The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 22 - Dynamic Dave

**** THREAD CLOSED, PLEASE CONTINUE DISCUSSION IN

"The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 23" ****

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=23125

For the continued discussion of all things pertaining to Speed Cameras.

Volume Twentyone filled up.

This is Volume 22, 21 is closed but can be viewed here:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=21659

There is no need to repeat anything since earlier volumes will not be deleted, although I am quite sure that this will not stop you.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18846
Banned for warning of scammera - martint123
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004...l

"A pensioner who warned motorists of a police speed trap was convicted of wilfully obstructing a constable in the execution of his duty, banned from driving and ordered to pay £364 costs yesterday.
Harding said he had stood at the same spot, on the A325 at Farnborough, on previous Sundays warning drivers of the car boot sale, and had received a thumbs-up sign from a passing police car. But the attitude of officers changed when he warned drivers of the speed camera."

Banned for warning of scammera - Altea Ego
Can someone explain to me how he can be banned from driving, when he was not convicted of a traffic offence?
Banned for warning of scammera - joe
This is hard to believe. Surely his appeal will succeed? He is only doing what the official speed camera warning signs do. Same applies to speed trap detectors in cars.This looks like an almighty lash-up by the magistrates.
Banned for warning of scammera - paulb {P}
This decision would appear to be further proof, like we needed it, that the powers that be want people to speed, so that they can catch them for it and enjoy the revenue. If they were truly interested in getting people to slow down when passing through villages etc, they would have praised him for his public-spiritedness.

I would be interested to hear from our resident lawyers how it is that he can be disqualified for doing what he did - I remember hearing a while back that disqualification can be imposed for all sorts of non-motoring offences - is this so?
He was convicted of obstructing a policeman in the execution of his duties. The only way that this can be the case is if the policeman's duty was to generate revenue. If his duty was to get people to slow down, then this chap was actually assisting him in his duty.

The only justification for this decision would be that the whole speed camera system works as a deterrent, and the deterrent is at its most effective when drivers do not know for sure where the cameras are. If we all knew exactly where the cameras were, then we would be more likely to speed on the road where we knew there were no cameras, and to slow down at the places where we know there are cameras. It is also possible to argue that if the drivers had not had a warning, they would have got a ticket, it would have been a salutary experience and they would have moderated their future driving accordingly.

However, I cannot see how this argument squares with the following:

1. The whereabouts of mobile speed camera teams are publicised by the police in the local press (albeit the road is publicised, not the precise spot)

2. The state puts up speed camera warning signs

3. Certain radar detectors in cars are legal

4. The official purpose of cameras is to get us to slow down

The best point surely is that this man was not assiting people in getting away with a crime, he was stopping them from committing a crime in the first place.
Banned for warning of scammera - Baskerville
The best point surely is that this man was not assiting
people in getting away with a crime, he was stopping them
from committing a crime in the first place.

Unless of course they were already committing a "crime" (speeding), were liable to get caught, and he was appointing himself lookout. Speeding isn't a criminal offence like burglary, but imagine if you saw a house being burgled and you knew the police were about to drive past. Would you knock on the door and advise the burglars to scarper?

We (and the Telegraph) don't know enough about this case to judge it. No doubt there will be an appeal and some other resolution may be reached.
For the police to succeed with this argument, surely they would need to prove that the cars were in fact speeding when they saw the warning sign, and then slowed down in order to avoid a ticket. It must be likely that this is the case, but I cannot see how the police could prove it. In those circs, surely the defendant could argue that what he was doing was simply warning people against speeding up?

Agree with your point regarding not believing everything we read, even in the good old Telegraph. I used to completely trust it until it started reporting on something contraversial thatI had personal knowledge about. It was then very easy to see how it approaches each story from a particular point of view. Same is true of all other media I am sure.
Banned for warning of scammera - Sooty Tailpipes
As car boot sales can be frequented by gypsies, thieves and people who handle stolen goods, the Police may have been using APNR to detect know offenders so that they can be searched for stolen property, maybe the weel intentioned man then refused to stop warning people as he believed he was in the right??? Just a theory of course.

{Posting amended. Please refrain from directly accusing people of certain activies. DD}

Banned for warning of scammera - OldPeculiar
But the police can pull someone over using APNR even if they don't speed, so short of the warning causing someone to pull a u-turn to avoid plod it wouldn't have an effect.
Banned for warning of scammera - helicopter
My local paper regularly advises where the mobile police traps will be during the coming week so why are the police not prosecuting them?

Who amongst us has not flashed oncoming traffic to warn of police cameras - I sometimes do it anyway with a thumbs down just to slow speeding oncoming traffic if I think they are being stupid - its usually quite effective.
Banned for warning of scammera - Cliff Pope
The conviction, if it is upheld, would appear to arise because he was hindering the police in one particular instance.
Supposing he had merely been displaying a sign saying "obey the speed limit" ?
Or how about "I support the police in the exercise of their duty"? Knowing motorists might still get the message.

Similarly, it would clearly be wrong to tip off the bank robbers that the police were coming. But what about just standing outside a bank displaying " robbing banks is a criminal offence - you may be arrested"?
Banned for warning of scammera - AN Other
Poor old chap - it seems very mean to me. It's just not fair to cause someone that age so much stress and grief. Sledgehammers and walnuts... I intend to fully exercise my right to interfere and cause trouble when I'm 71.
Pensioner Banned! - malteser
Like it or not it IS the law that it is an offence to warn oncoming motorists of a speed trap ahead - has been thus for years IIRC.
In this case, IMO, the punishment is grossly excessive for the gravity of the offence. What can the Bench have been thinking of to ban the poor bloke?
Big Brother is here now!
Roger in Spain
Pensioner Banned! - Adam {P}
I'm 90% sure it was on here that I read the point about AA patrols on bikes used to wave at cars all the time. If there was a trap they didn't. In fact, I think I posted a reply on it!

It wouldn't work now but no-one would be breaking the law in doing this would they?

Adam
Pensioner Banned! - L'escargot
We're not pensioners any more ~ we're Senior Citizens!
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Pensioner Banned! - Damp Squib
I have read the above but I don't understand how it can be an offence in itself, to take action to prevent someone else commiting an offence! Is the Law an ass or is it me?
Pensioner Banned! - frostbite
Another thought:

If this is indeed an offence - surely the camera signs erected by Councils everywhere perform the same function and must be illegal?

Still don't see how this can be classed as the type of offence that they can get their hands on his licence over.
Pensioner Banned! - NowWheels
If this is indeed an offence - surely the camera signs erected
by Councils everywhere perform the same function and must be illegal?

No, the police have a right to decide whether or not to forwarn people that they are applying particular efforts to enforce any law. That includes a power of unannounced enforcement, and we don't have a right to try to sabotage that.

The camera signs are usually part of the local speed camera partnerships, and there is a particular reason for not allowing those cameras to be hidden.

