The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 20 - Dynamic Dave

**** THREAD CLOSED, PLEASE CONTINUE DISCUSSION IN

"The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 21" ****

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=21659

For the continued discussion of all things pertaining to Speed Cameras.

Volume nineteen filled up.

This is Volume 20, 19 is closed but can be viewed here:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20346

There is no need to repeat anything since earlier volumes will not be deleted, although I am quite sure that this will not stop you.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18846

S 172 loophole no more - Dwight Van Driver
(Mods move this to the Speed thread if you must but so important that I put it here so that it is not missed).

At the High Court today it was held that when Forms sent out after offence detected by camera to name driver etc then it has to be returned signed. The old loop hole of sending back unsigned has therfore been closed.

Full judgement in 14 days time

tinyurl.com/2qbjg

DVD

S 172 loophole no more - Pugugly {P}
Oh dear.

Isn't Mr Francis a BRer ?
S 172 loophole no more - cockle {P}
Haven't seen him post for a while now, but, yes Idris was certainly around the BR for quite some time. I seem to recollect that he vowed he would take his fight to the highest courts available so we may not have heard the last yet!

Cockle
S 172 loophole no more - Thommo
High Court often overturned at Court of Appeal or House of Lords so lets hope he's fighting on.
S 172 loophole no more - Flat in Fifth
Idris is waiting for the ruling to see if it is worthwhile taking this any further.

Money is a big issue approx £12,000 iirc is the cost of the next stage.

Anti-Radar spray for number plates? - Chris - nearly an ex-pat...

Does this stuff work? First I've heard of it. I see there are no testimonials or test results or anything on the site.
Anti-Radar spray for number plates? - Altea Ego
This is a very complex issue. No they dont work.
Anti-Radar spray for number plates? - Motorwayman
Does this stuff work? First I've heard of it. I see
there are no testimonials or test results or anything on the
site.

A friend of a friend told me that it worked. Please let me know how you get on!
Anti-Radar spray for number plates? - Altea Ego
Your friend lied to you
Anti-Radar spray for number plates? - puntoo
The rumour was that by using Hair Spray, the flash of the camera would reflect off the numberplate and make it unreadable.

Of course it does not work, but your hair will look nice for the camera.

Anti-Radar spray for number plates? - Civic8
as far as I am aware the camera actualy scans the plate usually
with a better scan than you will get from your scanner on pc.
ie no amount of covering up will prevent you getting caught.I reckon a good idea?
Anti-Radar spray for number plates? - Thommo
I find what works best is a large lump of mud in the appropriate places. No traffics patrols now so no chance of being caught.

Also I am told an inapproriately placed bicycle on a carrier rack is also a good bet for cameras that photograph the rear of the vehicle.
Anti-Radar spray for number plates? - Mapmaker
Motorwayman. You posted a very sanctimonious response to the new no-waiting sign outside my front door and told me to shut up or move house, and that all motoring laws should be enforced to the letter. Yet suddenly you are being offered the chance to avoid speeding tickets by magically hiding your numberplate, and you ask for further details. Forgive, please, my bemusement!
More speed cameras! (No, really) - David Horn
This might go against everything most people want, but I have a suggestion for sorting out the wretched people who insist on doing stupid speeds on motorways.

First of all, increase the speed limit to 80MPH. This is, I think, a safe maximum, and one most cars should be comfortable cruising at.

Then, stick speed cameras every few miles and hide them. No good if people can see them coming. And, finally, set them to take pictures at 85MPH, or even slightly less. That way they'll catch Mr. BMW "I-can't-actually-drive-to-save-my-life" Driver when he hurtles along thinking stopping distances can be measured in millimetres. Hopefully, the fines will hurt his pocket, and it's not as though anyone's going to miss them if they're banned.

On the other hand, they can take some speed cameras out of the towns - on Whitworth road in Rochdale there are 20 odd cameras in five miles.
More speed cameras! (No, really) - CM
I thought that the BR had done this BMW bashing bit and moved on. Shame that you included it in your post as in my eyes in detracts from some valid points.
More speed cameras! (No, really) - BazzaBear {P}
I would suggest that speeding in a town is much more likely to cause an accident than speeding on a motorway. Therefore I'd suggest that they reduce the numebr of camera's on motorways - and a-riads unless an accident blackspot, and increase them in towns. Especially near Schools, etc.
Is there any particular reason why you hate to see someone doing 85 on the motorway but are quite happy to see 40 on a residential street?
More speed cameras! (No, really) - Shaz {p}
I agree Bazza,

I would prefer speed cameras in towns/cities especially near schools. Better then ramps (God I hate those).

