morning the thought crossed my mind that I passed through a traffic light controlled junction of the A40 and A466 travelling on the dual-carriageway.

I also passed through the same junction about a month ago but because the lights were at red on approach I was naturally travelling at a more moderate pace and, therefore, was not too concerned with the limit.

It strikes me that the limit may have been less than the NSL because of the junction, but I cannot remember seeing a restriction or de-restriction sign before or after the junction. I am normally very good at observing speed limit signs in unfamiliar areas. All I could put missing any restriction down to is that it may have been on the exit of the roundabout just before.

Questions for anybody out there:

What's the speed limit in the area? and, more importantly, are there any cameras?
Speed Limit / Camera A40 Monmouth - AN Other
I've been through this junction many times and wondered exactly the same thing. The limit - dual carriageway, barrier etc., national speed limit - would appear to be 70mph. There is no sign that I've spotted to the contrary. I've got to say, I think you'd be bit dim to drive through this junction at 70, but speed limit wise I can't see why you shouldn't. It'll be 40mph soon enough though...
Another "it's not fair" camera story - paulb {P}
www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004202176,00.html

Yawn.

Everybody's fault but hers. The camera operators must have laughing up their sleeves, and for as long as we have people like this on the road, we will have cameras.
Another "it's not fair" camera story - No Do$h
Now I hold my hand up to exceeding the speed limit on M-ways and NSL B roads where visibility allows, but 30mph limits are there for a (usually pink and squishy) reason. As for not seeing the guys with the camera, that's more worrying than the speeding offence!
Another "it's not fair" camera story - patently
Couldn't agree with you more, ND.

And don't we love the drivers who trundle along those same NSL roads at 45 with their "Speed Kills, I'm safe" hat on but carry on through the village still at 45....

Choosing an appropriate speed for the circumstance? My foot.
Another camera hard luck story - Welliesorter
I'm not sure if this strictly belongs in this thread as it's red light camera rather than speed camera related but here goes.

A colleague was flashed by a red light camera today. She said she honestly believed it was unsafe to stop as the car behind was following her too closely and the driver was showing no sign of slowing down.

Perhaps it doesn't help her case that the car behind did actually stop (she wasn't certain whether it was behind the line) but does she stand much chance of being able to defend herself? Presumably this is one case where it would be a very good idea to see what the picture shows.

Another camera hard luck story - Myles
I'm not sure if this strictly belongs in this thread as
it's red light camera rather than speed camera related but here
goes.
A colleague was flashed by a red light camera today. She
said she honestly believed it was unsafe to stop as the
car behind was following her too closely and the driver was
showing no sign of slowing down.
Perhaps it doesn't help her case that the car behind did
actually stop (she wasn't certain whether it was behind the line)
but does she stand much chance of being able to defend
herself? Presumably this is one case where it would be a
very good idea to see what the picture shows.

I'd say that she has absolutely no chance of getting off at all. If the car behind was following too closely, she should've been approaching the lights with extra caution and been prepared to stop on amber.

All the picture will show is a red traffic light and her car driving through the junction - remember there is a delay between the light turning red and the camera being activated. Add on the time from when the light turns amber and there is very litle excuse.
Some naughty person in our village turned the local speed camera ninety degrees to the left so that it was checking the speed of the bees in the adjoining garden.
The Speed Camera Thread XXI - OldPeculiar
ah, that'll be the local scamra partership pre-empting the new breed of flying cars that we're supposed to have (on?) our roads by now :)
The Speed Camera Thread XXI - Dynamic Dave
it was checking the speed of the bees in the adjoining garden.

First they take our money, now honey ;o)

I'll get me coat.
How does the camera recognise each bee? they dont carry registration numbers. HOw do you ensure the NIP gets to the correct bee, when its addressed Mr Bee, The Hive, End of Garden.?
The Speed Camera Thread XXI - topaktas
I thought it was only the QUEEN bee's car that didn't carry number plates.
I *want* a speed camera - David Horn
I daresay this will be moved into the speed camera thread in due course (not sure where it\'s gone...) so apologies for making extra work for the mods ;)

No sooner said than done :o) ND

There\'s a stretch of road about 6 miles from my house that is about 2 miles long and runs in a straight line - which people regularly speed along at ridiculous speeds. (ie, limit 60, some people push 110 or so). This might seem safe to them, but about half way along is a footpath where people park, leaving their cars at the side of the road. You can promise that every so often a door is flung open, or a dog wanders out into the road, or a kid chases a ball out or something. At 50-60MPH you can stop, or avoid them, but at 70-100 they have no chance.