It's because when cameras are installed under those partnerships, the partnership keeps some of the revenue. That's the only situation in which the money from cameras goes to the folks who decide whether and where to instal them, so the visibility rule is to stop any chance or suspicion of them being a revenue-raising ploy.
Pensioner Banned! - malteser
Obstructing the police in their duty (to raise more revenue)?
Just like section 40 of the Army Act, designed to cover everything not specifically mention in particular!
Roger in Spain
Pensioner Banned! - frostbite
Since when has obstructing the police in their duty been a motoring offence?
Pensioner Banned! - ndbw
In the old days of uniformed AA&RAC patrolmen things were much simpler,if you were a member of either and the patrolman failed to salute then you could bet plod was ready with his stopwatch further along the road.

ndbw
Pensioner Banned! - Nortones2
If this chap was in the habit of warning against speeding, and he did so at times without there being a speed camera present, it would be a little harsh on one so public spirited. If however he only appeared on the scene when a speed trap was in place, then he is rightly nicked for obstruction.
If this chap was in the habit of warning against speeding,
and he did so at times without there being a speed
camera present, it would be a little harsh on one so
public spirited.

wouldn't that also depend on whether his sign on the day in question warned about speed or about the trap?
Pensioner Banned! - Armitage Shanks{P}
There are already roadside signs, radar activated, which warn you to slow down'cos you are over the limit. An unpaid pensioner providing the same warning sounds to me like commendable public service.
"slow down 'cos you are over the limit" is not the same as "slow down 'cos this time they are gonna catch you"
Hello NoWheels,
My evening wouldn't be the same without a healthy debate with your goodself.

How about

"IF YOU SPEED ON THIS ROAD, THEY'RE GOING TO GET YOU?"

:-)
Pensioner Banned! - Dwight Van Driver
.........and taking this to the n'th degree HJ if drivers had been driving responsibly then all this would never have happened.
QED?

DVD
Pensioner Banned! - BrianW
Two valid points IMHO.
Why a ban on driving for an act committed by a pedestrian?
What would the penalty have been if the guy hadn't got a driving licence?
One penalty for motorists and another for anyone else?

HJ highlights the basic flaw in the use of these devices, an NIP through the letterbox a fortnight later does nothing to
prevent an accident at the time.
Pensioner Banned! - Mapmaker
Not to defend or condemn the bench, but 'One penalty for motorists and another for anyone else?'

'fraid so. We are all members of society. A privilege that we may have extended to us is that of driving (provided we are roadworth, sober, insured, taxed, MOT'd & have a licence).

Under certain circumstances (murder, say) we may have our freedom taken from us, as it is considered that one's responsibility towards society is such that circumstances merit it.

A part of living in that society is that we have given up our 'freedom' (what tosh!) to do 70mph down the Strand.

Similarly, society has decided (and here we may wish to debate how 'Them' equates to 'society') that the bench should be able to ban people from driving for any reason whatsoever.

If the cap fits, then wear it, and I should suggest that (provided one accepts that what he was doing was wrong - and I make no observation on that point) a driving ban for a motoring related offence is far from unreasonable.

I absolutely agree with HJ & BrianW that an NIP doesn't help the dead child.
Speeding fine is £60, isn't it? So £12,000 in fines is 200 tickets issued. And that's in one morning, say four hours. So nearly one speedster a minute.

Yet ACPO guidelines are not to prosecute until speed is at limit+10%+2mph ... so that's nearly one driver a minute going well outside a reasonable margin of error. This certainly isn't "zero tolerance", as some folks claim.

The DT report tells us that boot sales are a regular event on that street, with lots of people attending. So a reasonable proportion of those drivers must have known that apart from the speed limit, there was extra reason to slow there ... but there was still nearly one a minute driving at a dangerous speed.

That's rather a lot of drivers showing depressingly little concern or respect for the safety of others, people who are going to be a nuisance wherever they drive. Those 200 careless or reckless folk have now received a much-needed reminder to respect the safety of others by observing the speed limit.

I talked to my local police about this sort of thing a few weeks ago. They had set a speed trap on the main road through the village, and placed a sign warning people that the trap was there (that's on top of the numerous big 30 signs) ... but they still had plenty of yowls.

Given these attitudes, isn't it a good thing that police sometimes use unannounced enforcement? And given the persistent danger which the pensioner identified, why on earth wasn't he supporting the police in escalating their enforcement, rather than trying to undermine their work?
Pensioner Banned! - SR
"an NIP through the letterbox a fortnight later does nothing to
prevent an accident at the time."

but responsible driving does - so why can't drivers take respnsibility for their own actions? Why do they have to be forced?
Pensioner Banned! - patently
See my long post from last night.

Oh, err, DD deleted it together with other stuff.
'but responsible driving does - so why can't drivers take respnsibility for their own actions? Why do they have to be forced?'

Sad reflection on society. But it is a fact. No amount of 'educational courses' will help that one!

Given this fact, we need to work with what we have.

So, speed detectors wired into each cats eye (or using satellite tracking, or whatever), connected to a warning device in your car. When you speed a little, you get warned; if you don't slow down you get done.
NoWheels,
You say ACPO guidelines are 10% + 2 mph. You are correct but are these not exactly that? Guidelines? I only ask as an acquanitance of mine has been sent an NIP for what can only be described as racing down like a loony in a 40mph at the utterly irresponsible speed of 44mph. Lock him up - he's a menace to society.
I have no idea, but my suspicion is that in areas where there seem to be breaches of the ACPO guidelines, a speed trap is set.

Then, once there, everyone who is caught over the limit is NIPped.

You say ACPO guidelines are 10% + 2 mph. You are correct but
are these not exactly that? Guidelines? I only ask as an
acquanitance of mine has been sent an NIP for what can
only be described as racing down like a loony in a
40mph at the utterly irresponsible speed of 44mph.

Yes, they are only guidelines (just found them at www.acpo.police.uk/policies/Speed_6.doc ), and ACPO does warn that

"The Police Service now uses technology that enables it to prove that an offence has been committed as soon as a driver exceeds the relevant speed limit by a very small margin. Motorists will therefore be at risk of prosecution immediately they exceed any legal speed limit."

Your friend was 10% over, which isn't that small a margin. Maybe that force is getting tougher, or maybe there are other reasons for police reckoning that a safe speed would have been much lower. The guidelines say:

"This guidance does not and cannot replace the police officer's discretion and they may decide to issue a summons or a fixed penalty notice in respect of offences committed at speeds lower than those set out in the table"

The whole document is well worth reading: the paragraph on "consistency" is particularly informative, explaining that "Consistency of approach does not mean uniformity"
Lock him up - he's a menace to society.

Far be it from me to argue with his friends {grin}, but maybe he'd be a good candidate for one of those speed awareness courses or whatever they're called?