In Nottngham speed humps are being placed almost everywhere - on main roads - I would have thought speed cameras would do the job better - and not increase wear/tear on the car in the process!
More speed cameras! (No, really) - patently
Interestingly, during the debate about whether to allow the use of speed cameras in the UK, Parliament was told that they would not be deployed on motorways.
More speed cameras! (No, really) - terryb
Au contraire. I propose introducing a minimum speed limit on motorways - 50 mph should do it - to reduce bunching and blockages. It might discourage membership of the Centre Lane Owners' Club too, although more active policing of this would help.
Terry

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand"
More speed cameras! (No, really) - BrianW
50 mph minimum would be too high.
Lorries limited to 56mph would be in for a fine as soon as they reached a hill.
My 100cc scooter is limited to 50mph but perfectly legal on a motorway with the right licence.
More speed cameras! (No, really) - keo-the-dog
50 mph minimum would be too high.
Lorries limited to 56mph would be in for a fine as
soon as they reached a hill.
My 100cc scooter is limited to 50mph but perfectly legal on
a motorway with the right licence.

so what is engine minimum size on motorway i thought it was 125cc. obviously not
More speed cameras! (No, really) - martint123
Tut tut tut...

www.highwaycode.gov.uk/23.shtml#227

Prohibited vehicles. Motorways MUST NOT be used by pedestrians, holders of provisional car or motorcycle driving licences unless exempt, riders of motorcycles under 50cc, cyclists and horse riders. Certain slow-moving vehicles and those carrying oversized loads (except by special permission), agricultural vehicles and most invalid carriages are also prohibited.
Are you saying that a vehicle capable of 50mph is prohibited?
Ah: just re-read it and I think martini123's answer was referring to engine capacity mininum and not speed maximum.
Sorry.
More speed cameras! (No, really) - volvoman
Admittedly, I don't use the motorways all that much but the M25 is a regular. I really don't see too many people doing 50! IME 80, 90 mph is far more common. The spped limit is defined as the maximum speed it is safe to drive at in idealm conditions yet who drives at 50 on the motorway even during a thunderstorm? Raising the speed limit to 80 will have no effect on the main problem which is that too many people drive too fast for the prevailing conditions - weather or traffic or both. Yes, in clear, dry conditions with little traffic 80, 90, 100 mph may well be safe but the problem is that too many people seem either unable or unwilling to act responsibly in the conditions prevalent most of the time. For this reason alone I'd far rather the limit wasn't raised until driver behaviour improves and the sort of dangerous antics we all witness regularly are a thing of the past.
More speed cameras! (No, really) - SR
I would tend to agree with David Horn - set reasonable speed limits and enforce them more rigidly. However, I would not have hidden cameras every few miles (very expensive, and would lead to accusations of raising revenue to pay for them) but have more mobile cameras, operated by more police patrols, and not tell anyone where they are!
More speed cameras! (No, really) - Peter D
A Gatso camera, whether digital or film, does not scan anything. It takes two images, thus the two flashes are a known time apart. The RF sensor samples the shift in frequency ( doppler ) caused by the vehicle travelling in the beam and calculates the speed and writes it to the film The two images are taken to identify the vehicles registration number and as proof of how far you travelled in the time between the calibrated flashes. This also serves to identify the offender if two vehicle, i.e. a dual carriageway, are in the beam. Just detecting frequency shift ( Doppler ) is not very difficult, you basically mix the incoming waveform with a sample of the transmitting waveform, this then reveals the doppler frequency which directly reveals the speed of the object in the beam. However it does not reveal in which direction the frequency shift is in, that would complicate the signal processing significantly, thus the camera also goes off when travelling towards it although they do not normally issue NIP’s for these. The newer IR cameras take the image from the front and are not detectable as they are passive and are triggered by sensors in the road. Many cameras are now directly linked by landline and processed electronically, registration checked for valid road tax and the NIP issued before you get home. Regards Peter
The Speed Camera Thread XX - RFC
Went through a Truvelo a bit fast today, garage had adjusted tracking and had got steering wheel off centre. I went on Leighton Buzzard bypass to check steering and therefore not paying as much attention to road as I should! Went through new Truvelo. Thought speed limilt 60 but is 50 (for junction) Slowed down. Did not see flash. I know Truvelo use magenta filter (cf past threads) So, should I expect to see a flash in broad daylight from Truvelo? Or had I slowed enough?
The Speed Camera Thread XX - smokie
No, and probably no.

