Springtime mx5 - ian

Yes SW-might be obeyed has said she would like an mx-5, in october it was a range rover, anyone spot a pattern? !anyway I'm looking for some advice on where to buy without getting caned at this time of year, budget up to £7k, eunos mk1 or mx-5 mk1 or 2. With new ones going for £12.7k it does seem to make a 10year jap import at 4.5-5k retail look a tad pricey! is it possible to buy direct off the boat in auctions in dublin, I thought I had heard of this before. Otherwise any advice appreciated (uk auctions, private seller?), I'd like to keep the cost as low as possible as it will be a third/summer car but likewise the cheap older cars seem a bit too close to the much younger later version cars. HJ saw an mr2 with a hardtop go for £7.7k recently (when it was cold) now that was a bargain! Thanks, Ian
Springtime mx5 - Wilco {P}
There's quite a few on the MX5 owners club site - prices from £3500 upwards. Worth a look?

www.mx5oc.co.uk/index2.html
Springtime mx5 - stackman
There are auctions in Southampton every Monday, although I haven't been down for a while. The web page is a1carauctions.co.uk

Mostly 4x4 and People carriers but usually a smattering of Eunos Roadsters. In my experience the imports have a better specification and are in much better condition than the equivalent UK car. If you buy one over 10 years old the registration process is quick and simple.

In theory you just need to fit a fog light and put it through the MOT. For newer cars you have to put it through a full SVA at an additional cost of about £400.

Last year I bought a very tidy 1993 special edition, 56K miles car for £3,800. It had leather seats, wood steering wheel, BBS alloy wheels, factory hard top and aircon. Spent approx £600 on a full service, including new cam-belt, replacement rear window for the soft top, new water pump, fitting immobilser, mph speedo face, registration and MOT fees plus new number plates.

Underneath the car was immaculate and drove like a dream.

Used the car for 4 weeks then sold it for an £1,100 profit.

My dad bought a 1992 automatic Roadster for £4,000 spent £500 servicing and legalising it, including 4 new tyres, used it for 2 months and then made £1,200 when he sold it.

The auto is nearly as good to drive as the manual and shouldn't be dismissed.

Prices are even lower this year so don't be afraid.
Springtime mx5 - MGspannerman
Now that the kids are away and the boss no longer needs a shopping trolley/taxi I decided to do something I have always wanted to do and import a jap car just for the experience. As it happens a pal of mine in the trade did the job for me and last weekend we picked up a BRG Eunos Mk1 with hardtop, leather seats, alloys, air con, full UK spec conversion (speedo, plates, fog lamp, reg and tax) and a full service including cambelt change, new tyres all round and a new window in the soft top. The car has done a genuine 30,000 kms and mine too was spotless underneath and in the engine bay. All up the price was £2700, so not exactly a rip off. If you need any parts I can strongly recommend these chaps www.roadstercars.co.uk/ (no connection other than as a a very satisfied customer). Excellent service and substantially cheaper in many cases than MX5parts. Great fun to drive delighted with the car so far. Norwich Union insurance proved the best, over £50 cheaper than Tesco at £266.

So far delighted with the car, runs like a sewing machine and great fun to as well.

Go for it! MGs
Springtime mx5 - martint123
There have been a few 'H' reg mx-5/eunos advertised at 2000 recently in very good condition. Mind you, with the sun being out the last few days, prices are holding steady ;>)
Springtime mx5 - Vansboy
Worth checking thw Auctionview link to our left. There aren't too many around just now, but at Blackbushe last week, in one of the lease companies sections, an N plate one was offered. Not sure where they dug it up from, didn't see it sold - but someone here will have!

& so you know how the trade can pay too much for stuff, yesterday in Enfield, 3 owner,18,000mls,51 plate, sport,with bald tyres made £10,450!!

For the record Mrs Vansboy's hardtop came off yesterday & soft top was down today!!

Owners club a good place to start your search.

VB
Springtime mx5 - Solunauk
I looked for more info on the DVLA website about registering imported used cars more than ten years old. I noted they say you need, amongst other things:

A current British certificate of insurance.

Foreign registration document and any other papers you have relating to the vehicle.

Evidence showing the date the vehicle was collected (normally the invoice from the supplier).

Evidence of type approval.

The appropriate Customs and Excise form.

Two questions: How can you insure yourself for a car that isn't registered? What is the appropriate C&E form and will it be supplied by the auctioneers?

Springtime mx5 - martint123
You can get insurance on a VIN number for an import.
I think you have to supply the C&E forms - check their web site - ISTR that its just proof of duty and VAT payment so a auction house abroad can't do it.
Springtime mx5 - stackman
Insurance is no problem as martin says, just use the VIN. Similarly the MOT station will fill in the VIN on the MOT Certificate. The DVLA will then stamp the certificate and fill in the Reg No. when they issue it.

The auctions will supply the relevant import paperwork, proof of overseas registration, customs form etc.