But maybe if you asked the magistate very nicely they give him a chance to wear a stripey shirt and break rocks. They could even set him to breaking up Robin's concrete -- see www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=22516&...e -- but I suspect that you might be a bit hard on him, and that a small fine or a course would be enough of a reminder for him
Pensioner Banned! - SR
"So, speed detectors wired into each cats eye (or using satellite tracking, or whatever), connected to a warning device in your car. When you speed a little, you get warned; if you don't slow down you get done. "

But we already have a system that warns drivers of their speed -the speedometer. Plus a system that lets them know what the speed limit is - eductaion and lots of signs! And they have more warning signs, road markings, signs telling them there are cameras, cameras painted in dayglo paint, a little bit of leeway over the posted limit - and they still complain about being caught!

Like your idea - how about wiring the detector up to the lights, horn and a buzzer inside the car so that they're all activated when the speed limit is exceeded........
Good idea SR - we just need to make the speed limit the same everywhere and it will work.

Of course, in some theories of road safety, speed is matched to the prevailing conditions. So we'd best make those the same as well in order to justify the decision. Perhaps we could build lots of primary schools alongside the M1 and make the NSL 20 mph.

No use for cars then - horses & carts would do fine.

Sorry, slight rant, but I think the point is that your protests and prescriptions would be fine in a perfect world but not in this one.

Oh - did you notice NW's discovery of the ACPO statement that drivers could be caught at limit+1, btw?
Oh - did you notice NW's discovery of the ACPO statement
that drivers could be caught at limit+1, btw?

Detected at limit+1; usually prosecuted only at limit+10%+2

If you think about it, it's the only way that the limits make sense. A guarantee of limit+10%+2 would mean that a 30sign really means a limit of 35, so lots of folks would be trying to do 35 and moaning about being nicked at 36. (There was one of those recently in the backroom)

Just a thought. Maybe it would be a good idea for the camera systems to routinely send a written warning to those snapped at a speed betwen the limit and the limit+10%+2? Something like "on this occasion, we ain't gonna prosecute, but please be more careful. We may not always be so generous"
Good idea SR - we just need to make the speed
limit the same everywhere and it will work.

There's actually something fairly close to SR's idea, already available with existing technology.

A friend has a satnav gadget which squeaks when you get near a camera: the ideal device for a speedster who wants to avoid detection.

But if the map recorded limits rather than cameras, it could squawk whenever the car exceeded the limit, rather than merely helping drivers evade prosecution by standing on the brakes when they get near a camera.

No privacy implications, and the only technical advance needed would be a link between the car's speedo and the satnav. Of course, it would only appeal if drivers actually preferred obeying the limuts to moaning about their enforcement
The only reason drivers complain about speed enforcement is that it is enforced sporadically. Like many drivers, I speed (half-heartedly) from time to time.

The odds of being caught are so small (provided you keep your eyes open for luminous yellow cameras) that you might as well forget about the risk. It's accepted practice that speeding is fine (particularly on motorways). Then somebody gets a bee in his bonnet about putting a safetytrap in place, and suddenly, for half a day, at one place on the network, it's not possible to speed.

So, if speedlimits were universally and strictly enforced (and by universally I mean along every last inch of the roads), then we'd all be happy!

Maybe there should be any expectation that roads are designated and engineered to perform a particular function.

How about starting with the (IMHO not unreasonable) assumption that an "A" road is a main through route and should be capable of being driven along safely at a minimum speed of 40mph, other than where traffic lights and roundabouts dictate a lower speed.

Roads only capable of sustaining 30mph would then be reclassified as "B" roads.

I suspect that there would be very few "A" roads which would expose the dire state of our principal national transport system!
I know, I know, I know! But it would:

1. Take away the uncertainty of speedometer calibration;

2. Allow for that moment of inattention when speed drifts above the limit (admit it, it happens to all of us), or when we're unsure of the speedlimit (is it 30 here, or nsl? - I won't believe you if you say you've never been uncertain!);

3. Help with the installation of a police state.
>>What, Adski, you'd rather be a girl?<<

Nooo no no no no. I was referring to her earlier argument of ACPO guidelines!!! HONEST!

Pensioner Banned! - Mark (RLBS)
Did somebody call me ?
Call you what?

(sorry)
Pensioner Banned! - Dynamic Dave
Call you what?

A pensioner maybe?
Mark - YOU'RE ALIVE!!!!!

Thank the lord!
Pensioner Banned! - Mark (RLBS)
Yes I\'m alive. I\'ve been busy trying to scrape a meagre living - something that clearly wasn\'t hindering you lot this afternoon ! ;-)
Ordinarily I'd be insulted but seeing as the Uni year is over I can be called a layabout because....I AM!!!

And it's GREAT!!!
Pensioner Banned! - Ivor E Tower
This incident happened about 2 miles from where I live, and I usually pass the spot every day on my way to work. A couple of weeks ago a local politician stood infront of the speed camera van one morning to make a protest and he was not stopped or arrested or cautioned, so why was this pensioner victimised? Incidentally the area where it happened is an urban dual carrigeway with 30mph limit, which used to be 40mph until a few years ago. Other, single carriage stretches of this road are 40mph and 50mph. There are rumours in the local press that this part had its limit cut to 30mph solely to enable revenue generation by speed cameras because 30mph repeater signs are illegal! How daft is that? In the 40mph limit area there are some repeater signs. The 30mph stretch has no side roads and almost no pedestrians. The law is an ass and I wish I could afford to emigrate!
"The 30mph stretch has no side roads and almost no pedestrians."

Ferry Lane, Walthamstow in east London now has THREE cameras in half a mile (2 one way, one the other).
This road is four or five lanes wide and runs dead straight between a railway and a reservoir. You could put a 50mph limit on it without any danger.
Digital cameras and square Plates - Richard Turpin
There was an article in the Telegraph suggesting that digital cameras could not read square number plates because they are on two lines. I have tested this theory on the congestion charge cameras in London, and they can read square plates, and I have a penalty to prove it. If anyone knows any different for digital speed cameras, I would be interested to know the result.
Digital cameras and square Plates - Altea Ego
Any number plate that fails an ANPR check gets passed to another machine called a mk1 eyeball. The mk1 eyeball can read all sorts of number plates.
Digital cameras and square Plates - volvoman
Well I hope it can read plates like those belonging to the crazy bikers which cut me (and many other drivers) up on the M25 the other day. Their plates were only about 4"x1" long - some in normal text others italicised! If they hadn't been so close I wouldn't have seen the plate let alone been able to read it.
Cameras that face you - Mapmaker
I dare say this has been done to death before, but driving the A14/A45 on Saturday I wondered the following:

1. Am I right in thinking that they only catch you by timing you over a stretch? So the speed you go through them doesn't matter.

2. So presumably they need two such cameras...

3. So why do you sometimes only have one such camera along a stretch - makes timing between two points rather difficult...