This would be an idea place for a speed_camera; but the question is: how do I get the point across to those in charge. Even a mobile camera van for a day or two would probably do the job. I\'m thinking along the lines of the backwards baseball cap brigade who would lose their licences if caught at 40MPH above the limit.

Any suggestions? I\'m not campaigning for more cameras in towns and cities, this is a country road but at some point there is going to be a very nasty accident.
I *want* a speed camera - Dr Rubber
AFAIC, no deaths/serious injuries = no camera.

We have been campaigning to have a camera outside work for years as we also have a fast straight road. We have even offered to pay for one to be fitted, but no joy.

Good luck!

Joe
I *want* a speed camera - teabelly
You won't get a speed camera unless you have had 4 fatalities (or ksis? ) in the last 3 years. Persuade the council to put up a barrier alongside the footpath which would prevent people parking their cars there and offer pedestrians more protection from vehicles on that road. Also see if the footpath can be widenend as narrowing the road would also reduce people's speed and you would find that people would slow down more. White paint making imaginary narrowings also have the same effect. Some of the baseball cap brigade won't have a registered vehicle so a speed camera will do diddly to deter them anyway.

How many are actually going that fast? Is this a perception from following them in your car at 60 or watching them as a pedestrian from the side of the road? The latter gives a more false impression of speed.

Ask the council for those speed checker wosinames (rubber tubes across the road) Then you'll find out what speed people are actually doing down there.
teabelly
I *want* a speed camera - daveyjp
Based on the need for accidents before cameras are installed can you ask Local Authorities for details of the accidents which have lead to the installation of cameras?

The spring has brought a new crop of cameras around where we live - must be the sunshine (!), including one quite close to our house. We have lived there 12 years and I can only remember two minor accidents in all that time.
I *want* a speed camera - OldPeculiar
Many councils will put up those flashy 'slow down' signs rather than a camera in response to residents requests (granted not likely to make a huge difference)

Are people deliberatly coming to the road in order to race? If that's the case then you may find that the police will be interested in coming down for the day to pick up loads of untaxed/stolen cars etc (A long shot I know)
I *want* a speed camera - just a bloke
Many councils will put up those flashy 'slow down' signs rather
than a camera in response to residents requests (granted not likely
to make a huge difference)

Actually I've found that since one was installed on the route I use to get to work that nearly everyone adjusts their speed.

JaB
I *want* a speed camera - OldPeculiar
There's one on the hill in a village close to me that's quite effective in keeping peoples speed down as they go through the village, However David problem seems to be with the 'baseball cap brigade' I doubt they'd pay an awful lot of attention to a flashy sign if they drive doing over a ton.
I *want* a speed camera - teabelly
How about a pop up child that springs up when an approaching vehicle is exceeding a certain preset limit? It should wake them up and you can do a roaring trade in sit cleaning and underwear replacement at the same time :-)
teabelly
I *want* a speed camera - Altea Ego
My 14 year old "kevin the teenager" would be perfect for this role.
The Speed Camera Thread XXI - daveyjp
To continue this thread! More fools on the M42 yesterday. Roadworks for miles, signs saying \'50\' everywhere. signs with speed cameras and bright yellow cameras every mile or so. Whilst travelling north every camera we saw on the south bound carriageway flashed - are people really driving with their eyes shut or are they just stupid?
The Speed Camera Thread XXI - Older_not_wiser
Stupid
I'd say eyes shut, personally.

Or maybe both.
The Speed Camera Thread XXI - Roger Jones
Call-out headline in The Independent's motoring supplement today: "Cameras have reduced deaths and near-fatal accidents by 35 per cent". No source for this number is quoted in the article. Fact or irresponsible journalism? Discuss.
Cut them where? when? what sort? Defined how?

On second thoughts, no I can't be bothered, frankly.
No source for this number is quoted in the article.