14 day wait...good luck
The Speed Camera Thread XX - Altea Ego
No and possibly no. speed limit 50, If speedo was showing 60 the car was probably doing 55-57 mph. camera probably set to trigger at 55mph. If you washed off a tad of speed, you may be ok, - anxious wait tho for brown envelope.
The Speed Camera Thread XX - redafour
On the A61 between Alfreton and Chesterfield there exists a couple of truvelos one for each direction.Why is the road markings after the camera not before and why do these cameras elicit no response from my combined detector?Could it be they are dummies put there to make dummies out of us?
The Speed Camera Thread XX - smokie
Whoever sited the cameras and painted the road is in crisis. Gatsos take a pic of the rear of the car after you have passed it, and need the lines to perform calibration. Truvelos take your pic as you approach the camera and are (I think) triggered by wires under the road and need no lines.

They could be empty shells. The police around London only have enough guts for something less than 25% (if that) of Gatsos, so they could be live one week but dead for three months.
Speed Awareness Course - Bromptonaut
SWMBO was snapped by Northants mobile camera, 35 in a 30. Has been offered a let off on the points if she attends a speed awareness course. Still has to pay £60, though not clear if that is a fine or a fee for the privilege of attending. Anyone been on a similar event.

Might teach her to look further ahead, caught on a straight road thru' the edge of a village (Butchers Lane Pattishall for those who know the area). How you can miss the s***** camera van parked there is beyond me.
The Speed Camera Thread XX - redafour
Whoever sited the cameras and painted the road is in crisis.
Gatsos take a pic of the rear of the car after
you have passed it, and need the lines to perform calibration.
Truvelos take your pic as you approach the camera and are
(I think) triggered by wires under the road and need no
lines.
They could be empty shells. The police around London only have
enough guts for something less than 25% (if that) of Gatsos,
so they could be live one week but dead for three
months.

>
Thanks for that Smokie.It could be that they paint these lines on the road to frighten drivers into slowing down just like Ray did to Jerry in Phoenix nights lol mind you that was good comedy what they do in Derbyshire is pathetic.
The Speed Camera Thread XX - RFC
Thanks for comments. I guess it's waiting time. I will post what happens.
Park on dbl yellow to change camera film - Ben79
While driving near Shipley Station yesterday, I saw a West Yorkshire police marked van with yellow lights (they weren't flashing) parked with 2 wheels on the pavement on a double yellow lined road so that he didn't have to walk an extra 25 yards from the adjacent road where he could have parked out of the way.

I wish I had left my digital camera in the car, I'd have sent a photo of him to the chief constable.

That strech of road is famous in the area. It used to be a 40mph area until a few years ago, then it became 30, then islands appeared, now we have 4 scameras in each direction spread over a mile.

Going towards Leeds, the uphill flattens out, road gets wider and the islands disappear. This is where the speeding and stupid overtaking happens, police camera vans are often parked half on the pavement here, often near to a zebra crossing.

Its a trap, they are trying to catch you!

Ben
The Speed Camera Thread XX - pipire
Yesterday in his reply to TD Preston "Cops and Robbers" HJ said "The argument for this is if they don't if get the money from motorists they would have to get it from elsewhere".

In two years bills for council tax i.e., twelve months and one day, the content of these bills which is for Police costs has gone up by over 70% seventy per cent!

I suspect that is for the helicoptor.

Pipire.
The Speed Camera Thread XX - BobbyG
Friend of mine went to court to plead against his camera fine due to it being a road he had never been on, confusion over the speed limit etc in the hope that his personal pleading may have got him a lesser fine.

Guy that was up before him was a heroin addict and had held up 3 shops, holding syringes to the staff to get money. His lawyer pleaded that a prison sentence would do him no good as he was now undergoing intense therapy for his addiction. Guy got off with it.

My friend didn't. He got his fine and points.
The Speed Camera Thread XX - Thommo
Which is why the law is falling in to total disrepute and why anyone with two pennies to rub together is heading for the door marked exit...

'bit political' as Ben Elton used to say...
The Speed Camera Thread XX - teabelly
tinyurl.com/3xdd4

The above red cross volunteer received a fine for speeding while he was hurrying to find a layby to pull over into to stop a passenger choking to death. I also notice that he called a Doctor on his mobile phone to ask what to do...... bit obvious that if someone has swallowed their tongue you try and get it out!

Had he stopped in the road with hazards on, would have have been in more or less trouble?
teabelly
The Speed Camera Thread XX - foothard down
I left the uk around ten years ago, now i live in europe,when i read theese notes,newspapers,see brit tv i have to wonder where our principles have gone it seems to me that it makes you happy to shop your fellow motorist etc sure you cant do 60 in town but badly parked photographed and sent to cheif constable does seem out of line to me.I think your reading to many do gooders articles and seeing too much tv.
Laser guns inaccurate? - teabelly
Another snippet from safespeed. This one could get exciting as it now means that evidence from laser guns could be unsafe. As people are already finding that ordinary speed cameras could be inaccurate at times does this mean the end of automated speed infringement detection or the start of something more insidious (like gps speedos)? Or possibly an increase in the amount of fines to cover the cost of extra administration involved in checking all the video evidence?