4. Has anybody ever been caught by one of these?

5. Like Gatsos, are they sometimes loaded, and sometimes not?
Cameras that face you - Dynamic Dave
If you're refering to Truvelo cameras, then they use piezo sensors buried in the road.

www.truvelouk.com
www.truvelouk.com/speedmeasurement.phtml

Cameras that face you - Mapmaker
Ah. So what are those cameras that time you over a distance?
Cameras that face you - Adam {P}
SPECS - cameras on very tall poles - best described as CCTV like looking things.
The Speed Camera Thread XXII - pdc {P}
I noticed on Saturday, as I was on the way to Newark Water Festival, to see The Human League play a free concert, that the A46 is about to be fitted with SPECS, where it meets the A52. $ sets of poles are in place, minus cameras at the moment.
More people killed at many scam sites - teabelly
From today's telegraph:

By Paul Marston, Transport Correspondent
(Filed: 16/06/2004)

About a quarter of speed cameras have made no effective contribution to road safety, according to official figures released by the Department for Transport yesterday.

The first detailed analysis of camera sites, recording casualty rates before and after the equipment was installed, showed that numbers of accident victims had risen rather than fallen at hundreds of locations.

The report also disclosed that the Treasury rakes off a 20 per cent annual profit from camera-enforced fines, once the costs of the system are met.

Gordon Brown's department made almost £15 million in 2002-03.

The casualty figures came in the returns from local authority and police force partnerships.

They showed that of the 1,793 sites studied, 384 registered an increase in numbers of people killed or seriously injured in the year following camera installation, compared with the average rate for the three previous years.

At dozens of other sites, the casualty rate was unchanged.

When traffic light cameras were included, the total number of installations apparently making no impact on accident rates exceeded 700.

The highest proportion of questionable camera sites was in Thames Valley, where deaths and injuries had increased at almost half the locations. The Wiltshire and Swindon police area, Derbyshire, Cleveland, London, West Yorkshire and Essex were also well above the national average.

Drivers' organisations claimed that the figures contradicted the Government's earlier assertions that few, if any, sites had weak justifications in safety terms.

The RAC said the report showed that many cameras were not in proven accident blackspots and called on the council-police partnerships to scrap them.

Susie Haywood, a spokesman, said: "The Government and the partnerships have an exceptionally long way to go to win the hearts and minds of motorists that cameras work to save lives and not just to make their wallets lighter."

The Association of British Drivers said scores of cameras had been located in response to single accidents on roads with otherwise excellent safety records.

At other sites, cameras were erected even though re-engineering of the road had taken place to reduce accident risk.

"The massive growth of cameras in the last four years has led to millions of speeding tickets being handed out in circumstances that are not related to the causes of accidents," added a spokesman for the group.

"Drivers' lives are being made a misery for nothing."

The department's study said that across the first 24 partnership areas, overall fatality numbers were down 40 per cent - roughly 100 people a year - at sections of road and traffic lights covered by cameras. Serious injuries were down by a similar proportion, while average speeds fell by eight per cent after cameras were introduced.

Alastair Darling, the Transport Secretary, said the statistics showed that cameras saved lives. But he accepted that some sites were making little difference to safety.

"Most sites have achieved good results," he said. "I have asked the partnerships to ensure that the cameras which have had less impact are needed and are still the best road safety solution."

However, decisions about the future of individual cameras remain with council and police officials. Mr Darling has no specific power to require partnerships to move or dismantle them.

The report said the total income from camera fines was £68.8 million in 2002-03. The partnerships had claimed £54.3 million to cover their operating costs, leaving a surplus of £14.6 million for the Treasury.

A succession of opinion surveys has shown that about three quarters of drivers believe that speed cameras are primarily to raise revenue rather than to improve road safety.

Tim Yeo, the newly-appointed shadow transport secretary, said that the DfT report underlined the need for a fully independent audit of speed cameras to establish safety requirements and determine their positioning.

"The suspicion remains that many cameras are only serving to raise revenue," added Mr Yeo.

It was estimated in a report yesterday that speed cameras were supposed to save 100 lives. This was only an estimate (so why don't they have the real accident data?) and since there are 5000 cameras across the country that isn't many is it? Staffordshire's own fatality figures for 2003 show a 40% increase above 2002 but I bet they weren't included in the 20 odd scam partnerships chosen to prove speed cameras reduce casualties.
teabelly
More people killed at many scam sites - Mark (RLBS)
I can\'t see how that could be.

I quite believe that cameras are not cutting accidents. I quite believe that they are frequently there for revenue purposes rather than law enforcement.

But I cannot believe that they are causing accidents to rise.

I\'ve heard the dross about the poor incompetents who can\'t look at their speedo and drive safely at 30 mph and I certainly don\'t believe that.

I\'ve heard the equally doubtful comments about people stomping on the brakes and a camera and then accelerating immed. after. I\'m sure that this does happen occasionally but I don\'t believe its increasing the accidents.

I would strongly suspect that the true situation is that there are somce places where cameras cut accidents (A41 for example) but the rest of the time they have little or no effect on accident rates, and certainly not a negative affect.

I know about the statistics, but from either side of the wall they are incomplete without sufficient analysis of other factors, merely stylised to show the chosen \"truth\".

It is incomplete to say that a camera was installed and the area/town/county accident rate is higher/not falling as fast and therefore the two things are cause and effect.

It is equally inappropriate where the accident rate has fallen to claim the same thing.

I think both sides are trying to show an inappropriate connection between cameras and accidents and trying to insist that it applies to all cameras and areas.

And why people don\'t forget the cameras and focus on inappropriate speed limits is beyond me. Whatever extent you actually believe it is not really relevant - cameras have the ultimate excuse for existence in that if you\'re not breaking the law they are immaterial for you. Even if a camera is sited somewhere completely inappropriate according to the guidelines, its still enforcing the law.

Surely it would be far better to focus on a set of standards and guidelines for speed limits ?

e.g. dual carriageway, no junction within 1 mile, no pedestrian crossings, no pavements and no residences within 100m -> 80mph. Single carriageway, pedestrians, residences within 10m, multiple junctions -> 40mph.

If you could get speed limits to be more sensible, then who would care about the cameras ?
More people killed at many scam sites - teabelly
I suppose the only way to have any chance of finding out is to look at the accident rates for Durham and compare with counties with scameras and look at their placement policies. Traffic volumes also need to be compared as people may just be avoiding camera lined routes and having their accidents elsewhere. Engineering measures are also often used at the same time so it makes it even trickier to work out whether it is the camera or the engineering that has made the difference.

If scams have no effect on accidents when enforcing the law would it follow that it would make no difference whether the law is enforced or not as regards to speeding? Bit of risky experiment to carry out though!

Perhaps the poor incompetants are looking out for cameras rather than the way the are going? As the biggest cause of accidents is inattention it is possible that looking around for cameras and mobile vans could cause an accident if you happen to be looking just at the wrong moment. If scams are at accident blackspots would this not increase the risk further? Some drivers are incompetant and maybe it is just showing up their failings. It would only take a few twerps to upset the applecart.

I agree with sorting out speed limits entirely. It would just become a non issue if they were set in a sensible manner. I think safespeed are also campaigning for the return to the 85% rule for setting limits and stopping local authorities from ignoring these rules.