Nuff said.
The Speed Camera Thread XXI - NowWheels
Call-out headline in The Independent's motoring supplement today: "Cameras have reduced
deaths and near-fatal accidents by 35 per cent". No source for
this number is quoted in the article. Fact or irresponsible journalism?

Fact: UCL study for the DfT, see www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_rdsafety/docume...p

pity the article doesn't cite the source, but not many newspaper articles are footnoted :(
The Speed Camera Thread XXI - nanotm
its not the number of cameras that concern me but the ridculously low speed limits that they enforce compared to european roads (excluding germany) the limit are set for m/wys at 80mph with limitations when travelling through junction areas down to 60/70mph which works and reduces the accident ratio quite well. and then of course theres germany which has a mavelous system of no limit (advisory max limit of 80mph) down to 60 junction ares with cameras to support this and the fines are much simpler too for instance:
up to 15mph over = 20 euro
over 15 up to 30 = 100 euro
double limit = 200 euro + 3 month ban or higher fine on aplication
3 times limit = 1000 euro + and 1 year ban
a much sipler system i think.

sorry for the long post
The Speed Camera Thread XXI - Roger Jones
Thanks, NoWheels. I now discover that the report is 15 months old and the data between 50 and 26 months old, which the article also failed to mention.
There is also regression to the mean effect (which can explain substantial variations) and whether other measures were added at camera sites, eg road layout changes. You would have to see the accident rate per vehicle km travelled on that stretch and compare before and after over a number of years to get a truer idea of whether the camera was working.
teabelly
There is also regression to the mean effect (which can explain
substantial variations) and whether other measures were added at camera sites,
eg road layout changes.

I'm sure that most such studies have some flaws, somewhere.

I was particularly impressed by the effect on a road near me, where the installation of cameras reduced fatalities from about 10 in two years to zero over the first 18 months of camera operation, with a huge decline in injuries too. That was accompanied by a cut in the limit from 40 down to 30, so maybe some of the camera-haters will argue that we shoulkd just have lower speed limits without the cameras :)

We could alawys argue that a study doesn't demonstrate precisely how a pacakge of safety improvements worked, but all the studies show that they did work.

So here's a challenge: can anyone find a study which shows that installing cameras on a stretch of road was not followed by a drop in the number and/or severity of accidents?
The Speed Camera Thread XXI - Mark (RLBS)
I've said this a number of times, but just for the sake of it....

I fail to see the problem with speed cameras. There is a law, and they enforce the law. There is no problem that I can see. I don't see why it matters if the cameras are hidden, why it matters what colour they are, or anything else.

And the old trollop about "I can't drive safely and watch my speed" is just that, trollop.

Arguing that cameras are wrong because they catch people speeding is simply ludicrous - that is what they are supposed to do.

The problem is in no way related to the cameras.

There *are* two problems however;

1) believing that cameras will replace policemen. We need more police, not less. And certainly more of them floating around the highways. Cameras should be in addition to the police, not instead of.

2) the speed limits enforced are frequently unrealistic and frequently plain dumb. 30mph on a dual carriageway for example.

So;

We need more policemen.

We need realistic, appropriate and practical speed limits.

If we had those two things, then where is the problem with cameras ?

Of course, its not fashionable to argue against speed limits, but it is fashionable to hate speed cameras - which is pretty much what its all about.
Can't argue with that. Lord knows I hate speed cameras but if there were more Police and more realistic speed limits then my view may be swayed.

Mark, I agree with most of what you say -- esp "can't watch my speed" is silly, more traffic police muchly needed.

But some apparently low limits serve a purpose which may not be immediately apparent, e.g. 30mph on a dual carriageway can sometimes be appropriate to smooth traffic flows when the road reverts to single lane: in many such cases it doesn't reduce journey times, just reduces stress etc of the accelerate-then-brake cycle. The limit may also have other functions, such as reducing traffic noise
The Speed Camera Thread XXI - Mark (RLBS)
>>But some apparently low limits serve a purpose which may not be immediately apparent,

The relevant word being "some".
I only dislike speed cameras because they replace traffic police and they do naff all to catch the illegal drivers that are on the roads. They do nothing for inappropriate speed either.

Agreed about the realistic limits. It is interesting to note that 40 mph limits are adhered to much more than 30mph or 70 mph zones and that the 60 mph limit is adhered to most of all with just 9% of vehicles exceeding it. Oddly the accident rate in 60s is high but it is very low in 40 mph areas where there is similar levels of law abiding-ness.