News: For immediate release.

We are hearing of dropped court cases all around the country concerning laser speed cameras in mobile vans. The cases are being dropped when defendants exercise their legal rights by demanding to see the "traffic video", 7 days before a court hearing.

Paul Smith, founder of the Safe Speed campaign said: "The rumours are that some of these traffic videos prove that the equipment does not always record speeds correctly. We don't know of any other explanation for these mysterious failures of the CPS to provide traffic videos when formally requested."

UK law, drafted in the interests of a fair trail, provides an opportunity for both sides to examine the evidence prior to trial in a process known as "disclosure". Defendants are entitled to disclosure of evidence no later than 7 days before the trial. Any evidence not so disclosed must should be excluded from consideration by the court. If a traffic video is not disclosed, then it cannot be admitted as evidence and no corroborative evidence of the speed of the vehicle would be available to the court.

Paul continues: "We strongly recommend that no one submits to a trial in one of these cases without proper advanced disclosure of the video evidence.A short clip is not enough, the entire video comprises one "document" and defendants are entitled to disclosure of the whole document."

These doubts about the legal evidence in speeding cases are centred around the "LTI 20/20" laser speed meter. Most, if not all, mobile speed traps in the UK use this particular equipment. In a typical application the laser speed meter is linked to video recording apparatus that records continuous video from a speed trapping session. The vehicles and their number plates are recorded on the video, and the speed readings from the laser speed meter are superimposed on the pictures. This means that the video is the main evidence of the speeding offence.

The LTI 20/20 has been criticized for spurious readings in other countries according to reports.

teabelly
The Speed Camera Thread XX - patently
Suggest you take a look at:

www.users.on.net/mushroom/trafficletter.pdf

for a suggestion of how to deal with an incorrectly filled out NIP....
Quick one - jpfarrello
98mph on M4 from a camera in a van on the bridge in front of me.

Whils admitting it was wrong to you lot,(and not very observant) I would like to avoid points and fine. I understand the Hamiltons excuse of not knowing whos was driving at the time is no longer able to be used. Any ideas??
Quick one - Marc
Whereabouts on the M4 if you don't mind me asking?
Quick one - jpfarrello
Junction 34 W bound near Bridgend.
Quick one - Altea Ego
98mph? yes that was a quick one.

The ways of getting out of speed camera prosecutions are closing fast. Sure it was a speed camera?

98 indicated probably means nearer to 90 actual, so at least its points & fine and not a ban.
Quick one - jpfarrello
I thought that it was more ninety, but the NIPS says 98.
Quick one - Altea Ego
NIPS? oh blimey its got that far then.
Quick one - DavidHM
Suggestion: be thankful you weren't caught in the new 50 mph limit on the other side?

PS, looking at your previous posts, you are a troll and I claim my £5.
Quick one - jpfarrello
I think that it is a waste of time to bore everybody silly with "I think I was flashed, will I get into trouble" Save space for the ones on way to court!
Quick one - jpfarrello
David, I am not sure what a troll is...but as we both live in SW London shall I bring the fiver round??
Quick one - flathat
Why not save the space altogether by not speeding.
Speeding is purely voluntary and one should just kick yourself for volunteering.
Quick one - smokie
I've just realised that when I'm tearing past the people going at 70 on the motorway, a high proportion of them could be BackRoomers!!! I've never met so many people in one place who are so law abiding, when it comes to speed...

:-)
Quick one - Altea Ego
wish you would spend less time gawking at the people in the middle lane, thats me behind you flashing my lights
Quick one - teabelly
If it was a laser gun then ask to see the accompanying video as these laser guns aren\'t always accurate so the case might be dropped on a technicality. But you run the risk of the film showing you were going faster than 98mph but equally it could show you were going more slowly. If you knew you were speeding at the time and no-one else was likely to be driving then it is better to just take the points.

teabelly
Quick one - No Do$h
This really is getting unsporting. Any other places where the police are known to use cameras on bridges?
Quick one - BrianW
This really is getting unsporting. Any other places where the
police are known to use cameras on bridges?

Coming into Exeter from Honiton on the A30.
Quick one - Mark (RLBS)
M40
Quick one - flathat
Motorway approaches to Forth Road Bridge
Quick one - runboy
Anyone in the Norwich area read about the recent fiasco? The casualty reduction partnership/thinktank who study crash data and decide where to place gatso's have been questioned on camera placement. Turns out the data they used to substantiate camera placement has been shredded and they can not prove their case.