Perhaps all limits should be raised to 200 mph then no-one would ever be caught speeding ;-) well apart from a few smarty pants.
teabelly
More people killed at many scam sites - just a bloke
Can anyone point me at information about how many types of camera there...

There's a bridge over the M25, just before Junction 16 I think, each of the 3 lanes on both carriageways seem to have about 3 cameras aimed at them... Green, Black, Grey.

I'd like to know what big brother is watching....
More people killed at many scam sites - tunacat
"e.g. dual carriageway, no junction within 1 mile, no pedestrian crossings, no pavements and no residences within 100m -> 80mph."

Exactly describes a stretch of road I know where not long ago the limit was reduced from 70 to 50 and cameras erected.

Contrarily: Narrow country road, infant and junior school's gate opens straight onto it apart from narrow pavement and short stretch of railings (recently bent over by a schoolmum's car)...
recently had 20 limit posted, but no cameras, and never policed.

£60 is less than two tanks of petrol for most drivers. Hits transgressors hard (not).

Succinct question I heard the other day: "If 'they' want to prove once and for all that the cameras are for safety and not revenue, why don't 'they' scrap the fines and purely impose the points alone?"

More people killed at many scam sites - patently
£60 is less than two tanks of petrol for most drivers.
Hits transgressors hard (not).
Succinct question I heard the other day: "If 'they' want
to prove once and for all that the cameras are for
safety and not revenue, why don't 'they' scrap the fines and
purely impose the points alone?"

Or make the fine rather more than 2 tanks of petrol by dropping fuel duty?

Two things struck me about the recent announcement. First, the press release went out at 6:30 and the document went out at 9:30. So the HMG-friendly headline hit the morning news before anyone could digest the statistics and respond intelligently.

Second, 5,500 cameras saved 100 lives - good news (of course), but at least 98% of them saved no-one.
More people killed at many scam sites - BrianW
Question for next year's A level maths exam:
"If it takes 5,000 cameras issuing two million tickets of £60 each to produce a 100 reduction in fatal statistics, calculate how many cameras, the number of tickets to be issued and the total fine revenue which will be required to achieve an official target of a 1,400 reduction in fatalities."

BTW, has anyone noticed the discrepancy in the fine income figures, by my reconing two million ticket should have produced £120 million in fines, but the declared gross income was just under £60 million. I wonder who had the other 60?
More people killed at many scam sites - OldPeculiar
Could it be that this is the number of unpaid fines? 50%?
help - Don'twannagetbanned
I have been looking around on the web for speedfine related issues as I have a situation. I'm sure this will sound familiar, and possibly even boring. After 20 years of point-free driving I clocked up 9 points over 6 weeks, (this was about a 2 years ago) all of them around Birmingham, I think cameras were re-calibrated and where a speed of 40-44 had been ok suddenly 38 would get you flashed.
After that I think I went into shock and became a right pain in the ass to other motorists pottering around at 30 just in case.

Now, a couple of weeks ago I met someone from my old address who handed me a carry bag full of mail. 99% rubbish and 1 NIP for 43 in a 30 zone there was also a black letter ' Final Warning' the original NIP was issued 26.02.04, I got this a couple of days ago and haven't responded yet.

It could have been one of 3 drivers, it was a rather chaotic period for all and no-one is admitting to seeing a flash, I know I would have remembered as the flash would have signified my ban.
Can anyone offer any useful advice? By the way I didn't re-register the vehicle to my new address when I moved as it was up for sale at the time and is now in a friends garage as I have a new one. So it is still registered in my name at my old address.
help - Dwight Van Driver
You asking for the honest or dishonest route?

DVD
help - Adam {P}
Unless your job really really depended on it, and I mean for example, you're a taxi driver (and even then I'm not sure) I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Sorry but someone else may be able to help more.

Cheers

Adam
help - Mapmaker
Go on, DVD, both please - entertainment value for all!

(I dare say failure to notify change of address is worth thousands...)
help - pdc {P}
Don'twannagetbanned.

I know of someone who received an NIP in Jan 2000 and never returned it as she suspects she was doing well over 100 mph on the M6. She's been pulled several times since and the non-returned NIP has never been mentioned.

You could try the ignore route?
help - Dwight Van Driver
Sorry Mapmaker, but Mammy, God rest her soul, brought me up to believe Honesty is the best Policy. So in this vein lets look at the situation as outlined by NB (Naughty Boy). The devious amongst you can come up with alternantives.

Some confusion in the thread as to whether the vehicle was or was not sold by NB to the friend. If not number of additional offences committed by NB to speeding disclosed.

(1) Fail to notify change of particulars in relation to registration of vehicle i.e changeof address.
(2) Fail to notify change of address re Driving Licence.
(3) Possible Excise Offences SORN etc. (Remember if off road untaxed more than a month and no SORN automatic 80 note fine from DVLA - all down to NB if change notification has not been adhered to including any parking fines etc)

If sold:

(1) Fail to notify change of ownership on sale of vehicle by NB
(2)DL offence as above.
New owner : Fail to notify aquisition of vehicle (NOIP/Conditional Offer sent to NB as RK - indicative that he has not done so?).

So lets get back to the main thrust of the thread.

Camera flash - DVLA records checked for RK - NB at old address - forms sent out (NIP/Name and shame driver forms/Conditional Offer if RK admits driver).

Nothing back in 28 days as NB has flown the nest so they repeat.

Still no reply so they have a decision to make, bin or pursue. Doubtful they will write saying NFA so NB has to sweat on this, After say 9 months can start breathing more easily maybe light at the end of the tunnel. A year I would say clear.

If they pursue then they will commence an action at Court for failing to name driver at least and may be also speeding to cater for an admission at Court. From the time scale mentioned by NB may well have already started action. So information is laid within 6 months of offence (cannot proceed outside this time) and summons issued (can be held over 6 months for service) and sent to old address. Reply no longer there or passed to NB by occupier of old address.

NB can acknowledge and have a day in Court and attempt to get off by blaming non receipt of forms because of address change etc which opens up the can of worms in relation to failing to notify by NB and possible new buyer (who may well conform once vehicle is relicensed). As to naming driver offence, defence to show NB did not know and could not with reasonable diligence have ascertained who the driver of the vehicle was. Good grounds needed to support.

or

No acknowldgement of summons by NB, totally ignored.
Summons returned not served. Authorites can either ask for summons to be withdrawn, i.e. NFA or pursue through various channels to track NB down. Quite a number if you think who have records about you. (DVLA - Driving Licence + Vehicle records = at least a date of birth) They may even involved Plod and have NB details put on certain records as wanted for service of summons. Further Plod may be involved in a personal visit to old address as the start of enquiries to trace, which through a chain of information gleaned lead to a face to face confrontation with NB.

Now having amassed already 9 points, if proceedings are taken against NB for speeding, this latest offence, will under the totting procedure, involve a 6 months ban.

