Cambelts......again - DL
Replaced a few cambelts last week....some of the horrors I removed have been posted in the HJ Photosite (link in my sig) under the 'Problems' folder.

If this doesn't reinforce the theory of replace the belt early, together with the water pump, I don't know what will get the message through!
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Cambelts......again - MarkSmith
I read a few months ago in Car Mechanics (the section where they detail a few jobs they've done that month), that (paraphrasing) the belt was in need of replacement anyway but the customer is always happier if you tell him it was only days away from failure.

I would have to disagree with this - the customer (me) starts to suspect you are either lying or ill-informed when his car never "actually fails" but is frequently "only days away from failure".

Just my 2p worth. (And I'm certainly not saying you're lying by the way.)

While I'm writing - if the Pug owner had had his cam belt changed 2,000 miles earlier (in line with the sevice schedule) would it not have been shredded?

Cheers,
Mark
Cambelts......again - DL
I doubt it would have been so shredded but I am confident it would have exhibited the severe edge wear that is evident.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link