Result-at least one camera in Norwich taken out of action, possibly more/all to follow.

Wonder what the papers will make of this!
Traffic Signal Camera - Welliesorter
It looks as if I'm about to acquire my first penalty points, the result of a flash from a traffic signal camera. I don't recall actually going through a red light although I did see the flash. My only defence (not something I'd seriously expect to use) is that I was distracted by being horribly lost in an unfamiliar city. Infuriatingly, I quickly realised that I was exactly where I wanted to be but didn't recognise the road in the dark and when approached from an unfamiliar direction. I suppose it's arguable that it was all the more important that I take care to observe signals in such circumstances.

This is more a cause of concern for me than it would be for most drivers as I'm still covered by the Road Traffic (New Drivers) Act for the next ten months. Briefly, this means six points and you're out.

Given that I'm just going to have to accept this on the chin, I wonder if anyone here can help with a few questions. There's a huge amount of information on the web about cameras that detect speed but any information about traffic signal cameras is only added as an afterthought.

• The letter states that photographic evidence exists but I can only see it by applying in person at an office 300 miles from home. It specifically states that under no circumstances will photos be sent by post. Is this usual?
  • If I did ask to see the pictures, what would they prove? I realise that for a speeding offence there'd be two pictures showing the car at different points on the road at particular times, but how do they show evidence of having gone through a red light?
  • I have 28 days to return the form. If I delay for a couple of weeks, will the points get applied to (and removed from) my licence later or is it based on the date of the offence?
  • My insurance is due for renewal before the end of the month. Do I need to tell my insurance company? The renewal quote arrived in the same post as the NIP and contains no information on this. It only mentions insurance claims made in the last five years. If I do need to tell them, can this wait until after I've been given my penalty points? I'm not sure how long the paperwork for this takes but it's likely to happen after my insurance is renewed. I'm almost certainly going to continue using the same company because they're cheaper and offer a higher level of cover than the many others from whom I've obtained quotes.
  • Finally, more in desperation than expectation, does anyone know if Lothian and Borders have a scheme whereby a driver education course is offered in place of penalty points? Are these only for speeding offences?

Apologies if this is ground that has been covered before. I have done a forum search but it may be that I'm not searching for the right terms.

Thanks in anticipation.

Traffic Signal Camera - Dwight Van Driver
1. The first stage of your brush with the law on this matter is what is called the Conditional Offer. This allows someone who is guilty of the offence mentioned the opportunity of having it dealt with fast, with the minimum of inconvienance apart from assault on the wallet and rape of Driving Licence with the points and no Court appearance. It also frees up Court time.The next step is for those that do not consider themselves guilty to elect a trail at Magististrates Court. With Conditional Offer there is nothing in law that states the authorities have to supply photographic evidence, some do some don't. But if Court is elected then there is a procedure to have all the evidence presented to you before Court under disclosure rules.

2. Have a look at the following:

www.tinyurl.com/38z6e

www.tinyurl.com/yupst

which explains how the camera works.

3. No point in delaying as points (3 under Conditional Offer or at Court for failing to conform to traffic sign) take effect from the date of the offence. To do otherwise would mean people would keep adjourning cases to avoid a disqualification.

4. Read your Policy and I think you will find that Insurance Company ask that you advise them of any convictions (including Conditional Offers) even during the lifetime of a valid Insurance Certificate.

5. Would have thought the offer of driver education may have been with the documents you received if it was. Nevertheless you can clear this point up in an EMail to:

enquiries@lbp.pnn.police.uk

Finally looks as if you will now have to be ultra careful for in the two years after passing the Test another 3 points and your Licence will be revoked and back to L Plates.

DVD
Thanks DVD for such a comprehensive reply. As I said before, I don't see any alternative but to accept the conditional offer. If the offer of driver education were available (wouldn't this be offered after the identity of the driver was established?) I might possibly consider a 600 mile round trip to avoid three points.

I can't find any information in any of the documents provided by my insurance company so I'll just have to phone them and ask. All I've ever been asked to disclose (and it's in the policy documents) is whether I've been in any accidents in the past five years. In fact, when I took out the policy I was struck by how little they asked and even queried this with them.

Obviously it's a sobering experience, partly because I'm now within three points of losing my licence but also because, other than seeing the camera flash, I don't remember committing the offence. I just remember a vague feeling that I was lost and probably in the wrong lane. I suppose you could argue that an incompetent driver is as bad as a reckless one.
Traffic Signal Camera - BobbyG
Out of curiosity where was the camera? I travel a lot through Lothian & Borders and don't remember seeing any, unless it was maybe in the middle of Edinburgh?
Out of curiosity where was the camera?