It would be an interesting experiment to see whether people drove more or less safely without a working speedometer. Would it lead to people driving around at the same speed everywhere or would they make more value judgements rather than just matching the number on the road sign to the number on their speedo?

I wonder why it was perfectly acceptable 30 odd years ago to drive at 100 mph down the motorway, it being perfectly legal then and yet today when cars are much better at speed it is an instant ban?
teabelly
The Speed Camera Thread XXI - SR
"I wonder why it was perfectly acceptable 30 odd years ago to drive at 100 mph down the motorway, it being perfectly legal then and yet today when cars are much better at speed it is an instant ban?"

There's far more traffic now, and while cars are better at speed, the drivers aren't necessarily so!
Nicely put, Mark.

Speed cameras also attract flak because they are the visible part of a system that is perceived to be untruthful. Speed cameras are, we are told, there to aid safety. Our experience sometimes suggests that they are sited to maximise revenue, but this is flatly denied. Statistics are published which show that they reduce KSI rates; queries are raised as to the accuracy and validity of the statistics but no defence is offered.

For example, the A404 from Wycombe to Amersham has just been plastered with big yellow signs telling us just how many deaths there have been at each junction. This is good, but the thoguht that keeps coming to mind is why there are no speed cameras? This road seems to fit the safety argument for them perfectly, so where are they?

Many cynical explanations spring to mind, of course.
The Speed Camera Thread XXI - SR
Doesn't this exactly fit the situation that campaigners always tell us about - that if better warnings and explanations of speed limits were given there would be no need for cameras?

Why should we have to spend another £20,000 of taxpayers money (at each junction?)for a device that stops them speeding for 50 yards but gives them freedom to do so on the rest of the road?

I assume they will now all be sticking to the limit.....

My point is that all the arguments for speed cameras point to them being used on that road.

But they are not, informative signs are being used instead.

So, either the arguments in favour of speed cameras are flawed, or I am being placed at unnecessary risk when I use that road. Either way, it doesn't stack up.
Statistics are published which show that
they reduce KSI rates; queries are raised as to the accuracy
and validity of the statistics but no defence is offered.

Actually, the DfT website has plenty of stuff explaining the stats, but not everyone reads it :(

The interesting thing about this debate, though, is that ppl who dislike cameras try to find flaws in the studies which show how cameras reduce the number and severity of accidents where they are installed ... but they cannot point to any studies which fail to show such a reduction.

The best that anyone has come up with is a claim that they simply displace accidents to elsewhere, which (if true, and I doubt it) sounds like a compelling argument for zillions of extra cameras.
This road seems to fit the safety
argument for them perfectly, so where are they?

I'm sure if you ask loudly and persitently enough, they could be installed! :)
The interesting thing about this debate, though, is that ppl who
dislike cameras try to find flaws in the studies which show
how cameras reduce the number and severity of accidents where they
are installed ... but they cannot point to any studies which
fail to show such a reduction.

Err, yes, but....

The only people who have full access to the raw data and who are able to demand that it is collected in the way they ask are HMG. So it's not surprising that HMG are the only ones that can carry out major studies. So those that disagree with HMG have little option but to look at the official studies and ask whether the data justifies the conclusions reached.

There are two main things that make me sad:

- first that major changes have been made to our system of road policing, but our roads as a whole seem no safer and the death rates back this up

- second that those who query current speed camera policy are often automatically regarded as being in favour of speeding and against enforcement of any description. Not so!
"I was particularly impressed by the effect on a road near me, where the installation of cameras reduced fatalities from about 10 in two years to zero over the first 18 months of camera operation, with a huge decline in injuries too. That was accompanied by a cut in the limit from 40 down to 30, so maybe some of the camera-haters will argue that we should just have lower speed limits without the cameras :)"

Similar situation locally, camera installed, new bypass opened and speed limit on old road reduced.
Ergo: reduction in accidents immediately proclaimed as being wholly due to the speed camera.
Similar situation locally, camera installed, new bypass opened and speed limit
on old road reduced.

the road I described wasn't bypassed or anything, just slowed and camera-ed. It's the main artery into the city from this side of town, no real alternative route available.