Now what to do?. That is entirely in the hands of NB. He either plays poker and does nothing, or he approaches the Authorities and bares his soul. In the later course of action then it may be prudent to involve a Solicitor.

DVD
thanks - Don'twannagetbanned
thankyou all those who responded, is that right the ban, if I go that way, is only 6 months? I was thinking it was 3 years. My job isn't car dependent, but I think I am. It's amazing really how much of a criminal you can become without really committing any crimes. I think the story about the pensioner getting banned is incredible, how the police twisted the actual truth from assisting the police, if they are really interested in slowing traffic down, then thats what he was doing, to 'obstructing the police'....madness!

Anyway, as for me I'm going to see a solicitor and not respond to the NIP until I'm equipped with more info, so any other suggestions much appreciated. And if some people in this group are 'entertained' by my predicament, thats ok too.

I must say I'm interested in where this whole speedcamera thing is going, it's blatantly obvious it's primary purpose is to generate revenue, I think the pensioner ought to sue the police for attempted mugging.
Police chief attacks scameras - teabelly
By Neil Mckay, The Journal

A North police chief is on a collision course with Government policymakers after accusing roadside speed camera supporters of "deliberately trying to mislead" over their effectiveness.

The controversial comments by County Durham Chief Constable Paul Garvin came on the day Transport Secretary Alistair Darling claimed casualties at fixed camera sites have fallen by 40pc - preventing over 100 deaths per year.

But Mr Garvin said: "The pro-camera lobby, and a lot of the safety partnerships, deliberately misquote the statistics to try and mislead people to try and justify their position.

"I think it is disingenuous if we are really intent on reducing casualties on the road - as opposed to enforcing speed limits and dishing out lots of tickets."

Mr Garvin estimates the number of accidents caused by speeding at between 3pc and 4pc - far less than those caused by drivers who are tired or drunk.

The chief constable said that more accidents are caused by poor driving

habits than simply speed limits being broken.

But Mr Darling argued that figures from across Britain show 100 fewer deaths and more than 700 fewer people seriously injured last year following the introduction of fixed cameras.

The number of pedestrians killed or seriously injured, he said, fell by 35pc.

He says the average speed of traffic at new camera sites fell by around 2.4 miles per hour.

He added: "These figures prove that cameras save lives. The number of people speeding has come down and there has been a significant reduction in deaths and injuries at camera sites."

Durham is one of only a handful of forces in Britain which does not use static speed cameras.

The force uses mobile speed cameras on 17 routes across the county, while police patrol cars also catch speeding motorists.

In contrast, there are static speed cameras at 48 sites across the Northumbria force area.

Ray King, s************ project manager for Speed for Life, a partnership between Northumbria Police, local councils, magistrates' courts and the Highways Agency, said: "I would not wish to comment on what Paul Garvin said. The new figures are for forces which have had fixed cameras for three years.

"We have had them for one year and it is too early to say how successful they have been, but we have seen an 11pc casualty reduction during that period.

"All our new fixed cameras are located at known collision hotspots where there is a history of people being killed or seriously injured.

"s************s are not the answer to all our problems on the road, but they do have an important role to play, if they can encourage us all to change our attitudes towards speeding."

Mr Garvin countered: "More accidents are caused by inattention, drink driving, or nowadays, more by driving under the influence of drugs.

"And these statistics adopted by certain forces show a woolly area regarding the proximity of speed cameras.

"Some statistics are taken from an area 20 metres from a camera and others from a two-kilometre radius."

But Mr Garvin insisted: "This force is not soft on speeding motorists. Our officers issue 7,000 speeding tickets a year. We adopt an intelligence-led approach by looking at persistent offenders and also targeting drink and drug driving and bad driving.

"Perhaps the Government should be held accountable for the fact that they have not agreed to fund the upgrading of the A66. That would save many more lives than speed cameras. The speed cameras issue is not a point of principle, it is a fact that they are pointless."

teabelly
Police chief attacks scameras - OldPeculiar
So are these latest statisics on speed camera effectiveness i.e. 100 less deaths based on an area within 20 meters of a camera? So this could mean "100 less deaths at speed camera loactions, 150 more a quarter of a mile down the road as drivers overall behaviour worsens'?
Police chief attacks scameras - BrianW
It is rare for repeated accidents to occur at exactly the same spot, so you could obtain the same percentage reduction in casualties by dropping a piece of chewing gum at an accident site as by installing a camera.

The only statistic that means anything is the national statistic for fatalities and this has not moved at all, having been stuck on 3,400 give or take a few for the last 6 or 7 years. (in fact since the large-scale roll-out of cameras, as it happens).
Police chief attacks scameras - OldPeculiar
I guess "Our speed camera policy has been a dramatic success in moving accidents from one road to another" doesn't sound so good as a press relese:)
Police chief attacks scameras - SR
"I guess "Our speed camera policy has been a dramatic success in moving accidents from one road to another" doesn't sound so good as a press relese:)"

...and that, of course, is the fault of the policy or the cameras. Perish the thought that the drivers concerned would actually take any responsibility for their own actions.....
Police chief attacks scameras - patently
Oh come on SR.

When speed cameras were thought to be effective, it was apparently ok to treat drivers as a uniform herd who can be corralled by any means that is justified by the ends.

When it is found that are not effective, suddenly drivers are sentient beings again, except that they cannot make rational decisions to avoid roads where they may be fined.

The more you defend cameras, the more you make me want to campaign to have every single one ripped out so that drivers can select the best road to make safe progress.
"The more you defend cameras, the more you make me want to campaign to have every single one ripped out so that drivers can select the best road to make safe progress."

The logical answer for a driver would be to select the main road and avoid the rat run with its pedestrian and schools.
But the authorities seem incapable of differentiating between a through route which should be made capable of conducting the maximum of traffic with the minimum of delays, and residential side roads from which non-local traffic should be discouraged and speeds limited.
That's how rat-runs are brought into being.
"When speed cameras were thought to be effective, it was apparently ok to treat drivers as a uniform herd who can be corralled by any means that is justified by the ends.

When it is found that are not effective, suddenly drivers are sentient beings again, except that they cannot make rational decisions to avoid roads where they may be fined.

The more you defend cameras, the more you make me want to campaign to have every single one ripped out so that drivers can select the best road to make safe progress."

The point I was making was not that drivers should not choose other roads, but that they should not drive on those roads in such a way as to cause more accidents. Drivers can select any road they want - what is so wrong with doing so legally, safely and with due regard for others?

The more you campaign against cameras, the more I hope and pray that the weak-willed politicians that run our country don't give in to you.
Nope. Not persuaded.

You're still looking for nirvana, SR, where there is no such thing as an "accident" because there was always a silly fool who we can blame, fine and give 3 points to. Back in the real world, most people TRY to avoid accidents all the time but somethimes fail. We need to take account of reality and use the road network at its best efficiency to minimise accident risk. We don't do this by discouraging people to use the best road for the job.

