Rear wiper part of MOT? - frostbite
Can anyone tell me if the rear window wiper, where fitted, is part of the MOT test?
Rear wiper part of MOT? - Altea Ego
nope, didnt even look at it or turn it on when the scenic went in for MOT.
Rear wiper part of MOT? - Dynamic Dave
By the looks of it, the MOT only covers the front windscreen and wipers.

www.motuk.co.uk/manual_820.htm

Rear wiper part of MOT? - Mondaywoe
I think it is, actually. My sister's Xantia was in for its MOT today and they checked the rear wiper AND washer.

Graeme
Rear wiper part of MOT? - Altea Ego
Then he was just being nosey - shouldnt even be looked at UNLESS it is a hazard to pedestrians or other road users by hanging out the side of the car.
Rear wiper part of MOT? - Clanger
On each of the Synergie's 4 MoTs at 3 different garages the rear wash wipe was tested.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Rear wiper part of MOT? - Ivor E Tower
Not. I had a previous car with U/S rear wiper and washer. It went through loads of MOTs in this state and the matter was never commented on.
Rear wiper part of MOT? - Carse
Frost bite,

To avoid confusion unbolt the wiper arm (10 secs work) and then submit the vehicle. As rear wash wipe is not compulsory then it will fly through.

Just a suggestion

Carse
Rear wiper part of MOT? - SlidingPillar
There are some parts which you don't have to have to have, and if they are not fitted, not tested.

I've taken a 1972 open car for a MOT with no windscreen. Had a broken wiper motor (found that morning - since repaired) and it was quicker to take the windscreen off than mend the wiper motor. No windscreen, no wipers - that simple

A 1930 car I have has no brake lights, and no indicators. Speedo was bust when I bought it (since mended) so again I took it off. I think 1934 is the introduction date speedos although it is a darn good idea to have one.

Back to subject, this www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/mottestersgarageowners/mottes...m says

this (excerpt)

Steering and Suspension
Correct condition and operation

Wipers/Washers
Operate to give the driver a clear view of the road

Windscreen
Condition and drivers view of the road

Horn
Correct operation and type

So, just being nosy then. However with most of these things it is easiest to avoid such arguments by having the thing working.
Rear wiper part of MOT? - Dwight Van Driver
Reg 34 MV(Con and Use) Regs 1986 states that (with odd exemptions) every vehicle fitted with a windscreen shall have wipers and washers, unless the driver has an adequate view of the road ahead and to the sides. These have to be maintained.

Now is it not a fact that a windscreen is forward facing?

Says nowt about read windows/wipers/washers so not required by law. Not being a required item then not subject to MOT examination.

Highly recommended though if you want to be aware of the movement and position of vehicles to your rear on a clarty day.

DVD
Rear wiper part of MOT? - frostbite
Er, thanks chaps. So that's a definite maybe. Seems to possibly depend on who is doing the MOT.

Will bear in mind the quote from DVD in case of conflict.
Rear wiper part of MOT? - SjB {P}
I had a gander at www.motester.co.uk and also conclude that they are not part of the test. Of course, not every car has them, but there is not even a caveat that if fitted as an option, they must work, either, as applies to some items such as hazard lights on older cars.

The mentioned web site has a Q&A facility if you want it.
Rear wiper part of MOT? - Spanner Jack
I am an MOT tester.

No car is required to have a rear wiper system as part of the MOT.

Testers may examine the wiper to inform you of defects. But such defects are only an advisory item.

If you feel any item on your vehicle has been wrongly failed, ask the tester to show you the 'Reason for Rejection' in the testers manual. If it ain't in the book, it won't fail.