Oil Warning Light - Ford Mondeo - Dave E
10k miles Mondeo 1.8 SCi collected on Saturday. I have just completed around 130 miles of mixed motoring this evening when the oil light came on while doing 70-80mph on the M60.

Pulled off straight away as the next junction was close and checked the oil. I was surprised to find the level was over the max on the stick. When I restarted the light stayed off, so I drove the short trip home and fortunately the light stayed off. After about half an hour I re-checked the oil level and it was still way above the full mark. I understand that overfilling can be as bad as running underfilled but surely a main dealer would not send a car out like that?

Would overfilling cause the light to come on? If so why would it take 3 days to do so? Any info. would be greatly appreciated before I take the car back to the dealer tomorrow.

Oil Warning Light - Ford Mondeo - Wales Forester
Hi Dave,

I'm not sure whether the overfilling would cause your oil light to come on.

I had a similar problem last week which I posted about;
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=21...1

I ended up getting a mate of mine who's a mechanic at a bus garage to put the nose of my car over a pit and drain well over a pint off to get the level down to the MAX mark.
My servicing dealer is 35 miles away and I didn't want to drive the car any more than was necessary once I noticed it was overfilled.

Hope you get it/have got it sorted.
Cheers,
PP
Oil Warning Light - Ford Mondeo - Marc
The 1.8 SCi is the new petrol engine isn't it. Perhaps the recommended oil amount is lower than for the 1.8 Duratec HE (4.3 litres) and the mechanic didn't know this?

I'm presuming you had a 12.5k service carried out before delivery.
**I'm presuming you had a 12.5k service carried out before delivery**

There lies the rub. The service book has been stamped but checking the car again just now, the oil is black and very runny, in fact just like oil that is due to be replaced. And of course it is still well past the max mark.

I should be stunned that this has happened, this dealer is actually part owned by the manufacturer. But I am not, it just goes to prove that bottom line is everything. This dealer has possibly risked wrecking an engine to save a tenners worth of oil. The mind boggles. Do these people still think that the average joe is clueless to what goes on under the bonnet?

I am off to give them a good "talking to" in a mo. I will just give them enough time to wipe the sleep from their eyes.

I will keep you posted.
Oil Warning Light - Ford Mondeo - Aprilia
Given the likely amount of money you have spent on this car, I would seriously consider taking a sample of the oil and having it analysed. You might get some indication as to whether there is internal damage.
If the oil light came on at high speed then there is a good possibility that internal metal-metal contact took place and damage has occured.
Oil Warning Light - Ford Mondeo - jc
If the oil level was very high(more than an inch over the "FULL") what could happen is that the oil could froth thro' hitting the crank and con-rods when the engine is at high revs. and the mixture of oil and air would cause the pressure to drop;when the engine runs slowly or idles the air will come out and the pressure comes back.
JC,

I have just returned from the dealer and they have sorted the oil level out. Much head scratching ensued over the light tho', esp. as it came on for about 5 seconds as I drove there. All they have said is monitor it and take it back if the light comes back on?! I measured the level on the dipstick and I would say it was almost an inch over the max mark so hopefully your theory will prove to be correct and the right amount of oil will remove the problem. I must say I am a bit worried by the suggestion by Aprilia that there could be internal damage. Surely that would mainfest itself by leaving the light on permanent and an associated noise from the engine itself? It does still run very well, all said and done it is a massive improvement over the previous Duratec unit that was in my last Mondeo.

Thanks all for advice so far.

Fingers crossed and I will keep you posted.
Oil Warning Light - Ford Mondeo - Ben {P}
I would heed Aprilia's advice. Sufficient damage to cause a disturbing noise may not have occured yet, but engine damage may have occured which would shorten the life of your engine. Better to find out if there is potential for a problem now, than wait for expensive problems to develop later. I dont think the oil analysis will be that expensive- certainly cheaper than engine repairs!
Oil Warning Light - Ford Mondeo - Chas{P}
Marc

The 1.8 SCi Mondeo has the same sump capacity @ 4.3 Litres. Just checked my Ford tech data on this.