It is quite possible to drive legally, safely, with due regard for others, and still have an accident. Road safety is about reducing as far as possible the incidence of an intrinsically unlikely event - that is why is is not susceptible to quick fixes and obvious generalisations.

BTW - I never said I actually wanted to rip them all out, just that if this is their best defence, I might change my mind. Experience says that the people who disagree with me most vehemently are those that don't read my posts carefully enough.
Not looking for nirvana, patently, just for people to regard others' safety as more important than their own pursuit of speed and strike a reasonable balance. All accidents can be mitigated against if we try hard enough, and too many people are prepared to categorise negligence, carelessness or downright irresponsibility as "an accident".

I get shouted down for trying to take account of the REALITY that higher speeds make the consequences of unavoidable accidents more severe, but the REALITY is that those who contribute to increased accidents on roads they use to avoid cameras just prove the point.

Why can't they just stick to the original road and keep to the speed limit? If they're such good judges of what's safe, why do they have so many accidents? If the accidents are just part of reality, why did they increase so much after people started trying to avoid the cameras? Why can't accident RISK be minimised further by reducing speed? How is a road made more efficient by higher speeds then resulting in the inevitable measures to counter it?

I don't think you're entirely innocent of the "not reading posts" - I seem to begin every post responding to you by correcting how you chose to misinterpret what I said previously.
?you make me want to campaign to have every single one ripped out?

?I never said I actually wanted to rip them all out?

You can see how confusion might arise.
You missed:

"The more you defend cameras, the more "

when you quoted me.

I can well see how confusion arose.
Why not stick to the limit? - NowWheels
Why can't they just stick to the original road and keep
to the speed limit?

SR, that's the real question here ... it repaetedly generates the same set of answers from those who oppose enforcement.

The first bunch are the can't-walk-and-chew-gum drivers who insist that they cannot safely drive while watching their speedometers (though they rarely seem to have minimised other distractions by ripping out their car stereo and banning passengers from accompanying them). The defence of "I'm too incompetent to control my speed" is in itself a very good argument for getting them off the road quickly by letting them clock up penalty points.

The second group are the people who don't like any limits placed on their behaviour, regardless of the consequences for others. It's a sort of selfishly libertarian perspective, stripped of the responsibility to to others which has been central to all the different strands of liberal thought since Rousseau described the social contract as a replacement for authoritarian models pf socila organisation. (This group overlaps with those 4X4 drivers who ignore the hugely-increased dangers which their vehicles pose to other road-users, though as with speedsters, not all 4X4 drivers are fixatedly self-centered)

A more common version of this defence is a more limited one: the but-I-can-do-it-without-endangering-others argument, which assumes simply that not being involved in an accident is an indicator that the driving style is neither dangerous nor anti-social. This group are careful to exclude any consideration of other risks, such as the dangers of speed differentials, or of the extent to which they displace other road-users such as walkers, cyclists, horse-riders or just people trying to cross a road.

The third group are the most moderate of the speedsters: they often acknowledge the dangerous effects such as speed diffentials and displacement of other road-users. They just don't like anyone else telling them how to do that, because they reckon they know best ... so they wind themselves into endless contortions trying to find a logical way of explaining the illogical case that somebody requiring them to do what they know to be right makes them more dangerous than if they were left to do it themselves, even though they don't do it themselves.

The final group are the ones who provide the most entertainment value, and make the speeding and sp-camera threads such an enduring feature of the backroom ... paticularly since they are adept at underming their own by borrowing the incompatible arguments of the first two groups.

Bless 'em! Where else could we go for so much fun?
Police chief attacks scameras - NowWheels
When speed cameras were thought to be effective, it was apparently
ok to treat drivers as a uniform herd who can be
corralled by any means that is justified by the ends.

You make it sound as if the Gestapo were waiting on every street corner!

The reality is that limits were being very widely flouted, and where they are installed, cameras have helped to reduce breaches of the law.

There is plenty of evidence of their effectiveness, though the people who don't want to obey speed limits expend huge amounts of energy in trying to magnify any tiny holes which they think they have found in the data: the ABD's website, for example, is almost comical in its flawed logic.
When it is found that are not effective, suddenly drivers are
sentient beings again, except that they cannot make rational decisions to
avoid roads where they may be fined.

With any effort at law enforcement, there is some displacement effect: as you rightly obseve, some hardcore offenders will persist in finding other means to keep on offending. (A useful parallel is tax-avoidance, where armies of highly-paid professionals are engaged in devising new loopholes to replace the ones which are closed off)

Rat-runs have always existed, as a consequence of congestion: some drivers selfishly try to avoid the congestion by using other streets for purposes for which they are unsuitable. If there is a displacement effect from speed cameras, the existing solutions can be used, and more cameras can be deployed too.

The beauty of speed cameras is that the enforcement is cost-effective, which wasn't always the case with previous technologies (it's very expensive to deplaoy two officers in a car with a handheld device and manual form-filling). So, the more that the determined speedsters use other roads to evade the limits, the more cost-effective it becomes the instal cameras.

Rather than having the cameras ripped out, there's a really easy way to stop them being installed in the first place: stay far enough inside the limits to leave a reasonable margin of error.

If the cameras stop generating revenue, the camera partnerships won't have the funds to deploy many new ones, and will eventually be unable to justify the cost of maintaining existing cameras.
NW, I'll reply to your post because it is cogently argued and is not just an effort to return to red flags and a 2mph speed limit.

I'd agree wholeheartedly that speed cameras have helped to reduce breaches of the law. However, this is a circular argument. The purpose of that law is to make the roads safer, and the justification for the cameras is the same. However, the historic fatality rates show that cameras are not helping and the recently-released paper by HMG does not appear to provide support for them.

I think that it is a reasonable response by a rational individual to change route from a road where s/he runs a high risk of prosecution to one where s/he runs a low risk. Yes, do reduce both those risks by driving sensibly, but the risk differential is still there.

I don't see my criticisms as a tiny hole - cameras are there to make our roads safer, but they are not doing so! So we have a choice between a cost-effective system that doesn't work and an more expensive one that worked until we (by and large) stopped using it....

My view is that speed cameras have a role, but that they do not appear to be deployed in that role. They should be sited where the consequences of speeding will be serious ... primary schools etc. At present, they are sited where speeding is prevalent, which is not the same. For example, under the current rules, a camera would be put on the main road where every driver is at 50 instead of 40, in preference to outside the school where there is a 90mph idiot once a year. Yet the regular speeders on the main road could be caught and educated efficiently by a patrol car - they are there every day!* The occasional idiot is easy to catch with a camera but impossible with a patrol car, yet if allowed to continue he (I admit it would probably be a "he") would one day cause horrific damage.

This disjoint between the purported justification for cameras and the siting rules has two effects:

(1) it neuters the safety-enhancing effect of the cameras

(2) it makes them look like revenue machines, erodes respect for road safety enforcement, and erodes respect for the police.