London Road in Edinburgh. I think I missed the light because I was trying to decipher the road markings (which lane goes where and which is a bus lane etc.).

Complete(?) lists at www.checkyourspeed.co.uk/camera_sites/default.asp

I seem to remember seeing plenty of speed cameras on the A68 approaching Edinburgh.

Traffic Signal Camera - BobbyG
Yeah had seen plenty of speed cameras but not traffic light cameras, however I didn't spend much time in the actual city, tried best to avoid it even if it meant longer journeys on the bypass!
Traffic Signal Camera - philipb
I couldn't agree more about the dangers of driving in unfamiliar territory. Unless you know exactly where you are going, the chance of finding the road you are looking for and spotting Blair's Yellow fund raisers at the same time are decreasingly low. I got my first speeding fine in 13 years doing exactly that last year. I have therefore decided to get a VW Touran with Satellite Navigation so hopefully the car can concentrate on where we are heading and I can keep my eyes peeled for road-based hazards.

Has anyone got any good or bad experiences with the Road Angel or similar devices advertised on national television by Tiff Needell?
Traffic Signal Camera - terryb
Philipb
I've got a road angel - I recently upgraded from a Morpheous Geodesy.
So far nothing but good to report. The company responded quickly to my registration and sent the CD-rom for updating via the web promptly. First update took a few minutes but subsequent ones are incremental so much quicker.

GPS is excellent and locks onto satellites much quicker and better than the Geodesy. I hope I never need to use the breakdown location feature though!

I've just about got it set up to my requirements now (volume, warning distance etc) - blackspot "chirrup" is particularly useful for identifying danger areas with no cameras. It's amazing how many of these are around motorway junctions!

Terry

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand"
The Speed Camera Thread XX - BobbyG
Driving on M8 today just passing the roadworks at Livingston and in the opposite carriageway there was an artic passing the speed camera and, whether by luck or by skill, a guy in a Vectra overtook him at , I would say at least 70mph, at excactly the point when he passed the camera.
I assume the guy will have avoided a fine as the HGV will have blocked him? (Speed Limit 40).
Think it was more luck than skill...

The Speed Camera Thread XX - Welliesorter
A similar thing happened to me while passing a speed camera recently. I was travelling at a little below the limit. The driver of the car overtaking me must have been easily exceeding the speed limit but he'd have got away with it by being on the wrong side of the road as he passed. I wonder if any reasearch has been done into dodgy overtaking past speed cameras.
The Speed Camera Thread XX - teabelly
The driver of the overtaking car should have set the camera off if it was active even if he was on the wrong side of the road. I think they have been designed with this in mind as otherwise everyone would just go over to the wrong side of the road! The photos will prove that you were under the speed limit so you should have nothing to worry about.

Something that has quite astonished me is the poll safespeed are running which suggests that nearly half of all drivers look at their speedos 3 times when in a camera zone. (www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=247 ) It seems another quarter look even more than that! I can't understand why anyone would want to check their speed that often. Surely once is enough, or maybe twice when on a hill, or is it that people are only conforming to the speed limit in camera zones rather than doing it most of the time so they can't do it without continually checking their speedo? I wonder if there is a correlation between the number of speedo checks and the number of points already on a persons licence? More worringly is the amount of time this must represent for a driver not to be looking where they are going. Even at 30 mph a second or so for each look at the speedo and then refocus is quite a distance to be travelling blind. If cameras are supposed to be in accident black spots then it can't be good to have drivers staring at the speedo rather than watching the road ahead can it? Add those that panic brake in front of a camera then you are going to get rear end shunts as the person behind is looking at their speedo as the person in fronts slams on the brakes to scrub off 10 mph so they're doing 30 in a 40 like they all do around here.
teabelly
The driver of the overtaking car should have set the camera
off if it was active even if he was on the
wrong side of the road.

Well... I did wonder whether this rather obvious evasion technique had been thought of! The road markings for the cameras were very obvious on the road in question and were on both sides.

I can't
understand why anyone would want to check their speed that often.

Normal paranoia. The same thing that law-abiding people get when passing a police station. Or is that just me?
The Speed Camera Thread XX - BrianW
I am as paranoid as well.
I find myself checking the speedo a couple of time whilst going past the camera as well as looking back in the mirror to make sure it hasn't been set off by a following vehicle or one going in the opposite direction, so that I need to note my speed, time and place.
I don't trust the things and can't afford points and increased insurance premiums, so t's self-defence.
I've checked the road, pavements etc. ahead so there is a one in a million chance of an unexpected hazard coming up ahead as opposed to an absolute certainty of a NIP if I get it wrong.
m25 camera score - - henry k

Reported in the press today:
In 10 weeks 8 cameras on the 4.3 mile section between J12 and J14 of the M25 near Heathrow have caught 10767 speeding offences in this 40mph zone.
Edmund King of the RAC Foundation said more signs are needed to warn drivers of the lower limit.