Could be a dodgy oil pressure switch. It screws into the oil filter housing. Part number 1116647 costing £4.57 inc Vat.

Be interesting whether the dealer suggests changing it.

HTH

Charles
Oil Warning Light - Ford Mondeo - Doc
I reckon it's a dodgy oil-pressure switch.

If you really suffered a loss of pressure at 70-80mph, then I am sure you would have heard the consequences.

Dave E - did you ask the dealer whether they had actually changed the oil? You said in a previous thread that it was jet black and was supposed to have been changed.
Oil Warning Light - Ford Mondeo - Peter D
If the oil level is grossly over filled the crank shaft wisks the oil into a lather and the pump can fail to reach the correct flow rate to maintain the pressure. That is why is happened at speed. You must get the oil level down. Some garages can suck it out through the oil filler tube, some with just dump a couple of lts out through the drain plug when the oil has colled down. DO keep driving this car you could/will damage the Cat. Regards PEter
Oil Warning Light - Ford Mondeo - Dynamic Dave
DO keep driving this car you could/will damage the Cat.

Er, do you mean DON'T ??
The oil was changed by the dealer yesterday and is now at the correct level. As mentioned above, they said that as the light has not remained on then there is no likelihood of a failure. It may well be as already mentioned the overfilling of oil that caused the light to come on, or a faulty switch. I did 25 miles of mixed drving after the oil was changed and the light has yet to come on. I have the car booked in next Tuesday for an unrelated fault and I will be requesting a diagnostic check.

I will let you knwo the result.
Sorry Typo DO NOT Peter
I assume that it was only the light coming that alarlmed you not a chage of engine noise. or loss of power. This can be caused by the air bubbles in the oil causing the hydraulic tappets to be compressable thus shutting the valves down a bit. It sounds as though you have got away with it dut would have note made on your file at the garage as to your concern and the problem as should you gat a premature failure in the near future you can pin it on the garage. Regards Peter
What's the drive in the new 1.8 SCi like Dave? Much better than the Duratec HE? Is the facelifted model much better than the old "new" Mondeo in terms of appointments etc?
Marc,

At the moment - apart from the oil problem - I am very impressed.

The engine is a lot quieter and smoother than on my previous 1.8 Zetec. It only has an extra 5 hp but it does feel like more. I thought the six speed box would have took a while to get used to but it works very well. No missed changes and positive gear selection is easy, even allowing for reverse position being moved to the left.

In terms of appointments over the previous Mondeo, nothing is dramatically different. Larger door mirrors, different alloys, remodelled nose, all mostly cosmetic. Although I think all now have cruise and climate as standard.

I thought my previous Mondeo was overall the best car I had owned, as a package everything was right. The new model has improved and therefore in my eyes made a very good car even better. The best bit is badge snobbery makes them a snip to buy new or used.

Oil Warning Light - Ford Mondeo - Civic8
oil pressure switch may come on ie if pressure too high the switch works both ways.there is also pressure relief valve bypassing the oil filter if pressure is greater than filter can take bypass valve does this.so not to cause any damage to engine.as oil was changed doubt any damage.all engines have a bypass so I would not worry about 1 litre of oil over top.above that yes.I would worry.
Oil Warning Light - Ford Mondeo - cheddar
I remember having the oil light come on for a few secs on my TDCi when it was nearly new, I was on the motorway though had just come around a long sweeping slip road which generated a lot of lateral G, perhaps forcing the oil to one side of the sump, the dealer could not explain it, has not happened since.
Turns out it was a faulty pressure sensor. So hopefully that will be the end of it. Although I have done almost 300 miles since the oil was reduced to the correct level, without a flicker from the oil warning light.

Thanks to all that offered advice.