*as an aside, the prevalence of speeding might be an indicator that the limit is wrong or that engineering work is needed. Note: MIGHT!!!!
Police chief attacks scameras - Mark (RLBS)
[sigh]

It really is nothing to do with cameras one way or the other. They merely enforce the speed limit.

The issue is the speed limit.

Campaign for sensible limits and ignore the total red herring that is speed cameras.
Arguably yes, Mark, but only at first sight.

Cameras affect people's behaviour in a different way, as compared to a speed limit sign. Some of that effect is good, some is not so good.

We need to deploy cameras where the good effects outweigh the bad. We seem to be doing the opposite. So there is a valid debate as to camera policy, independent of speed limit policy.
Police chief attacks scameras - Mark (RLBS)
Patently,

Cameras only have a negative effect because they are pretty much the only method of enforcement.

If, as well as cameras, there were veritable brigades of traffic police also after you for various types of misbehaviour, then the cameras would be one part.

The problem is campaigning against cameras and being seen to do that in isolation from all other issues.

If all cameras were removed tomorrow and replaced with a live policeman in each place, would we then be happy ? I think not, because the real problem is the inappropriate speed limit rather than its enforcement.

Of course, one can go back a step further and point out that speed limits may be the most popular area, but essentially the entire decision making process around junctions, roundabouts, traffic flow, speed limits, lane markings, one-way systems etc. etc. is essentially flawed.

If everybody keeps banging on about cameras then the situation will get worse. Single site cameras have pretty much seen their day anyway - opinion is going against them and other technologies are creeping up on them.

If I put the other cameras in, the ones that measure you over a distance [don't remember the name], throughout the length of the road, then any complaints about induced behaviour, sudden braking and the like will become invalid. But you'll still have a stupid speed limit enforced mechanically rather than by a person and it will take another 5 years to get them out. And if that is managed, then there will be satellite tracking and then...and then...

Go to the actual problems straight away..

Number of traffic police on the roads
Number of offences not detected
Actual Speed limits
Method/approach to decision making

Because those are not going away.

And finally while campaigning against speed cameras you are facing two opponents unneccessarily;

People who believe all laws should be enforced;
People who believe speed is the root of all evil;

You are basically saying that this law should nto be enforced becasue you want to drive faster. People will not hear you when you say that sometimes you want to drive slower, that speed limtis should be variable, that speed limtis are ineffective if set at the wrong level - all they will hear is that you want to tear-ass around the country and don't want the limits enforced against you - *I* know that is not what you are saying, but what you are saying is not relevant, only what other people hear is relevant or effective.

Rather than trying to convince those two groups that a law you don't like, and which probably does not affect them, should not be enforced is at best an uphill struggle and inherently flawed.

Much easier to sell to group 1 that you agree all speed limits should be enforced with cameras and that speed limits should be set using such and such methodology; ensuring that speed limits are more realistic;

And to sell to group 1 & 2 that many offences are being ignored because of the lack of police and the reliance on speed cameras.

Unless everybody truly believes that the speed limits are fine and it is the enforcement that is objected to - in which case may the fleas of a thousand camels......

And finally let us not hear about how nromal drivers can be left to decide the appropriate limit themselves, because they cannot. As a group that may be a valid approach, but for individuals it is not - "normal" people have stupid accidents, drive too fast, drive uninsured, etc. etc.

It doesn't matter that it only happens rarely - with millions of drivers on the road it only needs to happen once in a lifetime to each of them.

This is an area where PR and sensible selling will win the day. The emotive stuff alienates as many people as it convinces.

A more sensible, more objective and better explained campaign addressing the real issues in ways that explain to people how it affects all of them would be much more likely to succeed.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now.............
Mark,

Wow - possibly the longest post for a good while? Is there a prize for that?

I agree that speed limits are also often apparently in error, but I tend not to criticise them because

(a) I don't know all the facts so there might be a good reason
(b) with the state of democracy in this country it is downright impossible to challenge them and therefore pointless, and
(c) that would in fact be a statement that I want to tear around the country at high speed!

I think that it is possible to draw a distinction between the law and the process of enforcement. I accept there is a blurring at the edges, in that most speed limits were set when enforcement was harder, so compensate for this. But I still think it can be done. I can see your point, though.

I also agree wholeheartedly that the common response from some to any criticism of cameras is that I must therefore want to speed dangerously without regard for life and limb. I accept that my choice of vehicles doesn't help me here, but it really isn't the case. It saddens me that some people are apparently unable to understand that there can be a middle view.

(In fact, I'm now so sick of that assumption I don't intend to reply to one particular contributor - it's pointless)

So where do we go from here (apart from emigrating)? No idea.
Has any speed limit in the UK ever been reviewed and RAISED?
I think someone looked into it at found that this had never happened, but I can't remember who/when....
Police chief attacks scameras - teabelly
"There is plenty of evidence of their effectiveness, though the people who don't want to obey speed limits expend huge amounts of energy in trying to magnify any tiny holes which they think they have found in the data: the ABD's website, for example, is almost comical in its flawed logic."

What logic would that be? That there aren't any standard definitions of an area which is a speed camera site so that up to a 2km radius of a camera site can be included in its sphere of influence? Some areas include on definition and others another.Or would that be the regression to the mean effect which has not been considered which could allow for a 40% increase or reductions at any site meaning cameras do absolutely nothing either way? Or perhaps the addition of other engineering measures is not mentioned prominently when reductions in ksis occur at the those sites? Or the lack of traf police which means the persistantly dangerous drivers (usually driving unregistered and uninsured vehicles) are the ones causing a lot of the accidents? Or would that be the 5% reduction in fatalaties which has happened year on year for many years until speed cameras appeared and traffic police disappeared? Or perhaps the lack of control sites where accidents have occurred but no camera has been installed and either just engineering measures or nothing has been changed to see whether cameras make any difference? Or perhaps would that be it is almost impossible to get raw accident data out of scam partnerships to check the validity of their findings?

If your view of the world is correct and that cameras really do save lives and they're at accident black spots then there is nothing wrong with drivers avoiding routes with cameras, they are reducing their risk of an accident.

I have yet to see any proper data on whether people who regularly exceed the speed limit have a greater or lesser accident risk than those that always drive within the prevailing limit.

That progam on radio 4 will be well worth a listen as it has both sides of the argument with an independent statistician to see whether either side of the divide have understood what the statistics are telling them.
teabelly
OAP Fined £100 For V-Sign - Dynamic Dave

A pensioner who flashed a double V-sign at a speed camera has been fined £100 for not being in control of his vehicle.

Frank Benson,71, from Selside, Cumbria, made the gesture to a camera in Kendal.

Three weeks earlier the plumber had been fined £60 for doing 44mph in a 40mph zone.

Mr Benson\'s son Tom said the two-finger salute was a \"spur of the moment reaction\" in response to a previous fine.

He was fined £100 by South Lakeland Magistrates and ordered to pay £35 costs.

www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-13131728,00.h...l