I have driven through this section in both directions in day time and in the wee small hours and did not have any problems seeing the signs.

They even have a running total displayed.

With the usual contaflows, narrow lanes, missing hard shoulders there has to be a low limit. I know it is frustrating in the middle of the night but surely keeping to 40 mph is not a great skill.

A £60 each there is an estimate, at this rate, of £6.5M in two years going to a well known charity.

All a bit worrying if these drivers cannot read signs and drive at 40 mph when there are less distractions than on non motorway roads.

m25 camera score - - BobbyG
I am anti - camera as with most people here, see it as a revenue earner etc etc

However, driving though a Welsh village last week I came across one of these speed camera vans parked up with the back window open and the radar hanging out. The speed limits for the village were there for all to see, the van had all the fluorescent markings reqd so I really wonder about anyone who was caught - exactly how much attention are they paying?

Same on M8 today - standard issue of roadworks, all the signs up warning of speed reductions from 800 yds away, camera signs, cameras at side of road with fluorescent markings and still they were flashing away!

Now, by the simple nature of us all being on this forum we are probably more interested and more aware of motoring matters than the average motorist, but in this day and age if someone is caught on camera going thru roadworks, well, to be brutal, I think they deserve it. Forget the argument about why they are there, are they needed, are they revenue raisers etc, we all know there is a good chance that they are there so why not just stick to the speedlimit for that stretch? If someone misses all the signs indicating speed limits etc, what else are they missing? You carrying out your manoeuvre in front of them?
m25 camera score - - Welliesorter
...if someone is caught on camera going thru roadworks, well, to
be brutal, I think they deserve it.

Perhaps you're right, but this is one area where you see the very alarming herd mentality of motorways. It's so easy to think no-one else is slowing down so I won't either. You rationalise this by assuming that the other drivers have local knowledge and aren't worried about the cameras or perhaps know better than you that the speed restriction isn't necessary. I'm sure a social pyschologist would have a name and a better explanation for this sort of behaviour.

I've passed through a lot of roadworks recently because I've covered more miles than I normally do. No-one was keeping to the limit in any of them, although there was a marked difference between those that had cameras and those that didn't. By attempting to keep to the temporary speed limit myself I caused tailbacks and some very dangerous looking overtaking manoeuvres on the part of those who unwilling to slow down for the odd mile.
m25 camera score - - BobbyG
I hear what you are saying and I have also experienced it as well , but at the end of the day if you are caught then you get the points not them!

Always remember that the day before the cameras were put up, they weren't there!!
m25 camera score - - No Do$h
I wouldn't object to the cameras on the M25 (which I negotiate several times a week) if I could see some of these contractors that the blessed things are supposed to be protecting. In the 4 miles of roadworks I rarely count more than 5 working contractors (including those in cranes) yet there is a village of caravans and portacabins between Jn 13 and 12 counterclockwise.

Certainly at 00:30 there is no movement from the contractors and few other cars in sight, yet the limit and the cameras persist. Ok, so dropping to 40 may only add 3 or 4 minutes to my journey at that time of night, but they're my 3 or 4 minutes, damn it!
m25 camera score - - Dwight Van Driver
Oh dear No Dosh - another smack on the wrist for you (don't get noughty now""""")

Road Works are planned, costed and contracted out to a fairly tight budget and time scale.

Coning and signing can take up to half a day to setup/take down requiring ateam of Traffic Management Operatives who don't work for nothing.

The Traffic Order for the works, speed, prohibited vehicles, traffic flow directions are 24/7 for the duration of the works.

Cones etc are left in situ (except where possible for Bank Holidays) to cut down on thre time scale planned for the works. Your 3 minute delay may well be saving you an extra week of problems.

DVD

PS. Your doing a great job x x x x
m25 camera score - - No Do$h
Coning and signing can take up to half a day to
setup/take down

Ooooh not in this case. Proper steel and concrete barriers, set up for the duration it would seem.
The Traffic Order for the works, speed, prohibited vehicles, traffic flow
directions are 24/7 for the duration of the works.

All too aware of that. It's the "Why oh why oh why" of it that gets me.
Cones etc are left in situ (except where possible for Bank
Holidays) to cut down on thre time scale planned for the
works. Your 3 minute delay may well be saving you
an extra week of problems.

Still seems plain daft to have three lanes available, no traffic in sight, no contractors within 500yards and still have to do 40. Still, nobody said it was fair.
PS. Your doing a great job x x x x

Aren't I though? Nice of you to say so!

::: Mental note to self: DVD is after something.... :::

No Dosh
mailto:Alan_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
m25 camera score - - Mapmaker
Bad enough to be the only driver doing (anything close to) the speed limit in a 40 zone on a motorway.

There's one thing that is much worse, and that is the Rotherhithe tunnel (under the Thames). This has a 20mph speed limit, and cameras at both entrances. Beyond this, it is a race track, where cars happily do up to 60mph when the road is quiet.

Woebetide the driver who is doing a legal 20mph. You are guaranteed a queue of cars behind you. That's bad enough, but then they'll start hooting away, and quite soon there'll be more noise than the Queen Mary leaving port.
m25 camera score - - Flat in Fifth
"Still seems plain daft to have three lanes available, no traffic in sight, no contractors within 500yards and still have to do 40. Still, nobody said it was fair."

Bet you wouldn't complain if in the dead of night you encounter a metal sign blown edge on in the middle of the carriageway. Not unknown either.

m25 camera score - - patently
Bet you wouldn't complain if in the dead of night you
encounter a metal sign blown edge on in the middle of
the carriageway. Not unknown either.

A fair point, and a snag that I experienced on that section of the M25 last time they widened it. Told plod but they seemed to have better things to do.

Equally, though, it could be a broken down/crashed motorbike, a fallen light, a piece of HGV tyre, a tarpaulin flapping in the wind,.... none of which are highlighted with 40mph signs and Gatsos.

Agree entirely that if someone can't see the limit signs in those roadworks then they should not have a licence. However, its not a pleasant experience trying to stick to them, given that no-one else ever wants to.

What confuses me is that roadworks used to prompt a 50 limit, now it's often a 40. Were the contractors made of carbon fibre and fitted with crumple zones in the old days? If so, why are they made of softer stuff these days?
m25 camera score - - Flat in Fifth
thanks for the support patently.

mind you on the other hand a motorway camera which has had the old FiF bottle going a time or two on dark nights.

There you are, having faithfully stuck to the limit through the roadworks, booting it nicely just after the roadworks end sign only to get a flash flash from a camera monitoring traffic on a bridge crossing over the motorway. Just for that second you think "Oh .........."
m25 camera score - - patently
How about the cameras monitoring the variable speed limits on the M25? VERY important to keep your eyes away from the other side - I looked across once just as someone set them off. Flash flash, right in my eyes.

A major contribution to road safety .... as I reminded myself when my vision came back a few hundred yards later....
m25 camera score - - BrianW
Try that at night on a motorbike in rain.
Vision goes completely.
I wonder what plod's reaction would be if I stood at the side of the road taking flashlight photos at night?
m25 camera score - - Altea Ego
Ref the roadworks on the M25, and the RAC saying "the limit needs better signs"? Sorry? are they mad? There is no way of missing these signs. Anyone who gets nicked here because they cant see the signs should have the points trippled and BANNED.

I dont want to be anywhere on the same road with someone who's eyesight or awareness is that bad.

Anway its fun on those roadworks, when driving round thro there late at night I set the MPG display to see how high it gets. 89.7 mpg at 40mph in 5th over three miles.
Gatso triggering - SteveH42
Not something I\'m meaning to try out, but I was just wondering tonight at what point a Gatso decides you are going fast enough to flash you and by association, if you can \'trick\' it by approaching too fast but braking in time to set it off but cover the measured distance at less than the limit. Indeed, as most more modern cameras don\'t seem to need the double-check measurement, is the basic reading from a Gatso enough to get you a ticket, or is the distance measurement the only one they go on?
Camera Locations - Armitage Shanks{P}
Amazing! Lincolnshire has a dire road safety record, deaths rising year on year and cameras apparently sited to maximise revenue and nowhere near accident sites. In Leicestershire one village has asked for a camera to slow people down a bit and have been told by their Safety Partnership that they can't have one until 2 people have been killed!
Gatso triggering - BrianW
I understand that both the digital printout and road markings need to be present, in case the criminal disputes the digital reading.
? Why is a lazer gun accepted without corrobarating markings, I wonder?
You can often check the trigger point by going towards the camera at various speeds as most cameras do not differentiate between direction. (Best done on a motorbike or scooter so no incriminating evidence).
Gatso triggering - Flat in Fifth
"? Why is a lazer gun accepted without corrobarating markings, I wonder?"

Isn't it something to do with that the corroboration is provided by the expert opinion of the operating plod?

Seem to recall some debate elsewhere that such corroborating evidence cannot be provided by civilian camera operators. I don't know , nor intend to find out, if this theory is correct.